Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ To Catch A kido ❯ To Catch A Kido ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

To Catch A Kido - Mimi's POV

60 FT…

50 FT…

40 FT…

30 FT…

20 FT…

10 FT…

TOUCHDOWN!

Finally! After several hours of being stranded at an average height of 30 000 FT, the plane lands at Tokyo National Airport. How I've missed Japan? My home, the place of my birth, this is where I belong!

"Attention all passengers! We will be disembarking the plane in ten minutes. Thank you for flying Japanese Airways, flight 180 non-stop from New York to Tokyo."

I took a vanity mirror out of my bag and stared at my reflection, Mimi Tachikawa how you've changed, will Joe Kido still recognise you?

Strong-willed…

Physically tougher…

Smarter too…

Incredible dress sense…

And pink hair…

Oh yeah! That's me, a fashion statement with an attitude!

"Mimi dear, will you be okay at your friend Sora's house?" My mother asks me.

"Sure Mom." I reply flashing my best smile.

"Okay, say hello to Karaoke Kido for me and your father if you see him."

"Er… o-kay mom."

I'm not sure why but everytime I mention Joe's name, my parents burst into a fit of giggles. They refuse to tell me why and when my back is turned they start humming "What Is Love? By Haddaway" while doing body movements that resembles ancient rain dances. It's been happening like that ever since the night Joe had dinner with us. I wonder why, it probably must be middle age creeping on them. Yep! Defiantly middle age!

"You do have the number of the hotel we're staying at?"

"You bet dad, I've got it memorised."

"That's my girl."

My parents will be staying at a hotel located on the outskirts of Odaiba. My father had recently received an offer for a better job, it's for some company located outside of Odaiba, that's why they are staying in a hotel in the meantime. My father will have no trouble getting that job, especially with all his experience from his previous position in New York. We'll be house-hunting within a month!

The reason why I'm staying with my good friend Sora is that I'll be closer to my old neighbourhood where all my old friends stay. It will also give me a chance to get back together with Joe Kido. It's weird, by appearances you would say that we don't "fit" together, me a model/princess and him a studious book-worm, I adore attention and he prefers solitude. People say we are like "chalk and cheese," too different, but they're wrong! Haven't they ever heard of the saying, "opposites attract," I mean, what's Yin without Yang? I think we compliment each other quite nicely.

"Mimi, come dear, everyone has already left the plan."

"Oops! Sorry mom, I must've zoned out again."

Minutes later in the airport terminal…

"Sora!"

"Mimi!"

Sora Takenouchi, one of my old friends from Japan!

"Wow! Mimi you've changed."

"I'm not the only one. You look great!"

She did, sometime over the last couple of years she had traded her tomboy image for something more feminine.

"You must be exhausted from your flight."

"Yep! This jet lag is killing me. Let's get a cup of coffee before we leave." I yawned.

"Sure thing Mimi, I could do with one myself."

I quickly said goodbye to my parents and promised them I would give them a call as soon as I'm settled in at the Takenouchi residence. Afterwards, Sora and I made our way to the airport restaurant and ordered two cups of coffee.

"So how is everyone?" I asked.

"Fine! Everyone's fine, Tai and Matt are still good friends although they do have an occasional fight that I have to break-up. Izzy, Yolei and Ken, our resident smart group are usually together."

"Go on." I urged her.

"TK and Davis are not far away from Kari, they make quite a nice little trio."

"And…" I asked.

"Oh, I almost forgot about Cody, everyone's favourite Kendo master, he is either with Yolei or TK, Davis and Kari."

"And…?" I asked again, my voice a little anxious and annoyed.

"And what?"

"SORA!"

"Er… yes Mimi?"

"Joe! What about Joe?"

"Joe? He's… um…"

I could sense that something was wrong. Sora's tone was uneasy, almost as if she wanted to avoid talking about Joe. Nevertheless, I needed to know I just had to, it was important to me. I paced my finger underneath her chin so that I could tilt her head to meet my gaze and said…

"Please Sora, I need to know, please tell me, tell me about Joe. Is he okay?"

Sora knew from my expression and tone of voice that I was concerned.

"He's okay, physically but…"

"But what?"

"Emotionally, he's… in a bad state."

"Why?"

"Oh Mimi, it's a long story, are you sure you want to hear it?"

"I'm sure, please Sora, tell me."

"Well it all started on the day you left for America."

"The day I left? But… but he was fine, I was crying more than anyone else."

"True but after your plane departed and most of the group had left, it was just me and him."

"How was he?"

"Fine actually, but when we were leaving the airport lounge he broke down."

"Oh no!"

"Oh yes! It was all those emotions that he kept bottled-up since he heard the news of you leaving for America."

"Did he say anything?"

"Well, after comforting him for almost a hour he opened-up to me, he told me how he felt about you."

"What did he say about me?"

"He also asked me to keep this information just between me and him, I don't think I can tell you."

"But Sora you must, how will I know what to do if you don't tell me?"

"Okay I'll tell you but remember, Joe trusted me with the conversation we had. I don't want to betray his trust in me but I know that you are the only one who can help him."

"I completely understand Sora."

"Okay, first he told me how special you are to him."

"He did?"

"Ah huh. He told me that you were the first girl that he ever opened up to. You are the only person he trusts with his emotions, while he has always been a private person, you know, always studying and stuff like that. You showed him that there's more to life that studying and books."

