Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ What If... ❯ Is This Right? ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Kari was washing dishes when her nine year old daughter Yuri slammed through the door and flew up the stairs.

Her fourteen year old Daisuke came barreling in moments later carrying his seven year brother Iori. "Mom have you seen-"

"Yuri, yes." She said. "What happened? I thought she was she was playing with Karen."

"She was." Dai said trying to get his breath back. "Next thing I know she goes flying past us like a bat outta hell."

"Daisuke." TK said warningly.

"Sorry dad. She took off really fast. I gotta say Iori kept up with me pretty well. He probably would have paced me all the way home if he hadn't tripped and skinned his knees."

"I'll live." Iori replied as his mother gave him a cursory glance.

"I'll tend to the boys, dear." TK said. "I think our daughter may need a woman's perspective on whatever happened over there."

Kari nodded and climbed the stairs to knock on her daughters door. "Yuri?"

"Please go away..." A small voice sobbed from the other side of the door.

Kari let herself in to find her daughter with her face buried in her pillow. "What's wrong my little lily?" She asked rubbing the distraught girl's back.

"I kissed Karen." Yuri mumbled into her pillow.

"What's wrong with that, Yuri? You two have been kissing each other on the nose for as long as you've known each other. "

"I missed her nose."

"I see..." Kari said thoughtfully. While she herself had began to examine her sexuality at about the same age, there were certain... extenuating circumstances. "Did you... enjoy it?" Yuri responded with a combination of a sigh, a moan, and a groan. "Would you believe me if I told you the only difference between a boy and a girl is a single bit of a gene?"

"Really?"

"Honest. It's a little complicated to explain to you now but when you get older you'll learn all about what makes boys and girls different."

"But why am I different?" Yuri moaned. "Why do I feel this way about my best friend?"

"You're father was my best friend too. I had a lot of the same questions when we started growing closer together."

"That's different. Daddy's a guy."

"I'll let you in on a little secret. When I was your age I had a crush on your aunt Sora."

For the first time Yuri looked up. "Are you serious?"

"Very. And the question I asked the most was probably the same one on your mind now...

What if 02: Is This Right?
By Archangel Bloodraven

You ever have one of those things that you obsess about until you drive yourself mad?

I do.

I, Kamiya Hikari, everyone's golden girl, have a major problem.

I'm in love.

I'm getting ahead of myself. I guess the problem is my best friend TK. We've been friends for as long as I can remember. At first I was jealous that we didn't get to go to the digital world together, but when I found out that I was the Eighth Child and we were back together again, it was great. We've been through so much together...

I know what you're thinking. It's only natural to fall in love with your best friend. It happens all the time. You should be happy. Well there's one little detail I neglected to mention.

TK is short for Takara.

My best friend is a girl.

I'm in love with a girl.

It's easy to say it to myself or a stranger like you, but I can't seem to say it to her. I was so confused at one point I asked my brother Taichi. His reaction was... interesting.

***

"Taichi, do you think it's all right for me to be in love?"

Taichi was silent for a moment sipping on a soda. "Yes, Hikari. I think you're old enough now to understand what you're feeling and act on it. Who are you in love with?" He asked taking a long swig from the soda in his hand.

"I- I think I'm in love with TK." I whispered almost too softly to hear.

Taichi heard me though. He gagged on his soda and spewed most of it out before ushering me into the room we shared and closing the door. "Christ Hikari." He whispered.

"You think I'm sick don't you? Your imoto is a-"

"Keep your voice down!" He hissed sitting beside me on the bed. "Look, I'm happy for you. You two are perfect for each other, but mom and dad aren't exactly open minded about things like this."

"How bad is it?"

"They threatened to turn us out in the street if they ever found we were... that way."

"But I need to talk to someone."

"Have you talked to TK yet?" Taichi said this like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Oh gosh no. I can't talk to her alone." I didn't even want to think about what would happen then.

"Okay, then leave it to me." He said. Before I could argue he grabbed the phone and stared dialing. "Moshi, moshi. It's me silly. That'll have to wait. Can you get the gang together and meet at your place. It's about TK and Hikari so make sure she's there. All right, see you soon. Yeah right back at ya." He hung up and turned to me. "Get your shoes. We're going out."

Twenty minutes later I was sitting with the other digidestined at Yamato's house.

"What's up Taichi-chan?" Yamato asked.

I shook my head. I must have heard him wrong. He did not just say Taichi-chan. That would mean...

Taichi cleared his throat loudly and stared at me.

"Um TK? We've been friends for a long time, but lately I've-" I paused as the room started to spin. I felt faint and nauseous but continued on. "I've found that I started to feel differently about you." I swayed uncertainly on my feet as my pulse thundered in my ears and the room began to fade in and out.

