Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Warriors of Destiny ❯ It Begins ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Warriors of Destiny 3

It Begins

"Won't you come in?" Gennai asked, "you're probably all hungry and tired from your journey."

"Thank you," Taichi said.

Gennai invited the youngsters inside his house to eat and rest. As they ate, he told them why he wanted them to come.

"I know you're not all warriors," he said, as if he could read some of their thoughts, "but you don't need the strength to wield an axe to become one. You all have a weapon with you, rather it be might or magic."

"Magic?" Koushiro asked. "I thought I was the only mage in this group."

Gennai smiled lightly, "but you're not." He looked at each youth and said their name and crest, "Taichi, Courageous Warrior. You are the bravest in the group, maybe the most courageous man in the world."

"Are you sure?" Taichi asked, "I've fought some demons that were pretty scary."

"You had enough courage to defeat them and that is why you have the crest of courage. Sora, The Lovely Amazon, you lived all by yourself since you were a child but through your loneliness, you were able to know what love was. You have the crest of love and sometimes love is the strongest force in the world."

Sora blushed lightly and looked down at her crest. She could feel Taichi's eyes on her.

"And Yamato, The Friendly Bard, your music is so peaceful that you were able to make friends with wolves. Your musical talent will help your new friends here to relax when they are upset."

Yamato looked at his crest and then his mandolin. He wanted to play a song as soon as possible.

"Koushiro, The Knowledgeable Sorcerer," Gennai said, walking by him, 'you learned things in one day what many learned in years. There has never been a sorcerer with as much knowledge as you."

"Sir, you must have more knowledge than I do," Koushiro stated. "You knew we were all coming one day."

Gennai smiled, "you're modest and have manners. I like that." He walked on to Mimi, "Mimi, The Sincere Princess. You have the crest of sincerity. Although you wanted to stay at your home, you came anyway because your heart is so sincere."

"Thank you," she said, "but I'm not a warrior. I don't know anything about fighting."

"You and your sister are enchantresses."

"We are?" she looked at Miyako.

"How come we never knew?" Miyako asked.

"You never had to use your magical abilities before," he explained. "You lived peacefully in your castle. Mimi, you can control plants, and Miyako, you can control fire and wind. I will teach you how to use it."

"We're honored, Gennai." Miyako said.

He walked to Jyou, The Reliable Healer, "you may not be a warrior either, but as a healer and priest, you can also use magic."

"I can?" he asked.

"Yes, Jyou. You can use holy magic and water."

"I don't like fighting," he admitted.

"I didn't expect you to," Gennai said, his hand on his shoulder, "but you may need to." Then he proceeded onward to Takeru. "It's different being an elf, isn't it son?"

Takeru nodded, "yes, but I don't think I would've survived if I stayed human."

"Elves can see in the dark and they have an interesting ability to charm animals."

"Like magic?"

He nodded, "I have a magic bow and arrows that I will teach you how to use."

Takeru smiled, "that sounds good."

"You are the Hopeful Elf and so you earned the crest of hope. Your magical arrows of hope will do more than pierce through your enemies flesh, but can make all the difference."

"Really?"

"Yes."

He laughed, "incredible."

"Yes, it is, isn't it?" Gennai smiled and looked on at Hikari. "Delightful Fairy, your spirit is brighter than any I have seen."

Hikari blushed, "how is that supposed to make me a warrior?"

"You also can use magic," he explained, "and you can change evil into good and dark into light."

"Magic," she sighed, "Never would've thought about that."

He walked to Daisuke, "you earned the ring of courage when your village was in trouble, but when you found that baby dragon, you made friends with it and earned the ring of friendship. That, Daisuke, Courageous and Friendly Dragonslayer, took even more courage."

Daisuke was impressed, "I couldn't have killed it. Not with the way it was looking at me. I don't think all dragons want to eat people."

"You're right," he told him. "There are some that will bring you luck and good fortune. You'll just need to know which are bad and which are good."

"I'll remember that."