I couldn't believe what Sora had just told me about Joe. I never knew that I changed his life so much. But there was nothing that could prepare me for what Sora said next…

"He also said that he loves you."

I almost choked on the coffee I was drinking. Shocked and speechless, all I could do was nod for her to continue.

"When you left, he felt his heart break. After that he changed."

"Changed?"

"Yes, it was very little at first, spending less time with the group, burying himself deeper into his studies. It got worse everyday. Then before you knew it, he stopped hanging out with us and dedicated himself entirely to his studies! It's almost as if he feels that he can only rely on books, I think he has lost faith in human nature."

"Oh no! Sora what have I done?"

"It's not your fault Mimi. It's just something he needs to deal with himself."

"But Sora, I'm responsible, there must be something I can do. There has to be!"

"It's getting late. I suggest we go home, we can figure out what to do tomorrow. You know, make a fresh start."

"Sigh! Okay Sora."

We then made our way out of the airport lounge to hail a taxi.

"TAXI!"

A second later a sport looking and yellow coloured taxi pulled up in front of us.

"Where to ladies?" Asked the crazy looking green-haired Hawaiian shirt wearing cab driver.

Sora gave the cabbie directions while I tossed my luggage in the trunk of the cab. A minute later we were on our way to Sora's apartment.

Sigh!

All I could think about during the cab ride to Sora's place was Joe. I caused him pain, pain that affected him in ways I could not imagine. I felt horrible but was determined to change all that.

I wiped away a solitary tear from my eye, my heart still sad from what Sora had told me. Joe had suffered far too long, I knew that I had to fix this problem soon.

"Don't' worry Joe, Mimi's back and she's going to make it all better." I said to myself as I fell asleep

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz…

"Huh? What? Where am I?"

I had awoken in unfamiliar surroundings.

It took a moment for my eyes to adjust. Then I remembered I was in the Takenouchi guestroom but what happened last night? My mind raced through the events of the previous evening…

The flight from New York to Japan…

Meeting Sora…

The conversation about Joe…

The taxi drive…

WAIT! HOLD IT! LET'S JUST BACK UP A BIT!

The taxi drive… no!

The conversation about Joe…

Joe…

Poor Joe!

Realisation had dawned on me, I had broken his heart, made his life empty and soulless. I remembered the promise that I had made in the taxi. It was time, time to put things right, and that moment was NOW!

Rumble!

But first some breakfast.

"Sora?"

No answer!

"Hello? Sora? Mrs. Takenouchi? Is anybody here?"

Still no answer, where is everyone? Hello? What's this? It looks like a note from Sora.

Dear Mimi

Sorry I'm not here but I had to go with my mom to buy some flowers for her shop. I didn't want to disturb you but you were sleeping so peacefully. Anyway, make yourself at home. I should be back around noon.

Sora

Well, that explains the empty presence in the apartment. Back around noon, okay, what is the time anyway?

09h27 AM

Roughly, two and a half-hours before Sora returns. Hmmm, I really want to find Joe as quickly as possible but I might need Sora's help to find him. Let's see now, it's summer so, the schools are closed therefore I won't find him there. He could be at home, maybe the library, summer school or perhaps wondering the streets of Odaiba. Sora was more familiar with the terrain than me but she wasn't here and helping Joe awaited.

This left me with two possible options…Wait for Sora Find Joe on my own

I would've waited for Sora to return, really I would but finding Joe was my first priority. Right now, I needed to get ready…

25 Minutes Later…

Nutritional intakes… check!

Change of attire… check!

Closing the door behind me, I knew that I was ready to find Joe and all I still needed to do was yell out a battle cry…

"LET THE CHASE BEGIN!"

The most logical place to start looking first was Joe's apartment, so I quickly made haste in a westerly direction towards the Kido residence.

As I drew closer to the apartment complex where the Kido family resided, I noticed something familiar coming towards my direction at great speed. A yellow VW beetle, now why does that car seem so familiar? Of course, that's Jim's car! At that moment I noticed another occupant in the car with Jim, it was Joe!

VVVRRROOOMMM!!!!!

Before I can grab their attention, the car sped pass me. I jumped up and down while frantically waving my arms hoping that they would notice me in the rear-view mirror but it was too late, the VW beetle disappeared down one of the many side streets.

Oh man, they didn't see me, now what? The Kido apartment was not an option anymore but by judging the direction that the car drove I knew that they were heading towards The GigaMall, the biggest and most popular shopping mall in Odaiba. With renewed optimism, I continued my journey.

I had came across a 50's style drive-in diner called "Happier Days" My word, it felt as if I'd stumbled into an old American sitcom. I was about to take a trip to nostalgic land when a strange yet slightly familiar voice caught my attention.

Aaaay!!!

It was Matt, dressed in a black leather jacket, a white T-shirt and blue jeans. Upon closer inspection I noticed that he was polishing a motorcycle, I never knew he had a motorcycle let alone a license to ride one.

"Yo! Mimi!" He called while snapping his fingers as if to signal me to come over.

Oh well, it could hurt to say hello.

"Hi Matt! How is everything?"

"Cool! So what brings you back to Japan?"

"I'm looking for Joe, have you seen him?"

"Yeah, I did."

"Great!"

"But not today."

I sighed out in obvious annoyance.

"Hey, not to worry though, if I do, you'll be the first one to know, okay?"

"Thanks Matt, you're a real friend."

"Whatever." He shrugged carefree.

The question was burning inside me. I just had to know!

