Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Dark Maiden of Light ❯ Dreams Part 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This is the first story I post here on mm.org, so I have no idea what it will look like. It may take me a while to make it look the way I want it to. So please wait until I have posted at least 5 chapters before making any comments about how bad it looks. Also, don't judge the story by the first chapters. You'll see why later. On a final note, this is the revised version. All author notes below are from the old version. Some mistakes were corrected, some scenes were rewritten (all script format scene are no more), others were changed or added, and the ending chapters were changed. I hope you'll enjoy it.


This is a story about Alice. She will be the only character from "Digimon Tamers" that will appear in the story. Even though the events in it have no direct connection to "Return of Chaos", it should answer some questions.


Disclaimer: I don't own "Digimon" or the characters, used in this story. They belong to someone else (I don't know who and I don't really care), so don't sue.

I own only the characters and stuff that I have created (which isn't much).



" " - speech
** ** - thoughts
< > - change in place and/or time
* * * * * * - prophecy
~ ~ - telepathy


**********


The Dark Maiden of Light


Chapter 1

Dreams

Part 1


**********


A year had passed since D-reaper was defeated. Alice was in her room, dressed in her usual black dress, her hair the same way it was when the tamers first met her. She was sitting before the screen of her laptop (black as almost everything else in the room), writing down what had happened six months ago. Her mind was fully concentrated on her memories. In her thoughts she was reliving what had happened.


Six months ago Alice was in her bed, sleeping. It was an hour past midnight; the full moon was just few days away, everything was peaceful, no trouble anywhere. Except in Alice's head, her dream to be exact.

 

<Alice's dream>

 

She was in the middle of a flower field, in the middle of the day, but the sky was dark, the sun hidden behind thick dark rain clouds. The weather seemed fine though, it wasn't hot or cold and it didn't look like it's going to rain despite the clouds. She couldn't see a living thing in any direction, there were only flowers to the end of the horizon, nothing else. The ground was flat, no hills or mountains, no trees, not even a single bush.

"Aaaaliiiiiice…" She heard a low voice, barely more than a whisper.

"Huh?" She took a look around, but saw no one. "Funny. I could swear I heard someone call my name." She took another look around, but she was alone, no living being to be seen, no movement anywhere in sight. Even the air was completely still.

"Aaaaaaliiiiiiiiice…" She heard the same voice again, this time slightly louder.

Again, there was no one around.

"Aaaaaaaliiiiiiiiiiccceee…" The call was repeated a third time. It sounded louder and it seemed to get closer to her. She thought for a second it sounded like the voice of a man, but couldn't be sure.

"Who is it?" No answer. "Who are you?" Again no answer. "Where are you?" Silence. "What do you want from me?" More silence. "Show yourself."

"Alice." The voice came from behind her. She quickly turned around and saw a floating ball of yellow light. "Wha… What are you? You're not a digimon, are you?"

"No, I'm not. I'm the dark Zeon of dreams and nightmares."

"Dark Zeon of dreams and nightmares? What do you mean? And what is a Zeon anyway?"

"I'll answer the second question first if you don't mind. A Zeon is power. We have the appearance of balls of light, usually yellow or white (or something in between). There are several types of Zeons, each giving different power: strength (and weakness), speed (and slow), energy, telepathy, creation, reformatting, dreams (and nightmares), portals, projections (illusions and stuff), teleportation, health, immobilization, control, movement and protection. There are three Zeons for each power: light, neutral and dark. As I already said, I'm the dark Zeon of dreams and nightmares."

"So this is a dream and you are the one who created it."

"As a matter of fact, yes, you're absolutely right."

"But why? What do you want from me?"

"Well, I was hoping you'll accept me."

"Accept you?"

"Yes. On our own we're not much. Sure, we have some power, but it's nothing worth mentioning. However, if someone takes us, takes our power, then that person can use that power any way he or she likes. We help that person, of course. We can talk to him, give advice or warnings, and so on. So, what do you say? Do you want me?"

"Hey, hey, hey. Not so fast. I just met you. How do I know you're not lying or hiding something? And why me? There sure are many others who would like to have you and your power. Why not one of the tamers, for example?"

"We are both dark, neither of us likes light, we prefer the darkness. But "dark" doesn't necessarily mean "evil". I think we'll understand each other well. Don't you agree, Alice?"

"Same question: Why not one of the tamers?"

"They are too nice for my liking. The only one, to whom I would offer my power, was Rika, but she changed and became too much like the rest of them. Since her digimon partner left, she has partially reverted to her old self, but it's not enough for me. If I wait for another year or two, she may eventually turn back the way she once was. But there is no guarantee, and therefor I'm not willing to wait."

"And why now? Is there some special reason you decided to make your offer now?"

"Ophanimon's Order."

"What? I don't understand."