Gennai looked at Iori, "The Knowledgeable and Reliable Samurai," he said, "As the youngest one here, you must be frightened."

"I was at first," the youth admitted, "but my grandfather made me realize how important knowledge and reliability was."

"Yes, they are," Gennai agreed and went to Ken, "it must've been harder for you to come, most of all."

Ken nodded, "I wasn't always this kind since my brother's accident. We all live in a cruel world and I just couldn't be pat of it anymore."

Gennai smiled, "kindness can go a long way."

"When to we start our training, Gennai?" Taichi asked.

"As soon as you are rested to begin it," he answered as a matter-of-factly. Sitting down in a chair.

"Can you tell us how long you've lived here?" Koushiro asked curiously, "how can one man live on a mountain so long?"

"I was born in a village like many of you were," Gennai replied. "When I was Taichi's age, I went on a journey to this mountain and here I stayed. I felt like this was where I belonged. I became a warrior of destiny, like I will teach you to be."

"Who taught you?" Iori questioned. "Was there another man who lived on this mountain?"

Impressed, Gennai chuckled, "no. I taught myself. This was where I found my crest." He grabbed the ivory crest, looked at it for a moment or two and looked up at the group of youths, "destiny."

"You don't look like a warrior to me," Daisuke said bluntly. Miyako looked at her with the 'how dare you,' look. If she were sitting next to him, she would have slapped him. Noticing this look, and some of the other glares from the others, he said quickly, "Oh, I'm sorry. I just…"

Gennai smiled and stood up and reached behind him to pull out seven-inch long rod. Two hook-like things popped from the sides and a long color-changing beam shot from the top, creating a buzzing noise. He reached the sword up over his head and a grunt escaped his mouth as he lurched over forward and cut the table--where the youths were eating--in half. They screamed and moved to the sides. Gennai stepped back and the beam went back through the opening of his rod. "Does that answer your question?"

Daisuke nodded, his face white.

"Any more questions?" Gennai asked.

Daisuke and the others shook their heads blankly.

"Good, go and get some rest." He commanded, "You will need it."

They decided not to argue with the man with a blazing sword and vacated to find the twelve beds that were waiting for them up stairs. When they were out of view, Gennai half turned and swooshed his sword in the air.

"He must be the best warrior alive!" Taichi exclaimed, making his way to one of the room that were for the male warriors while the girls went to the other one.

"I shouldn't have told him that," Daisuke grunted, "I'm too afraid to sleep!"

"Of course he would be a warrior," Takeru muttered to Daisuke, "he wouldn't have waited for us this long to make us warriors if he wasn't one himself!"

"He just didn't seem to be a warrior to me, elf boy!" Daisuke snapped, "and neither do you!"

"Stop!" Taichi bellowed, "You heard what the man said, get some sleep. He did not wait for us all this time to insult him and fight amongst ourselves."

"I didn't mean to insult him, I just meant--"

"Get some sleep!" Yamato added with a sneer. "And leave my brother alone!"

"Gennai must also be a sorcerer himself," Koushiro said, his left hand cupping his right elbow and his right hand holding his chin. "And a powerful one at that. Hmm."

"Did you see his crest?" Iori asked, "What do you think it means?"

"Aye, a good question," Koushiro agreed. "He didn't tell us."

He looked around the room for any books but the room had nothing in it but eight beds. "He must have many books on sorcery. Perhaps even a library."

Jyou reached in his bag and pulled out some bandages, 'It's a very good thing I brought these.' He looked at them and put them back in. 'He's going to train us really hard.'

"The nerve of that Dragonslayer!" Miyako shrieked, "insulting Gennai like that! Of course he would be a warrior!"

"I wonder how he was able to learn to be such a good swordsman," Sora said, placing her spear next to the bed she chosen. "And how he got a sword like that."

"He probably got it when he got his crest," Hikari suggested, lying down on her bed. "I'm glad he's letting us rest before he trains us."