"Er… Matt?"

"Yea' Mimi."

"Is this your motorcycle?"

"Nope, I have no idea whose it is."

"Then why are you polishing it?"

Matt quickly glanced around to see if anybody was listening to our conversation and then whispered to me.

"It makes me look even cooler than I already am, aaay."

I could only stare blankly at him as he continued.

"Besides, you won't believe what a powerful babe magnet a motorcycle is. If you get my drift."

"I totally agree with you." I replied sarcastically while flashing him my best smile.

"Of course you agree, it's starting to work on you as well."

"Not me but look at that large group of girls that's coming this way." I answered pointing in the direction of a large group of girls carrying 'I love Matt Ishida!' signs that were rapidly approaching us. "Isn't that June Motomiya leading them?"

Matt's relaxed expression was quickly replaced with a look of panic as he noticed the large herd of crazed female idol worshippers heading in our direction.

"OH NO! FANGIRLS! Quickly Mimi you have to help me!"

"Help you? I thought you wanted to attract hordes of girls?"

"Hey! Even the great Matt Ishida has his limits. Are you going to help me or not?"

"Okay, I'll help you. What do you want me to do?"

"I'll hide and you deny my existence!"

Matt quickly dove into a nearby bush as the stampeding mass of girls approached. I couldn't help but feel a little intimidated, being flattened by crazed fangirls was not high up on my "to do" list. I was hoping that they would pass right by but instead they stopped in front of me.

"Hey, aren't you that Mimi Tachikawa kid?" Their self-proclaimed leader, June Motomiya asked me.

"Well… yes, that's me."

"You're friends with Matt Ishida, right?"

"Ah huh."

"Oh goody! Please tell us where we can find him."

"I'd love to help but I've just arrived from New York last night and I haven't had any contact from Matt yet."

"Awww!" The crowd cried out in disappointment.

"But if I do, you lot will be the first to know."

"Thanks kid!" Smiled an optimistic June, "Let's continue our search girls!"

With that, the group continued searching for Matt. Once I was sure that they were a fair distance away, I motioned for Matt to come out of hiding.

"Thanks Mimi, you saved me."

"No problem but I still don't understand, I thought you would adore being around loads of girls."

"Normal girls, yes! Fangirls are a completely different species."

"What could be so bad about fangirls?"

"Trust me, you'll never understand until you get a fangirl of your own."

"Ha ha!" I laughed sarcastically.

"Perfecto!"

Oh no, it couldn't be! I slowly turned around only to see an overzealous Yolei Inoue.

"Mimi! My sister, you're back! It's so good to see you again!" She cheered while practically hugging me to the point of suffocation.

"It's… good to… see you too Yolei." I managed to utter between breaths.

I looked over to Matt, who had a small smirk on his face. He then mouthed to me the word, "Fangirl," while pointing to Yolei with his index finger

Yolei then proceeded to bombard me with more questions than a quiz show, "When did you get back? How are you? Did you come all this way just to hang out with me? Will you be my sister?"

Oh boy! What I wouldn't give for a lifeline right now.

"One question at a time Yolei and could you loosen your hold on me a little, please?" I pleaded through clenched teeth, while trying to squirm out of the vice-like grip she had on me.

"Oops! Sorry, I guess I got a little bit carried away there. It's just that I'm so happy to see you again, sorry if I caused you any discomfort."

"Don't worry about it, I'll be fine."

"That's good! Say Mimi, would you like to hangout with me? It would be a great honour for me to be with a fashion savvy person such as yourself."

"Well, I'd love to but… there is something really important that I have to do first."

"Aww!" Groaned an extremely disappointed Yolei. "Are you sure? Can't you postpone it?"

"Afraid not."

I was expecting a dejected look from Yolei but instead was greeted by a sly smile. Oh boy, I knew this look all too well. She was psyched up!

"Okay then, I'll come with you!"

Yep! There it is, that trademark Yolei gang-ho spirit, and when she is like this, there's no arguing with her!

"Er… sure!" I replied very reluctantly.

"Perfecto! Let's move out!" Yolei began her military style march. "LEFT! RIGHT! LEFT! RIGHT! COMPANY HALT!"

Well, there she stood. There I stood, along with Matt, both of us confused! Finally, Yolei turned to face us, her face registering no emotion at all and eyes closed in deep concentration. Matt and I looked at each other, he shrugged, I shrugged, and then we turned back to Yolei with questioning looks on our faces, hoping for an answer.

"Sorry Mimi! I so got caught up in the moment that I forgot to ask you exactly where we're going!" Explained Yolei, who was extremely red-faced.

I rolled my eyes, Matt nearly fell off the motorcycle he was sitting on. Typical Yolei!

"The GigaMall Yolei! That's where I am, er… I mean WE are going."

"Right! We better get going, we're losing sunlight. Times-a-wasting! Let's go-go-go!"

With that, Yolei resumed her marching, at least this time she knew where she was going. I was about to catch up with her when Matt called out to me.

"Hey Mimi! I like your new fangirl!"

Grrrrrrr!!!

"Hey Matt! Would you do me a favour?"

"Sure! What can I do for you?"

"SIT ON IT!"

It wasn't too difficult to catch up with Yolei, the sight of her marching had cause the various classes of pedestrians to flee in terror. The braver ones pressed themselves up against walls or hid behind trees and bushes to avoid her, this of course left the route she had taken free of obstacles for me to follow.