"I think I'm in love with you." I mumbled as the darkness swallowed me.

***

"Hikari? You okay?" TK's voice drifted to me, slowly bringing me back to reality.

"I think so." I said slowly opening my eyes.

"She lives!" Jyou cackled maniacally. "I can be a doctor!"

Koushiro was chuckling softly. "Jyou, Jyou, Jyou... I don't know whether I should kiss you or kill you."

Kiss him! I know I'm hearing things!

"That's good." TK said patting my hand. "You had me worried for a minute there."

"When I told you I loved you?" I asked turning away.

"No, when you fainted." She said taking my face in her hands. "I'm glad you said that, though." She said brushing a bang out of her eyes. "Lately I've... er that is... I was ... Hikari would you do me the honor of being my date to the prom?" She blurted out.

I blinked in surprise. "Well Daisuke had asked me, but he's be too much like Taichi. I had to turn him down, but I'd love to go with you."

"Oh thank you Hikari. That gives us a month to get ready."

"I dunno." Mimi said. "I'm not sure I can turn a couple of tomboys into the image of femininity in just a month. I mean there's hair, make up, dress fittings-"

"Or undress fittings." Sora murmured with a wicked grin.

"Sora!" Mimi said turning beet red. "But Mimi you've got the cutest little strawberry shaped mole right on your- mmph!"

Sora was cut off as Mimi clamped her hand over her mouth. "Can it, Sora-chan. Unless of course you want them to know about..." She trailed off and whispered in Sora's ear.

Sora paled. "You wouldn't!"

"Wanna bet?"

"I think now would be a good time to tell them." Jyou said suggestively. The others nodded in agreement.

"Tell us what?" TK asked helping me to a sitting position.

"And I thought they were such bright kids." Jyou said.

"Well they have been occupied." Yamato said.

"And we weren't exactly obvious, were we?" Koushiro said.

"Are you going to tell us or do be have to guess?"

"Why do you think I called everyone together?" Taichi asked. "We could have just resolved this between us four."

"Yeah then we could have some quality time." Yamato said wickedly.

"Baka hentai." Taichi said ruffling Yamato's hair.

"Yes, but I'm your baka hentai." He said smiling.

"I don't get it." I said feeling more than a little idiotic right then.

Mimi sighed and said, "Here's a hint!" Then she grabbed Sora by the back of the head and kissed her! My jaw dropped when I realized Sora was in no great rush to break loose. In fact she was unbuttoning Mimi's blouse!

"All right you two!" Jyou said. "If you're gonna do that go to the bedroom. You're giving this guy ideas."

"Oh trust me, Jyou." Koushiro said wrestling the older boy to the floor before kissing him gently. "I don't need any more inspiration than you."

"This is a gag right?" TK said getting to her feet.

"Yeah, that's it." I laughed nervously, not wanting to believe it even though all the pieces were falling into place. "This is all a joke set up by Taichi and Yamato. Right?"

Sora pushed Mimi away and grabbed me by shirt before pulling me into a kiss. I was too stunned to pull away and to tell the truth I didn't really want to. "Wrong." She breathed in my ear as she pushed me away.

"As you've probably figured out, we're in love-"

"Or lust." Jyou interjected as Koushiro ran his fingers through his hair.

"With each other." Yamato continued. "Taichi and I, Jyou and Koushiro, the girls. I figure if you two weren't so obsessed with eyouch!"

Yamato began hopping around as a well-placed kick to shin silenced him. "Whoever or whatever I obsess about is no ones concern but my own." TK said coolly.

"We better get going Jyou. There's much to do and only a month to do it in." Koushiro said.

"Dust off your tux Yama-chan." Taichi said. "We're taking our kid sisters to the prom."

"You're all coming with us?" TK said with more than a hint of fear.

"Well, yes." Jyou said. "For three reasons."

"First, we're like a large extended family." Koushiro said.

"Second, this is probably gonna be the one of the happiest moments of your life, and if you can't share that with your friends who can you share it with?" Sora said.

"And third, because this is probably when you'll be most vulnerable, physically, mentally, and emotionally. We'll be there to watch your back." Yamato said. "And I promise, we'll do our very best not to embarrass you guys."

"Well, we should be going." Taichi said. "It's almost dinnertime. We'll talk later." He said gently kissing Yamato.

"Go on." TK said brushing a bang out of my eyes. "I'll call."

And so we drifted apart for the day. I found myself walking home with Taichi and Sora. I was thoughtful for most of the trip, then I did something very unlike me.

I sat down on a bench and started to cry.