"I still don't understand that we're enchantresses," Mimi said, taking off her shoes and rubbing her feet. "But I'd rather use magic than a sword. Maybe I can cast a spell on that handsome bard!"

"Gennai said you will have control over plants," Miyako said drearily, "and the name of that handsome bard is Yamato!" She folded her arms and sat down on her bed.

"Gennai must be very lonely," Hikari sympathized, "living in this large house all by himself, all alone on this mountain."

"I'm sure he's glad we finally came," Miyako sighed, falling asleep.

"I hope this training won't be too strenuous," Mimi mumbled.

"I wouldn't mind it," Sora said honestly, "He would have to train us very hard to be Warriors of destiny. Whatever he expects us go fight, must be powerful. So we should be well taught or the alternative might insult in us getting hurt, or worse."

The twelve warriors all fell asleep to prepare them for Gennai's training. Koushiro was the first to wake up. He slept for an hour and feeling quite rested; he got up leave the room. His new comrades were fast asleep, some lying in peculiar positions. He went down to look around the giant house. The young sorcerer was right; Gennai did have a library and when he saw the many books, he felt like a little boy in a candy store.

"There must be well over a thousand books here!" he exclaimed in a whisper. Getting over his shock, he ran to a bookcase and grabbed as many books he could possibly hold and sat in a chair, lit a candle and began to read.

"Couldn't sleep long enough before finding the books, hmm?" Gennai said as he entered the library.

"Oh!" Koushiro blushed and nearly dropped the book.

Gennai grinned and walked to Koushiro, "I knew you would and I'm glad you found the library before I had to show it to you."

"Y-you were going to show it to me anyway?" Koushiro asked.

"Yes, Koushiro," Gennai replied, "It's only the beginning of your training. To sorcerers, books are more valuable than gold."

Koushiro looked down at the book he was reading, "I agree with you. I haven't seen so many books, even at the school of sorcery. How were you able to get all this books? Were they here when you found this house? Who lived here?"

"Curious as a cat, you are," Gennai said, his arms behind his back. He walked passed the many bookcases and sighed, "This house was condemned when I arrived here. Only half of these books you see now where here then. I got the rest at old churches and in labyrinths. I became the best swordsman who ever lived."

"Aren't you a sorcerer too?" Koushiro asked, "You must be if you have all these books. You probably read them all!"

Gennai let out a throaty laugh and looked at Koushiro, "I had the opportunity to all read all these, but I haven't."

"I don't understand," Koushiro muttered, surprised by Gennai's laugh.

"My dear boy," Gennai said, "these books are not for me, they're for you!"

Koushiro looked around, "all of these, for me?"

"Yes, don't you know, Koushiro?" Gennai said. "I knew you and the others were coming. So I decided to prepare myself and get all the books I could find. I didn't just find books of magic, but of war, history and myths. I do know sorcery but I don't use as often as you will be needing to." He sighed, "but when I become an old man and my strength decreases, I will be using magic more and steel less."

Koushiro smiled, "I'm still amazed that you got all these books for me. What about the others? Miyako and--"

"Oh yes, they'll need to read a few books too," Gennai said quickly. "Jyou will need to learn to do something more than just heal the others and Miyako and Mimi will need to learn their new skills as well."

"Gennai, may I teach Miyako?" he asked, "and work with her?"

"Ah, you want to help her learn magic well, hmm?" Gennai questioned, folding his arms.

Koushiro blushed and looked at the floor, "It's just easier to learn magic with someone than by yourself."

Gennai nodded, "Of course. You will all need to help each other."

One by one, the soldiers were well rested and ready to start their training.

"Mimi," Miyako grunted, nudging her sister, who seemed to be still asleep, "wake up!"

"But I am," she yawned.

"Wake up some more!" she hissed, "you slept long enough." Koushiro caught her eye and she sighed, "Oh, Koushiro, couldn't sleep long either?"

He shook his head, "Miyako, how would you like to learn magic with me? I can teach you."

