Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Of Dragonballs and Duel Monsters ❯ Virtual Shootout ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Of Dragonballs and Duel Monsters
Chapter: 3/?
Author: Murasaki Rose
Beta: none
Genre: Action/Adventure/Alternate Universe/Comedy/Crossover/Drama/Fantasy/Supernatural
Rating: PG-13
Spoilers: Duelist Kingdom
Warnings: Some shonen-ai, swearing, and violence.
Pairings: Minor YxYYxA, YBxR, Jou x Mai, other pairings later.
Disclaimer:  Here we go. Yu-Gi-Oh and all it's characters are the property of Kazuki Takahashi, Shueisha, Konami, Toei, and unfortunately, 4 Kids Entertainment. Dragonball, Dragonball Z, and Dragonball GT are all the property of Akira Toriyama, Bird Studio, Toei Animation, and Funimation Inc.  In other words, I don't own any of them and I'm not making any money off of this, I'm just a fangirl having some fun.  However, Jianu, her family, and all other OCs in this story are mine.  If you'd like to borrow them, please ask me first and give proper credit.
AN: "text" = speech, 'text' = thought, ((text)) = telepathy, /text/ = hikari to yami mindlink, (/text/) = yami to hikari mindlink, #text# = English

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
Chapter 3 - Virtual Shootout

Opening theme:  Higher and Higher

x-x-x-x

A little over a week later, things had settled down and Jianu and her friends seemed to have settled in nicely with the Domino students.

"You guys ever play Battledark (1)?" Jianu suddenly asked the gang from her perch on top of her desk.  The tall girl had been waiting all day to ask about this, having made a grand discovery the day before while out walking with Yugi.

Not far from the teens' favorite arcade a new business had opened up with one of the best multi-player LAN setups ever.   Not only did they have rooms you could use to host LAN parties, but they also had a few special rooms with PCs already set up for play!

"What's that?" Honda asked curiously.

"Battledark is a 1st person-perspective shooting game that people play online," Yugi explained.  "It's a lot of fun."

Jianu nodded, "Uhn, you go around taking out targets or infiltrating enemy territory using the provided weapons and other supplies. You can either play by yourself against multiple opponents, or you can play team matches.  And since you're playing online, you're not limited to the games AI, you can actually go head-to-head against players from around the world or just across the room!"

"Sounds kinda barbaric," Anzu commented.  "That's right up your alley, Jonouchi," the brunette girl teased.

"Oi!" the incensed blond protested.

"It's not as bad as it sounds, Anzu.  You can't just go around blasting everyone mindlessly and expect to win.  The best players combine strategy and stealth to come out on top and it's even harder with a team, `cause you've gotta watch out for your teammates too."

"I don't know ..."

"C'mon, you'll love it! It's a blast!" Jianu cajoled the other girl, sensing her weakening resolve.

The brunette girl still seemed reluctant, but any protests she had were stalled by Jonouchi's excited exclamation.

"Does that mean you're gonna show us how to play?!"

The tri-color haired girl smirked, "Even better. Yugi and I found a great place nearby that has whole rooms devoted to online multi-player games.  We can get a room there and all play together!"

"All right!"
"Gomen, minna.  I won't be able to come.  My dad's coming home today," Hanasaki apologized.  He really wanted to go, but his dad was gone so much . . !

Jianu smiled gently at the disappointed looking teen, "Ah, don't worry about it.  You can always join us next time!"

His expression visibly brightening, Hanasaki nodded emphatically, "That sounds great!"

Turning now to face the quiet teen packing his briefcase behind them, Jianu grinned brightly, "Care to join us, Kaiba-kun?"

Surprised by the invitation, the stoic teen remained silent for a moment before stating sharply, "Some of us have to work, Kreiger."

Ignoring the rudeness of his reply and elbowing Jonouchi to keep him quiet, she shook her head and gave the brunet a small smile, "Maybe next time, ne?"

Already striding towards the door, Kaiba made no reply this time and just barely stopping himself from smirking as the girl shouted out a final, "And it's Jianu!  JI!  A!  NU!  Not Kreiger!"