Loudly.

Taichi and Sora hurried over and got me to calm down. A little. "What's wrong Hikari?" He asked.

"How could she, onii-chan? How could she just leave me hanging like this?" I whispered tears streaming down my cheeks. "I made myself sick to tell her how I feel and didn't even get so much as a 'Me too' in return."

"I dunno imoto." Taichi said pulling me into a warm embrace. "The heart is a funny thing. When I told Yama-chan how I felt, he socked me in the jaw and bolted. And look at us now."

"You put a name to something TK's been feeling for who knows how long, and that may have scared her a little." Sora said. "When Mimi told me how she felt I was... oh I felt joy, pain, fear, and a thousand other emotions. I spent a lot of time crying before I admitted to her- and to myself- how I felt. TK probably asked you to the prom to buy herself a little more time." The older girl gently dried my eyes. "When TK understands how she feels and she tells you, you'll know she means it. It won't come from here," She said tapping her temple. "but from here." She whispered placing a hand over my heart.

***

So that brings to tonight. Ten minutes to seven. Ten minutes until TK comes and I find out if my dreams come true, or if they're dashed like fragile crystal.

"How do I look Gatomon?" I asked for what felt like the hundredth time.

"Same as you did the last seven times you asked me." The feline purred. "Absolutely beautiful."

"I need a drink." I said reaching for the can of soda next to the mirror.

"No you don't." She said grabbing the can in her front paws and bounded to the balcony. "You're jittery enough as it is. Come here." I pulled on my gloves and moved to where she sat at the balcony's edge, my silver dress rustling as I traversed the room. "I don't pretend to understand what you and TK share, but it's obvious you care for each other and it obviously means a great deal to you." She paused a moment and pulled off her tail charm. "I want you to wear this tonight."

"Oh Gatomon, I couldn't."

"I insist." She said slipping the gold band onto my finger. "It's always brought me good luck- It brought us together after all- and I hope tonight it will do the same for you."

"I don't know what to say."

"Then don't say anything." She said patting my hand. "I unbderstand."

We stood there together in the cooling spring night air for a long time before a knock preceded Taichi's entrance. "Ready?" He asked smoothing his hands over his white tuxedo.

I pulled my gray silk wrap about my shoulders and nodded. Taichi picked up a bobby pin and pinned my bangs off to the side. "Thanks onii-chan." I murmured.

"Hey, we want TK to look into those beautiful red eyes of yours." He said pressing another bobby pin into my hand. "You might want to fix TK's hair too." He said before leading me out into the living room.

"Heaven is missing an angel." My father joked.

"Nah. I'm out on a weekend pass." I said teasingly as a new confidence filled me. No matter what happened tonight, I was sure it would be a night I'd never forget.

"Taichi this is wonderful, you taking your sister to the prom." Mother said.

"Hey, I'm not letting my Hika-chan go to her prom solo."

Hika-chan? I mouthed.

Don't tell Yamato. He replied.

"But what about your friend Sora?"

I sighed and covered a roll of my eyes by pretending to adjust my hair. Why do parents have to turn everything into a wartime interrogation?

"She's going with Yamato." Taichi said smoothing his tux again. As if summoned by the mention of his name, Yamato knocked on the door. "Why gee golly willikers, who could that be?" Taichi asked opening the door.

"No more American sitcoms for you, Taichi." Father said.

"Yeah Taichi. This is Odaiba, not Green Acres. Good evening sir, and ma'am." Yamato said. "I'm Ishida Yamato, and this is my sister, Takashi Takara." He bowed slightly to each of my parents before he stepped aside to reveal TK.

When I saw her in that blue satin dress it took my breath away. Literally. It took a gentle nudge from Taichi to remind me to inhale. "TK's date backed off at the last minute," Yamato was saying. "so I had Koushiro pick up Sora. We'll straighten everything out when we get there."

"So how do I look?" TK asked pirouetting for us… no, just for me. Even if it wasn't true I could have my dreams.

"Great." I said cheerfully. "Except for the fact that no one can see those pretty blue eyes of yours with those bangs in the way." I brushed them out of her face and deftly pinned them in place while I savored her scent. Cherries.

"Well, we'd better get going." Yamato declared ushering us out the door.

"Don't do anything we wouldn't!" Mom called.

"Of course we will." I laughed. "Don't wait up."

***

The prom was lovely, or at least what I could remember of it. I spent most of it staring at TK. "

Well if it isn't the straight couple." Taichi joked as Daisuke and Miyako met us at the door, "but where's Iori?"

"Over there." Miyako said nodding towards the shadows. "And watch who you're calling straight."

