Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Black and White ❯ 13 ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Shit," Shallot muttered. "That's a powerful Namekian."
 
"Of course you'd think so," the prince answered, eyes following the fight. He had fought Cell—for a while. But Goku had insisted on cutting in again, and he had obliged. Another Vegeta had tumbled from Cell's body, but the fusion between Vejata and Cole had taken care of it—and soared off elsewhere without explanation. Vegeta noticed that she had ended up near his son—and that Vegeta, too, was dead now. From what he could remember of the time he'd fought them, fused with the woman who was herself a copy of him—and the memories were few, and fuzzy—they were not much on their own. That was how they'd beaten them all—besides the last one.
 
Now Piccolo was fighting what had come up from Cell's body almost immediately after the young copy. He'd thought it was Freeza at first, but no—just something like him. Perhaps Cell had thought it to be Freeza, too, but would such a being even be worth Cell's effort? Maybe pickings in Hell were slim. The prince had not spent long in Hell, but was not surprised that no one had caught on to the creature's plot.
 
In any case, Cell was getting weaker. Vegeta sidestepped as Goku slid along the ground past him, pulling himself up and breathing deeply. "Man," the Saiyajin grinned, "he sure has gotten tougher. Learned some new stuff, too." He glanced up as Goten and Trunks came soaring back, apparently dazed, with the fused woman he'd been calling Cojata leading them. Goku frowned as Cojata charged after Cell without a word, stealing his fight away from him. "What happened?" Goku turned to the boys.
 
Goten shook his head and glanced at Trunks. "We almost killed 'im," he said in a small voice, and Trunks nodded. "The Vegeta. It was...scary."
 
"Oh," Goku tilted his head, "but he's killed tons of other people, y'know? Did he seem like he was nice deep down?"
 
They shook their heads.
 
"So—so it's okay, you coulda—"
 
"No," Goten muttered. "Nuh-uh."
 
"Is she Vejata and Cole?" Trunks asked, glancing up.
 
"Yup," Shallot grinned, "Ain't she somethin'?"
 
"Not compared to us," Trunks crossed his arms, but he faltered, and turned back to his father. "I'm not gonna fight, dad...I'm...I don't wanna...not right now, you gotta..."
 
Vegeta nodded, placing a hand against his son's shoulder. "Good." He closed his eyes. "Don't do something you'll regret." The boy nodded. He leapt as Piccolo flew past them, cape whipping in the wind. As the Namekian landed, he threw the cape off.
 
"Another one of these things," he motioned to another Vegeta.
 
"Allow me," Vegeta stepped forward.
 
Goku threw his hands in the air. "Hey! Whaddabout me?"
 
"Go back to fighting Cell," the prince shrugged. "It looks like Cogeta needs some help," he rolled his eyes as a small earthquake shook the ground, and the woman slowly pulled herself from the crater.
 
"You mean Coja—"
 
"Naw, he's right!" Shallot interrupted. "Her name's Vegeta. Not that stupid one you guys have."
 
"She ain't no Vegeta to me," Goku frowned and turned away, ascending as he neared the fight. He glanced back for a moment and veered toward the Vegeta.
 
"Yeesh," Shallot shrugged and glanced at Vegeta. "Now tell me if I'm wrong, but you ain't exactly leaps an' bounds diff'rent than her, are you? Like you ain't no saint neither, right? I just figured—"
 
The princed cocked an eyebrow and began to speak in protest—but paused. "You know what she did?"
 
"Huh?"
 
"To Kakarrot?"
 
"Sorta," she shrugged. "But more like, I know what she did t' me."
 
Vegeta furrowed his brows.
 
"It's like this—we grew up together. An', y'know, helped each other out, through the kinda stuff that bothers kids, people dying an' stuff. Ain't nobody was closer than us two, 'specially later on," she winked, and Vegeta's nose wrinkled. "Then I get just a nudge stronger'n her, an', well the King didn't like it one bit tha' we were so close anyway, an' I guess it was a good enough excuse to him to try t' talk Vegeta into killin' me." She frowned. "I was right there outside a' the room when he was talking 'bout it to her. I was sure she was gonna tell 'im no. She was prob'ly strong enough to kill him then. It sounded all like she didn't wanna, but—I left 'fore it was over. I couldn't listen."
 
Vegeta snorted.
 
