Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Beautiful Lie ❯ Sleeping Beauty ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: DB/Z/GT is owned by Akria Toriyama...not me...k.thx. Also, the title..A Beautiful Lie..is owned by the band, 30 Seconds to Mars..love them ^_^.

A/N: I've finally decided to expand my fanfic repertoire, so this is officially my 2nd fic. Basically, it's a post-apocolyptic GT era fic focused mainly on the second generation of Z fighters. There'll be action, tradgedy, romance, and angst...involving just about every character I could fit into the plot. Which is....an unknown enemy unleashes a global wide attack on Chikyuu...targeting..you guessed..the Z warriors. The rest is pretty much self-explanatory...cuz you're all smart people ^_^. I've taken the liberty to play around w/the characters ages..making them younger or older as I felt I needed to make the fic work. Okay..enough from me...read on and review!!!!

Prologue

The frigid air whipped in between the quaint little shacks nestled in the tiny mountain town swiftly. The few people that trudged through the heightening snow were bundled tightly in jackets and scarves; the snow coming down so fast they were lost in all the white. Little did they know that they were being watched. Crouched on one of the snow-laden rooftops was a creature cloaked in dark rags, totally shadowed from view. Using the thick waves of snow, it moved from it's perch and dropped to the ground noiselessly. Keeping to the shadows, it slunk it's way through the town slowly making it's way to the last row of cottages.

I loathe this cowardly way of living, but the last time I was discovered was disastrous. Ducking behind a line of evergreens, it peered around the thick trunks to catch a glimpse of the countryside observatory that was built up on a plateau jutting out from the mountainside. The thick hood hid the smile that crossed the creatures face. Exactly what I was looking for. Making sure her thick tail remained hidden from sight, she darted her way through the thick woods up to the dense foliage that surrounded the northern section of fencing around the building. Reaching out with a clawed hand, she took hold of the chainlink fence and tested it's give. Not much, I'm afraid. I don't want to have to do this, but it cannot be avoided. Holding the icy metal in her hands, she heated it quickly with her ki. That should do it. Anymore could alert one of them to my location. The links melted away and left a large enough hole for her to slip through.

Landing softly in the fresh powder, she went absolutely still and waited for a moment. No alarms...excellent. Staying down on all four's to spread out her weight on the new snow, she advanced on the building. It was modestly made, brick and mortar consituting most of it's material. She sidled up to the heavy steel 'EXIT' door and took a deep breath before whirling and slamming her heel into it's most vulnerable spot..the lock. The door careened inward with a crash and the cloaked creature slipped inside before it swung back to shut. Her eyes scanned the area mechanically before she allowed herself to move through the halls. Whoever's here deserves to die. I've never seen a building so unsecured. Her inhuman feet padded silently along the marble floors as she passed by exhibits and made her way to the laboratories.

Her sharp hearing caught the sound of metal on metal and she followed it until she reached a small lab in the hall that led to the enormous telescope the observatory was noted for. She crept up on the door and also picked up the muted sound of music. Explains why the baka didn't hear me barge in. The adrenaline started to rush through now that she'd finally found what she'd been looking for all these years. Not to mention how much fun it is to terrorize a human to death. Reaching for the knob, she found the door unlocked and grinned maliciously as she slipped inside.

The room was dark except for a small glint visible from beyond a series of shelves heavily packed with miscellaneous machinery. Creeping silently, she slowly made her way to the light and found what she was looking for. Seating at a large wooden desk was a short, squat-bodied little man with a large set of headphones covering his ears. No small wonder I made it this far...not that he could have stopped me anyway. Totally absorbed in his own world, he was busily working on what looked to be an engine component of some kind. Anticipation gave her an almost heady feeling as she slinked up behind him and gently lifted a single phone from his ear. "You have something I want."

The quiet hiss of her voice was like an electric shock and sent him shooting out of his chair. His flurry of activity sent his headphones askew and an assortment of tools from the desktop clattering to the ground. Whirling around, he clucked at his throat. "It's you!"

She'd ducked into the shadows to watch him and smiled. "Yes, it's me."

The man was visibly convulsing with fear. "You're going to kill me, aren't you?"

She cackled with delight. "Most assuredly." Since she'd started attacking laboratories and research centers around the world, news of her kills had spread like wildfire, striking fear into some of the world's most renowned scientists. It wasn't so much what she'd taken, but manner in which she'd left her victims. That was clearly what was running through the powerless creature cowering before her. Just looking at these pathetic creatures is enough to make me want to dismember them. Slowly, a piece at a time. Whipping her thick tail behind her, she pulled a bloodcurdling scream out of his mouth as she sent entire shelves tumbling to the ground. He fell onto his rear and started to scramble backwards. Like he has a chance. Leaping onto the desk like a cat, she laughed. "Going somewhere?" He flipped onto his frontside and tried getting to his feet, only to have her weight slam him into the ground as she pounced on him. "Ah, ah, ah. Don't you want to squirm in agony as the life seeps out of you slowly to surround you viscerally crimson embrace?" Tears replaced his whimpers and she cackled more. "Of course you do."