"So, Mimi, what are we going to do at the GigaMall, a little bit of shopping?"

"Nope, I trying to find Joe."

"Joe? At the GigaMall? Wouldn't the library be a better chose?"

"It would but I already spotted Joe along with Jim heading in this direction."

"Okay, but that still doesn't explain why you're looking for him."

After a quick explanation, I had managed to clarify my motives to Yolei, she was actually quite sympathetic to my cause and offered to help me in whatever way she could. For this, I was extremely thankful, having a person as determined as Yolei would surely be very advantageous in my search for Joe.

It wasn't long before we reached the GigaMall, an awe-inspiring site to say the least! It was practically the size of a small country, populated with every kind of shop known and unknown to man. So large in fact that it has it's own tram on rails (quite similar to the kind used in San Francisco) within this massive complex to take you from one end to the other.

"Where to first Mimi?"

"I'm not sure, where do you think Joe would hang out?"

"You don't know?" Asked Yolei in disbelief, "I thought you and Joe were an item."

"What has that got to do with knowing where Joe could be?"

"Well, normally when two people become an item, they begin to gain a deeper understanding about each other."

"Really?"

"Of course!"

"And where did you learn this little nugget of information?" I asked curiously with a sly smile on my face.

"It's not important! What IS important is that you try to think of a place where Joe could be!"

"I don't know!"

"Don't give up so easily Mimi, try to think of a place where Joe would feel comfortable, a place that he has something in common with."

Yolei was right, I couldn't give up now! I had already came all the way from another country to be reunited with him, so there was no reason at all for me to give up now. What I needed to do was try to stay focused, where would Joe feel comfortable? Where could he be? I GOT IT!!!

"Yolei! I think I know where Joe could be!" I shouted out excitedly.

"Perfecto! That-a-girl Mimi, I knew you would figure it out, where do you think he is?"

"Books!"

"Books?"

"Yes, books! He has to be at a place with lots of books!"

"Are you sure?"

"Of course, where else would you find a bookworm like Joe?"

"I guess you're right, and now that I think about it, there is a book shop in this mall that I've seen Joe get all his reading material from."

"Really? Where is it?"

"The other side of the mall."

"That far!?!" I groaned.

"Yep! But not to worry Mimi, there is a way that we can save our shoe leather. We can ride the tram, it's definitely much faster than walking and besides that, we can enjoy the sights and sounds of the mall."

I was truly amazed! Yolei didn't just come up with a good plan but a GREAT one. After bestowing my happiness and approval upon Yolei's brilliant plan with a hug and cheer, we made our to the GigaMall's tram station. A short five-minute wait later we were on our way, our eyes taking in all the visual splendours that the mall had to offer.

Groan!

Alas, it was no use! Usually, a shopping trip to a mall would have cheered me up already but I still felt somewhat depressed. What was I going to say to Joe? What could I? From what Sora had told me, getting Joe to forgive me would be difficult, extremely difficult! I wouldn't be surprised if he ignored me complete.

"A penny for your thoughts?"

"Huh?"

"A penny for your thoughts?" Yolei repeated. "You look a bit down, is something the matter Mimi?"

Good ol' Yolei, always there for you. It certainly made me feel better that she was accompanying me, without her I think that I would have already given up on searching for Joe. It was weird, her strong personality was starting to rub off on me and emotions of self-belief and determination began to flow through my veins. I felt stronger!

"Nope Yolei, everything is fine thanks to you."

"Huh? Thanks to me? I'm sorry Mimi but I don't follow you, what do you mean by that?"

"It's nothing really, not important at all, forget about it."

"Er… okay Mimi... I think."

Might as well catch up on the local gossip while I'm searching for Joe.

"So… Yolei," I began, "How's everything going with you lately?"

"Um, er, fine I guess, no complaints actually."

"Seeing anyone?"

"W-what?" She choked out.

"You know." I nudged her lightly. "Boys! Guys! Men! Males!"

"Oh." Realisation had finally dawned on her.

"Yes, tell me everything and don't leave out a single detail. So who are you after?"

"Actually, no-one."

"N-no-one?" I said in disbelief, this was Yolei who I was talking to. She is suppose to be boy craze!

"It's true!"

I still couldn't believe it, perhaps I should pry a little more.

"What about Izzy? What about Ken? I heard from Sora that you are always with them."

"Yes but we're just friends, our relationship is strictly plutonic."

"Are you sure? There isn't a love triangle happening with you lot at all?"

"Oh Mimi, you watch too much television."

"End of the line folks!"

It was the end of the line and so we disembarked the tram.

"Which way now Yolei?"

"Just follow me, it's not very far to go now. Oh yeah, do you mind if we first make a stop at The Computer Emporium? I think it'll be very beneficial if we go there."

The Computer Emporium? Why does Yolei want to go there and how would it benefit us? I was stumped and all I could say was, "Why?"

"It's actually quite simple really, you see…" Yolei began.

"Wait! I think I know what you're going to do." I interrupted her.

"You do?"

I couldn't believe the look on Yolei's face, it was that, 'You got to be kidding me, what do you know?' type of look. What nerve! What does she think I am? Some sort of a ditz? The old Mimi was a ditz, I've grown, matured and I'm much more intelligent now! And I'll prove it, right now!

"Of course." I started confidently, "You'll probably use one of the available computer to go on-line and access a satellite to track Joe's position via GPS."

That'll wipe the grin off her face.