"Next day we met up t' spar." She lowered her gaze. "I knew what was comin' soon's I saw her." When she lifted her eyes to meet the prince's again, they were blazing. "Shit, you love somebody for near twenty years an' that's what y' get?" Her fists clenched. "I wasn't gonna kill her like the King thought I was. I was close enough t' her t' see the King t' know ruling's a shit job. An' she knew it." Shallot's eyes widened. "She knew it."
 
"You should have expected it," he spat, but his expression softened even as her features grew angrier. "A man named Nappa served beneath me for just as long. He proved to be insufficient in battle against Kakarrot—I killed him. I doubt if you found him and spoke with him in Hell that he'd tell you anything other than that he'd have expected nothing less. And he—that's when I thought he was the last Saiyajin alive, short of Kakarrot."
 
"That's different."
 
"How so?"
 
"—Unless you an' he fucked in the showers after you sparred," she finished, and Vegeta's eyes widened, ears and cheeks blazing red. "And, you know, all that other mushier stuff."
 
"Well—"
 
"Besides, I'll bet you were fixing on taking up Kakarrot as your new lackey guy, if he was stronger'n your other. Me, I was th' strongest. Now there's that shrimp girl stronger'n me since I've been gone."
 
"Bit too young, I think," Vegeta muttered under his breath. Shallot snorted with laughter, but grew more solemn as the prince continued to speak. "Kakarrot has every right to be angry. Your woman crossed a line with what she did to him."
 
"One that you ain't crossed?"
 
He seemed to think back. "No."
 
"Well, whatever," she rolled her eyes. "I ain't exactly pleased about it neither. Really, I'm surprised," she leaned in, "she ain't so mean, y'know, as she likes t' act."
 
"I'm trying to watch the fight," Vegeta snapped. "You should, too."
 
"Can't," she grumbled. "Can't see a damn thing."
 
The prince smirked. "Right. Good time to learn." His eyes seemed to glimmer, and Shallot shook her head.
 
"Oh, no," she warned, lifting her hands defensively, "uh-uh."
 
"You'll see him coming. He's too strong not to sense, even for the likes of you."
 
"I get the feelin' y' don't get—"
 
His lips pulled back. "Oh, I won't let you die. Now go fly out there yourself, or I'll throw you."
 
"Goddammit, you're just like her!" she blew Vegeta a raspberry. "If you let me die you're gonna get so much hell—"
 
"Ahem," a new voice spoke up, and the two of them glanced to the right to see a red oni holding a clipboard. "Yes, you with the halo, you'll need to come with me. Uh, you ought to be in Hell right now."
 
"What if I don't?" she stuffed her arms over her chest. "Huh?"
 
"Mm," the oni readjusted his glasses, "well, er, it might get a bit ugly. There are quite a few fellows in Heaven who are more than strong enough to drag you back by whatever means necessary. This would just be a lot nicer, and," he scratched his head with his pencil, "er, well, you won't get put down into the nastier part of Hell, see."
 
"Whatever," Shallot rolled her eyes. "Fine." She turned to the others. "Hope you don't fuck it up too bad. Seems you've got the upper hand on this guy." She stuck her tongue out in disgust. "Anywho, I sure hope I don't see 'im in Hell ever again."
 
"Oh," the oni cleared his throat, "um, well, as soon as we get this business with this," he glanced over his clipboard, "Cell character worked out, we'll be keeping an eye of him. You needn't worry."
 
"Thank the gods for that one." She glanced at Vegeta. "Tell Vegeta where I went. I'm sure I'll see her later." The prince shrugged, snorting, and Shallot turned to the boys, who nodded. "You whelps are awful strong. I'd say you do the Saiyajin proud." Her tail whipped around energetically, and she smirked, stepping up beside the oni. "Arright. Let's go."
 
 
...
 
 
Goku disposed of the Vegeta quickly, and reached Cell just in time to watch the fusion split. Piccolo had joined—deflected a blast from Cole as she tumbled away from Vejata and glanced at Goku, smirking. "I've got an idea, Son."
 
"I think I know what it is," he grinned. "Hey, you wanna senzu first?"
 
"It may help," he reached out his hand to take one from the Saiyajin. "I'll step back here."
 
"I see you're back for some more," Cell chuckled, coming to a stop before Goku. "Certainly your team is more resilient than before. Then again, you've been ganging up on me."
 
"Well," Goku cracked his neck, "I guess you have lots a' people in you helping you out, too." He smirked. "Or maybe not as many now. Seems t' me you're not quite so strong."
 
Cell's smirk faltered, and his hands twitched. "Yes, well, we'll see. I'd say I'm still far too much for you."
 
"Dunno," Goku grinned. "We'll see."
 
