Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Quest for Hope ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: I don't own Digimon. Alternate Universe. There is OCCness in here I'm sure. Currently we have Taiora and Hikari/Iori. Eventually there will be Yamajyou, Kenkeru, and Daishiro. So there is yaoi (and yuri BTW).

There once were two societies who lived side by side. One was the Fay and one was the Vallen. They lived in peace side by side. The Fay lived in the valley and the Vallen lived on the hills outside. In time, they lost contact with each other and one did not see the other for many years….

This is the story of how they became reconnected to each other.

Yamato looked at his friends playing and sighed. He knew that he would never be as happy as them. He had lost both of his parents when he was seven and his little brother Takeru was four. They had both been raised by the mages Luana and Kia. They were both wonderful to both of them, but they could not heal the loneliness that he and his brother both had. None of the Fay could. And none of the Fay could understand what the brothers were going through day after day. The Fay had always had each other. Each Fay that was born had a soul mate among the Fay and usually they found each other when they were young. However, Yamato and his brother had never found their soul mates. Yamato's playmates Taichi and Sora had both found each other and Takeru's playmates Hikari and Iori had also both found each other. It had been a good day and a bad one for the brothers. They were happy for their friends, but sad that they had no one.

Takeru looked up and saw his brother sitting in the tree with his hands around his knees. Takeru flew up and hovered in front of his brother.

"Being sad again?"

"I don't like being outside of everything."

"We aren't outside of everything. We just don't have anyone like they do."

Yamato uncurled and his brother flew into his lap. Yamato hugged Takeru to him and Takeru put his arms around his brother. The two of them stayed together comforting each other as they looked down on their friends playing.

Hikari looked up into the tree. She saw the two brothers up in the tree. Yamato often didn't come and play anymore. Very often the two brothers were with the mages as well as comforting each other. She didn't understand the two. Why were they always with the mages? It was believed that they were trying to help the brothers find their soul mates. Everyone else had found theirs years ago, but they still had no one but each other. Hikari could not imagine life without Iori.

"Kari! Watch out!"

Kari looked behind her and just caught the shining ball of light zipping toward her.

"Tai….You, you…."

Tai laughed and hid behind Sora. Iori came up and hugged Kari from behind. "You should be watching when we're playing Tag Ball. Now you get to try to hit one of us. Is Takeru out of the game?"

"I would guess so. He's up in the tree with Yamato."

"Yamato really needs to play more and be sad less," said Taichi. "Being sad never fixed anything. So come down and play!" Taichi yelled up into the tree. "Come on!"

Yamato looked at his brother. He had fallen asleep in his arms. Yamato knew that Takeru had not been sleeping well lately. Luana had said that Takeru had been having dreams of being separated forever from the Fay. He knew that the Fay would not throw them out, but he was very worried about what would happen in their future.

"Taichi, not now. Takeru is asleep. I don't want to wake him up."

"Well, then fly down here and we'll let him sleep underneath the tree. Come on. Let's play."

"Taichi., no. I don't want to."

"Yamato…"

"Taichi, just leave him be. He's not going to come down," Sora said to her mate. "Let's just go ahead and play without him. Maybe he'll join in later."

The four Fay continued their game. A few moments later they heard Luana call for Yamato and Takeru. Yamato gathered up Takeru and flew across the field to home.

Luana watched as Yamato landed in front of her. "Takeru fell asleep during Tag Ball?" She smiled at Yamato.

Yamato shook his head. "He came to comfort me when I didn't feel like playing. He fell asleep in my lap."

"I'll go put him into bed. Kia has something that she wanted both of you to look at, but I think she'll understand." Luana gently took Takeru from his brothers arms. "Now go on and see what Kia found for you to study."

Yamato walked toward the study where he knew that Kia was usually holed up researching. Luana loved her soul mate very much, and never minded taking care of the house and the brothers that had moved in with them after their parents' death. Kia had taken care of educating the brothers.

Luana walked into Takeru's bedroom and gently put him on the bed. Takeru snuggled down into his pillow. Luana stroked the blonde's hair. "I wish there was another way. But you are our last hope."