"Er… Mimi isn't that a little bit… you know, farfetched?"

Or maybe not.

"Just kidding! What I really was going to say is… er… that you'll use a computer to… um… access the mall's security system to locate Joe… by using the surveillance cameras."

Brilliant! A smug grin stretched across my face.

"No! That's illegal! Mimi, where on earth did you get that idea from?"

Bye-bye grin, hello slight embarrassment.

"Okay-okay-okay-okay. Perhaps you'll hack into Joe's personal banking accounts to see when and where he last used his credit card in an attempt to triangulate his possible location?"

"Nope. Wrong again!"

SSSTTTRRRIIIKKKEEE THREE!!! YOU'RE OUT!!!

"Okay! I give up! What are we going to do then?"

"Well, Izzy usually hangs out there."

"And?"

"I thought that we could ask him if he saw Joe lately. He occasionally tutors Joe on how to use a computer, even a doctor needs to know how to use a computer nowadays." Yolei explained.

"Oh."

"Yeah, but seriously Mimi, where DID you get those ideas from?"

Note to self: I have to stop watching those science fiction and action movies that populate the American television airwaves.

"Oh… I don't know." I said innocently, hoping my embarrassment would be hidden.

Before Yolei could let out a smart verbal retort, I gave her my, 'Just forget about what I just said or else' look and yanked onto her arm, dragging her towards The Computer Emporium.

"Prodigious!"

Three guesses who's catch phrase that is, the first two don't count and no life-lines are allowed!

"Izzy!"

Thanks a bunch Yolei, so much for my career as a game show host. Hmmm, maybe I could be a master chef on a cooking show instead?

"Greetings Yolei… Mimi… MIMI! WOW!!! Prodigious! What an unexpected but highly pleasing surprise, I am incredibly overjoyed to witness your most gratuitous return to Japan, welcome back!" The computer genius said while bowing in our presence every three seconds.

Quite a greeting wasn't it? Watch how I can be just as impressive…

"Um, er… hi Izzy."

...literally.

"So, Mimi, to what do we owe this unanticipated yet highly welcomed return to our home land?"

One brief yet highly informative explanation later…

"So, can you help me Izzy?"

"Fortunately, I can!" My red headed friend proudly replied.

I could not contain my excitement as jumped up and cheered, this was followed by me giving a bear hug to Izzy. His blush was clearly visible, as was the highly pleased grin on his face and I swear that I could see out of the corner of my eye, Yolei giving off a slightly peeved expression aimed in my direction, however I could be wrong.

"As you were saying Izzy, how can you help us to find Joe?"

"Well, as a matter of fact, he will be arriving at this precise location in exactly fifteen minutes."

"Really? How can you be so sure that he'll turn up here?" I asked sceptically.

"Elementary my dear friend Mimi, the answer in which you are seeking is of a relatively simple nature." The young computer genius stated.

"Huh?"

My red headed friend sensing that I was not on the same wave length as him decide to communicate with me on a much lower level. MUCH LOWER!!!

"Um, Joe phone Izzy, say he need new software for computer. That is the big box that do calculations and use big screen to draw pretty pictures. Understand?"

Was I just insulted?

You bet I was!!!

"IZZY!!! I'M NOT RETARDED!!! I JUST HAVE TROUBLE UNDERSTANDING YOUR ARTICULATE DIALOGUE!!!" Was my flaming retort aimed back at the young red-headed child prodigy.

Needless to say both of them were in a state of shock.

"Izzy, did you just hear that?"

"I certainly did Yolei, Mimi just…"

"…used a word that we thought…"

"…was not present in…"

"…her vocabulary!"

"PRODIGIOUS!!!"

"PERFECTO!!!"

"Oh, give me a break." I sighed heavily.

Finally, after the barrage of catchphrases ended, we sat down on a nearby bench and awaited the arrive of Joe.

Tick tock… Tick tock…

Time was passing much more slowly than usual, maybe I was just nervous about seeing Joe again after such a long time, but what will happen? Does he still like me? Can he ever forgive me for leaving?

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MIMI!!!

I was almost up to the point of hyperventilating, I needed to calm down, erase any doubts in my mind, I had to think positive! Perhaps listening to Yolei and Izzy's conversation will help me to relax.

"I'm telling you Yolei, RAM is extremely vital."

"That's true Izzy but with all the latest price increases, how are you going to afford it?"

Have you ever felt that conversations always feel one-sided when you're not involved in them? I have, it's especially true when you haven't got a clue about what is being spoken.

It was computer jargon overload here. Izzy and Yolei's dialogue consisted of words containing more syllables than the names of towns in most eastern European countries. Needless to say I felt left out, very left out!

Thankfully, Yolei's keen observational skills noted this fact. Either that, or it could have been the annoyed frown that had involuntarily appeared on my face. Whatever it was, it made her decide to change the direction of the conversation towards something that I could join in.

Namely, boys…

"Bishounen Alert!"

"H-huh?"

"Bishounen Alert!" Yolei repeated, "Check out those hunky guys over there!"

I turned my head in the direction that Yolei was excitedly pointing in. True to what she had said, there were three absolutely gorgeous guys. However, just looking at them made me feel slightly guilty, I had come all the way from another country to be reunited with Joe, not to ogle at cute yet superficial guys!

"Is something wrong Mimi?" Asked Yolei as she noticed the upset look that had appeared on my face.