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

"Okay minna, pick yourself a PC, and power `em up!" Jianu declared as the group piled into their reserved room.  Inside the well air-conditioned room was twelve PC towers, each one equipped with a 17" flat panel monitor and a cushy office chair. There was a rectangular table in the center for placing snacks and a soda/coffee machine in the corner.  Truly a gamer's LAN-party haven (2).

Cheering loudly, Jonouchi pulled out the nearest chair sat down before pushing himself across the room to another PC. Rolling his eyes, Honda pulled the extra chair away and took a seat next to the blond. Yugi sat on Jounouchi's other side, with Jianu on his while Anzu and Ryou took seats next to the tall teen.

After a few minutes of explaining, some bonks to the head for Jou, and several rounds of sweatdrops, the game was on.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

"Too slow, Ryou-kun!"

"Maybe-"

"Ah! I can't believe it! That was sneaky!" Anzu cried in frustration as her character was blown away by the trap Ryou had set.

"Some call it 'sneaky', I call it 'tactics'," the silver-haired teen replied, wagging a finger at her.

"Revenge will be mine," she growled as she waited for her character to re-spawn.

Yugi snickered and shook his head, thoroughly enjoying his friends' antics . . .

"OI! That was a dirty trick!"

"You're just saying that because you didn't think of it first."

"Why you--"

. . . nearly as much as he was enjoying Jonouchi and Honda's 'mini-brawls'.

"Heads up Yugi, or I'll take it off!" Jianu warned, giving Yugi just enough time to dodge a shot to the head.

"Not if I take yours first, Jianu-chan!" the small teen shot back, slipping his character behind a column.

"You can't hide from me!"

"Wasn't tryin' to.  I just needed to switch weapons!"

Jianu pouted, Yugi had blasted her head off with a plasma rifle. "You suck."

Snickering at his pouting cousin, Yugi re-directed his attention to the screen and was surprised to see a phone icon flashing at the top left corner of the screen. "Ano Jianu-chan?  What's that?"

Peering at her own screen, the tall teen grinned. "Some one wants to talk and I'd bet anything that they're challenging us."

"You think?"

"That's the reason 99% of the time," she replied grinning slyly, "Wanna go for it?"

"Sure! If the others are game," Yugi chirruped, spinning around in his chair in excitement.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

This was it.

Slinking around the base of a large (and in his opinion, ugly) statue, Yugi quietly stalked his prey.  They had been playing for well over an hour and were coming down to the final minutes of the game.  Yugi's team only had to take out four more of the enemy and they would win.  The problem?

They only had three people left and Yugi was the only one with ammo.

Thus, their plan:

While Jianu and Honda ran about to distract the remaining enemy team members, Yugi would take them out, sniper-style.  It was the perfect plan.

IF the other two didn't get killed in the process of making asses out of themselves.

A sudden commotion to his left drew the attention of the enemy players giving Yugi the perfect chance to slip into position. Smiling to himself, the small teen picked off two of them before they even realized what had happened.  Whirling around in shock, the team leader took aim at the teen, intending to waste the little sniper.

Knowing that Yugi was the only one who could win the game for them, Jianu charged out and rammed into the leader's side, throwing off his aim, causing him to narrowly miss the other.  Nearby, Honda had had the same idea only he had managed to K.O. his opponent, effectively knocking him out of the game.  Forgetting Yugi for the moment the leader snarled and blasted Jianu then took aim at Honda.

That was his mistake.

Before he could fire, his hulking avatar exploded in a blaze of pixilated glory, leaving Yugi's team victorious.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

"Wahoo!!"

"Man Yugi, that was awesome!" Jonouchi crowed, grabbing his small friend in a headlock and giving him a noogie (3).

"Jonouchi-kun!" Yugi squealed in protest, much to the amusement of the others.   It was amidst their laughter that their opponents entered the room intent on revenge.

"Well, I'm glad you enjoyed your little victory but I'm afraid no one's gonna find out about it."

The unwelcome threat had Yugi-tachi on their feet in seconds, with Jou, Honda, and Jianu moving in front of their friends.

Jianu glared darkly at the group before them, "I recognize these jerks.  They're the top Battledark gamers, but they've got a real bad reputation.  They're constantly being banned and blocked from the servers for excessively poor sportsmanship and improper conduct.  I didn't know they were from Domino."

