Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Change of Heart ❯ Stuck In An Elevator With You ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Pan gripped her briefcase tighter and walked into the room. A secretary's fake smile greeted her, and she walked up to the desk. The shapely blonde leaned forward, hands clasped together, a penciled eyebrow raised.

"May I help you?" She asked, not really interested at all. Pan reached into her case and pulled out a folder with some papers within and handed them to her.

"I'm supposed to be meeting with Mr. Degraid to speak about a position?" The secretary's eyebrow rose sharply. She gave a smirk and stood up, grabbing the folder Pan had given her along with some others from a desk drawer.

"Follow me." Pan saw heels too high to bring any comfort on her feet, and a skirt too short for decency. She gave s knock on the door, and a deep voice-Conner's-answered. "Just one moment." She said, and slipped through the door. It latched, and in a few moments she was back, opening the door wide for Pan and then going back to her own desk.

"Miss Son." Conner said, standing and offering her his hand. She took it with a smile and then sat down in one of the brown leather seats. She brought her briefcase onto her lap while he flipped down his computer screen. He then slid a slab of wood over the computer, flushing it perfectly into his desk, making her wonder if it had ever even been there before.

"I came to speak with you about the position you offered me." She stated, and he nodded. "Although it is a wonderful opportunity, and I thank you for considering me, I cannot except it." His lips dropped, but he stifled it quickly. "I have received another opportunity which I think would be best to accept at this time." He tilted his head back a touch, and nodded, imploring her to continue. "I have received an offer to attend school abroad, and I feel at this time that since I have the opportunity I should take it."

"I completely understand, Miss Son. And I would note that that is a very wise decision." She gave a smile, not knowing what else to say. "Perhaps, when your schooling abroad is complete, you would reconsider?" She nodded. "Then thank you." He stood up and gave her another handshake.

He showed her to the door, and under the scrutiny of the secretary using a nail file she left the office.

She stepped into the Capsule Corps. skyscraper, pushing through the hustle and bustle to the elevator which was surprisingly empty. She pushed the button for on of the highest floors and leaned against the wall, pulling a manila envelope out of her briefcase.

The elevator reached its destination, and she stepped out into a much quieter place. The woman-Trunks' secretary-greeted her with a smile. She stood up and walked over.

"Miss Son, are you here to see him?" She asked pleasantly. Pan mentally wondering why couldn't Conner Degraid have a secretary like this. She started walking to the door.

"Of, I-" Pan started, rushing to stop her, but she knocked and Pan was stuck. "I was just dropping something off." She said quietly. She heard Trunks' voice, and the secretary opened the door wide, tilting her head, wordlessly inviting Pan to enter.

She timidly walked into the room, her briefcase held in front of her, her head tilted to the side. Trunks' head was down, signing different papers, tongue sliding over the bottom of his front teeth, and she made it all the way to her seat and had sat down onto the overstuffed leather seats before he looked up.

"Pan?" He asked, and she could tell he expected someone-anyone-but her. She presented the manila envelope, leaning forward and handing it to him.

"I was coming into town, and my father asked if I could bring this by." He opened it and looked over its contents briefly, then sat it down onto the mahogany desk. "Well," She started, standing up. "I better get going. You must have a lot to do." She smiled, turning to leave.

"No, really I don't." He said, getting up and walking towards her. "It gets pretty boring after a while." He laughed, and she turned around towards him again. "Could I at least walk you out?"

"Sure, if you'd like." He grabbed his jacket and followed her out of the door. He spoke briefly to his secretary, then followed Pan towards the elevators.

"I'm gonna head home." He said, explaining his jacket and his talk with the secretary. "Nothing else left to do now but play solitaire." They laughed, and she sighed upon seeing the line for the elevators. He grabbed his arm, and led her to another one down the hall.

"This one's usually less crowded. That is, no one really knows about it, it's much smaller." He pressed the button, it lit up, and in a near instant the doors slid open. Trunks pushed the button for the first floor, and they started going down.

Seconds later, the elevator stopped with a lurch, and the lights flickered for a brief moment, before dimming almost out. Trunks started pushing different buttons, and then picked up the phone. There was no dial tone, and he didn't get anywhere with it. He let out a frustrated sigh, and Pan-knowing now there was no way to contact anyone-started to get worried.

"What's going on?" She asked, and Trunks turned to her, his hair somewhat tousled, an irritated expression on his face.

"Looks like we're stuck here until someone realizes the elevator isn't working, or my mother calls like a mother does, worried and panicky." He leaned against the wall and slid down to the floor. She plopped down too, trying to think of something to get them out of the small cubicle.

