Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Warriors of Destiny ❯ Danger in the Wilderness ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Warriors of Destiny 4

Danger In The Wilderness

Most of them awakened rather late. Koushiro, of course, was the first to wake up, an hour before sunrise. He was ready for the quest and he had more questions for Gennai. He hadn't told them what his crest means. Koushiro also thought a lot about the kiss Miyako gave him.

As Koushiro passed his still sleeping friends and walked down the stairs, he wondered why Miyako had kissed him so unexpectedly and ended the kiss so abruptly. He had enjoyed it even if it did take him by surprise. He hoped that she wasn't embarrassed by her action.

Koushiro looked around the main room, "Gennai?" he said. He checked the library, the armory, and the cellar and still didn't find him. For a moment Koushiro thought he was the only one up and he heard noises coming from outside.

There he found Gennai.

"Gennai?"

Gennai was training himself with his sword and just cut a board in half. 'He must train himself for hours,' Koushiro thought. 'Does he ever sleep?'

"Ah, up already?" Gennai asked, bringing the shiny and glowing blade back into the rod of his magical sword.

Koushiro nodded, "yes. You train yourself hard, Gennai. Do you have any enemies?"

Gennai smiled at his curiosity. "Everyone has a nemesis. For everything, there is an opposition. For the light, there is darkness, for courage, fear, for destiny, fate. No one can change that."

"But you don't look like the man with any enemies," Koushiro said. "You're so wise, kind--why would anyone hate you?"

"My dear boy," Gennai said with a straight face, "that is one thing I cannot tell you." He turned and continued to train. Koushiro took it as a sign that he did not want to talk anymore and went back inside to wait for the others to wake up.

'Why do I get the feeling that there is something that Gennai isn't telling us?' Koushiro asked himself. Trying to get his mind off it, Koushiro settled in the library and read.

The next few to wake up were Iori, Miyako, Jyou, and Sora.

"Good morning, Koushiro," Iori said, bowing.

"Iori," Koushiro bowed back and caught glance of Miyako. "Oh, Miyako, good morning."

She smiled but didn't say anything to him, instead, turned to Sora and said, "I wonder what's for breakfast."

Sora nodded, "I can cook something if Gennai lets me. Are you hungry, Miyako?"

Miyako blushed, "yes."

"I've still got food left over," Jyou said, stifling a yawn. "It was hard to sleep with Taichi snoring."

"Taichi?" Iori said, "was that who it was?"

"No, it was Daisuke," Koushiro confirmed. "I could hear the snoring come from him when I woke up this morning."

Hikari floated down hand in hand with Takeru. When they saw the others, they blushed and let go of each other's hands.

"Oh, good morning," Hikari said.

The rest gave their "good mornings."

"Everyone still asleep?" Miyako asked.

Hikari nodded. "They're probably nervous about leaving."

"Where's Gennai?" Takeru queried. "Sleeping?"

"No, he's outside," Koushiro answered sadly.

"Outside?" Takeru looked quite worried. "For how long?"

"Since I woke up," Koushiro explained.

"I don't see him sleep," Hikari said. "It's like he's not even human."

"All he ever does is train us or train his self," Koushiro sighed.

"The sun has risen," Sora said, looking out the window. "Gennai wanted us awake at sunrise. If everyone doesn't come down now then I--"

Coming down the stairs was Yamato and Taichi. "Who was snoring?" Taichi demanded and looked at Yamato. "You?"

"You were," Yamato grunted.

"No, it was Daisuke," Koushiro repeated. "Daisuke."

"Yes, he was the one who was snoring," Takeru agreed. "His mouth was wide open."

"Oh," both Yamato and Taichi blushed.

"That's right," Taichi said, "he snores every night."

Now coming down the stairs was Ken, "morning." He mumbled.

"Is Daisuke up?" Taichi asked.

Ken nodded.

"Good morning everyone!" Daisuke said cheerfully, "isn't it a lovely morning?" He looked at Hikari, "how are you, Hikari?"