I briefly told Yolei how I felt. She promptly apologised and explained that she was only trying to cheer me up and take my mind off any troubles that I had. I then apologised for dragging her into my emotional love life, Izzy also apologised to me for no apparent reason, only mentioning that he felt obligated to say it.

Yolei then explained that it was just a game she occasional played. Mostly when she was bored at the mall, waiting for Izzy to arrive from his monthly pillaging of the latest software and hardware that would be on sale at the Computer Emporium.

Anyway, the rules of the game, according to Yolei were as simple as upgrading a computer. Whatever that means… anyway, it can be played solo or with friend, even more if you're really popular! All you have to do is say, not too loudly, "Bishounen Alert" when a cute guy walks past. The only real requirement is to have eagle eyesight. However, only females and the most sensitive of males can play this game.

An "oops!" escaped Yolei's mouth as she noticed the shocked and slightly jealous look that had surfaced on her highly computer literate partner.

"Why don't we play a game of Bishounen Alert?" I suggested, hoping that it'll prevent an argument from breaking out between my two companions.

Yolei responded positively to my suggestion but Izzy politely declined, saying that he would prefer to remain a spectator instead. His loss I suppose.

"Bishounen Alert!"

"Bishounen Alert!"

"Bishounen Alert!"

"Bishounen Alert!"

5 minutes later…

"Bishounen Alert!"

"Bishounen Alert!"

"Bishounen Alert!"

"Bishounen Alert!"

10 minutes later…

"Bishounen Alert!"

"Bishounen Alert!"

"Bishounen Alert!"

"Bishounen Alert!"

"IZZY! What are the scores?" Yolei asked.

"What? Was *I* suppose to be keeping score?" He answered surprised.

THWACK!!!

"Ouch!" Screamed the young computer genius in agony as Yolei hit him over the head with a rolled up magazine that was conveniently placed nearby her on the bench.

"Of course you were suppose to be keeping score! How are we suppose to know who the winner is now?" Yolei was fuming and ready to deliver another whack to Izzy's head when he suggested a sudden death play-off.

"Sudden death play-off?" Repeated a very baffled Yolei.

"Yes! A sudden death play-off," Izzy's hands were now above his head in an attempt to protect him from any farther whacks from Yolei, "Whoever spot a guy and says 'Bishounen Alert' first is the winner, okay?"

Yolei pondered this for a moment, "That's a great idea, what do you think Mimi?"

"I have no objections."

"Then it's settled, whoever spots a cute guy and says 'Bishounen Alert' first is the winner." Izzy chirped in, "And we start from…"

"NOW!"

Yolei and I began scanning the surrounding area, eyes focused and our bodies were like coiled springs, ready, waiting for our prey.

Then I saw him, an incredibly cute guy, talk about a hunk and a half. Victory was mine!

"Bishounen Alert! I WIN!!!"

A smug grin crossed my face as I knew that I was victorious, but what Yolei said next shocked me.

"No, you don't win Mimi, calling a male friend a bishounen doesn't count."

"A male friend?" I questioned her.

"Yeah, that's Joe Kido. He doesn't count as a bishounen." She said calmly, as if was no big deal.

"J-Joe? Joe? JOE!!!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. I would have taken the time to register the changes in his hair, glasses, and body, had I not been so desperate.

"M-Mimi???" Was his shocked response as he noticed me.

This was it, the moment I've been waiting for. The setting was perfect. The female heroine meets up with her dream guy after so long, a bench right behind her, and a light breeze that causes the leaves on the ground to move...

BUT!?!

But in this case the said "dream guy" happens to care less about spoiling the cliché. Instead of Joe running towards me and embracing me in a background of sakura petals, he spun on his heel and fled in the opposite direction. I don't think I'm ever going to watch shoujo anime series again. I looked over to Izzy and Yolei for an answer but they were just as confused as I was.

I didn't have time to still ponder why he ran away, I had to catch him and quickly. "Bye! See you later!" I shouted out to my computer obsessed fans before sprinting away in the direction that Joe had left.

"Sorry!"

"Huh?"

"Excuse me!"

"Hey! Careful!"

"Pardon me!"

"Watch where you're going kid!"

Dodging, ducking, twisting and turning! I felt like I was running through an obstacle course because of how crowded the GigaMall was. Thankfully though, Joe was also having trouble squeezing through the masses, which in turn gave me an opportunity to catch up with him.

I was now within a few meters of him, "Joe! Stop! It's me, Mimi!"

No reply.

"Joe! Please stop!"

Still no reply and we were nearing the exit of the GigaMall. I cannot let him leave the mall, otherwise I might lose him again!

BAM!!!

Too late! He made it out! Darn!

I had collided with someone and quite badly I might add. A young spiky-haired gentlemen sat opposite me nursing a bump on his head.

"I-I'm sorry." I apologised, "I couldn't avoid you, please forgive me."

"Oh, it's okay. I wasn't looking where I was going." He answered, " It's entirely my fault."

We both got up and began to introduce ourselves.

"Hi! My name is Mimi Tachikawa."

"Please to meet you Mimi, my name is Brock-k-k-k."

This was somewhat creepy, it was like he was staring at me, perhaps he was captivated with my beauty yet his eyes were shut. It was almost as if they were permanently fused closed.

"Do you believe in destiny?" He asked me, "Because I do."

"Eh?"

"I believe that destiny brought us together, don't you? We were meant to bump into each other like that. Out of the hundreds of people in this mall, WE met! It's fate, it's destiny, it's…"

Before he could complete his sentence, a younger red-haired girl grabbed his ear and dragged him away. I blinked a few times, shrugged, and decided to forget this ever happened.

