Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ War Diaries: Adventures Zero-Three ❯ Lasar Assualt ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
War Diaries - Adventures Zero-Three

Entry 9: Lasar Assault

By Lord Archive

Digimon belongs to Toei Animation Inc., Saban Entertainment, Fox Kids and others. They are used without consent. And since Toei doesn't want them anymore, I'm not giving them back.

----------------------

Yohko, a rather fit, somewhat militaristic looking woman with short black hair stood in front of most of the Odaiba Chosen. She held up a laser gun. "With the scenario your group selected, the first round is free-for-all. Each of you are out for yourselves. You have no friends. If you get hit three times, in the head, chest and/or gun-- your game has finished. If there are no questions, you have thirty seconds to move around the arena. When the lights go out, the battle begins."

----------------------

Hikari, Yume and Mimi watched a monitor of the fight as it began.

"Too bad this wasn't happening in the Digital World, then I could play too," Yume pouted, gripping her wheelchair angrily.

Hikari sighed. "I wouldn't mind playing either, but Taichi and Takeru won't let me." She shook her head noticing that Takeru had been eliminated first by a combined assault from Daisuke, Ken, Taichi and Yamato.

"Well, you have to be careful," Mimi commented.

Taichi turned on Yamato and Daisuke attacked Ken, but none refused to fall.

"Mimi, why aren't you playing?" Yume asked. She failed to hide a slight grin when Iori 'killed' Sayuri.

"I don't like fighting and violence. I avoid it when I can," Mimi answered. "Go Jyou!" She cheered as Jyou took out Yamato.

Hikari giggled as she watched Sora blast Taichi in the back.

However, Miyako took the opportunity to remove Sora.

Ken and Daisuke killed each other.

Yume blinked as Iori ran past Miyako and Jyou, taking out both of them.

Koushiro looked confidant as he lined Iori in his sights, but the young boy dodged and eliminated Izumi.

"Iori-sama is good," Yume chirped.

"He is, but that's mostly his martial arts training. He didn't let his feelings for friends interfere," Hikari observed.

Mimi nodded. "Seems the boys are still upset at Takeru."

Hikari sighed. "I know. But there's not much we can do about that."

"How are you coping with everything?" Mimi questioned.

"Fine, I guess. But in a way this all feels less real than when I became a Chosen." Hikari shook her head. "The moment I legally turn thirteen I'll be Takaishi Hikari, and it feels weird saying that."

"The wedding was approved?" Mimi hugged Hikari. "Congratulations."

"Thanks," Hikari replied somberly. "But I don't know if we're doing the right thing."

"How can you say that?" Mimi questioned in shock. "You love Takeru, don't you? You don't want to have an abortion, right? What else would you do?"

Hikari nodded to Mimi's first two questions and then slouched. "I don't know. I just feel so overwhelmed."

Yume patted Hikari's arm and smiled. "I'm sure you'd feel overwhelmed if you were thirty and going through this. A lot has happened to you."

"But I'd rather have to fight and kill Vamdemon again than go through this," Hikari replied.

"Vamdemon? The one from Overdell?" Yume questioned.

"Not him, the one that invaded Odaiba," Hikari answered. "I hope you never fight anything as evil as him."

"Unlike all the other evil lords we fought during our first adventure, Vamdemon made it personal. He attacked our families and wanted Hikari dead," Mimi explained.

"Oh, dear. You must really be scared about all of this," Yume said.

Hikari nodded.

"Who's she?" Yume pointed at a girl watching another monitor intently.

"That's Jun, Daisuke's sister." Hikari sighed. "And she has a bit of a crush on Yamato."

"A bit?" Mimi blinked. "Sora described her as being obsessed."

----------------------

"We go out there and take no prisoners," Daisuke ordered.

Takeru, Miyako, Sayuri, Iori and Ken nodded.

The group entered the arena, the objective of the mission-- kill the older Odaiba Chosen.

Daisuke took point as they entered the eighteen meter by twelve meter room filled with fake rocks and boulders. When they made it to the center of the room, he had yet to see any of the opponents.

"Now!"

Daisuke looked up in time to see Taichi take him out while standing on a fake boulder.

Iori was able to take out Jyou, but the younger Chosen all fell to the ambush in an instant.