Miyako smiled, "That's wonderful!" she hurried to his side, "I see you've already started."

"Yes."

"How much sorcery am I supposed to learn?" Jyou asked uneasily.

"Not to worry," Gennai said, "you will not need to learn as much as Koushiro. You will learn different spells."

"I see."

"And us?" Mimi asked. "I do not like to read!"

"He knows," Miyako groaned.

"Just enough to control plants, wind and fire." Gennai said. "Shall we begin?"

"That is why we came all this way, Gennai," Taichi said.

"Follow me to the combat room," Gennai commanded.

Taichi exchanged glances, "combat room?"

"Now, Taichi," Gennai began, "you will spar with Sora."

"Fight with a woman?" he asked, "but--"

"It's all right," Sora said quickly. "I don't mind sparing with you, Taichi."

"I don't want to hurt you," he mumbled.

She smiled, "I lived in the forest for a long time. I can handle a little pain!"

"You will both practice with staffs," Gennai explained, "so hurting each other will not be much of a problem." He took away Taichi's morning star and Sora's spear and handed them two long staffs. "Begin!"

Sora and Taichi approached each other with their weapons. Taichi was surprised, yet impressed by Sora's strength. She was really quick and he didn't have to go easy on her.

"Your speed is a good tool, Sora," Gennai complemented.

As Taichi and Sora continued to train with each other, Gennai taught Yamato how his bard songs would help the group in their quests.

"Bards are welcome in every village," Gennai began.

"He's right about that," Mimi whispered to Miyako.

"People will pay to hear some folklore or hear some of your music," Gennai said to Yamato.

Yamato nodded, "yes, many people will offer me more than just gold to hear a song and the latest gossip."

"And that is very important," Gennai explained, "your charisma will come in handy when you are confronted by a bounty hunter or if you need to get into a tavern that is full. If you're lucky, you may be able to pick someone's pocket in the process."

"Oh, I don't want to steel from anyone," Yamato said, "Unless I have to."

"There will be times when you might," Gennai said, "and because you are the friendly bard, it should not be too hard."

Yamato frowned slightly, "and what will I do if that doesn't work? I don't want to hurt anyone…unless I have to."

"You came prepared with a dagger," Gennai noted, "people may try to steal your money and if you get in a situation you cannot talk your way out of, you may need to use violence. And there are more than just thieves out there, there are demons, hobgoblins and other beasts as well."

Gennai continued to train warriors one by one and left him or her alone to use what he had showed them.

"Agh!" Miyako hissed, "This isn't right!"

"Trying to cast a spell?" Koushiro asked.

"Yes," she whispered, "telekinesis. It looks easy but--"

Koushiro muttered a few words and a book moved.

"How did you do that?" she questioned.

"It was the first spell I learned," he replied.

"How many spells do you know?" she asked playfully.

"Ten," he answered.

"Ten!"

He blushed, "But they're not exactly perfected. I need to practice some more."

"I don't understand how Gennai expects me to control fire and wind when I can't get a simple book to move." She moaned. "I spent most my years as a princess. I didn't know I was an enchantress!"

"Magic is not an easy subject," Koushiro admitted. "But you're catching on. Look at how your sister is doing!"

"Grow, you cursed plant!" Mimi shouted, "Grow!"

Miyako giggled lightly at her sister's bad fortune.

"Ahh!" Taichi stumbled back as he dodged a swing from Sora and he fell down.

"Are you all right?" she asked quickly, leaning down to take his hand.

"Yes," he took her hand and pulled her to the ground and held her there as he got back up.

"Gennai, he cheated!" she tattled, "Do you have a penalty for that?"

Gennai chortled and shook his head. "Not all training has to be work, you know."

"It--it doesn't?" Iori asked.

"No, young Iori," Gennai said, "It can be fun too."

"My grandfather told me something like that."

The twelve young warriors trained with one another a few days and they all grew closer as they became excellent fighters in both magic and might.

