Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction / Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Such a Simple Descision ❯ A Meeting in the forest ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Dragon ball Z, Akira (spelled right?) Toriyama does, along with several other people. Please don't sue.




Chapter 1: The Hunt



"But papa, why do we have to come all the way out here to train?" Whined a small, lavender hair, eight-year-old boy.

"Shut up, brat." Snapped a short, stocky man with black hair that came up to a point. The two were flying over a grassy plain. "The woman wanted us to spend some 'quality' time together, and since the gravity room blew up, I'm taking you out to train. Besides, she'll kill me if we tear up the lawn." The young boy nodded to his parent as they continued to fly.

"Where are we going, papa?" the boy asked.

Growling and sighing in frustration, the man pointed to a forest up ahead of them. "There is a clearing beyond that is completely uninhabited." He explained. His tone was that of one who hated to explain themselves but does so any ways. "We are going to train there. Now SHUT UP or I'll blast your head off."

Trunks kept quiet for the rest of the flight. He knew better than getting Vejita angry. He, also, knew how serious his father gets when it comes to training and fighting. Soon the two landed on the outskirts of a large forest.

"Okay, brat, listen up!" Vejita ordered. "I want you to hunt me in this forest. Do whatever it takes to find me and hit me." Vejita started to turn to leave. Talking over his shoulder, he added, "By the way, I'll be hunting you at the same time. The one who is hit first has to stay the night in the forest before returning home."

"What?!" Trunks protested. "If you do it like that, you'll definitely win."
Vejita started to smirk at his son as he held up his right hand. "To be such a good sport and to give you a slim chance, I'll give you to the count of five to get a head start. One." Trunks ran into the woods, leaping from limb to limb. All the while he was planning on the best way to get his father first and keeping his ki low.

"Two." Vejita watched his son disappear into the trees. A small victorious smirk soon graced his face.

"Three."

"Four."

"Five. Ready or not prepare to lose!" Vejita called out as he took off into the forest trailing his son like a predator stalking its prey. Trunks watched Vejita pass by his hiding spot. As quietly as he could, Trunks slipped out and started to trail his father from the ground. He was watching his footing very carefully to make sure that he didn't make a sound to alert his father. While he was scanning the ground for places to put his feet, Trunks noticed there was a snare on an obvious rabbit trail. Momentarily overwhelmed by his curiosity and confusion, he stopped trailing his father and examined the snare closer.

Vejita made a whole circuit of the woods before he came across his son looking at something on the ground. 'Stupid brat.' he thought angrily. 'He forgot what was important.' Noting the confused expression on Trunk's face, Vejita went closer to see what made his son forget about the training.

'I thought Papa said that this place was completely uninhabited,' puzzled Trunks. Shrugging to himself, he looked up and noticed for the first time that Vejita was gone from his sight. 'Dang it, I lost him. Best get a move on before he finds me.' Trunks quickly blurs to a spot hidden from most views. He concentrated briefly searching for his father's ki and was surprised to find it so close to his last position. 'Damn. I got side tracked too long and he almost got me. I need to get him before he can get to me.' Trunks silently crept up on Vejita hoping to catch him off guard. As he was about to attack him, Vejita blurred out of the way appearing behind Trunks. Drawing back a fist, Vejita punched Trunks in the back of the head. Trunks fell down to the ground, unconscious, his hand reflexively going to the sore spot on his head.

"Got 'cha brat." Vejita said smirking at the form of his son. "I hope you like your stay in the forest tonight." At this Vejita blasted off and headed back to the Capsule Corp.

***

As I was looking out the door, I heard a tiny moan rise from my bed. Picking up the mug of tea that was beside my foot, I turned around and watched the small boy that I picked up earlier. I saw his facial expression shift from confused to angry back to confused as he took in his surroundings.

Smiling to myself, I said, "I see that you decide to wake up and walk among the living." The boy's head whipped around, and looked me over. I noticed that his gaze stopped on my left hand. Not to let look too long, I walked over and handed him the mug.

"Here drink this," I said. "It'll taste a little bitter but it will help with the headache you got."

The boy took the mug from my hand. I couldn't help but snicker to myself when his nose crinkled at the awful smell that came from the contents. I suppose willow bark tea does smell kind of harsh. I watched as the boy held his nose and drank the whole thing in one gulp. He handed me back the mug with a mumbled "Thanks." He was mumbling because he was gagging on the taste.

Again chuckling to myself, I placed the mug in the dry sink so that I could wash it later. I noted the time by the light filtering through the wax paper on the windows and a small rumbling from my erstwhile guest. Turning around and heading towards the storage room, I told the boy to stay in bed while I made supper.

I dug through my supplies and decided upon a simple stew. Grabbing a large package of dried meat and a basket filled with various vegetables, I headed back out towards the wood burning stove in the corner. Pulling a well-worn, black pot from a nail hanging above me, I filled it up half way with water. I shredded the meat into the pot and placed it on top of the stove. I worked quickly at slicing up the vegetables and adding them to the pot. I placed the knife in the dry sink and turned my attention to the fire. I felt the heat coming from it and had to stop myself before I became engrossed in the pattern that the flames danced. I chucked a few more logs in and arranged them so that they will last until the morning. I closed the door and glanced over at the boy.

'I can't call him that all the time,' I thought. I grabbed a nearby chair, pulled it over by the bed and sat down facing the boy.

"Supper should be ready in about a half-hour or so." I started out. "I should tell you that I like to know the names of the people eating with me, so some introductions are in order." I watched him as I said this. He looked a little hesitant, so I decided to introduce myself first.

"My name is Megan, and I've been living in these woods for the past two to three years. Most people I know call me Meg or Mika."

"Mika?" the boy asked.

"A name an old friend of mine called me by," I explained with a smile. I reached over and ruffled the kid's hair. "So what is your name?"

"Trunks."

"Trunks?" I echoed questioningly.

"Yeah...It is a tradition from my mom's side of the family." The boy explained sheepishly.

"And your father's side?"

"If my dad had his way, I would have been named Vejita or after a vegetable."

I laughed at this while I stood up to check on supper. Stirring the pot a few times, I added a few herbs that were hanging close by. "A few more minutes and it should be done."

"Megan?"

"Yeah, Trunks?"

"Why are you living out here by yourself?"

I closed my eyes briefly wondering if I should tell him the real reason or just part of it. Turning to look at my little guest I decided to tell him part. "I live out here because I wish to be out in nature and I live by myself because I don't have any reason to be anywhere else."

"Oh," he said, "Your parents are dead?"

Again I close my eyes, but this time in pain and the little grief I allowed my self to feel. "Yeah, both died in a car accident."

"I'm sorry for bringing it up since it still grieves you."

I gave him a small smile. "You have no reason to be sorry Trunks. You didn't know and you weren't the cause."

I gently sniffed the air and checked the stew once again, "Supper's ready."

I noticed Trunks start to get up but I gently pushed him back down in bed. "You, little one, still need to rest. So you are staying in bed."

I grabbed two bowls and served us both. Supper went by pretty fast. The only thing that I really noticed was that Trunks ate about 3 times as much as me. When we were both done I took the bowls and cleaned them up along with what little remains of supper. By the time that I was done Trunks was fast asleep.

I grabbed a few extra furs from the storage room and set them down by the bed. I couldn't get to sleep just yet. Something inside of me told me that an event would happen soon. That my life will change yet again for what seems to be the umpteenth amount of times. The only thing I hope as I started to fall asleep is that this time things will be different.


***
Please read and review. Thanks.