Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Paladin of Darkness ❯ The truth hurts ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
 
The team just couldn't take their eyes off the picture on Izzy's computer screen. “I can't believe it.” Kari said. “Davis can't be the Paladin of Darkness. There's got to be a mistake.”
 
“Izzy, are you sure about this?” asked TK. “Maybe your computer's made a mistake.”
 
Izzy shook his head, and said that he checked all the systems before doing the scan, and after. “There is no mistake.” he said. “I ran the Paladin's DNA check, and his Digital code… and well see for yourself.”
 
He clicked the mouse to show everyone the two codes, and DNA numbers, and the screen flashed a slogan. “Perfect-Match”
 
“Then that means that Davis is the Paladin of Darkness.” said Gatomon.
 
Izzy nodded. “And there's more. Just look at this...” he showed them all a picture of Veemon, and then found out that he was indeed the Paladin's Red-Ex-Veemon. The others didn't bother to ask, as there was no other explanation.
 
“Whoa! This is really bad.” Yolei said. “I can't believe this.”
 
Tai was most outraged. “Man, how could Davis, and Veemon do this to us?” he said.
 
Matt nodded in agreement. “Yeah, I mean sure they can act all crazy at times, but never this.”
 
Ken thought it over, and then he suddenly remembered. “The Dark Ocean!” Everyone turned to face him. “What's that Ken?” Yolei asked.
 
“The Dark Ocean.” replied Ken.
 
Wormon immediately caught on to what Ken was thinking. “Of course, don't you all see.” he said. “The Scubamon; somehow they must have cast a spell on Davis and Veemon and are controlling their minds.”
 
Then this was defiantly another reason for them not to give up. They had to keep on fighting, they had to break the Scubamon's curse, and save Davis and Veemon.
 
“But wait… how can we be sure about this?” Cody asked. “Yeah, I mean, if Davis and Veemon are really against us, then how can we prove it?” added Upamon.
 
Nobody had any ideas, and even so they had to head to school. Even though the Digital world was in grave danger, their normal live duties still called.
 
Meanwhile
 
Davis was at school that day, and surprisingly his marks had gone way up the past couple of days. All his exams and homework assignments were perfect. Though no one could figure out why.
 
 
Veemon was in the playground with others, but still not wanting to play. The others decided to keep their distances from him until they knew for sure what was going on.
 
After school
 
Kari went to the library to get a book for Izzy about different dimensions. It would be a big help for them to locate Gennai and get him back before he would completely be gone.
 
“Pst… Kari look.” Gatomon whispered. Kari looked over and saw Davis sitting quietly by himself, studying. Something nobody had ever seen him do much. The girls decided there was only one way to get to the bottom of this.
 
They walked over to him. “Hey, Davis.” Kari said softly.
 
Davis looked up and smiled. “Hey, what brings you here?” he said cheerfully.
 
Kari and Gatomon immediately dropped their act. “Davis… look. We know…” Kari paused and she looked around to make sure no one was listening. “I know you're the Paladin of Darkness.”
 
Davis's features quickly hardened into a evil sneer, as he snapped his book shut. He looked right at Kari's eyes. “Well Child of Light…” he said in a deeper voice.
 
Kari and Gatomon gasped softly.
 
“You should also know… that you, your little fur-ball friend, and the others will soon be destroyed!”
 
“Let us help you.” cried Kari. “We can break the Scubamon's spell.” added Gatomon.
 
Veemon popped his head out from Davis' backpack. “The Shcubamon are our people.” he said sternly. “And we are their grateful warriorsh.”
 
Davis nodded as he picked up his backpack. “Already the Digital world is being flooded by the Dark Ocean, and once it has covered it all… this world will be next.”
 
Veemon nodded. “Too bad none of you will be around when that happensh.” he sneered. “Evil will rule all.”
 
Kari held Davis' hand, almost as if she were begging him. “Davis… Veemon, please… lets us help you.”
 