"Now take a rest, my warriors," Gennai said, "I have something to tell you."

They ceased their training and gathered around him, like young children would do to a storyteller.

"You've done well," he said proudly. "I'm quite impressed. I have for you your first quest. I need you to travel wide and far to find four special stones called the destiny stones." (I happen to like the destiny stones and I had to give them some kind of quest!)

"Destiny stones?" Koushiro asked, "Where are they? Will you take us there?"

"No," he answered, "this is something you must do on your own. You shall be able to find them on your own. I have trust in you."

"What should we do once we find them?" Iori asked.

"You must guard them," Gennai said, "protect them so that evil will never find them and destroy them. You see, if they are found by the wrong hands, they may be destroyed and if they are, it can put our world in a lot of danger."

"And what do we do after that?" Taichi demanded, as if the quest wasn't all that significant, "would we have more quests? Do we come back here?"

Gennai smiled, "Taichi, you and the others are always welcome here. Always. You do not have to take the quests from me. There will be others that will need your help."

"Have you seen them before?" Hikari asked, "What are they like?"

"Yes," Gennai nodded, "long ago when I was around Taichi's age. They are of great size. I never knew that stones could get so large. Also, there is a large golden ring with hieroglyphics around them."

"Do you know what they say?" Koushiro questioned, obviously interested in the whole thing. "Do they bring good luck and--"

"Oh, Koushiro," Gennai said, shaking his shoulder as he walked by him, "I was just a boy when I saw one. It was in the desert. I didn't know what they said but I knew they were important. If anyone can figure out what the hieroglyphics say, you can."

Koushiro vowed himself silently that he would find out all about the destiny stones.

"When do we leave?" Iori asked finally.

"Tomorrow," Gennai replied, "tomorrow. We will train a little more today and I will give you gifts before you leave tomorrow."

"This is our destiny, to find these stones?" Yamato asked.

"Yes."

They were silent; not quite sure what else to ask. Gennai didn't know all the answers, just how they would be able to get them. It was their quest and not Gennai's.

"Now eat, train, rest if you'd like," Gennai urged, "Sunset is not for a few more hours." He smiled at the warriors, but somehow, it looked rather sad. Gennai then walked out of the house to train himself with his magical sword.

Sora sighed, "I think he gets rather lonely out here by himself. The happiest he's ever been was when we came here the last few days ago and when we leave tomorrow he'll be all lonely and sad again."

"We all have a destiny," Mimi said with a frown, "and this must be his."

"So sad," Sora repeated, shaking his head, "just so…sad."

Miyako swallowed and tried to be optimistic, "we are doing the right thing. He knew we weren't going to stay with him forever, even if he wanted us to." She looked at Koushiro and smiled, "Koushiro, will you train with me outside?"

"Of course, Miyako," he responded politely.

She placed her hand on his inner elbow and he blushed as he escorted her outside. Mimi sighed and looked at Yamato, "will you play a song for us? I love to listen to you play!"

"Of course," Yamato replied, as if she didn't even have to ask. He grabbed his mandolin and broke into song. Only she, Hikari and Takeru stayed. Sora remained sitting, deciding whether to listen to Yamato or do something else and Taichi grabbed her arm and led her to the training room. Daisuke challenged Ken to a battle and after Iori volunteered to play the winner, Jyou waited until someone got hurt.

"Let's see just how kind you are!" Daisuke teased, "I'm the Courageous and--" Ken zoomed by him and tapped him on his side lightly with his sword, careful not to cut him. He turned around, amazed, "You almost cut me!"

Ken smiled, "are you going to fight are just brag the whole time?"

"Why you!" he lunged toward Ken and Ken dropped and swipe-kicked him at his ankles. Daisuke gasped and fell down to the ground. "Where did you learn that? Did Gennai teach you that?"

Ken shook his head.

Daisuke pulled himself to his feet. "You're really good."

"You think if you pretend to be my friend I'll go easy on you?" Ken demanded playfully, his hands on his hips.

