Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ War Diaries: Adventures Zero-Three ❯ Duty ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
War Diaries - Adventures Zero-Three

Entry 2: Duty

By Lord Archive

Digimon belongs to Toei Animation Inc., Saban Entertainment, Fox Kids and others. They are used without consent. And since Toei doesn't want them anymore, I'm not giving them back.

----------------------

She was one of them. With this strange device, she must be one of them.

Wataru Sayuri, an average looking eleven year old girl with shoulder length black hair and brown eyes, studied the strange device in her hand. It looked like a hand held game that fit nicely into her palm. It was mostly white with a deep purple trim. She remembered that her classmate, Iori, had a yellow one of these.

Sayuri had noticed how Iori had started acting strange back in third grade. At first she didn't think much of it. He had just made friends with some older kids. Then she noticed that sometimes they weren't alone. There were childish voices that talked to them in the computer room, and then one day she had seen them. One of them had a cat that went spastic and was yelling about Hikari disappearing. That a cat could walk on two legs and talk had surprised her. She hadn't said anything in fear of her friends thinking she had gone insane.

Then there was the Christmas Invasion of Zero-Two. She had seen Iori and the others in action dealing with all those digimon as a highly skilled team. More than that, everyone knew that had happened. Children around the world worked together to do what no military was able to accomplish. Yet no child had ever taken credit for being part of it.

Now she was one of them. She was part of that team and had a greater purpose.

Sayuri had found the device yesterday after something flashed in her backpack, so she was sure it was hers. She then looked questioningly at the computer in the back of the computer lab at her school. Technically she shouldn't be here since it was still spring break, but she felt she had to try this.

Sayuri held the device toward the computer. "Now what was it they said? Digiport open?"

The monitor shifted in appearance and a blinding light flashed. Then Sayuri was gone.

----------------------

Koushiro pulled out a CD from his shelf and held it out. "This will help explain what you need to know."

Yume took the CD. "This is some kind of Chosen instruction manual?"

Koushiro scratched the back of his head. "Well, you could say that. It contains a lot of information on various digimon you could meet, how the various evolution processes have occurred in the past, and some information on other Chosen you might come across. At this time I've confirmed over three hundred Chosen and that number has been steadily increasing."

"Why so many Chosen?" Yume asked.

"The price of peace is eternal vigilance," Iori answered. "In order to prevent a large threat to the Digital World, we must act as peace-keepers. Put out the smaller troubled areas before they can spread and threaten the whole Digital World. It's a large task and can't be handled by just a handful of children alone."

Yume nodded and smiled. "You mean we're like police officers to the digimon."

Iori closed his eyes. "Yes."

Yume blinked, unsure of Iori's reaction.

Koushiro's computer started beeping.

"Huh?" Koushiro spun around to his computer. "A digiport just opened at Odaiba Elementary. Why would someone open a portal there?"

"Do you have a location for where they are now?" Iori asked.

"File Island," Koushiro replied.

"Well, I guess we should check this out." Iori stood up and looked at Yume. "Besides, File Island has a lot of nice places to see and a few digimon you should get to know."

Yume grinned. "Any time you're ready, Iori-sama."

Iori grimaced. "Right. Digiport open!"

Mrs. Izumi watched at the door as the two children and their digimon entered the Digital World. She blinked when the light faded. "Doesn't she need her wheelchair?"

Koushiro shook his head. "Nope. It's the newest mystery I've been trying to figure out. Her spine injury doesn't affect her at all in the Digital World. She's probably the happiest person to ever become Chosen because of that."

Mrs. Izumi nodded. "But is the ability to walk in that other dimension worth the price of her innocence?"

Koushiro sighed. "I'm not entirely sure."

----------------------

"Where the hell am I?" Sayuri stared at all the weird trees with street signs that were around her.

"The Forest of Irrelevant Street Signs," someone answered with the voice of a young girl. "At least that's what Ishida Yamato named it, and that's what we've called it since then."