"You asked about the reason I'm offering you my power now and I told you what it is."

"And just what is Ophanimon's Order?"

"A group of angels led by Ophanimon. They want to collect all Zeons and use their power to end the war."

"War? What war? You said nothing about a war."

"All Zeons (including me) are in the Digital world. But not in your Digital world. In our world there is a war between Armor digimon and Normal digimon. It's been raging on for a long time for reasons unknown to me. I'll bet even the leaders of the two fractions no longer remember the reason for this war. Ophanimon intends to gather all of us, then use our power to force the leaders of the two armies to accept her terms (whatever they may be) and end the war. And she's willing to do whatever it takes to achieve her goal. She doesn't care who gets in her way or what the cost of her actions may be as long as she succeeds. All her servants are fanatically loyal to her. They would die for her if she asks them to. As you can imagine, I'm not very fond of the idea of serving Miss Righteous angel, so I decided that instead of just waiting for someone to find me I'd find someone. And after a short search I chose you."

"You didn't tell me about the war. I wander what else is there that you're not telling me?"

"I can answer that."

The voice came from above. Alice looked up to see the clouds dissolve and the sun shining through. Another yellow ball flew down to Alice and stopped before her, to the left of the first.

"YOU!" The dark Zeon didn't sound very happy.

"Yes, me." The new arrival sounded calm and in a good mood. "Did you really think it would be so easy?"

"And you are…?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't introduce myself. I am the light Zeon of dreams and nightmares."

"Ah, so that's why he's not very happy that you came."

"How long have you been here anyway?" Asked the Dark Zeon.

"Oh, I was here the whole time. I was curious if you'll tell her two very important details. And besides, why should she choose you when she could choose me instead?"

"Details? What details?" Questioned the blond girl.

"Well, for example, since you're not really in our world because you're dreaming, when you take his power, he'll be able to enter your world and leave this one. That is something many want to do, but no one can. Or the fact that only a digimon can posses a Zeon so if you take his power, you'll be turned in a digimon yourself." Informed her the Light Zeon.

"A Mega digimon with the ability to turn into her former human form at will. And perhaps one or two other forms in addition." Quickly added the Dark.

"True. But neither of these two details matters. The one that is really important is the fact that the Zeon will be able to do some things even without your permission. Of course, there are some limitations, but they are not that much of a problem."

Alice turned to the Dark one with a frown on her face (something very rare for her). "You "forgot" to mention all that."

"I was about to when HE came."

"Yeah, right. Who are you kidding?"

Dark growled with anger at the second Zeon. "Will you just shut up?"

"No."

"I'm a little disappointed that you didn't invite me." Said a voice that didn't belong to Alice or either of the two Zeons.

"Great. So you're here too, eh?" Said Alice's two companions together.

Alice took a look around, but saw no one else. Then wind came from behind her and a second later a third ball of yellow light was floating before her, slightly above the other two.

"Let me guess. You're the neutral Zeon of dreams and nightmares." Said Alice looking at the new arrival.

"Correct. And I have something to add to what you were told already."

"And what might that be?" Asked the human girl.

"The fact that to have complete control over the power of any Zeon in your possession, you must follow his rules, which means that should you choose any of these two, you must act either as good or as bad depending on your choice. If you don't, you'll have less power and less control. But this doesn't go for me. With me there is only one rule: do what you like. I don't care about good or evil, light or dark. Just let your desires take control."

"Don't listen to him! Not having any rules means total chaos! Just imagine what will happen if there were no rules at all!" Shouted the Light Zeon.

"For once I agree with him. There must be rules."

"Yeah, yeah, there must be rules. YOUR rules."

Alice didn't wait to see if the three would start arguing with one another. "Hey, wait a second. If I'm not mistaken, I must choose, not you. So stop arguing, it'll bring you nothing."

"Arguing? Who said anything about arguing? We haven't even begun to argue." Told her the Dark one.

"How very true." Agreed the Light.

"The problem is you don't know what we can really offer you, so how are you going to choose? Let us show you our power." Suggested the Neutral.

"An excellent idea. Let us show you." The other two said.

"And how exactly are you going to do that?"

All three answered together. "Easy. We'll simply make a demonstration."

"Demonstration? What do you mean exactly?"

"We'll show you what we're capable of. First, we are, and you'll be too, able to enter the dreams of others, like, for example, Takato." Told her the Light one.

Suddenly the surroundings blurred and twisted around her. This lasted for just a few seconds. When things returned to normal and Alice was able to see clearly again, she was somewhere else. The place was a grass field. It was a bright sunny day. She took a look around and saw Takato and Guilmon playing.

"We are now in Takato's dream. We can see him, but he can't see us, unless we want so. This is what Takato is dreaming about in the moment. But I can easily turn this in something more pleasant."