"Miya chan," Sora admonished breezing into the room. "Play nice."

"I am being nice, aren't I Mimi chan?" She asked sweetly draping her arms around the older girl.

"As nice as you ever are." She replied gently kissing the new 'destined of Sincerity and Love.

The purple haired girl savored it for a moment before breaking off. "Poor Dai chan," She said. "All straight and no one to love."

"Hey don't worry about me. TK, Hikari... I've kinda had a crush on both of you for the longest time. I hoped I'd end up with one of you, but more than anything I want you to be happy. If anything happens tonight, I've got your backs."

"Thanks Daisuke." TK said.

"You're the greatest." I said as we both gave him a kiss. He got a vacant kind of look and then fainted dead away. The group erupted in a wave of laughter as Jyou bent to revive the boy.

"Wait. Where's Iori?" TK asked scanning the floor.

"In the corner with a most unusual romantic companion. See for yourselves." Puzzled we wove sedately through the crowd until we reached the back table.

The pair we saw left us both shocked and breathless. "Hikari. Takara. It's been too long my worthy adversaries." The cool voice murmured from the shadows.

My knees felt weak as I grabbed the back of the chair to keep from crumbling to the floor. Of course TK attempting to steady me didn't help any either. Fortunately she was little better off and after pulling out a chair for me, she slumped down in one herself. She's so graceful and... snap out of it Hikari. "Iori you have interesting taste, to say the least." She said running a hand through her hair.

Such a sweet voice... No mustn't think of that. "How long has it been Ken?"

"No shop talk. I put up the control spires and you knocked them down. Perhaps it was all for the best. It's all in the past now."

"You tried to conquer the digital world." I reminded him gently. I didn't hate him for what he did because TK and I had grown even closer because of it.

"True but the only thing I want to conquer now is Iori's heart."

"Flattery will get you nowhere, ai. You already have what you want. I love you always."

I sighed hoping one day that I could be that totally at ease with someone. No not someone, my TK. I was about to say something when the music slowed and the couples drifted out onto the floor. In a moment of impulse I grabbed TK and lead her onto the floor.

"You smell like cherries." I whispered pulling her close to me as we swayed with the gentle music.

"You smell like vanilla." She replied. "I like it."

"Get off the floor you dykes!" A voice yelled.

I cringed and caught TK's frown. "Shhh." She whispered. "They're just jealous bakas." She soothed stroking my back. Funny how she could always make me feel better, no matter what happened.

"Maybe you two queers want some punch!" Someone shouted. Before I knew what was happening TK and I were soaked to the skin. Those yaros upended the punch bowl on us.

It was the final insult and not even TK's presence could calm me. I turned and bolted into the giant ornamental garden ignoring the shouts of the others from behind me. I didn't stop until I tripped and tumbled to my knees. Seconds later she's there. My angel, my hope, by my side cradling me in her arms comforting me even as she curses those who cause me this pain. "Hikari, look at me."

She whispers. I do, and even though her dress and hair are ruined, and syrupy punch still runs down her face, in the moonlight she is and will always be the most beautiful person in my world.

And then it happened.

To this day I'm still not exactly sure what happened, but one moment I'm looking into her deep blue eyes and the next our lips softly press together in our first kiss.

"Oh gosh, Hikari I didn't-" She began before I cut her off with a gentle kiss of my own . We stayed like that for what felt like an eternity, but even if it was it was nowhere near enough.

"So..." TK said as we broke apart and the moment suddenly became awkward.

"Well..." I said suddenly uncertain. "Does this.... change anything?"

"It doesn't have to." Mimi said as she and Sora flowed smoothly out of the darkness. "You know what you feel Takara. Just say it."

"You already mean it," Sora said crouching besides the younger girl and laying a hand on her heart. "so say it, from here."

She stared at me a moment with fear in her sapphire eyes, then she closed her eyes and embraced me. "I love you Hikari-chan. You are my light."

"And I love you, Takara. You are my jewel and my heart's treasure." I whisper. The moment is perfect and I want it to last forever, but all good things must come to an end.

"Ladies." Iori said in his usual muted voice as he and Ken slipped fluidly out of the shadows. "We have to go."

"What happened?" Mimi asked worriedly as Sora took her hand in a comforting gesture.

"Well, right after Hikari ran..."

***

"I know you." One of the boys who had dumped the punch bowl sneered. "You're those digidestined kids."

"Yeah." Yamato said firmly restraining Taichi. "What's it to you?"

"You're all a bunch of pansy queers!" The other boy with a large overbite exclaimed.

Iori moved to get up but was restrained by Ken's hand on his shoulder and gentle shake of his head. "No trouble, ai." He whispered.