"Somehow, I'm not surprised," Jonouchi growled, eyes scanning the eight punks intent on hurting them.  None of them looked like your typical gamers, instead they looked like a bunch of common thugs.  Hell, they didn't look like they could even spell "computer" much less use one.

"They'd actually try and beat us up over a game?" Honda asked, clenching his fists in anticipation.

"That's right kid.  Of course, we'd be willing to let the girls go if they serviced us," the lead punk replied, grabbing his crotch and leering at the two girls.

Anzu recoiled in disgust and Jianu looked physically ill for a moment before recovering and flipping the men off.

"Ecchi!" Jianu shrieked, glaring balefully at the men, "Not only are you a bunch of disgusting pigs, but you're pedophiles too?"

"High school girls are the best at giving head," one of them replied with a greasy smile.

Appalled and angered at the thought of any of these men coming near Anzu, Yugi unconsciously moved in front of her.  They'd have to go through him to get to her.  His motion did not go unnoticed as Anzu found herself fighting down a blush at the sight of her childhood friend coming to her defense.  It became even harder to keep down when she realized it was Yugi and not his darker side defending her.

"Enough of this shit!  Let's pound `em!" the leader snarled, charging at Jonouchi, fists swinging.  The fight was on.

Careful to keep her ki in check, Jianu took on the two who'd attacked her thinking to gain an easy win.  A few well-placed punches had them thinking otherwise, just before they passed out.  Glancing around she saw that Jou and Honda were holding their own, working together to beat their opponents.  'Huh, not too bad.  They've got real poten-'

"Yugi!!"

Anzu's cry brought Jianu's attention to their other friends just in time to witness her cousin slamming into the back wall. Ryou was nearby, moving just fast enough to dodge his attacker's blows, but unable to render any assistance.  Meanwhile, another punk held a screaming and thrashing Anzu by her arms as the another prepared to do some real damage to the small tri-color haired teen.

Faster than the untrained eye could follow, Jianu shot across the room to deliver a punishing kick to the punk's head, the force of the blow driving him into Ryou's opponent some 12ft away and into the far wall.   Literally.  Eyes wide in terror, the punk holding Anzu captive released her arms and fainted in fear.

"Whoa," Jou breathed as he and Honda stared at Jianu in awe.  They'd never seen a girl fight like THAT before.

While the boys goggled, the tri-color haired martial artist went to check on her cousin, who was being helped to his feet by Anzu and Ryou.  "Daijoubu ka (4)?" she asked in concern, gently placing her hands on his shoulders.  There was a strange dark aura forming around him and Yugi's eyes were out of focus . . .

Yugi blinked and focused on his cousin, "Yeah. I've taken worse beatings."

(/She's right to be concerned aibou,/) Yami no Yugi interjected, (/You lost consciousness for a moment-/)

/Maa, maa (5), mou hitori no boku.  Daijoubu (6).  Jianu-chan's just worried cause I keep blanking out to talk with you./

(/ ...... /)

"-gi. Yugi!"

"Hai, Jianu-chan?"

The tall teen was looking down at him worriedly, "Seriously, you keep spacing out like that and I'm dragging you to the hospital."

"I'm fine Jianu-chan, really.  But if it makes you feel better I'll put some ice on my head when I get home okay?"

Blue-gray eyes narrowed thoughtfully but eventually, even though she didn't look too convinced, Jianu nodded her head in acquiescence.

/See what I mean?/ Yugi told his dark, receiving the distinct mental image of his other rolling his eyes in reply.

-

x-x-x-x

Closing Theme:  Yume Wa Oshite

-

10/15/04
    re-edited:  08/20/06
     re-re-edited July 6, 2009

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

1 - I was gonna use Quake or one of the other 1st person shooters, but I decided it'd be more fun and less trouble to make up my own, BASED on the others.  Thus the similarities.

2 - Yup, I meant 'haven', not 'heaven'. While this is indeed a more than ideal gaming room, it is far from a gamer's
definition of heaven. Kami, I'm a geek.

3 - Ya know, when someone takes their fist and rubs the top of your head.  Severity and speed vary per administer and victim.

4 - Are you all right/okay?

5 - No real meaning, it's one of those things like "yosh" only in this case it's used when reassuring someone.

6 - I'm fine/all right/okay