Once outside, I quickly scanned the surrounding area. THERE HE IS! He was headed towards the local park but he had certainly gained a sizeable lead on me. How was I ever going to catch up to him? It looked impossible but I had to try. After summoning up as much strength as I could, I continued the chase.

The park was beautiful at this time of year, the Sakura were in full bloom. A light shade of pink nearly dominated the entire park. Pink's my favourite colour by the way. Just then, a familiar trio had pop up on the horizon, it was Kari, TK and Davis.

I quickly rushed over to greet them. "Davis! Kari! TK!"

"MIMI!!!"

After a scene that resembled a television reunion special, I explained my current predicament to them. Unfortunately, they were unable to help me, Joe had not run into them when he entered the park. Therefore, the area in which I was searching for him was incorrect. I needed to look elsewhere for him. Davis then suggested that we venture further into the park and meet up with Tai and Ken at the public soccer pitch.

"So, what are Tai and Ken up to at the soccer pitch?" I queried.

"Well, Tai and Ken are getting an extra bit of training in before the new season starts." Davis replied, "They've been practising in the park almost everyday this week."

"Really? I thought that they were both naturals, why are they training so much?"

"Well Mimi, it all started near the end of last season's soccer tournament when they were approached by the Odiaba soccer team's youth coach. He was quite impressed by what he saw and offered both of them trials before the season starts." Explained Kari, quite proud of both Ken and her brother.

"Wow! That's great, I must congratulate both of them."

"You will, we'll be meeting up with them quite soon. We're all extremely proud of them." TK chirped in.

"I know they are both very talented soccer players but I still cannot believe that they have a chance to try out for Odiaba's youth team. It's really amazing!" I commented, "But one thing bothers me."

"What's that Mimi?" TK asked.

"Davis, you also play soccer, right?"

"You bet, I love it!"

"Then how come you weren't invited for a trail? I'm sure that you're just as good a player as Tai and Ken."

"I was… injured." He answered hanging his head in disappointment, "It happened just a few days before the big match that the youth team coach was attending."

"I'm sorry! Did you get injured in a previous match or during training?"

"Actually Mimi, it was neither." Answered Davis with his head still hanging.

"Neither?" I repeated in confusion.

"You bet, Davis was a school trying to impress everyone in gym class while practising basketball by doing a slam-dunk, Davis-style!" Giggling Kari.

"A slam-dunk, Davis-style?"

"You heard correctly Mimi," Said TK, "Let's just say that it involved a bet, cheering girls, a vaulting horse and a trampoline."

"I-I don't think that I quite follow you, how did all those stuff contribute to him getting injured?"

"Well, you see Mimi, he…" TK began.

"Could we just drop it, please!" Yelled out Davis in embarrassment.

Poor Davis! We all agreed to change the subject and left in the direction of the soccer pitch to meet up with Tai and Ken. I really hope they can help me find Joe.

"Look out!!!"

I turned my head only to see a soccer ball flying with great speed straight at me. Oh no, if it collides with my face I could be disfigured for life! Eek! I closed my eyes and braced for impact!

"Got'cha!"

I opened my eyes only to see Davis catch the ball in mid-flight. Awesome!

"Oh thank you, thank you Davis! You're my hero!" I cheered while giving him a hug that I usually reserved for close family members.

"Way to go Davis." Complimented TK who was extremely impressed with Davis' incredible reflexes and agility.

"It was nothing, really." He blushed and then muttered to himself, "Actually I was trying to save Kari from a nasty injury."

"I wonder who this soccer ball belongs to?" Pondered Kari, "I can't see anyone here though."

We all scanned our surroundings looking for the owners of the recreational sphere which nearly cost me a fortune in medical bills.

"There!" Called out Kari pointing towards two figures who were approaching us, "It's Ken and my brother Tai."

"Sorry, I hope didn't hurt anyone." Apologised Ken.

"Yeah sorry about that but… hey it's you guys, hi Kari, Davis, TK… Mimi? Is that you Mimi?"

"Of course it's me Tai, there's only enough place in the world for one Mimi. Hi and also a special hello to you Ken."

Never did I think for one moment this morning that I would've met so many of my old friends in such a short period of time without the need for a get together party. This was great but there was still a person missing, the most important one, Joe!

I decided to question Ken and Tai if they knew the whereabouts of Joe, "Tai, Ken, have you by any chance seen Joe lately?"

"Actually we did." Answered Tai, "Joe run pass us just a minute or two ago."

"Yeah, he made me totally miss-kick a free kick that I was taking before we met up with you lot." Continued Ken.

"So that's why the soccer ball almost collided with Mimi."

"Um, yeah that's right Davis, sorry about that Mimi."

"Oh that's okay Ken, forget about it." I replied with my most cheerful smile.

"Hey! Look over there! It's Joe!" Shouted TK.

We all looked across the soccer pitch and saw Joe on the other side resting on a nearby bench. Joe heard our screams, turned around and looked over in our direction, our eyes met! Then it happened again! He got up and began sprinting away. I couldn't let him escape this time, I was too close to let him get away again.

"I got to go, forgive me." I said to small group of close friends as I gave chase.

I was already half way across the soccer pitch before anyone could reply. Moments later I was on the other side of the pitch hot on the heels on Joe.

