Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Smile and Tears ❯ A Smile and Tears ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

What's happening? One moment you were here, then the next you weren't. I do a quick ki search and find that it's rapidly fading. You must be flying.
I still feel your hands on my skin, your lips on my lips. It still sends shivers down my spine, but now in the most chilling way. Were all our years of friendship for this? This one night stand?
I fell asleep last night in your arms. A smile must have been on my face. I feel the ghost of it tugging my lips, but I haven't the heart to obey. Smiling is for happiness.
I remember waking to find your arms still around me. You stirred behind me and raised up on one elbow to look down at my face.
“What are you smiling about, Chibi?” you asked.
I turned my face up to yours, about to give you the truth. I'm smiling because I couldn't be happier. Your frosty blue eyes stared into mine like glass. Like glass in its stillness and coldness. “I-I don't know,” I stuttered.
You sneered then. “Can't even speak clearly…you're so stupid, Chibi.”
My eyes widened as you got out of bed and began dressing. I sat up, covering myself with the blankets. Although I don't know why. You can see right through me. “Wh-where are you going?” I asked, not giving my heart a chance to answer.
“Away.” You pulled your socks on and walked to the door, as calm as ever.
“Trunks-kun, wait,” I burst out then, tears welling in my eyes. But I won't let them fall.
You paused at the door, your hand on the doorknob.
“I…I love you,” I whispered, meaning it more than I even knew. That must have been the most truthful thing I've ever said. And I've never lied.
“You don't know what love is,” you muttered before twisting the knob and jerking the door open.
I sat, in a pile of my blankets, your scent still surrounding me, as the front door opened and slammed.
 
I'm still sitting here. How could you just leave me? I gave you everything, and you promised me everything. Tears pooled in my eyes as I remembered the past. The day of our first kiss.
I almost smiled. Almost. It was night time, and we were flying. We were hovering over West City, watching the snow slowly cover the buildings.
“Isn't it beautiful?” I breathed.
“Yeah.” A shiver ran down my spine as I felt your hot breath on my neck. I didn't notice you had moved behind me. I turned to see you, your blue hair played by the gentle wind and your eyes fastened on mine. “You are beautiful.”
I blushed and dropped my eyes to your chest. “Trunks-kun…”
I felt your curl a finger beneath my chin and let you tilt my face to yours. “Look at me,” you said gently.
Hesitantly but trustfully, I raised my eyes to yours at the moment you leaned forward and caught my lips with yours.
You sure do know how to make someone fall in love with you, Trunks-kun.
 
I trusted you, gave you everything I had. I left my family for you, believing your promise that you'd take care of me. Where did that promise end up? Here, in the city you first kissed me above. Here, under sheets crumbled with our lovemaking. Here, in these tears I refuse to let fall.
Why didn't I listen to Gohan when he tried to warn me against you? Why didn't I heed Tousan's words of caution? Why?
I know. My lips lift ever so slightly in the shadow of a smile as the tears I've been holding back break through and trail down my cheeks.
The answer's simple. Because I loved you. And still do.