----------------------

"Yohko, groups normally last longer than this," a plump male operator stated.

"I know Hitashi." She shook her head. "And those boys that are normally here are getting pasted."

"And I felt inadequate before. Where do these kids come from?" Hitashi asked.

"I have no clue. Wish I did. Perhaps a little older though," Yohko replied.

"What are they doing now?" Hitashi looked closer at the monitors.


Iori and Sayuri were moving to the center of the room again, however none of the other members of their group were visible.

"Plan two," Taichi called out and looked surprised as Iori nailed him three time.

Taichi glanced around and didn't see Daisuke's groups in sniper positions in front of his group, as he suspected. He turned around to see that Daisuke had led his group around to the back side of Yagami's group and shot them all in the back. "How?"

"Gotcha!" Daisuke grinned evilly.

"Remember Taichi-niichan..." Takeru smirked. "While you know tactics with brutal efficiency, Daisuke knows how to insult you while defeating you."

Sora shrugged. "He got us there."

----------------------

"What are the rules for tournament free-for-all?" Sayuri asked.

"Simple, each time you hit someone, you gain points. Every time you get hit, you lose points. However, if your score is positive, it's multiplied by your accuracy to get a total score. The person with the highest score wins," Daisuke explained. "They're switching the guns now so that instead of being registered as dead after three hits, you won't be allowed to fire after each hit for fifteen seconds. Any hit that you receive during those fifteen seconds will still reduce your score, but won't add to the how long you have to wait before firing again."

"You play this a lot, don't you?" Sayuri observed.

Ken sighed. "At least once a week if the Digital World doesn't offer a good enough challenge for him."

"It's good practice," Daisuke defended.


"Now, Mimi, you've got to at least play this next game," Miyako pleaded.

Mimi waved her hands. "Really, I don't like playing these kinds of games."

"I didn't think I'd like it either, but it's really a lot of fun," Miyako insisted. "At least one game, please."

"But...." Mimi fidgeted.

"One game couldn't hurt," Jyou commented.

Mimi looked over at him. "I guess I can play one game. But that's it."


"Looks like they're hiring," Taichi pointed out a sign to Takeru.

"Yeah." Takeru slouched. "But what's the point of trying? I've applied pretty much everywhere else and was turned down each time because I'm too young. This place can't be different."

"Look, you don't know until you've tried," Taichi pressed.

Takeru looked away. "I know."

"Looking for a job?" Yohko asked.

"Well, yeah," Takeru replied.

Yohko handed him a paper. "Fill out this application then."

Takeru blinked. "You'll actually hire me?"

Yohko shrugged. "The job requires a fast learner, can learn about computer programming, lasers and wiring, and is capable of removing unwanted customers if need be. I know you can handle some of that from how you fight."

"Ah, thanks." Takeru bowed. "I'll have this filled out immediately." He turned around. "Koushiro, Jyou, I need a pen." He caught both pens thrown at him.


Yamato backed away from Jun with a look of panic etched across his face. "Why are you here?"

"I just thought I'd come and see you," Jun answered. "You were simply amazing!"

"Jun... ah... um...." Yamato glanced around and grinned. "I think you should know that I have a girlfriend."

"Of course you do. Me!" Jun hugged his arm.

Yamato looked ready to tear his arm off just so he could run away. "No. I mean I have someone else that I REALLY love."

Jun blinked. "Who?"

Yamato pointed. "Mimi."

Jyou glared at hearing that.

----------------------

Sayuri's score in the tournament quickly went into the negatives. Rather than be easy points she decided to hide herself in a group of boulders and shoot anyone that got too close.

Takeru was similarly in sorry shape for points. Daisuke was out for blood and Taichi and Yamato were still upset that they were becoming uncles. Between those three, it was a rare moment he could fire back.

Miyako tried to keep up, but she couldn't cope with the numerous opponents.

Koushiro tried to play sniper, but kept on being pegged.

Daisuke's focus on Takeru left him wide open to the other players.

Taichi split his attacks between Takeru and Yamato, but that left him open to Sora.

Yamato was getting the short end of it from Taichi whenever Yagami wasn't blasting Takeru on general principal.