Luana shut the door quietly behind her. She leaned against it. There wasn't much time left now. Yamato and Takeru would know the whole truth. And she simply didn't know how either one of them would take it.

******************************************************************** **************

Daisuke began tapping his pencil on the table. He sighed and leaned back in his chair. He hated waiting. He looked across the table at his friend, Ken. Ken was buried deep in his book.

"What are you reading?"

"A history of mathematics book."

"Why are you always studying?"

"Daisuke, we are in a library."

"I thought that we were in the library to see him."

"Correction. You are in the library to see him,. I am here because you asked me too. And since I am here I decided to study. Sometimes I do wonder about you."

"Wonder what?"

"I wonder if you are part Fay."

Daisuke remembered what was said in class that afternoon. Their teacher had been going over their history and had talked about the disappearance of the Fay. The leading theory was that the Fay had intertwined with them so that there were no Fay any longer. It wasn't one of Daisuke's favorite theories. He liked believing that the Fay were still out there somewhere.

Well, sometime his current love interest would come in. At least that's what he had said. Daisuke sighed and continued to tap his pencil. He stared at the front door.

Ken shook his head and went back to reading his book. He didn't understand why he was here with Daisuke. Ken wasn't interested in either girls or boys. He was much more interested in books and learning strange facts that he could come across.

The front door opened and in walked two older boys. The smaller one came in and went directly to Daisuke's and Ken's table. The taller one followed. He had a backpack filled with books with him.

"Sorry for being late. We got delayed when Jyou wanted to stop at his house and get some books to read." Koushiro sat down next to Daisuke.

"They don't have the books I need here to finish my research."

Jyou sat down next to Ken. He pulled the books out of his backpack and put them on the table. He picked up the one on top and started reading. Ken kept on reading his book through all of this.

"Do you ever think that they will stop?" Daisuke asked.

"Maybe when they find someone to be with. Jyou still hasn't been interested in anyone."

"We're doomed to have friends who spend more time in books than anything else."

"Well, let me go show you what I found in the computer system yesterday. It was really interesting." Koushiro stood up and walked to the computer lab in the library. Daisuke stood up.

"Guys we're leaving for the lab, OK?" Ken looked up at Daisuke and nodded. Jyou simply shrugged. Daisuke shook his head and went to the lab. He sat down beside Koushiro who was logging on to the system. "Sometime they will react to something."

"They react to some things. Remember when you decided to hide Ken's books?"

Daisuke smiled. "Well I had to get his attention somehow. But that didn't last long. He simply chewed me out and went to the library to get some more. I would love to see something that would make him react with human beings instead of books."

"What about me? I'm always on the computer."

"Yes, but you do talk to me and share what your working on without me constantly bugging you. Ken doesn't tell me anything unless I become an absolute pest."

The computer beeped. Koushiro started typing. "Here let me show you this." The two boys started looking at the computer. A couple of hours later they came back to their friends. Jyou had taken over the whole table with open books and papers. Ken had moved to a nearby armchair. Ken's book was resting on his lap while he was looking out the window.

"Jyou, still working on your research paper?" Daisuke asked.

"Yes. I'm still writing down all the legends I can about magic."

Ken glanced over at Jyou. "Will you ever decide to stop chasing that dream of yours?"

"It is possible that it exists. The Fay…."

"The Fay are long gone. They were probably just different. They probably had no magic at all, just a different way of looking at things that over time we turned into magic."

Ken looked out the window again. Daisuke sat down next to him. "What's wrong now? You've known for a while about Jyou's research."

"I don't know. I just feel empty."

"I know that you and Jyou are both at the top of your classes. I know that you do like him."

Ken sighed and looked at his friend. "Jyou is a friend Daisuke. Nothing more."

Jyou started to pack up his things. "And Daisuke you forgot that I would be a part of this too. And I too only see Ken as a friend. No matter what you want to make us into, that's the way it is."

Ken went to check out his book and then the four boys went out the door.

"So ice cream anyone?" Koushiro asked.

"Sounds ok," said Jyou.

"OK," agreed Ken

"Great," said Daisuke. And the four boys headed off.