"It'd would've been better if you weren't snoring for the whole night!" Taichi bellowed. "And I thought I told you to stay away from my sister!"

Hikari covered her mouth and giggled.

"I was snoring?" Daisuke said, turning pink, "oh, I feel embarrassed."

"Why, good morning," Gennai entered the house and wiped sweat from his brow. "You're all up at sunrise."

"Except for my sister," Miyako said, "she likes to stay up late and sleep in. I'll go and fetch her."

"Thank you, Miyako."

Miyako hurried up the stairs, opened the door and saw her sister sitting up and rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

"Mimi," Miyako scowled, "everyone is waiting for you!"

"Everyone?" she yawned, "even Yamato?"

"You're not dressed yet," Miyako frowned, "today is when we go out our quest, remember?" She grabbed her arm and pulled her out of bed.

"Oh, yes."

"Gennai wanted us all up at sunrise," Miyako muttered.

"Oh, I forgot," she said, as she took off her nightgown and placed on her clothes. "I wish we brought more clothes with us. Yamato is probably tired of me wearing this silly old thing all the time."

"Yes, but you didn't want to carry them!" Miyako said. "Please hurry and get dressed, Mimi."

"What's for breakfast?" Mimi asked.

"I'm not sure."

"Fresh fruit, I hope. Ah, Miyako, hand me my lipstick."

"We didn't bring make up with us, Mimi," Miyako reminded, "we just brought water."

"I can't believe we left everything at home!" Mimi yelled. "I want to look my best."

"Just come on before they leave without us!" Miyako grabbed her wrist and pulled her down the stairs. "I'm sorry if I took too long."

"Do not blame my sister," Mimi said, "these beds are just so comfortable!"

Gennai smiled and nodded, "I understand. I will make breakfast for you now."

"Mind if I help, Gennai?" Sora asked.

"Thank you child," he said, "but I can manage."

He made a hearty breakfast and explained a bit more about the Destiny stones. "There is one close by," he said, "in these mountains."

They listened intently to what he had to say, especially Koushiro.

"Gennai, what is the symbol of your crest?" Koushiro asked, "Is it the same as ours?"

"Aye, it is," he said. "But I cannot tell you its meaning quite yet. Perhaps when you return."

Koushiro cocked an eyebrow, 'He is hiding something, but why? Doesn't he trust us?'

"Is it very dangerous out here, Gennai?" Hikari questioned.

He nodded, "but not to worry, you will be able to defend yourself. Just remember everything you've learned."

"Besides," Taichi said, "I'm not going to let anyone hurt you."

"Big brothers don't know when to stop," Hikari muttered to herself.

They finished eating and as they grabbed their things, Gennai said, "There are some things I would like to give you before you go."

"Thank you, Gennai," Koushiro whispered.

He gave Taichi a new suit of armor and a magical morning star. He replaced Sora's old spear with one that will not break and studded leather armor. For Yamato, a new cloak, for the sorcerer and enchantress, new robes and staffs. Gennai gave Jyou potions and healing ointments. Takeru got a quiver of arrows and a magical bow and a telescope and for the fairy Hikari, a magical wand. Daisuke got a new suit of armor, a sword and shield. For Iori, Gennai gave him a new sword and for Ken, magical smoke pellets and ninja stars.

"These items are magical," Gennai explained, "so they will protect you better than anything else."

"I wish you could come with us Gennai," Hikari said, "It's not right for us to just leave you here after everything you've done for us."

"I will be here when you return," Gennai said. He put his hand on Taichi's shoulder and whispered in his ear so no one else could hear what he told him. Hikari strained to hear him but couldn't. "Taichi, you are the strongest and the bravest warrior I have ever come across with. You must lead them in this quest. They will be lost without you, Taichi. They need your courage more than you realize. Remember this, Taichi, the strength of your courage. It will make all the difference is you just keep your courage. Do you understand, Taichi?"

"Yes," he muttered.