Suddenly Guilmon was replaced wit Jeri. She looked at Takato and smiled then spoke. "Takato! I love you!"

"Uh… What?"

"Or something far from pleasant." Interfered the Dark.

Before Takato could understand the meaning of the words he had just heard and react, Jeri was surrounded by an aura of black energy and begun to change. At the same time the sky began to get darker. Jeri's transformation was completed just as the sky turned almost black and strong cold wind appeared. In her place now stood none other than the J-reaper.

"Oh, s..t!" was all Takato could say.

"Or something unexpected, like a combination of the two." Said the Neutral.

The sky returned back to normal all of a sudden. The J-reaper looked at Takato and said the last thing he expected to hear from a creature like her: "I love you, Takato!" Then, before her words could reach the part of his brain responsible for understanding heard words, she jumped at him and hugged and kissed him, which caused him to fall on the ground because she caught him off guard.

"And in any time we can return things to the way they were before our interference." Added the same Zeon.

Suddenly the J-reaper disappeared and Guilmon reappeared a few feet to the left from Takato.

"Takatomon? Are you okay?"

"Uh… What? Oh, yeah, sure, I'm fine. I'm just fine. Everything's okay. Now, where were we?" **Man, that's one weird dream I'm having.**

"Okay, I got the idea. Now let's go and let Takato enjoy the rest of his dream." Suggested Alice.

The Dark Zeon chuckled. "That's one dream he won't forget any time soon. But enough about this. Now, we are not limited to humans. We can enter the dreams of digimon too."

The surroundings blurred once more, then Alice discovered she is standing on a rocky ground with very little vegetation around. Close to her location was an Agumon, surrounded by a dozen Magnamon. He just smiled and Warp digivolved to WarGreymon.

"I suppose we're in Agumon's dream?" Guessed the human girl.

"Of course." Answered the Dark one. "Although it could easily turn into a nightmare."

Suddenly the Magnamon digivolved to Imperialdramon, then Mode Changed to Fighter Mode. WarGreymon's face paled.

"I thought Imperialdramon digivolves from Paildramon." Noted Alice.

"Normally yes. But in our world things are a little different. A Normal Imperialdramon digivolves from a Paildramon as you just said. But an Armor Imperialdramon digivolves from Magnamon. And before you ask, in our world there are two types of digivolution possible. The first is the Normal one. I believe you are familiar with this one. The second is the Armor digivolution. The names of the levels are different and are as follows: Armor, Golden Armor, and Crystal Armor, corresponding to Champion, Ultimate and Mega respectively. Armor digimon digivolve from different digimon than when they digivolve by Normal digivolution, for example Imperialdramon digivolves from Magnamon."

"First, from all that talk about digivolving I got a headache. And second, you are beginning to repeat yourself. You told me twice about Imperialdramon's digivolution. One time would be enough." Told him the blond.

"I know I repeated myself, but I just wanted to be sure you'll understand…"

Before he could finish, there was a huge explosion nearby and the ground under Alice's feet split open. Alice remained in the air, floating. While they had been talking, WarGreymon had done what he could to win, but in the end his opponents got tired of playing with him and all had attacked at once. Their attacks had barely missed him. Unfortunately, the attacks had hit the rocky field below, causing the explosion that had split the ground Alice's feet were on.

"Idiot. You forgot about the battle." Growled the Light one. The Imperialdramon all dedigivolved back to Flamedramon. "This should even the odds."

"Sorry to interrupt, but could anyone tell me how am I floating in the air like that? Why didn't I fall down?"

"Simple, silly. This is a dream. And in dreams people can fly, don't you know that? Of course, we could make the laws here the same as the laws in real world, including gravity, but what for? It wouldn't be any fun that way. This is NOT the real world." Explained the Neutral one in a bored voice.

Alice blushed at her own slow wits. "Stupid question. Sorry. Say, what else can I do that is impossible under normal circumstances?"

"Well, almost anything. Especially if it's your dream. Like walk through walls or make yourself invisible. Or turn into a digimon." Answered the Neutral.

"Turn into a digimon?"

"Of course. Here, let me show you." Offered the Light Zeon.

Suddenly Alice felt her body burst into data and change into something else. The whole process took just a few seconds. When it was done, she looked at herself and saw the body of an angel. Angewomon to be precise.

"Here. How's that?"

Alice looked at her new body for a few more seconds before answering. "Not bad, but it's a bit too light for me. I would prefer something a little darker, like this." She concentrated and felt her body burst into data for the second time. This time it took longer because Alice was doing it herself and she had no experience at this at all. When the transformation was finished, LadyDevimon took Angewomon's place. She took a long look at her body before saying: "Ah, much better."

"For someone without experience at this kind of thing that was quite impressive, Alice. But, since the battle seems to be over, may I suggest that we continue this somewhere else?" The Dark Zeon asked.