Cole dragged herself up. "That was awesome!" she grinned. "I wanna do it again!"
 
"Not for another hour," Piccolo spoke quietly, two fingers held carefully near his forehead. "You should go farther away—go find Trunks and Goten." Vejata gave a quick glance at Piccolo, raising her eyebrows as she tried to decide what she was doing. As she stretched her senses to feel his power, she smirked a little.
 
"What's this?" the prince spoke, alighting nearby and motioning to Piccolo's stance.
 
"How we killed Raditsu," Piccolo spoke quietly. "Only this time, I'd prefer Son not die. At the very least, we can knock someone else from Cell this way."
 
Vegeta nodded. "And Kakarrot's distracting him?"
 
"Yes."
 
The prince glanced at Vejata. "Well, it looks like you may be useful yet."
 
"I saved your son," she spoke quietly, challenging him. Vegeta frowned and turned to watch Goku as he swung punches at Cell. Cell was dodging them—but barely. However, he seemed to have something up his sleeve as he chortled, grabbing Goku's wrist and quickly twisting, throwing him against the ground and firing a series of ki blasts into him. "Kakarrot's not holding up so well."
 
"He should have taken a senzu," Vegeta spat, leaping over to where the other Saiyajin had fallen. Vejata followed, and as she reached the small crater, it became apparent what Cell had been chuckling about—from him came a series of smaller versions of himself, a bluer color that blended into the sky, though less as it darkened with clouds on the horizon.
 
"They're stronger than the last time," Goku remarked, standing. "Huh. One, two...three of 'em. Then with Cell, it's..." He glanced toward Cell. "Four against three? Now that ain't fair!"
 
"There are four of you—what about Piccolo?" he called down.
 
"He ain't fightin' right now!"
 
"Ah well," Cell laughed. "I guess you'll have to fight his for him, then."
 
The smaller Cells crept around the three of them, and they found themselves with their backs toward each other. These Cells were, certainly, stronger then they had been the last time Goku had seen them; he was certain. Vejata powered up, and the others followed suit. Goku glanced briefly toward the queen—she was focused entirely outward. Her eyes moved quickly, calculating, for she was the weakest of them—had the most to worry about. Vejata's tail was unwrapped from her waist, and twitched as the miniature Cells drew nearer. "So you've seen these things before?"
 
"Yeah. They're pretty tough. Thing is, I could beat 'em all easy enough, but not all at once. If y' get too far from where me or Vegeta can help you out, one of 'em will pick you off. You'll die." His voice wavered as he realized it—that this time, he had the power over the queen's life. It scared him; a dark voice reminded him that it wouldn't be such a shame if she did die.
 
She glanced back at him, and they locked eyes. Goku's were shaking with conflict, and Vejata was certain she had caused it. "I'll stay close, then, and do what I can," she muttered. "I know you'll keep me safe." She felt Goku shiver, and his eyes resumed scanning the terrain, carefully watching Cell himself. Goku stole a quick glance toward Vegeta. Right now, he was alive, and right now, if he failed, Vejata would be dead. She'd wronged him; she'd more than wronged him. He wasn't ready to forget it. But he couldn't let it distract him—he would defend her on the battlefield like any other ally, and deal with her later. As the small Cells leapt toward the group of Saiyajin, their backs pressed closer together and they braced themselves. Cell himself charged Goku, laughing, lacing his fingers together to bring his fists down onto the man's head. Goku lifted his hands to his head, and a blinding flash illuminated the area; leaning back against the others, he grabbed their arms and quickly directed them away while the light faded.
 
"Dammit, Kakarrot," Vegeta hissed, eyes pressed shut. "Warn us!"
 
"Sorry!"
 
"What the hell was that?"
"Can you guys see yet?"
 
"Barely," they both answered.
 
"Okay, 'cause they're coming again!" This time he was ready, and focused his energy downward. "Get ready to attack, and then we'll move away!"
 
"Not like that again, I'd hope," Vegeta muttered.
 
"Just keep hold of my arms. We can attack and get ourselves away at the same time!"
 
Vejata curled her fingers, gathering bright purple ki between them to do what she could. Vegeta's attack was more impressive—one flat palm out and aimed and ready. As they each fired at one of the small Cells, Vejata blinked in alarm to find a third beam had joined theirs—from Goku's feet. Cell himself deflected this beam, but two of his small offspring were buried into the ground by the others, and the group of three Saiyajin rocketed away with the extra help of the propulsion from the attacks. The two injured Cells stood, brushed themselves off, and persisted, taking off to approach them again; but they were of minimal concern as Cell himself drew nearer.
 