"Good," he slapped his shoulder and stepped back. "Good luck, all of you. I'll be waiting for your return."

"Goodbye, Gennai," Taichi said and they left his home into the wilderness.

*****************

They traveled for hours and still no sign of a destiny stone anywhere. Yamato chatted away and played his mandolin. "Walk lightly, folks, keep moving," he said as he plucked at his mandolin. Mimi kept at his side and giggled at every word he said.

'Stupid bard,' Taichi thought, 'won't he shut up? If he won't stop playing soon I'll tear that damn instrument of his apart!'

"Taichi, what did Gennai say to you?" Hikari asked, "anything wrong?"

"No, Hikari," he said.

"Words of encouragement?"

"Yes," he said. "Yes."

"Didn't he say there was one near here?" Daisuke questioned, "we've been walking for hours and I haven't seen a large stone anywhere!"

"Maybe he should've given us a map of this whole country," Iori suggested.

"Our crests should show us the way," Koushiro said. "Gennai told us there were markings on the stones and they must be related to the ones on our crests somehow."

"I wonder how we're supposed to protect it when we find it," Miyako said, "Certainly we don't have to guard it the rest of our lives."

"No, I don't believe so," Koushiro agreed, "Because we're supposed to stay together until we find them all."

"Wait," Takeru said, reaching for his new telescope and pulling it to his eyes, "I think I've found one," he handed his telescope to Yamato. "See it?"

"Yes, I see it," Yamato said.

"Really?" Koushiro muttered, "Let me have a look."

"I want to see it too!" Mimi cried.

"Are you sure that's what it is?" Jyou asked and a few pairs of hands started reaching for Takeru's telescope that was clutched in Yamato's hands.

"Stop it!" Sora shouted, startling the others, "Let's just keep moving!"

They decided not to argue with her and walked until they reached the large destiny stone near the top of a mountain.

"How did it get so big?" Miyako asked.

Koushiro walked close to the destiny stone and cupped his chin. "These runes on the ring," he said, "I've seen them before."

"What do they say?" Taichi questioned.

"It's some sort of code," Koushiro said, "I think I know how we can protect it. We have to summon an animal, the stone's guardian."

"How?" Hikari asked.

"With magic, of course," Miyako said. "Do you know what animal it is?"

"Yes," he said but didn't tell them the animal. He began to read aloud what the markings were, which was in a language the others did not understand--and the ring began to glow.

"Could he speak so we can understand what he's saying?" Mimi muttered.

"Shh!" Miyako shushed, "let him continue!"

There were little specks of white glowing light floating above the giant destiny stone and they formed into a bigger ball, creating four brilliantly white longs legs with golden hoofs, a white tail and strong horse's body, neck, mane, and face. On the forehead, protruded a long golden horn.

"It's a unicorn!" Hikari shouted, flying to the top to stroke its neck, just to insure that it was real. The unicorn neighed softly.

"Oh, look at it," Mimi sighed, "isn't it beautiful, Miyako?"

"Looks like s'one's 'ady found it." Said a gruffly voice. A pack of trolls stepped toward them.

"Trolls," Takeru muttered, "I hate trolls! They eat elves!"

Hikari gasped, "Takeru, be careful!"

"We won't let you destroy the destiny stone!" Taichi shouted.

"Destiny stone?" said a troll, whamming its club into his hand. "We dinnit said anything 'bout a destiny stone!"

"They're after the unicorn!" Takeru yelled. "They also drink unicorn blood!"

"Unicorn blood?" Miyako gasped, disgusted.

"Savages!" Sora shouted, tossing her magical spear into the heart of the nearest troll.

"We can't let them endanger the guardian," Koushiro warned, "The unicorn is the stone's only defense."

"We ain't leavin' w'out our unicorn blood!" they roared, starting in an attack.

Hikari tried to keep the unicorn stable, "you must protect the destiny stone. Don't let yourself get hurt."