"Joe! Stop!" I screamed but he ignored my pleads.

He began to twist and turn in all sorts of directions in an attempt to shake me but no such luck for him, I was still on his tail. Then, in desperation he vaulted over a park bench, he nearly fell but managed to regain his balance at the last second. Okay Mimi, now it's your turn, jump over that bench.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Maybe not!

At the last second my inner logic kicked in, there was no way that I would ever be able to leap over that park bench without the aid of a rocket-propelled jet pack.

SCCRRREEECCCHHH!!!

I stopped mere inches from the bench. Drat, now I'd lose Joe for sure. Still, I wasn't going to let one obstacle get in my way, so I took the long way around the park bench and resumed the chase.

'Man, that Joe is much fitter than he looks.' I said to myself as I noticed the ever-increasing distance between us.

Then something caught my eye in the distance, a small familiar figure. I strained my eyes, it was Joe's young friend and protégé Cody Hida.

Maybe some good luck at last, hopefully Cody'll get Joe to stop for a few moments thereby allowing me to catch up. Unfortunately, Joe ran pass Cody like he wasn't even there! How was I ever going to get Joe?

Then it struck me, an idea that was composed of so much genius, so much cunning, such brilliance, such-oh you get the idea. I had to act, this could be my last chance. Nearing Cody I kept my eyes focused his Kendo stick, I had to time this just perfectly!

"HiCodyIneedtoborrowyourKendostickforasecondIbringitbackIprom isethankyou!!!" I shouted as I snatch the wooden elongated object from Cody's less than firm grip.

"Huh?" Was all he could utter as I relieved him of his Kendo stick.

I rose the Kendo stick above my head like a javelin, adjusted my posture and strides, took careful aim and threw it skywards, hoping, praying that my aim was true.

GOT HIM!!!

I jumped up in joy as the makeshift javelin descended and became momentarily entangled between Joe's legs. This caused him to topple over and land on the pavement with a loud thud. I hope his not hurt, I'll apologise later!

Cody still stood there in complete shock and amazement as I ran closer to where my prey had laid stunned. I quickly got on top of him, pinning him down as not to let him escape again.

"Joe, why? Why do you keep trying to run away from me?"

"I-I just can't face you." He replied, his face turned away from my gaze.

"You c-could face me? I don't understand, w-what do you mean by that?"

"Everytime I saw you there was a deep throbbing pain inside me." A blush was beginning to form on his cheeks at the long untouched subject. "I just didn't know how to deal with it. When you left for America, you took a part of me with you."

I stared at him speechlessly as he poured out emotions that were deeply buried for so long.

"I don't know why I acted like this today, maybe I was afraid, afraid of losing-" Before he could finish his sentence, I had pressed my lips against his. My instincts had kicked in, and this seemed like the right thing to do at the moment. His blush visibly deepened, yet after a second - in which his mouth's movements resembled that of a fish - he started responding to the kiss.

Our lips parted, and I quickly said "Joe, I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what?"

I looked at the ground and shrugged. Finding myself at a loss of words wasn't something that happened every day. "Everything."

Joe gave her a sly smirk, a light shade of red still evident on his face as he shrugged and looked away, saying "The kiss at least was good."

That definitely caught me by surprise. He had, after all, developed what can be called a sense of humour throughout the years I was missing. The fact that he was willing to joke about it was a reassuring feeling, though. At least now I knew that he didn't hold a grudge towards me.

"Want to start over? As friends?" I told him, holding out my hand.

"Of course," he replied as he took my hand and shook it gently.

We both got up and walked out of the park. His hand gently brushed against mine a moment later, and I looked up at him. He ran a hand through his hair and smiled nervously, finally managing to stutter "As friends, right?"

I laughed. "Yeah, just friends," I joked, awarding him with a 'nice try' look and a quick kiss on the lips. His grip on my hand tightened as we continued to walk.

"Joe?"

"Yes Mimi?"

"I was wondering, how about we go back to the hotel where my parents are staying and have a large feast to celebrate?"

"That sounds good."

"Thanks Joe, you're the best." I gave him a hug and continued, "Oh and I have some more good news."

"Really? What?"

"My mother is really good friends with the head chef of that particular hotel."

"Wow! I didn't know that but it does sound like great news. So, we'll be able to get something special, like food usually reserved for special guests and V.I.P.'s."

"No silly, the chef will give my mum full use of his kitchen, she'll then be able try out some of her favourite home cooked recipes. Doesn't that just make you want to let out a cheer?"

"Er… possibly. Will she be cooking anything in particular?"

"Certainly, I'll ask her to cook the exact same meal that we had the first time you had dinner with us, remember?"

"I-I think so."

"Come on, you remember that night, we had sushi and rice followed by chicken and chocolate cake and not forgetting desert, strawberries and cream. Hmmm, delicious!"

I don't know why but Joe's face suddenly paled, "Are you alright Joe?" I asked extremely concerned.

"Ah huh, say Mimi, how about I treat you and your parents to a meal at a posh restaurant?"

"That's really sweet of you Joe but wouldn't you like to recreate our first date?"

"I insist, I want to treat you and your parents to a meal. We can recreate our first date next time, okay?"

"Well, I guess, if you're quite sure."

"I sure! I sure!"

"O-okay."

"Then it's settled, shall we go?" I said as he offered his arm to me.

"Let's go."

Smiling at one another we linked arms and made our way into the sunset towards my parent's hotel for a very special night out.

The End!