What seemed like hours later, Pan was painting the final coat of nail polish on her nails, and Trunks was playing solitaire on Pan's laptop computer while bad elevator music played. She dropped the bottle of nail polish into her briefcase, and blew on her nails, thinking of what she could do next to amuse herself. She couldn't think of anything so she poked Trunks in the leg with her foot. He looked up.

"I'm bored." He shook his head, a funny smirk on his face. "Yes, again." She said, irritated. He smiled and flipped the laptop shut. He put it back into her briefcase and folded his arms, leaning back against the wall.

"So, what do you want to do?" He asked, his funny smirk turned into a Vegeta one. Pan tilted her head to one side, then the other, then back again. He raised an eyebrow; he knew her answer; she had said it five times before.

"I dunno'." She said for the sixth time since they had entered the elevator. He shook his head and laughed. "What?" She asked, irritated. He just laughed again, and she folded her arms, pouting like a six-year-old.

"Can't you think of something to do?" He asked. "You keep saying you're bored, but I don't hear you suggesting anything to do." She narrowed her eyes at him, something rarely seen on a Son's happy-go-lucky face.

"Well, maybe if I was in this elevator with someone besides you." She said, her eyes losing their narrowed expression somewhat. He unfolded his arms.

"Do you mean someone like Dave?" He asked, and her lip dropped.

"Dave?" She said, shocked at what he had shot back at her comment.

"Or someone more like Larkin Scott? Is he more your type?" He said the last words silkily, smoothly, snakelike like Vegeta.

"What do you mean?" She asked, astounded, shaking her head, her Saiyan blood heating up and boiling.

"Don't go so innocent on me, Pan, not all the Sons are innocent, you know what I'm saying." He leaned back again, sliding his arms into a fold, a Vegeta expression clearly in full play upon his face.

"Larkin…Larkin and I are nothing. Just a date the night before last, nothing else. And Dave…Dave, well, Dave is nothing either. He just got a girlfriend, he wants nothing to do with me-"

"Then you want something with Dave?" He shot quickly, shocking her again at how quickly he twisted her words.

"No!" She yelled, standing up. He followed. "And stop twisting my words like that, idiot!" She drew her hands into fists and he stood straight, unwavering, as she stared him down.

"Idiot? That's the best you can do?" He smiled. "Oh, wait, you're a Son." Her lip dropped and she took deep breaths, shocked far more by that than any of his previous comments. She gritted her teeth and bared them, her pride and anger rising again.

"You take that back." She growled, and he smirked, and she was reminded of all the stories of Vegeta on Namek, or of Vegeta when he had first come to earth. He leaned close to her, his breath blowing her hair.

"Make me." He dared, before leaning forward and kissing her. She pulled her fists up and pushed against his chest, but he held onto her fast.

Then she stopped struggling, and gave in, realizing she didn't mind at all. In fact, she liked it. She stopped pushing against him, and instead let her hands fall slack against his chest. She let her head tilt up, and suddenly she was aware of the fact that he smelled wonderful. He always had, she remembered.

And just when everything was perfect, something was rustling above them, and he let her go, their lips breaking apart. Internally she wanted to scream, yell at him to kiss her again, but outside her pride kicked in and she put on a mad face, shooting him a hateful stare; the last thing she wanted was for him to think she enjoyed it. He still had her in his arms, but he looked up at where the noise was coming from. They head voices, and he shot her a smile. She practically melted at the perfect smile, and probably would have if someone hadn't have called out to them

"Is there anyone in there?" A voice asked, banging on the ceiling of the square cubicle. Trunks called back, and the man said help was on the way. Pan hugged herself and sat, kneeling, on the floor.

Trunks leaned against the wall and folded his arms, legs outstretched in front of them. He looked at Pan, and she glared back. He smiled and shook his head.

"Now, you don't hate me too much, do you?" Her glare deepened, and she pulled her legs out from under her, folding them, leaning forward on her arms.

"It's possible." She said, and he gave her a look that asked, `Why?' "You've got a girlfriend, and if you're about to say this was all a joke, then that's worse. And don't you dare criticize me of taste when you go out with her-" He drew one corner of his lip up.

"She's not my girlfriend, Pan. I haven't seen her since that night at the drive-in, and we haven't talked since then. She just called me to hang out for the night." She struggled with something to say, but she didn't end up having to think of anything. Some firemen busted into the elevator and pulled them out into safety, and Pan was grateful to be on any ground solider than that elevator.