"Nice try," he grinned, "or at the very least, creative. But you're going to have to put more power behind it than that!" The third small Cell neared them just as rapidly, and nearly collided with the three—Vejata let go of Goku to grab it and twist its head. It began dropping to the ground.
 
"I'm not totally useless," she remarked.
 
"You gotta destroy it all the way," Goku answered, firing a blast at it. "Else it'll just regenerate like Piccolo does." He paused and grinned. "Speakin a' Piccolo—"
 
Cell blinked, confused at the comment, and his eyes bulged as a drill-like beam burst through him. Vegeta ducked to the side, feeling its heat pass close to his neck. "Got anybody else to spit up?" Goku laughed. Though Cell did not answer, they found out as a being greatly resembling Goku himself flew out and crashed into the ground. The Saiyajin stood, dizzy and wiping ooze and saliva from himself. He coughed. Piccolo gave a quick glance toward the man, and in a blink had him held tightly.
 
"He's not very powerful, Son," the Namekian remarked. "Do you know him?"
 
Goku shook his head, and glanced back at Cell, who was struggling to recover from the ordeal as Vegeta repeatedly shot ki blasts through the hole each time it tried to close up.
 
"Kakarrot," the man spoke weakly, head rolling to the side briefly as he lost the strength to hold it up. "Get," he mumbled, "Freeza...get...you're...Kakarrot..."
 
"What do you want me to do with him?" Piccolo asked.
 
"He knows my name," Goku muttered.
 
"Son..." the man's eyes cracked open. "Is this...real...?"
 
"Did he just say 'son'?" the Saiyajin blinked. He glanced at Cell, who seemed to finally be making headway in regenerating as Vegeta now assisted Vejata in fighting off the two smaller Cells. One was certainly worse for the wear—Vejata reached for it and drove her hand through its throat, tossing it into the air and destroying it with ki blasts—not without Vegeta's help. "Yeah," Goku finally answered the man. "Are you my dad or somethin'?" He looked to Piccolo. "Let's keep him here and see what happens after we beat Cell."
 
"Lord Enma will probably send someone to come get him," Piccolo answered. "But yes—I'll keep him in check until then."
 
Cell groaned as the hole finally filled in, and glanced around to find none of the smaller Cells surviving. "Well," he crossed his arms. "You certainly are holding up well. Say, Son Goku, would you like to see something interesting?"
"What kinda interesting?" he blinked.
 
"A technique I've been working on," his eyes glimmered. "You've seen it before, but not like this. I've perfected it. As is only fitting," his grin widened.
 
"Yeah?" he blinked and smiled, suddenly excited. "Sure, lessee, then."
 
"I'd hate to subject you to it first," he laughed, "so you can watch me try it on one of your friends." Before Goku could speak, Cell had grabbed someone from beside him, and appeared farther away. The nervously curling tail that kept brushing up against his calves was still there, which meant—
 
"I think you know this one, Vegeta," Cell muttered, holding him close. "It took your dear rival away from you. The thing is, now I know just how to recover from it..."
 
Vegeta could feel the creature's body swelling—both in power and in size. His chest froze for a moment, but then he smirked. "Something you don't know, Cell—I've got a similar one up my sleeve." Calming his pounding heart, he focused his energy inward, and screamed to unleash it, hoping it would work—at the same time as Cell burst.
 
Goku shielded his eyes from the bright light, ears ringing with the sound of Vegeta's scream. It sounded familiar, somehow—
 
"Shit," came Vejata's voice from beside him. "He's dead."
 
"They're both dead," Goku muttered, shocked that his voice could actually leave his throat. It came alongside a distant rumbling of thunder from the dark clouds as they closed in; he wondered if his words were even audible. He wondered if the flash had been anything more than lightning. The thought was appealing and he was almost convinced of it; the rain that began falling was, maybe, Vegeta's reassuring fingers on his shoulder.
 
"You didn't feel that?" Vejata asked him, surprised.
 
"What?"
 
"From what I can tell," she murmured, "they both tried to blow themselves up. But Prince Vegeta was beaten to the punch. He was dead before his power could affect Cell."
 
Goku wondered if this was true—if Vejata was somehow better at deciphering these things, or if he simply hadn't noticed it because he hadn't wanted to. She had no reason to lie, he supposed. "So..."
 
"Prince Vegeta is dead. Cell is alive...and coming back."