Miyako circled her fingers around the ruby atop of her staff and a cloud appeared around it. She muttered a few words and pointed her staff to the lot of trolls, "WHIRLING WINDS!" she screamed and a deep whoosh of wind forced the trolls from coming any closer.

"Gnaa, dey use 'ajic on us!"

Miyako looked at her sister with the 'do something' look and Mimi nodded. She held out her staff, which had an emerald at the top. "SLITHERING VINES!" vines came from the ground and circled around their feet and hands and necks. They tried to move but the vines tightened even more around them, shutting off their air supply and preventing them from breathing.

"cnt move…breathe…" They gasped for breath.

Now it was Koushiro's turn to work his magic. He held his staff over his head and shouted, "PURPLE LIGHTNING!" Purple bolts of lightning scattered around and crawled up the vines, giving the trolls a giant charge of electricity.

The unicorn reared up, neighing loudly and pointed its golden horn at the group of elves. A silver light emitted from its horn and turned the trolls into stone and then they broke into tiny little pieces.

"That was easy," Miyako muttered.

"Yes," Mimi agreed. "But I think we'll encounter more than just stupid old trolls."

"It won't be very easy from now on," Koushiro said. "Gennai was right; it is dangerous out here. The destiny stones must not fall into the wrong hands. The trolls weren't looking for the stones, but for the unicorn." He cupped his chin, "maybe there are other dangerous creatures and people searching for not the stones, but for the ones that guard them." His voice became serious and almost panicky, "and when they do find the guardians, they'll find the destiny stones!"

"If they injure the guardians then the stones will be also be damaged," Miyako added, "they mustn't find the stones!"

"We had better hurry then," Taichi said, sternly, "and find the other three stones before the wrong people do."

Hikari frowned and stayed close to the unicorn. "But--" she began.

"Hikari," Taichi said, "we can't stay. Say goodbye to the unicorn and let's go."

She sighed, pressing her face on his neck and tangling the hairs of his mane about her fingers. The unicorn seemed to since her hesitation to leave, for he closed his eyes and laid his chin on her back. She had only just found the unicorn and made a bond with it. Unlike the others except for Takeru, she was a magical creature so she was quick to bond with unicorns, elves, mermaids and the like.

"Goodbye," she whispered reluctantly and the unicorn neighed sadly.

"Come," Takeru said, taking her hand. "It's for the best."

"I hope no one will hurt it," she said, looking over her shoulder as they left the unicorn and the first destiny stone.

"Don't worry," he said reassuringly, "you saw how he took care of those trolls. Unicorns are powerful. You should know that. I bet you've spent your whole life with them, haven't you?"

"Takeru," she said, blushing a bit, "of course. I'm not a human anymore. I'm a fairy and fairies can bond with unicorns, dryads, and--"

"Elves?" he asked suddenly.

"Why, yes, of course elves." She said, trying to hide her embarrassment. "Fairies and elves are very close."

"How close?" he questioned.

"They're almost like the same race," she replied, "Fairies are like elves except they have wings. Fairies and elves have been know to--well--" she cleared her throat to keep her self from making herself regret something she'll say later.

"Oh, I see," Takeru said, nodding. "Fall in love. I've heard legends too."

"What kind of rubbish are you speaking about?" Daisuke demanded roughly.

"Nothing that would concern you," Takeru snapped.

"Why you--" Daisuke almost cornered on Takeru when Ken grabbed his arm and Hikari pushed Takeru on further.

"Let's keep moving," Ken said. "Besides, they were only speaking about magical creatures and since they are magical creatures, it really doesn't concern you."

"But I own a pet dragon," Ken muttered. "Raised him since he hatched so I do know about magical creatures."

"Good for you," Ken said. "You can tell us about that later."

"Where do you think the next destiny stone is?" Taichi asked Koushiro. "Could it be close?"

"The code on the ring of the destiny stone doesn't say where to find the others," Koushiro answered gloomily, as if that was what he had been expecting, "it only tells the power of the destiny stone, the guardian of that stone and how to summon it."