"Who are you?" Sayuri looked in surprise at the digimon coming out of the foliage.

The digimon was a purple lizard with a green stylized belly and green claws. She was also wearing a white fur pelt with gray stripes on her back.

Sayuri blinked as the digimon's colors seemed to shift as the digimon approached her.

"I'm your partner, Psychemon." The female lizard waved at her. "Nice to meet you."

"Ah, hi. I'm Sayuri." She scratched the back of her head. "Just what am I supposed to do now?"

Psychemon blinked. "You know about the Chosen?"

Sayuri looked at the digimon uncertainly and replied, "Is that what those paired with digimon are called?"

Psychemon nodded. "Yes, and you are one of them now. As for what to do, I'm not sure. Most of the Chosen have been acting to prevent trouble recently, since currently there are no major threats to our world."

"No threats?" Sayuri repeated. "Then why am I here?"

Psychemon raised her paws helplessly. "I'm not sure. Normally when one arrives as a Chosen, it because there's a new threat. However, I know of none."

"Can you show me around? I've never been here before," Sayuri said.

Psychemon nodded. "It'd be my pleasure."

They started to walk but stopped as they heard a loud noise.

"Can't you read?" someone growled.

"Huh?" Sayuri turned around. "Who are you?"

"I'm Ogremon, and this...." he smacked a sign that was written in English. "...says, 'No trespassing.'"

"It does?" Sayuri tried to read the sign, but all she could understand was the 'no' part of it.

"Yes it does. Now leave before I throw you out." Ogremon growled.

"Does he have the right to do this?" Sayuri asked her digimon.

"Nope," replied Psychemon.

"Sure I do. It's my home and I don't want visitors. So go away!" Ogremon barked.

Sayuri crossed her arms. "No. I think you're an evil digimon."

Ogremon grinned. "Evil doesn't begin to describe me." He held up his club. "I'm warning you...."

"I'm a Chosen and it's my job to deal with evil digimon," Sayuri said firmly.

"Well, duh. Of course you're Chosen. Like I care." Ogremon swung at her.

Sayuri back peddled away from the attack.

"I can't let you get away with that. Psychemon evolve!" the digimon cried out and a pillar of light enshrouded the fur covered purple lizard. When the light faded, a masked unicorn with zebra stripes stood there. "Shima Unimon!"

"Oh, I'm shaking. Bone Club!" Ogremon swung.

Shima Unimon hopped out of the way. "Raster Shot!" A flat beam spread out into a triangular shape which swiped across the ground, connecting with Ogremon's foot.

"OW!" Ogremon held his injured foot. "You bitch. I'm going to kill you."

Something huge crashed between the fighting digimon. When the dust settled, a large yellow armored dinosaur digimon stood between them.

"That's enough from both of you," Ankylomon ordered.

"Just how many forms does he have?" Yume asked.

"Seven known ones so far," Iori answered and then walked up to his digimon partner. "Now what started this?"

Sayuri pointed at Ogremon. "That evil digimon attacked us. We were going to deal with him."

"This is my home and you're all trespassing! I have a right to defend this place," Ogremon huffed.

Iori blinked. "Sayuri? I guess you're another new Chosen. You got a digivice yesterday, correct?"

Yume scowled.

Sayuri nodded. "Yes, I did. And I'm ready to be a Chosen and destroy evil digimon."

"Right." Iori sighed. "And Ogremon, you know no one can claim property on File Island. With the size of some of the wild digimon, there's no way to control their territories. There are simply too many inhabitants."

"Well, maybe you should get Birdramon and Greymon to move their love nest somewhere else and help reduce the population, rather than have them try to add to it," Ogremon growled. "Besides, if that wussy Vamdemon can own the Overdell mansion. I should be able to own property too. After all, I did help defeat Piemon. I should be compensated for that."