Daisuke blushed and tried to hide his embarrassment. "Well, I--"

Ken laughed as he glanced away and back to Daisuke. "I won't use my swords," he gave them to Iori to hold and stood back where he had been standing. "Go ahead and fight me, if you're brave enough."

"Of course I am!" Daisuke yelled, "I'm the Courageous and Friendly Dragonslayer! I've slain five dragons, I can handle one ninja!" He tightened his hands around the hilt of his sword and ran to Ken and as he was about to strike him, Ken flipped over his head and kicked him in the back, rolling away.

"I think I win," Ken said. "Unless you want to continue."

"No, no, that won't be necessary," he said getting up. "I give up, for now."

"Well, until next time, my worthy adversary," Ken said and held out his hand.

Daisuke stared at it for a while and then slipped his hand into it. "Until next time, Kind Ninja."

Ken smirked, "you're lucky I'm kind again or you would've gotten worse."

"I believe that!" Daisuke wheezed and looked at Iori," it's your turn now!"

Iori gulped, "on second thought, I just remembered that my grandfather told me that samurais and ninjas have bad grudges so I think I'll just pass!" He turned on his heel and went back into the house.

Daisuke and Ken exchanged glances and let out throaty laughs. Daisuke quit quickly, as it hurt his side. "Augh!"

Jyou stepped to him, "let me see. Oh, it's just a bruise."

"Just a bruise!?" Daisuke shouted.

***

Koushiro and Miyako sat side by side by the edge of the mountain, chanting some magic words together that Koushiro was reading from a book.

"Mackmar soli electo--" he instructed.

"Mackmar soli electo?" she whispered questionably.

He nodded, "you're getting it."

"So many words to remember," she sighed. "Thank you for helping me, Koushiro."

"Of course."

She looked out to the sky. There was a reddish tinge on the horizon as the sun was about to set. She closed her eyes and sighed dramatically. "I like it here."

"Me too," Koushiro agreed.

"I don't know if I'm ready to find the destiny stones yet," she muttered. "It might be too soon."

"Gennai must think we're ready or otherwise he wouldn't be sending us tomorrow," Koushiro said.

"There are so many kinds of spells," she complained, "and I can't just remember them all."

"You won't have to, Miyako," he said, "Just use the ones you do know."

"I wish I knew everything you did, Koushiro," she teased, wrapping her arms around her knees and setting her head on them. "I bet you know ever spell there is!"

Koushiro blushed, "I doubt it."

"I'm glad you're with us," she said, taking her head off her knees and moving closer to him. "I don't even want to think of what would happen to us if--" she stopped suddenly, realizing she was becoming too pessimistic. "Well, you're here now so there really is no point in thinking the opposite is there?"

Koushiro smiled, "I'm sure that everything will turn out just fine. We were all destined to come here and learn from Gennai, find the destiny stones. When we're all together, then nothing should go wrong."

"Oh, Koushiro," she breathed, leaning close, "I--"

"M-Miyako?"

She swallowed, trying to keep her voice from wavering, "Koushiro, tell me the greatest magic."

"There is a lot of magic," he said quickly, "it's hard to choose--"

"Oh, I'm sure you do know," she said, sliding her hand up his chest, her long fingers lingering on his collarbone. She stared at it for a while and looked up to his dark eyes, "Tell me, Koushiro, the greatest, most powerful magic in the world. Tell me to the best of your knowledge. What do you believe is the best magic? Is it fire? Wind? Transfiguration? Telekinesis?" Her eyes fell half-shut as she leaned closer to him, "Lo-oooovvvvveee?"

Koushiro froze. He couldn't speak. Couldn't move. He felt her lips touch his softly and her free hand moved to his back. His breath escaped without warning and his eyes grew heavy. The kiss lingered, not ceasing. Koushiro realized what was taking place and decided there was nothing better than to participate in the moment before it ended while he was still in his daze. He cupped her face in both of his hands and leaned into the kiss. Thinking she had done more harm than good, Miyako gasped and pulled away. Surprised and somewhat disappointed, he gazed up at her.

