Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Untitled Daishirou ❯ In which Koushirou meets a new friend ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
.

by Pilot02
[It Must Be The Goggles]
http://mbg.100megsfree4.com/


My cousin had lost his temper again--the house burned down as a result. His family was living in my house temporarily.

Why did the house burn down, you ask? Well, the answer is simple.

He's a fire witch, as was I.

My name is Izumi Koushirou, although I prefer to be called Izzy.

We--meaning my parents, my cousin's family temporarily, and myself--lived in a rather large forest. The forest was filled with magic--all kinds of magic; wild, high, dark. I, and the rest of my family, extended and immediate both, were of the wild magic category first, and fire magic after that.

My siblings and I--my sister, Sora, and my brother, Jyou--were only partly fire witch. Our mother was half, and our father full. Therefore, we were about 2/3 fire witch, so we still had the magic abilities that full fire witches do, but ours were weaker than most.

Of course, there was a rumor floating around the forest--literally; the ghosts tended to be the most talkative beings you could find there--that said a bond between a being that is mostly something and a being that is mostly something else will strengthen the powers of both of the beings. They should then be the equivalent of or stronger than their pure counterparts, but I for one didn't believe it. For a bond of that kind--a life bond, comparable to a lifetime commitment such as marriage--to be obtained, the two must fall in love deeper and more pure than most are even capable of psychologically doing, or so another rumor went.

Now, don't get me wrong, please. I wasn't one who went for gossip. Our home was relatively near a makeshift cemetery, and some of the resident ghosts had befriended me over the years. I'm sure they were dropping hints to me that it was time to get settled and have a family of my own, but I was only 17! Of course, most of the ghosts there weren't much older than myself--they died in an earthquake many years ago--and they knew how precious what little time you have alive is.

I knew how important it is to live while you can as well. My youngest sister, Miyako, died when she was a little over 11. She told me before she passed away that she wished she had done more of the things that she had wanted to do. I promised that I would live my life to the fullest, but still.

I didn't believe the rumors. They were just rumors, anyway.

* * *

Sometimes, I wondered why it was that I remained living with my parents. After all, I was a mature 17 year old, and it could be slightly embarrassing to have to admit that I lived with them.

An example of such a time is when some of my extended family came to visit, and I was subjected to teasing questions and comments about that fact the whole weekend that they were at our home. The cousin that burnt his house down--he's only 11; a far cry from 17.

Actually, I hadn't met many people around my own age--family and non-family alike. Willis, a magician, was a few years younger than I was, a good friend, and living on his own. Takeru, a member of the royal family of the forest, lived in the castle and rarely left, though I had met him a few times. He, like Willis, was a bit younger than I was. Taichi and Hikari, older and younger by a few years, respectively, were brother and sister witches. Taichi was a good friend of mine; one of the few I actually had.

I took off suddenly into the forest surrounding my home and ignored my cousins yelling for me to 'wait up.' I figured they would give up and go back home eventually--either that or be eaten by a dragon or troll or something, but such is life. They weren't great people, anyway.

I could almost feel the forest shifting under my feet--it tended to do that, mainly so non-magic folk won't find their way into it. I personally thought it was also a system with which to annoy the inhabitants, but that was just my opinion. I ignored the feeling, having been through it more times than I cared to count. I also ignored the feeling of knowing exactly where I was going, when consciously I had no idea. That happened a lot too; nothing happens accidentally in the forest.

* * *

I heard the talking before I saw the talker. I couldn't yet make out any words besides the occasional expletive, and I unconsciously steered my course toward the sound. Mentally I cursed the forest for having this effect on the people inside of it--I had been looking for a trouble-free walk, and who knew what kind of trouble I could be getting into by following the sound. Of course, being a fire witch, I shouldn't have problems if the person decided to try to curse me or something similar--fire witches are immune to most magic, save that of another fire witch.

As I got closer I could make out more and more of what the person was saying, and I could also tell with a good amount of certainty that the unknown person was a 'he.'