Iori massaged his forehead. "Vamdemon doesn't own that mansion. He still has to deal with the Bakemon that live there, some of whom refuse to even talk to him."

"That's because he's an idiot, but he still has a place to call his own. I don't!" Ogremon retorted.

Iori paused in thought.

"Could he have a small hut or something?" Yume suggested. "It wouldn't have to be big, but everything in it would belong to him. He just can't claim the property around it as his."

"Hold on a second!" Sayuri yelled. "Why are you trying to please him?! He's an evil digimon, and evil digimon have to die."

"No they don't." Yume folded her arms. "They just have to be taught the errors of their ways. They can be reformed."

"And who says they can?" Sayuri questioned.

"Ogremon, for one," Iori answered. "He may talk about a good murder, but he has only killed evil digimon."

Ogremon slouched. "Don't say that. You'll ruin my reputation."

"Yes, yes. You're the most evil digimon and you'll kill Leomon the first chance you get," Ankylomon mocked.

Ogremon huffed.

"While I wouldn't call Ogremon harmless, he tries to hide his good heart in that viral body of his," Iori explained. He then turned to Ogremon. "I think we can arrange a small hut that you can claim as your own."

"Can I have a white picket fence around it and claim that area as my property too?" Ogremon asked.

Iori sweated nervously. "We'll see."

----------------------

Iori's group made the way though to the edge of the forest and saw a rock land scape ahead of them. To the side of them sat a large depressed looking orange dinosaur.

"Are you all right?" Yume asked. "You look sad."

Greymon looked over at her. "I'm fine."

"Hello, Greymon." Iori bowed. "How are you doing?"

"Fine," Greymon replied sharply.

"Don't worry, Birdramon will back before you know it," Iori stated.

"Who said anything about her?" Greymon replied.

"Where is this Birdramon?" Sayuri asked.

"With Sora in your world." Greymon glanced over. "So who are your new friends, Iori?"

"This is Togashi Yume and Bakumon." Iori motioned to his right, and then to his left. "And this is Wataru Sayuri and Psychemon. Girls, this is Greymon, Yagami Taichi's digimon partner."

"What brings you out here?" Greymon asked.

"Ogremon caused a little trouble. He wants a place to call home," Iori answered.

"Yeah. I suggested that he could have a small hut that he could have as his own," Yume added.

Greymon shrugged. "I don't have a problem with that. Doubt Birdramon would either."

Iori nodded. "I figured on that. We still have to talk to the other Digimon on the Island."

Greymon nodded. "I suspect Vamdemon would be the hardest sell on the island."

"Maybe. I don't think he would care," Iori commented. "But he is the next on the list to talk to."

Yume latched onto Iori's arm. "Lead the way, Iori-sama."

Sayuri stared at Yume in shock.

Iori blushed. "Could you please not do that?"

Yume pouted and reluctantly let go of his arm. "If you don't want me too."

Greymon chuckled. "You've got a lot to learn about women."

Iori shook his head. "As far as I'm concerned, I know too much." He continued on as the girls quickly followed after him.

----------------------

Koushiro looked up as his computer started to flash. He kicked his desk and wheeled away from the monitor on his office chair.

When the light subsided, Iori had a slightly amused look on his face as he stood over the tangle mess of girls and digimon.

Sayuri pried herself free and stood up. "How long will it be before I get use to that?"

"A couple hundred trips through the digiport," Koushiro answered. "Hello, I'm Izumi Koushiro. Welcome to our team." He took a CD off his shelf. "You'll need one of these disks as well. It'll help explain what may be expected of you."

Sayuri took the CD. "Ah, thanks. I'm Wataru Sayuri. Nice to meet you."

Iori and Bakumon helped Yume to her wheelchair.

Sayuri blinked. "What's wrong with your legs?"

Yume looked down. "I had an accident and I broke my lower spine."

Sayuri pointed at the monitor, and said in shock, "But in the Digital World you could walk."