"They started it." He hissed under his breath as he returned to his seat.

"I think you may want to rethink that statement." Koushiro said as Jyou held his shoulders in a white knuckle grip.

"What are you gonna do? Sic your boyfriend on us?" Punch Bowl asked.

"Or maybe one of the little girls would like to see what a real man can do." Buck teeth taunted making a lewd gesture as Mimi practically leaped out of Sora's grip to get to the perverted little bastard and straighten his teeth the American back alley way, but Sora kept her in a firm grip.

"Let me at him!" She hissed her pink hair flying as she struggled to break free. "I'll rip his nuts off and ram them down his throat and out his ass!" She snarled as Takara moved to follow Hikari.

"That's right, go after your girlfriend you homo! You know why she ran? Because she's a bitch and a slut!" Punch bowl yelled. That was all the farther he got before Daisuke slammed him into the wall and began pummeling him. Buck teeth moved to help but Miyako brought him up short by cracking a wooden chair over his head and kicking him while he was down.

***

"Everything went downhill from there." Ken said.

"They want us to leave or they're going to call the police." Iori said quietly.

"But-" I said helplessly as my eyes filled with tears.

"We're not going to let this spoil the night right guys?" TK said resolutely.

"Of course not Takara. You just gained your hearts desire and we're not gonna let some ignorant close minded baka yaros spoil that for you." Iori said. "We're going to take this party somewhere more appropriate."

"Where?" I asked as TK dried my eyes.

"Our home away from home." Ken said smiling.

***

Twenty minutes later Takara and I sat barefoot by a babbling brook in the digital world.

Koushiro, Iori, Ken and Miyako had managed to get soft music to play on the night breeze but more importantly, our dresses were clean and dry again.

"I'm not sure how I'll explain this to my parents." I said. "They're not exactly open minded about this."

"If they throw you and Taichi out, I'm sure you can move in with me. My mom knows how I feel about you and she's been hounding me to say something."

"I bet she'll be happy." I said as a new breeze blew in and wrapped itself around us as I gently pulled Takara to her feet and held her close.

You ask me if I love you,
Something I should know by now.
But I don't look at love
As something to play with.
When I give my heart, I give it all.
But it's been a while since I felt these old feelings.
You're tearing down walls I've built around my heart.
So I'll have to ask if you're sure that your ready
Before I let the rest of me fall.

Will you be here when I need a shoulder?
Hold on to my hand when I need you most?
Promise your love, always and forever?
Something has got to be clear:
Will you be here?

When the night gets cold
And the chill gets colder
Will your love stay pure
And love without doubt?
Will you look at me
When I get older
The same way
You look at me now?

Will you be here when I need a shoulder?
Hold on to my hand when I need you most?
Promise your love, always and forever?
Something has got to be clear:
Will you be here?

Promise your love...
Always and forever?

Will you be here when I need a shoulder?
Hold on to my hand when I need you most?
Promise your love, always and forever?
Something has got to be clear:
Will you be here?

Something has got to be clear:
Will you be here?

Suddenly I was filled with an overwhelming fear. Would Takara always be there for me no matter what?

"Promise your love?" She whispered in my ear.

"Always." I replied. "And forever."

"Me too." She whispered kissing my hand. "What's this?"

I looked down in surprise. "Oh. Gatomon loaned me her tail charm. She thought that since it had brought her good fortune, it would do the same for me. And in a way, it did." I said laughing.

"How so?"

"It brought me my greatest treasure. It brought me you." I said as we continued to sway to music only our hearts could hear. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Thanks mom." Yuri sniffled slightly as a light knock came.

"Yuri? It's Karen... Can I come in?"

"Yes, Karen." The other girl slipped inside and shut the door behind her before crossing to Yuri's bedside.

"You stole something from me today." She said gently.

"You mean the kiss? Karen..."

"The kiss was a gift. You stole something much more valuable." Before either mother or daughter could say anything Karen leaned close and kissed Yuri, a kiss full of tenderness and caring. "You stole my heart Yuri chan, and I'd like to know what we're gonna do about it."

"Well, "Yuri said sitting up as Karen gently ran her hands over her tear tracks. "I guess we're a little young to decide who we can and can't love, so why don't we just take it one day at a time, hai?"

"Hai. I'm sorry I made you cry." She said softly. "Kamiya san." She straightened to address Kari now. "I apologize for all distress I caused my dear Lily chan, and now ask your permission to court her."

Kari bowed formally at the waist as Karen emulated her. "My consent is given. Do not break my Lily's heart."

"I'd sooner die." Karen said, catching Yuri's hand.

A new day had begun.