Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction / XXXHolic Fan Fiction ❯ Of little girls, spirits, and tails? ❯ Saru no O ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Saru no O

He stared down at the child in the soft pink blanket, not sure what he was supposed to do with it. He certainly couldn't cook dinner with the baby in his arms, but of course, Yuuko would know that. Right?

A scent, putrid and disgusting drifted up to his nose, and he was suddenly well aware of the reason the baby had been left with him. "Figures," He grumbled, looking around the kitchen, not knowing what to do.

Trying to cradle the now sniffling baby, while trying to hold her away from his body, he left the kitchen and found Yuuko, Mokona, and Maru and Moro on the engawa, looking out at the yard. Laying beside Yuuko, Mugetsu lifted his head to look at Watanuki, but one sniff, and he lowered it.

Watanuki tried to give the baby back to Yuuko, but she told him to take her to the 'nursery', and when he responded that they didn't have a nursery, Moro and Maru stood up, and led him back into the house. Dancing and singing, and twirling the whole way, they took him back to where the bedrooms were, and giggled when they opened one of the many doors.

Inside, was a fully equipped, and completely stocked, nursery. The furniture was all made of some strange shiny black wood, and everything else was done up in pale green and blue, with darker butterflies painted or embroidered. By the colors, it seemed like she'd expected a boy, but the butterflies suggested a girl.

He crossed the room, and carefully laid the whimpering and sniffling bundle down on top of the changing table. Keeping a close eye on the baby, he got out the things he thought he'd need. A clothe diaper- as there were no disposable ones - with a butterfly pin, power, and wipes. Carefully, he started to unfold the pink blanket, and tried his best to ignore both Maru and Moro.

The nearly identical looking girls stood behind him a bit, watching his movements with silent fascination. It was almost unnerving, this silence from them, as they were generally so loud.

He had just pulled back the last fold of pink fabric, when something brown and furry wrapped around his wrist. Startled, he let out a shriek, and tried to pull away from the thing. The baby let out a wail, and he tried to pull the brown thing from his wrist, only to have the thing tighten it's grip, and the baby's wail turn into a glass-shattering scream.

Watanuki wanted to cover his ears, but found himself unable to do so, though he spotted Maru and Moro doing so behind him.

A few moments past, and Yuuko entered the room, Mokona on her shoulder. She crossed the room in three strides, and cooed softly at the screaming child, while gently peeling the strange brown thing from Watanuki's arm. Once he was free, she smoothed out the things fur, and smiled when it wrapped around her own wrist.

The baby whimpered, and sniffled, tears falling down her pink face.

Yuuko began the process of changing the baby's diaper, a sight that Watanuki had never in his wildest dreams managed to come up with. "You must be very careful with the baby's tail," She told him, "It's extremely sensitive."

He blinked at her, her words barely registering in his mind. Tail? Baby's tail? That was ridiculous, he thought, babies don't have tails... right? "TAIL?" He shrieked, startling the baby, "Why does she have a TAIL?!"

The baby whimpered, and Yuuko cooed, and poked her nose, causing the baby to stop. "She was born with it, of course." She told him as though it were the most obvious thing in the world.

Watanuki peered around her, when she'd finished wiping the baby down, and had folded up the soiled diaper. As she lifted the child, to place the new clothe one under the baby, he could see that the tail really was attached. It was a strange sight, and one he was sure he would not see outside of Yuuko's shop.

"So, she is a spirit?" He asked warily.

Yuuko pinned the diaper, and then smiled, she looked at him with that sly look that always made him fear whatever was to come. "How's dinner coming?"

His eyes got wide, as the food he'd left in the kitchen popped into his mind. He'd forgotten it completely while dealing with the baby! "Oh no!" he took off at top speed, leaving the nursery and hurrying back to his place in the kitchen.

Yuuko stared at the door for a few minutes, a smile still on her face. Maru and Moro had left, following Watanuki, with Mokona hot on their heels. She looked down at the baby, "A spirit, he wonders." She hummed a soft melody, and the baby looked up at her with bright eyes.