Ken didn't focus too much on any target, rather he kept things to moments of opportunity-- which Takeru and those attacking him offered.

Jyou helped to defend Mimi, but she didn't realize that until after getting a few points off him.

Sora played defensively, but got most of her points from taking care of Taichi. If he was going to be petty about who he would attack, so was she.

Iori calmly and methodically attacked everyone, while offering as small of a target as possible.

Mimi was never hit once by any of the players. Whenever they got close enough to shoot her, she would turn and blast them.

----------------------

"Mr. Takaishi, may I ask why you marked married as your status?" Yohko asked.

"Well, it's because as of this Sunday, I will be legally married to Hikari," Takeru replied nervously.

"Do you have any proof of that?" Yohko questioned.

Takeru nodded. "I should have a copy of the marriage certificate sometime next week."

Behind him Hikari took one whiff of a pizza and almost immediately vomited into a trash can. Takeru only flinched slightly, but otherwise acted as if this was normal.

Yohko paled. "Don't tell me that's your wife and she's pregnant."

"I won't if you don't want me to," Takeru nervously joked.

Yohko shook her head. "I see you do need this job then." She sighed. "It only offers Fridays and Weekends."

"That's about what I'm looking for. Our families will handle the expenses for the baby, but I have to try to support Hikari and myself as much as I can without their help," Takeru explained.

"I see." Yohko held out her hand. "Welcome to my team. You've got two weeks to learn about certain parts of your job. If you don't, you're fired."

Takeru nodded. "Thank you. You have no idea how much I appreciate this."

----------------------

"Um, Mimi?" Jun called out while in the girl's bathroom.

Mimi turned and looked at her. "Yes?"

"Are you dating Yama-sama?" Jun asked.

Mimi blinked. "What?"

"Are you dating my Yamato?" Jun repeated.

"Is that what he told you?" Mimi demanded.

Jun nodded.

Mimi scowled. "Excuse me." She stomped out of the bathroom and quickly found Yamato.

"Hey, Mimi, why do you look so mad?" Yamato asked a bit nervously.

"Why did you lie to Jun?" Mimi demanded.

Yamato turned his head away. "What do you want me to tell her?"

"How about the truth? I'm sure she could understand that better than having you fake relationships with other girls," Mimi replied bitterly.

Yamato huffed. "I can't tell her that."

Mimi folded her arms. "What's she going to do? Tell some tabloid that you're gay? Even if they believed her and printed it, not many people really trust that trash anyway."

Yamato turned and glared at her. "Enough people do buy into that crap. If they found out, my music career is gone. I can't risk that."

"Fine. Keep LYING to Jun, but leave me out of it." Mimi turned around and trudged over to Jyou.

Jun stood behind a pillar. "Say it isn't so," she whinned.

Daisuke shook his head. "Hate to break it to you, but he is gay."

"That's not true!" Jun slapped Daisuke and then ran off.

----------------------

Author's Notes:

I didn't make Yamato gay out of bitterness of the whole Zero-Two situation. In the ADULT series Red Digivice Diaries, which War Diaries shares the same timeline with, Yamato was written as being gay BEFORE even the 'dreaded' Christmas Episode. I honestly believed that Yamato was gay back then, now I'm convinced he's bi-sexual ;)

Iori, Sayuri and Yume will get more screen time soon. Trust me. :)

(Steve of the New York digi-destined folds his arms. "Trust a smiling game master? That's like trusting a politician not to attach a rider bill to a law.")

While Jun gave up on Yamato toward the end of Zero-Two, that was because he was dating Sora. Once Sora went back to Taichi, Jun went back to chasing after Yamato.


In Japan, once a wedding is approved by the government, the couple is married. There is no ceremony needed, nor does stopping one mean anything.

To get legally married in Japan, a guy over eighteen and a girl over sixteen only have to fill out the proper paperwork and pay a small fee to process it. A marriage can occur at a younger age with consent of the legal guardians of the children involved.


Next in the Diaries timeline:
Red Digivice Diaries - Entry 13: Slumber Party
Hikari's birthday party takes on aspects that no one ever suspected.

Next in War Diaries - Entry 10: Through the Portal Darkly
Terror comes in many forms as a large portal opens and unleashes fear upon Odaiba.