"That's all?" Taichi questioned.

"Yes, mainly," he replied, "but there was also a part of the code that said when you are the ones destined to find them, you will. We were meant to find the destiny stones. It's an ancient prophecy. The code on the ring had to be a hundred years old. So when we come close to a destiny stone, we'll know."

"Is--is that why Gennai chose us?" Iori asked, "Does he know?"

"I wouldn't doubt it," Koushiro said, "I saw the symbols of our crests on the ring. We really were destined to find the stones. Gennai was telling us the truth. But I think there is something more he isn't telling us."

"Maybe he'll tell us when we return," Jyou said. "He doesn't want to give us so much information at once. He wants to make sure we can handle it."

"Of course we can handle it," Sora muttered defiantly, "if we were destined to find the stones then we can handle anything else. That's what Gennai was training us for."

"I wish Gennai gave us horses to ride," Mimi complained, "how far must we venture to find these things?"

"Oh, Mimi, I'm sure it will be worth the walking when we find them all," Miyako said. "Remember how we stopped those trolls? Mother and Father will be so proud of us! We used to live pampered in our castle and now we are enchantresses."

"I liked how you handled them back there, Miyako," Koushiro said. "Well done. I'm very impressed."

"Thank you, Koushiro. That means--well--I--"

There was a loud roar coming from above. They saw a scaly tail in the air.

"It's a dragon!" Mimi screamed.

"No, wait," Daisuke said, "look at its legs and its head. I've never slain a dragon with a lion's head before!"

"It's a chimera!" Hikari yelled.

"Bless you," Taichi said, as if she had just sneezed.

"No, silly," she snapped, "a chimera is a monster with the body of a dragon, the hind legs of a goat and a head of a lion! And it breathes fire!"

"How do we stop it?" Takeru asked.

"Leave it to me," Daisuke bragged, "I'll just think of it as a dragon with the body parts of other animals!" He began to shout tauntingly to the chimera. "Come and get me!"

"Careful, you fool!" Taichi shouted, "You'll get yourself killed!"

The chimera swooped down to Daisuke and he swung his sword across its lion-like front leg. The chimera snorted a river of fire and Daisuke held his shield in front of him. Gennai was right about the new shield and sword. They were magical. His old shield would become so hot sometimes that he could feel the heat though his shield but not only did this new shield block the flames, it seemed to push the heat away. His new sword was sharper and glinted with a blue light.

"We have destroy it quickly," Taichi said, "we must hurry and find the other stones!"

"Dragons have hard bodies," Hikari warned, "just about nothing can pierce through their hides. You'll have to injure its limbs first!"

"She's right," Koushiro said, "or blind it or something. Blind it, yes…that's it! The eyes are the most sensitive part of any animal!" he pointed his staff and shouted, "MILKY VISION!"

Black sparks shot from his staff and hit the chimera in the eyes. It howled in pain and thwacked Daisuke with its tail as it tried to move.

"I should've have tried to climb on his back," Daisuke muttered, pulling himself up.

Ken tossed his ninja stars into the chimera's lion legs.

There was another howl in the distance. As the others groaned, thinking it was another chimera or dangerous monster, Daisuke recognized it and looked in the direction it was coming from.

"Vee!" he cried, "no, go away! Blast it…he knew I was in trouble!"

The blindness spell Koushiro had cast on the chimera wore off and looked hungrily at the warriors. Vee spewed a blast of fire and smoke from his mouth and nostrils to the chimera and tried to lead it away from Daisuke and the others.

"No, Vee, what are you doing?" Daisuke shouted.

"Aren't you glad it is saving us?" Ken demanded.

"We could've taken care of it fine!" Instead of shouting praise to his dragon, he was shouting just the opposite. "Go, Vee, go back home! Now!"

Vee was not listening to his master. He knew Daisuke was in trouble and was not going to let the chimera eat him.

The two monsters scratched each other and smacked their tails around. The group could run to safety but watched them fight to see if Vee would win. So far, he was, until the chimera opened its mouth and clamped it around Vee's neck to strangle him. Vee howled in pain.