"Miyako--"

"Oh, Koushiro, I'm so sorry!" she said, "I don't know what came over me. I shouldn't have kissed you. Maybe I'm just nervous about the quest. I--" she bit her bottom lip and went into the house before he saw her cry.

"Hello, Miyako, would you like to--" Mimi began and quickly stopped as she saw her sister's expression. "Oh, excuse me," she said to the others and followed Miyako upstairs.

Yamato continued to play for his brother and Hikari and tell him the kinds of stories he heard, not to mention the good times they had when they were younger.

"That sounds amazing," Takeru said, "I wish I could've been there with you."

"Don't worry, Takeru," Yamato said, "we'll have plenty of time to make new adventures."

Hikari sat on her shins, her wings folded behind her as she sat next to Takeru. "My brother and I have good memories as well. One time we--"

***

"Miyako, why are you crying?" Mimi asked.

"I kissed Koushiro," she replied as she perched on her bed and wiped her tears. "I don't know what came over me. We were learning magical phrases together and he looked so handsome, I just couldn't handle myself. He's so understanding, so wise."

"That's why you're crying?" Mimi questioned, thinking there had to be something more serious.

"Mimi," she muttered, "I shouldn't get too close to him at this time. It's too risky. We might never see each other again after the quest and what if he gets hurt?"

"That is why Jyou is with us," Mimi explained, "he's a healer and Koushiro is too smart to get hurt."

"I wish we were back home," Miyako muttered. "And never came here."

"You were the one who insisted that we come her ein the first place!" Mimi shouted, "we're here now and we're going to keep going."

"I just hope I haven't made the biggest mistake of my life," Miyako said.

***

"You want to spar with me some more?" Sora asked Taichi distastefully. "Why don't you ask the bard for a showdown?"

"I'd think you'd rather be prepared to fight whatever is out there than to listen to him play," Taichi grunted, tossing her a staff.

Sora looked at the staff and threw it aside, deciding to use her spear. "Very well. I'm not going to go easy on you."

"I don't expect you to," Taichi said.

"And don't go easy on me either," she muttered, "I can handle a fight with a man, in case you've forgotten." She advanced him and he blocked her attack with his staff and cornered her to the wall quickly.

Taichi stared her down and prevented her from moving.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" she demanded. "Stop!"

"I can't help it," he whispered.

"Is this the way you always fight?" she asked.

"What are you afraid of, Sora?" he questioned.

"What? How dare you ask me that!" she hissed, "I'm not afraid of anything!"

"Really?" his face moved closer to hers. "There are so many dangers out there, evil demons, thieves, wild animals--they don't frighten you?"

"No." She said through clenched death.

"You don't have to be afraid about them," he muttered, "I'll protect you."

"I don't need your protection," she snarled, "I can take care of myself!" She tried to move away but he pushed her against the wall. "Let me go!"

"You may not be afraid of monsters, but there is one thing you fear, isn't there?" he asked tauntingly. "Tell me, Sora, what do you fear?"

"You're mocking me," she hissed, "stop it!"

"You have the crest of love and yet you do not know what love is," he sneered. "And they call you the lovely amazon!"

"I do too know what love is!" she snapped, "I love animals, nature and--"

"But what about people, hmm?" he questioned, his hot breath searing on her neck. "You didn't really care if I found my sister, did you? In fact, you told me to give up because you don't know what it's like to love someone and have them ripped from your life and wonder where they are!"

"I was an only child. My parents were killed."

"Is that why you keep yourself away from me, from the others?"

"I do not mind them," she said, looking away. "We have to work together."

"Why did you follow me, Sora?" he asked, grasping her chin to force her to look at him. "Was it because you missed me and wanted to be near me or was it just because you felt like going to the mountain?"

"That is none of your concern," she snipped.