Alice took a look around and noticed that while she wasn't paying attention the battle had ended, the Mega emerging victorious. "And where should we continue this?"

"Well, how about Ophanimon's dream? After all, she's the reason we are here now on the first place." This time the Dark one didn't wait for an answer. Once again the surroundings blurred and then she found herself flying in the air. Not very far below was Ophanimon, fighting alone with multiple Megas and winning.

"In her dream she has all of us. But right now she uses only two types: the Zeons of Speed and Strength. See for yourself what would that mean." Suggested the Dark.

The angel was alone, but she was too fast for her opponents to even touch her, much less hurt her. All other digimon seemed a lot slower and weaker than normal. And even though she was fighting with her bare hands, only hitting and kicking, her strikes seemed a lot more powerful than they should be. She was slowly, but surely winning.

"See? Even the Zeons of Speed and Strength would be enough to make her almost impossible to defeat. Imagine what she would be like if she had all of us. She would be unstoppable! This would make her the undisputed ruler of our world."

"What's so bad about that? The war will end at last. Is that a bad thing?" Asked the Light one.

"No, it's not, but what about AFTER the war is over? What then?" The Neutral asked in return.

"Let's wait and see." Offered the Dark.

It didn't take long before the battle was over, all of Ophanimon's opponents deleted by her hand. Then the scene shifted and they were all at the entrance of a throne room, a large golden throne on the far end. Ophanimon walked to the throne and sat on it.

"At last it is over. The war has ended and I am the Queen of the Digital World. All will bow before me. No evil shall plague this world ever again as long as I live."

Out of nowhere many different digimon appeared and knelt before her. Only a SkullGreymon refused to kneel and was immediately destroyed.

"See? When she wins, she will become the new ruler. She will be able to destroy any digimon she thinks is evil. And for her ALL viruses are evil. Especially fallen angels such as Devimon." Said the Dark Zeon.

"What if she's wrong? Just because a digimon refuses to obey her doesn't make him evil." Pointed the human girl.

"You know that and we know that. But she thinks she's the ultimate good and therefor all good digimon will serve her. Only the evil ones will refuse."

"Why would a good digimon refuse to obey her?" Questioned the Light Zeon.

"Why should anyone serve her? If I was a digimon, I would never obey her." Declared Alice.

"Why? What's so bad about serving the digimon that will stop the war?"

"I want to be able to make my own decisions, not follow someone else's. Besides, I already showed you what digimon I would be if I was one. And LadyDevimon is a virus. Does this make me evil?"

"No, but you're human, even if you turn into a digimon. So you have nothing to worry about."

"As if Ophanimon will stop to ask her if she's human or digimon. She would first kill her and ask questions later." Countered the other two.

"Enough about Ophanimon. Is there anything else you have to say or show to me?"

"First let's go back to your dream." Said the Dark.

The familiar blur appeared and a second later Alice found herself back to the place she had been when she met the Zeons.

"As you were told, in dreams you can do many things. You can show people certain things like some secret place or warn them about something, like a powerful digimon they will meet soon. You can be anything and anyone you want. You make the rules, especially in your own dreams, but with one of us it doesn't really matter. It is true that the person having the dream has the most control, but with our help you could turn the dream into anything you want."

"We could keep talking about what we're capable of, but which one of us is the best in all of it? Words won't answer that question." Added the Neutral.

"Do you have a suggestion?" Questioned the Light.

"Yes. Let's play a little game tomorrow night here, in Alice's dream. For me this is the best way to show her which one of us is the best." Answered the Neutral.

"What kind of game exactly?" Asked the Dark.

"Battle between various digimon. It will take both power and knowledge to win."

"An excellent idea." Agreed the Light

"Why wait? Why not now?" Questioned the Dark.

"Alice had enough for one night. Let her rest and think about it. We'll continue tomorrow." Replied the Neutral.

"Would you mind if I play too?" Asked Alice, surprising all three.

"I don't understand why do you ask? It is your dream after all so you need no permission from us." The Neutral one sounded almost surprised by the girl's question.

"In that case I will play too. But I'll be on my own in the game. So there will be four sides."

"Agreed." Accepted all three.

Then the Zeons disappeared, leaving Alice alone.


When Alice woke up in the morning, she wondered if it was just a strange dream or something more. She decided not to tell anyone about her dream and to wait for tonight and see for herself how much of it was real.



**********


Well, the first chapter is finished. Not much happening, it was sort of a prologue. There's one other thing I would like to say. The main story will begin in chapter 5. The first four have no direct connection to it (although what happened in them may affect things later). If you spot any mistakes or have any comments (or anything else), send me a review. An, if possible, please answer any questions I may ask in future chapters by e-mail instead of reviews.