"Vee! No!" Daisuke screamed, "come on, we have to help him!"

Hikari flew to the chimera and pulled out her wand from thin hair. A few pink sparks hit the chimera in the nose and eyes, making it let go of Vee. Then it swatted her like a fly with its tail and she fell down to the ground.

"Hikari!" Taichi screamed. He ran to pick her up to check if she was unharmed.

The chimera breathed in hard and shot another blast of fire at the group but then Jyou stepped forward and held his hand out. A protective sphere went around them and the fire could not get through. Takeru removed his bow from his shoulder and reached into his quiver to take an arrow. He aimed and fired the arrow right behind it's left foreleg, trying to pierce it's heart but even his magical arrows were not enough to pierce through its tough scales. It did however; make it start to go numb in that spot.

"Again, Takeru! Quickly!" Yamato urged and began to play a war song on his mandolin to help the others fight faster, as most bard songs can do.

Vee pushed against the chimera and as Takeru fired another arrow, instead of getting the chimera--he got Vee in the side of his neck.

"Oh no!" he shouted.

"Look what you did!" Daisuke shouted.

"I didn't know he was going to do that!" Takeru yelled, "I didn't mean it!"

"Your dragon is trying to help us," Koushiro said.

"Vee is no match for that thing," Daisuke said, "It's not fully grown yet. He's only five years old!"

Vee smacked the chimera in the face with his tail and the chimera growled and slashed his side with its un-numb arm. He pounced on Vee and slashed him. Vee could not get up.

"No!" Daisuke screamed. "Vee!" He began to charge the two monsters and thrust his sword into the paw of the chimera. "I need to get to its head."

Hikari rubbed her head and got up after being thwacked.

"No, Hikari, don't move," Taichi protested.

"I haaaaave to hellllllp," she moaned back and flew to Daisuke. She grabbed him by his armpits and lifted him up to the chimera and dropped him on the neck of the chimera. "Do you know how to stop it?"

"Just watch," he said and rammed his sword into the monster's neck as far as it could go then again and again. The chimera reared and began to bounce around but Daisuke did not stop. Takeru ran underneath the chimera and fired as many arrows in its belly as he could. Ken went to pull him out of there before the chimera became paralyzed and fell.

"I think you've done it," Ken said, "look. It can't move anymore!"

"This is for my dragon!" Daisuke yelled and stabbed his sword into the chimera's heart.

The chimera let out a long groan and died.

"Stupid chimera," Daisuke muttered. "My dragon, is he?" he hopped off the chimera's back and to Vee. "Oh, no."

Vee lifted his head up pathetically and laid it back down. He had to fight to breath.

"Can't you heal it?" Yamato asked Jyou.

"I've never healed a dragon before," he said truthfully. "But I can try."

"No, Jyou," Daisuke said. "I'll take his pain away myself."

"You know how to heal?" Jyou asked in surprise.

Daisuke hesitated to answer, "in a way." He felt someone lay a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry," Ken whispered sympathetically.

"He saved my life," Daisuke mumbled. "Give me a moment alone with him, will you? Go ahead and look for the next stone. I'll catch up."

"Are you sure, Daisuke?" Taichi asked.

"Yes," he said, "yes I'm sure."

"Well, all right," Taichi said, "we will travel down the mountain to the canyon."

"I sense that is where the next stone is," Koushiro said.

"I'll be there soon," Daisuke said, not turning to look at them.

They left Daisuke alone and trekked down the mountain.

"Hurts, my friend?" Daisuke asked, rubbing Vee's side. "Don't worry," he sniffed, "I'll ease the pain." He pulled off his shield and wiped the chimera's blood off onto the grass. He wrapped both of his hands on the hilt, as if he was afraid he would drop it. He held the tip of it a foot above Vee's side, where his heart was located. He choked on his next phrase, "I will not let you--you s-suffer," he swallowed, "I'm doing this out of courage and friendship. You were more than just my pet, but my friend. I'll miss you, my friend."