Not twenty minutes later, she wrenched her bloodied claws from his mutilated flesh and returned to the real object of her desire. Under the lamplight on the sleek wooden worktable was a box-like piece of titanium no larger than a car battery. She smiled at the number of tool marks marring the surface of the part. Fools. Like your obsolete human tools could actually have been used to disect something this well-made. Gently lifting it from the tabletop and tucking it under her arm, she exited the building the using the exact path she used when she came in. Always baffles the inspectors when they finally find my artwork.

Travelling deep into the forest, she allowed herself to relax in a small cave-like hollow in the mountainside. Resting the crucial piece of machinery next to her bosom, she curled up to get the few hours of rest she needed in order to return home. Then there'll be nothing stopping me from avenging my family.

Chapter One

Sometime in the future:

Tears leaked out of her eyes as she clutched his framed photograph to her chest. "Why? Why did you have to go?" Pulling it away to stare at his face, gorgeous dark eyes smiling back at her. Drops splatted fattly onto the glass and she swiped them away with her fingertips, effectively warping his face until it was unrecognizable. "Oh!" Tossing it to the floor in pain, she dashed out onto the elegant balcony attached to her room. The cool night breeze whipped her silky nightgown around her long slender legs as she gazed up into the clear night sky at the stars. "How could you?" Dropping her head into her hands, she wept.

"Don't cry."

The softly spoken words whipped her head up to search for the source, and finding it on the ground below. Sniffing, she glared down at him. "How dare you come back after what you did to me!"

He dropped his head in shame. "Forgive me."

She crossed her arms. "Why should I?" Her thick teal hair swirled around her face as she spoke.

The sight momentarily stunned him into silence. "I..." He sighed. "I don't deserve such an exquisitely beautiful creature as you to love me.." He held up his hand to her. "but to lose you before I got to love you in return would be too much for me to bear."

The sob caught in her throat...it was too good to be true. "I must be dreaming."

A smile broke out on his devilishly handsome face as he floated up to stand beside her. "Trust me, this is no dream." He kneeled before her and took hold of her hand. "Please forgive me."

She couldn't refuse him. "Yes."

"Oh Kami," He wrapped his arms about her waist and pressed his face against her flat belly. "I've been such a fool." Pulling back, he stared into her watery blue eyes. "I'll never put you second to anything again."

Smiling through her tears, she held his strong jaw between her slender hands and gently pulled him to his feet. "Stop talking and kiss me." He pulled her body close and bent his head, his lips a hair's breath away....

"Bra."

..She pushed up onto her tiptoes to lock their lips...

"Bra! Wake up!"

A not-so-nice shove sent her rolling completely off the side of the bed, hitting the floor with thud. Slowly untangling herself from all the sheets, she adjusted her pajama's back into place as she stood up. "What the hell was that for?" She planted her fists on her hips and glared at her pushy alarm clock.

"No wonder you wouldn't get up. You were having that Goten dream of your's again." Marron stood opposite her, arms crossed, grinning hugely at her.

Bra felt her face redden instantly and growled. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Marron noted her clenched teeth and rigid frame and agreed. "Totally no clue."

Satisfied for the moment, Bra glanced at the clock. "Shit."

"Mhm..that's why I woke you up Sleeping Beauty. We're going to be late for class." She easily dodged the pillow thrown at her and dashed back out the door, her long golden ponytail swirling behind her.

Bra collapsed onto the bed faceforward and mumbled into the mattress. "I'm so lame." The whole 'Goten Dream' had started a few months ago, after she's started college in the fall. Her best friend, Marron, had found it extremely entertaining considering Bra went out of her way to be vile toward the guy. Her only was excuse was to say "I can't help it if I take after my father." Groaning, she got up and went to her closet. It's only been four months since I've been away and it's gotten progressively worse. She didn't need her genius mind to figure out the dream was going to increasing plague her. Stupid subconscious. I didn't ask for this. She slipped on a pair of ripped jeans and a white spaghetti-strap tank top. Ok, so maybe I asked just a teeny bit. But not these ridiculous fantasies, I'm not a damsel in distress! Blowing a frustrated breath out of her mouth, she pulled a black hooded Capsule Corp sweatshirt over her tank. "My brain too fried to actually figure out what to wear, so casual it is." Pulling on her boots, she finger-combed her nearly waist-length teal hair into a pony and carefully parted her sideswept bangs. "Good to go." Grabbing her shoulder bag and neccessary books, she locked the door behind her and went to join Marron at the usual location.