"It's an added perk in being Chosen." Yume sighed. "I've got to be going home. See you again, Iori-sama. Come on, Bakumon."

Bakumon floated over and pushed Yume's wheelchair as they left.

Mrs. Izumi entered the room. "Is she all right?"

"I guess so," Iori replied uncertainly.

Mrs. Izumi blinked. "Oh, you're another Chosen?"

Sayuri scratched the back of her head nervously. "Yes. Um, hi. I'm Sayuri. I should be going too." She bowed to Iori. "Thanks for helping me. I looking forward to following you in future missions." She grabbed Iori's hand and gave it quick squeeze, before letting go and rushing out of the door with Psychemon trailing behind her.

Iori stared at his hand.

Koushiro smirked. "Looks like both of them like you."

Iori blushed and fidgeted. "Um, we've got most of the digimon to agree that Ogremon can have a hut. But we still need to decide where that should be."

"I'll confer with Greymon and Vamdemon and figure out a good spot for his home," Koushiro said. "You should be getting home now."

"Yes, right. See you." Iori turned to leave.

"Oh, Iori," Mrs. Izumi called out. "Please don't rush into anything with those girls."

Iori froze for a second. "I have no intention of dating for another three years or so, let alone doing anything more than that."

Mrs. Izumi smiled. "I hope you stick to that."

----------------------

"Sayuri, where have you been all day?" Mrs. Wataru asked while she was cooking dinner.

"Um, nowhere really," Sayuri nervously answered. She scooted sideways past her mother and toward her room with Psychemon trying to hide behind her.

"Your friends kept calling for you. They're thinking about going to the beach this weekend," Mrs. Wataru informed.

Sayuri forced a laugh. "Sounds like fun, but I suspect that I'll be busy."

"Oh?" Mrs. Wataru raised an eyebrow. "What would you be doing that you'd skip going to the beach."

"Well... I, ah, have a date this weekend. Cute boy from school." Sayuri's nervous smile didn't seem entirely forced. "Well, not exactly a date. More like a friendly outing."

"Oh, that's nice." Mrs. Wataru went back to her cooking as Sayuri and Psychemon rushed into the bedroom. Mrs. Wataru then a blinked. "A DATE?!"

----------------------

Journal, 3-30-04

Note to self, never tell Mom that I have a date as an excuse. She completely freaked out over it. I got a lecture about being too young to be thinking about boys yet. She's even forcing me to go on that trip to the beach my friends are planning so that I won't be able to go on that 'date.'

If she gets that upset over the idea of me dating, I don't want to know what she'd think about me being a Chosen Warrior. She worries too much about me. I can take care of myself. And if I need help, Psychemon will be there for me.

I still find this all amazing though. I'm a Chosen. I can travel to other dimensions now. See and feel things only a handful of other people have ever seen and felt. I don't know how to put it into words what I'm feeling.

So far the Chosen team I'm a part of has only two other members: Iori, who's a cute boy from my class, and Yume, who acts like she's on a sugar high and thinks she's Iori's girlfriend.

I'll write more once I figure out what I should write about this. I can't seem to put it into words.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Sayuri saved her journal on her computer. She then accessed the message board that the Chosen Manual referred to get updated information. She noticed a topic title, 'Takaishi Takeru and Yagami Hikari off active' and opened it since it should deal with other Japanese Chosen.

Sayuri blinked when she read Iori's message. "So Yume and I replaced those two." She shrugged and paged down. She blinked as she read Yume's first message. "Iori saved her life? That explains it!"

"Explains what?" Psychemon asked.

"Yume has a hero worship complex on Iori because he saved her life." Sayuri smiled. She then grimaced as Yume babbled on like an idiot. She sort of sent an apology to the list, however Yume reacted badly to it.

After exchanging several near insults, a message popped up on her screen from Koushiro.

"I'm temp-banned?" Sayuri whined. "I was only trying to be helpful. Geez. I guess I'll read the rest of that CD now."

----------------------