"I can't believe... and then I couldn't get... I just want to go..."

I quickened my pace, figuring that the person was a human who stumbled into the forest accidentally. This did occasionally happen, although Yamato, the King of the forest, did his best to insure that it didn't happen. It was actually fairly easy for him to do this--he could manipulate the magic directly, using the strands of it flowing through the forest. All he had to do was create a barrier around the perimeter and let the forest take care of the rest. It's not often that he had to interfere.

By this time, I was standing at the edge of a small clearing, looking at a humanoid figure standing in the middle and a small blue thing by his feet. Yes, I was right, it was a 'he.'

"Hello there. Are you lost?" I questioned softly, trying to not startle him. At the first glance, I knew he wasn't human. I could almost /feel/ the magic radiating from him--he's one that I didn't want to be on the bad side of. He turned quickly to look at me, and he squinted through dirty goggles. And then, he grinned.

"Thank the forest King, someone came!" He said and then pushed the goggles up onto his forehead, his dark burgundy hair spilling over the lenses. As he completed this movement, he started to walk toward me, and I took a step back.

"Who are you? And what are you doing?" I asked, keeping an eye on the blue thing. It made me slightly uneasy.

"Sorry, I forgot about all that. My name's Motomiya Daisuke, and I am /trying/ to find my way home. As for what I came out here to do originally, that's a secret." He grinned once more, a small lopsided grin. He picked up the blue thing, which didn't struggle, and held it out as if offering it to me. To my surprise, it smiled at me.

"Hello Red. It's nice to meet you. My name's V-mon, and I'm a monigid." Daisuke smiled sheepishly at my confused expression.

"A monigid is a magical creature--I came across him a long time ago. He tends to make nicknames for people he meets; I guess your new name is Red." A slight grin accompanied the last comment.

"Oh. Well, my name is Izumi Koushirou. Do you need anything?" I asked, feeling uneasy again. I realized that it wasn't the 'monigid' that was making me feel this way--it was something I was picking up from Daisuke. I decided not to question it, as I wasn't sure what he was, and therefore didn't know if I was immune to his particular type of magic. In my opinion, now would not be a good time to find out.

"Well, you /could/ try to help me get home..." Daisuke answered, not meeting my gaze. I knew when someone was hiding something, and I knew that he was definitely up to something. Another thing that I had been taught was to never make promises without knowing /exactly/ what you must do beforehand.

"Where do you live?" I asked, and he brought his head up so that mine was in his line of vision once more. Once more, that grin became apparent on his face.

"You're smart. I like that." He sighed then, looking into the trees. "The truth is, I just got kicked out. I can't go back there. I was hoping you would walk around with me until I found a new place to stay." He gave me the most pitiful look he could muster at the time, which happened to be the beaten-puppy-for-no-good-reason look. Resistance was, as they say, futile.

I thought about what I was going to say, and finally came up with a plan. "You can come back to my house with me, and I'll see if my parents will let you stay there. If not, I'll contact some of my friends and see if they know of a place. Does that sound all right to you?"

He looked at me and the puppy-dog look disappeared, covered up by an amused look. "Still living with your parents, eh? I wouldn't've thought you to be the type." I glared at him, and he smiled and continued. "It's not a big deal, really. I lived with my parents up until, oh, about two hours ago."

"We'd better get going, if we are to make it back before dark. If we time it right, my mother won't refuse to let you stay--we have to get there right when the sun sets, no sooner, no later."

"Why's that?"

"Because--" I blushed. "--if we arrive after dark, she would assume that I was off... 'fooling around' with you and didn't want her to see if my clothes or hair were at all messed up. If we arrive before then, she would say that there was still time for you to find a new place to stay."

"Oh, alright. Well, why don't we come in after dark, then? What mother could refuse to let her son's 'lover' inside?"

My only response was a shake of the head and a blush.

This was going to be a long walk.