Marron and she'd practically grown up sisters, despite a three year age gap. They'd gone to school together, in the same grade even because Bra had been bumped up three years. They'd graduated together when Marron was 18, she 15, and gone on to college the following year. Now she was 18 and Marron had turned 21 right before they started their sophomore year in college. Trudging out of the girl's dormitory, she caught sight of her blonde friend as she waited by the courtyard fountain. She stood up when Bra reached her. "That was fast. Normally I can have my breakfast out here before you get up." She was smiling.

Bra rolled her eyes. "Hardy har har. Let's go to class before I hurt you." She swept past her and down the the stairs to the sidewalk that led to the school.

"Oh, come on B. You know I'm only teasin'." She jogged to check up, slowing to walk beside her.

The DemiSaiyan smiled. "I know." It was how their friendship had always been- Marron would be the joking tease and Bra would be the one threatening bodily harm. And I've been true to my word a few times. They walked together in silence for awhile, just listened to the sounds of the other students. Bra sighed. "I miss my family."

Marron nodded. "I thought something was bothering you."

"I mean it, even Trunks." She adjusted her bag higher on her shoulder. "I almost never miss that pain in the ass."

"You're more homesick than I thought." Marron wrapped a comforting arm around her shoulder. "Well, Christmas break is in a few days. You'll see them soon."

Bra rested her head on her shoulder as they walked. "Are you still coming over for the party?" Her mother threw a get-together type party every year after Christmas like clockwork. Mom loves to party.

"Mhm. I wouldn't miss it." She snorted. "I might even drag my parents."

"That would be nice. I haven't seen them in forever."

"They've been real busy ever since Papa started his own Dojo business. People seem to like the old world style he teaches." Marron shrugged. "Papa said I should've taken a job as an instructor, but you know how I am. I couldn't stop myself from wanting to show off."

Bra pulled herself together and lifted her head. "You're too much like your mother." She snorted at Marron's wide eyes. "C'mon Mar, when you fight you turn into the ice queen."

Marron jerked her arm back and glared. "So you're saying that my Mother is a bitch?"

Bra stopped walking and just stared at her. "Did I say that?" She lifted a finely arched brow. "You should know better Mar, I don't do that."

Marron shook her head. "I'm sorry. I guess exams are just making me touchy." They walked into the enormous building and weaved through the crowded morning hallways. Her pale blue eyes caught sight of a couple tongue-wrestling against the wall and suddenly remembered something. "Oh, I forgot to tell you. Goten is rumored to be dating a very pretty blonde girl whose name is totally escaping me right now."

Bra's face scowled. "Why would I care who that lummox is dating?" She huffed.

Marron laughed. "It is so obvious that it bothers you. Why don't you just tell him?"

"I don't need to tell him anything." She caught sight of her Physics lecture hall. "I'll talk to you later Mar, gotta go."

Marron watched her go, her long legs striding down the hall while her pony swung back and forth. She sighed and shook her head before taking off for her first class. "Bra, what am I going to with you?"


Son Residence

Goten slowed as he turned down the gravel drive that led to the only 'real' home he'd ever had. Wow, didn't think it'd feel this nice to come home. Pressing a bit harder on the accelerator, he piloted the classic '69 Mustang that he'd personally restored over the last two years, down the drive. He gripped the leather wrapped steering wheel tightly as the conjoined homes of his brother and parents finally came into view down in the valley. Man, I can't wait to get some of Mom's food. As if answering, his stomach growled loudly. He snorted and parked the muscle car under the enormous oak tree beside the house. Slipping out of the driver's seat, he slung his jacket over his shoulder as he went down the walk that led up to the ornate stoop of his childhood home.

He lifted his hand to knock, but the door flew inward and his Mother launched herself into his arms. "Oh Goten! You came home!"

He caught her easily and welcomed the embrace. "Mother, how'd you know it was me?" He set her down.

Chichi smiled. "Mother's Intuition." She smiled and reached up to cup his cheek in her small palm. "That and I saw your big black car coming down the drive."

Goten nodded in agreement. "Yeah, I guess there aren't many people with traditional cars that come to visit."

"You look so grown up! I've waited forever for you to come home." She latched onto his arm and dragged him through the house until they were seating at the kitchen table.

He ran his fingers over the old wood and watched as his Mother whirled about the kitchen like a tornado. That's my Mom. He waited until she finally sat down, food spread out in front of him like a buffet. "How have you been?"

She waved a hand in the air. "Oh, just fine. I like taking care of your Father now that you boys are out of the house. It's like when we first got married." Sliding a bowl of noodles in front of him, she leaned forward. "So, I heard there's a new girl in your life?"