Vee moaned as if he could understand.

"The pain ends now," he said, tears starting to form in his eyes, "goodbye, I'll never forget you." He bit his lip, closed his eyes and forced himself to thrust his sword into his one and only friend. As he heard the sword rip through the scales and skin of Vee, he let out a high and loud wail--it was so loud that the group--who were now a mile or so away from him--heard it. Birds and other small animals scattered away by his scream.

It startled Hikari and she looked back as if she could tell what Daisuke did, just by the way he screamed.

***********************

Daisuke caught up with the group eventually after mourning over the loss of his dragon.

"Why'd you do that, Daisuke?" Hikari asked him quietly, so the others could not hear them. Takeru looked at them with a confused look but pretended to listen to what Koushiro was telling the others how close they could be to the next destiny stone.

"Do what?" he muttered.

"We heard you scream," she said. "And I know why. You killed Vee, didn't you?"

"He was suffering," he whispered. "I didn't want him to feel all that pain."

She sighed, "He could've lived."

"I do not wish to talk about it," he muttered. "I did the only thing I could do. He was paralyzed and had too wounds. He's not fully grown yet."

"Must've been hard."

"It was," he admitted. "How would you feel if you knew the only way to stop your best friend's pain was to kill him or her?"

Hikari could not answer him. She knew he was right. There were instances where people had to take others out of their misery in such a way so they wouldn't suffer.

Koushiro's crest began to glow.

"My crest," he said, "we must be near to the destiny stone! It has to be in the heart of the canyon!"

"Can't we stop and rest for a while?" Mimi asked, "it's only a few more hours until sundown!"

"We will when we find the next destiny stone," Taichi said.

"I see it!" Koushiro shouted excitedly, pointing to it. They followed Koushiro to the destiny stone.

"Why doesn't it look the same as the last one?" Miyako asked, "This one looks a bit sharper."

"They're probably all different," Iori theorized.

"Are the markings different too, Koushiro?" Taichi questioned.

"Mostly," Koushiro answered. "I'll summon the guardian now." He began to chant in the ring's code. Just like for the last stone, specks of light glowed, but instead of white, they were yellow, at the top of the stone. There were four paws then the specks of light grew up, forming the legs and then a body, a tail and a head, a full bushy brown mane.

"The guardian," Jyou cried, frightened "it's a lion!"

"Look at how big it is!" Mimi gasped.

"Don't worry it won't hurt us," Hikari said, rubbing the lion's head and it purred lowly. Suddenly, it started sniffing and growling.

"It smells something," Takeru said.

The large lion hopped down from the stone.

"Could it be a band of trolls again?" Iori asked.

Four giant ogres stepped into the clearing, muttering stupidly. "Beat da cat! Baash 'im good!"

"Why you--" Sora grunted, advancing to the ogres.

"No," Koushiro said, "We have to let the guardian protect the stone."

The lion roared and pounced on one of the ogres. One smashed the lion in its shoulder with his club but it didn't phase the giant lion. It roared, pulled its paw back and slashed all the ogres in a single blow. They lied dead in a circle around its feet.

"Big cat," Yamato said, "big strong cat."

The lion growled triumphantly and jumped back onto the stone, curled up in a ball and lay down.

"Big, strong and very lazy cat," Yamato muttered.

"Thank you for stating the obvious, bard," Taichi mumble under his breath.

"I think if were to go back home," Miyako asked Mimi, "father wouldn't let us keep the lion, would he?"

"No, Miyako, I don't think so." She yawned, "I'm getting sleepy."

"All right," Taichi said, "we'll set up camp here."

"With the lion?" Jyou asked.

"Don't worry," Yamato said, "it's not going to eat us in our sleep. But it might get lonely and come lay down at our feet!" He laughed and some of the others sniggered as Jyou moaned and sat down on a log. It was going to be a long night.

Next Chapter: Night and Darkness