Davis wretched himself out of her grip, and his and Veemon's eyes glowed red. “You have been warned.” Then he walked away, and Veemon blew the girls a raspberry.
 
Meanwhile
 
The Scubamon were taking the time to enjoy themselves in the new Dark Digital world. Eating rotted seafood's, and drinking dirty salt-water. “Ugh! Remind me never to ask you boys out to dinner.” said Shadow-Ophanimon.
 
“Cheer up, my friend.” said the Ring Leader. “We can all rest assured that the Digital world is ours now, and very soon we shall conquer the human's world as well. Heh, heh, heh…”
 
Meanwhile
 
Everyone met at Izzy's apartment. “So you two spoke with Davis and Veemon?” asked Matt.
 
“Yeah… and their eyes were glowing red with darkness.” cried Kari.
 
Gatomon nodded. “They have been plotting against us all this time, and they are definitely out to get us.”
 
The others were now more than convinced that Davis and Veemon were defiantly under an evil spell. It explained a lot of things…
 
-Why they were acting so weird.
-Why they weren't showing up when they were needed.
-Why none of the evil Digimon had been going after them.
 
It even made sense as to why they said they hated TK and Patamon. “They were talking about their jealousy over our little rivalry in the past.”
 
Kari was still having a hard time grasping the awful truth. Davis was such a good guy, and she was hoping he'd ask her out one day. “He was getting to be such a sweet guy… how could this happen to him?”
 
Yolei and Ken finally realized something. They had quite forgotten what they were supposed to tell Kari and TK about what happened a few days ago.
 
“Uh… Kari…” Yolei said. “There's something Ken and I have been meaning to tell you and TK.”
 
Kari and TK raised their eyebrows in confusion, but they let Yolei and Ken explain to them, and boy were they surprised. “Davis did want to ask me out?” Kari asked. “But… then why didn't he, I would've said yes.”
 
Ken drew in a huge breath. “Well… the thing is…” he paused. “He saw you with TK at the flower shop in the streets.”
 
“What?” TK asked. “He was there?”
 
Yolei and Ken nodded, and the kept on explaining that both Davis and Veemon saw everything. TK and Patamon giving the girls flowers like that, and the girls hugging them…
 
“Oh, no, no, no…” TK replied. “Those flowers were for my mom.”
 
Patamon nodded in agreement. “We only gave the girls a flower as a friendly gift, and they hugged us for the thought.”
 
This now made a whole lot of sense. Davis and Veemon misunderstood the whole thing, and became emotionally unstable. That must've been when the Scubamon attacked them and cursed them with the darkness, and they weren't able to fight it off in their unstable moment.
 
“Well, that's it then.” Joe said. “We got to get back in the game. We have to save Davis and Veemon.”
 
“And make the Scubamon pay.” added Mimi.
 
Everyone nodded in agreement, and then suddenly Izzy, who was calling from the Digital world, his face appeared on the screen and he had the most wonderful news for them all.
 
“I did it.” he cried. “I located Gennai, it wont be long now, guys.”
 
The others all shared a soft cheer for joy. Gennai would be back soon, and hopefully he'd be able to help them.
 
Meanwhile
 
Red-Ex-Veemon, Shadow-Ophanimon, and the Paladin of Darkness were being briefed by the Scubamon. “The time has finally come.” the ring leader said. “We shall now invade the human's world and conquer it for our own.”
 
“Go forth, our warriors, and destroy the Digi Destined once and for all.”
 
“We won't let you down.” said Red-Ex-Veemon.
 
“Those brats are as good as gone.” added Shadow-Ophanimon.
 
Soon, they had warped to the real world, and began to scare the living daylights out of all the citizens of Obadia with their presence.
 
“Hmm, mm, mm… look at them run.” the Paladin sniggered. “Soon all this shall belong to the Dark Ocean, once I and my friends destroy the Digi Destined, FOREVER!! Hmm, mm, ah, ah, ah! HMM, MM, MM, AH, AH, AH!!”