Goten groaned inwardly. Gohan, I swear I'm gonna tape your mouth shut. "Ah...well, I guess you could say that." She more like a stalker. He'd always been known as the so-called 'Lady's Man' of the family, always coming around with a different girl hooked around his arm. But those days ended a long time ago. Now his assistant had started to show up unexpectedly at his apartment in the city and calling him at all hours of the day. Or night. He shook his head. "I'm not actually dating this girl."

Chichi raised a brow. "You? Not date a girl?" She started to chuckle until she saw the serious look on his face and the laugh abruptly died behind the palm of her hand. "It's just that, it's not like you not..court..a lady."

He blew his breath out his mouth and leaned back into the chair, stretching his long legs out in front of him. "Yeah, well you wouldn't either when she scares the shit out of you." He didn't look up until he heard her politely clear her throat. It was something she'd done his entire life when he'd done something he shouldn't have. What?....oh. "Forgive my language."

She nodded and reached out to lay her small warm hands on his knee. "I don't think you've been scared of something since you were five years old. Surely she's not that bad."

Try having her barge into a private party and attacking your date.. "You have no idea how crazy she is." He saw the skeptical look on his Mother's face and knew if he didn't act fast, she'd never let it go. "Why don't you ask me about my flourishing career."

Taking the hint, she pulled back her hands and folding them in her lap. "How is it?"

The hurt look on her face made him instantly regret what he'd said, but now it was too late. "We're in the off-season right now, but I'll be working on developing a new engine for my cars come next year." He sat forward and leaned his elbows on the table. "That engineering degree is finally paying off."

She smiled. "You're probably grateful that I pushed you so hard in school. Eventhough you ignored all the engineering jobs and signed on to be a racecar driver."

"What can I say? I had a need for speed, and that hasn't changed." Even since he'd been old enough to drive, careening down the road had been the only thing he'd done. He'd lost his license twice because of excessive speeding, but it still hadn't diminished the adrenaline rush he got.

They both turned toward the back door as it swung open and slammed into the wall, Goku entering with his arms full of firewood. "Hey Chi, could you get the door?"

Goten jumped to his feet and held up a hand. "No, I'll get it."

The older Saiyan took the perfectly quartered pieces of wood into the den before returning and clapping a heavy hand on his son's back. "Well, look what the cat dragged in. How've you been, Son?"

His Father's infectious easy-going attitude quickly dispersed any tension and everyone was soon smiling. Goten smiled. "I've been good, real good."

"I watched your last race." He spotted the food laid out on the table and grabbed a seat. "I have no idea how you managed to get out of that pileup to come in second."

Goten shrugged. "I would've been first if the damn drive axle didn't blow. I ended up coasting my way in." He glanced over at his mother. "Sorry Mom."

"I know I let you start racing because you loved it, but please don't talk about crashes around me. I don't want to think about it." She returned to her seat, next to her husband.

"Is that why you never come?" He sat down into his chair and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Yes. I couldn't bear seeing you get hurt." She laid her hand on Goku's leg and smiled. "So, are you coming to the Briefs Christmas Party this year? I heard that even Krillin's going to be there."

Goku paused his inhalation of food. "Really? Man, I haven't seen him in years."

"Yes, I'm going. I wouldn't miss it." He picked up a chip and popped it into his mouth. "It'll be the one time I get to see Trunks this year."

"You haven't seen him?" Chichi frowned.

Goten ate a few more. "No. I'm too busy with racing and he's always buried up to his eyes with Capsule Corp." The last time he'd seen his best friend had been at the sponsorship event where Trunks had become his number one sponser. Since then I've been known as the Capsule Corp. car. Even then his friend looked worn out, and he'd seen the depressed look in his eyes.

Chichi clucked. "That boy works too hard." She glanced at the cat clock ticking it's tail back and forth over the stove and stood abruptly. "Oh shoot, we're late."

Goten watched his father scarf a last bite of everything. "For what?"

"Pan won an award for her journalism piece that she'd submitted into a contest. We're supposed to meet them for dinner to celebrate." She dashed out of the room.

Goku sighed. "Guess that means I have to get dressed." He followed behind his wife sullenly.

They eventually came back down, dressed nicely. Chichi was buzzing around like a hummingbird. "We are so late."

Goten grabbed her by the shoulders. "Calm down. We'll get there on time." He reached into his pants pocket and pulled out his car keys. "I'll drive."

A/N: That's it for the first chapter..and I know there wasn't a lot of action, but that's kind of the point I'm trying to make. They'll be a few more like this...then BAM! Yep..just like that ^_^. It'll be written like my other fics, just with a different feel. Also, to clear it up..this is a Trunks/Marron, Bra/Goten fic...in case you were wondering. Anywho..I'd appreciate some reviews people! Tell me what you think!