"Isn't it?" he asked. "Why didn't you kill me the night I came to your cave? You do have a caring heart--no matter how hard you look on the outside--you can't stand to see someone starve to death. You couldn't kill me and you didn't want to. You felt it, didn't you?"

"I don't understand," she muttered. "I thought you wanted to train with me and you're interrogating me as I am a thief!"

"I know what you're afraid of, Sora," he whispered, "you're afraid of love, aren't you? You're afraid of falling in love with me, admit it!"

"You're insane! That's not true!"

"Then kiss me!" he shouted, "I've felt something the night I met you and I know you did too. If you're not afraid of love then kiss me. I want to feel your lips against mine. I do not want to die without knowing the sweet taste of your lips." He ran his finger over them.

She turned her head to the side to prevent him from kissing her.

It seemed so hard with the passion that was building up inside her, inside them both. If she wasn't so hostile, distant, then maybe she'd let him kiss her but she knew he was right. She did fear love. Sora stayed away from any means of human contact. It was how she was able to survive so long, at least, that is what she thought. Being this close to Taichi made her afraid--she did not know what to do. A part of her wanted to kiss Taichi with enough energy to fight a war but another part, the one that was stronger, the one Taichi and the others saw more of, was to push him away and run him through. But at this point, she couldn't do either. Sora was confused.

"Even if I did love you," she muttered, refusing to make eye contact. "It would be wrong."

"What do you mean?"

"We were destined to be warriors," she retorted, rolling her eyes to the ground, "not lovers, do you understand? We are warriors of destiny. That is why we came here. Gennai trained us to be warriors for destiny, to fight together as a group but he didn't say anything about us falling in love with each other. We're not supposed to become close, it would ruin everything if there were serious feelings involved, do you understand what I'm saying?" she looked at him finally and pushed against him with all her strength, making him move a step back, "I don't love you because I can't! And I never will! I don't need you, Taichi, and I don't need anyone here! As soon as we finish finding the destiny stones, I'm going back to my home and I'll never see you again!" she pointed at him and stepped away from him. "I suggest you do the same!"

"You don't mean that," Taichi said, grabbing her by the wrists. "Look at me, Sora."

"Let me go! That's enough!"

He shook her, "look at me, please! Look me in the eyes and tell me you don't love me."

She swallowed, looked at his eyes and opened her mouth to speak but all that came out was a squeak. Then she looked back down at the ground with tears starting to blur her vision.

"Sora, you don't have to be afraid of loving me," he said, "I won't hurt you. I--"

"That's enough!" she brought her arms down, hitting him in the wrists to make him let go of her. Before he could grab her again, she took her spear, swiped his feet to trip him and planted her foot on his chest to prevent him from getting back up. She bright her spear down to his throat and he could feel the tip of it.

"Go ahead," he said, "if you think you can."

Sora bit her lip and they looked at each other for what seemed to be an eternity. Her hands wanted to move the spear closer to his throat, just a little farther and he would be dead. But her heart made them stay put and it made the spear shake a little. She couldn't bring herself to kill him.

"Don't touch me," she said, "never touch me. Never talk to me. I don't need your love. I've lived in the forest my whole life without anyone to watch over me and I certainly don't need you to hold my hand. Why don't you be more concerned about your sister? She is why you came out to the forest in the first place. Just stay away from me. Do you hear me? Keep your distance or I will not be responsible for my actions!" After saying that, she took her foot of her chest, dropped her spear and left before he could see the tears in her eyes.

Taichi blinked and sighed. Even though he knew she wasn't going to kill him, he still felt uncomfortable about being on the dangerous end of a weapon.

***

After sundown, the warriors retired to bed.

"It will be an excellent adventure," Hikari said excitedly, "I cannot wait!"

Miyako smiled and said not as excitedly, "Yes. All this training should pay off."

Sora lied down on her side with her back to the others. Unfortunately, she could not share Hikari's enthusiasm. She just wanted to get the adventure over with so she could go back to her simple, yet lonely life.

Next Chapter: Danger in the Wilderness