Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Changes ❯ Together in a Different Way ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Dragonball, Dragonball Z, or Dragonball GT. These series are owned by Akira Toriyama and Toei Animation. The following is a work of fan fiction.
 
 
 
 
 
I thought all of the hurt and betrayal I'd nursed over the last year would overpower anything else when I'd agreed to meet Bulma's newborn son. I was so sure that it would take every part of me to keep myself from raging out at her for bearing that Saiyan monster's child. Maybe the tears that boiled hot inside would finally erupt and I'd say all of those hateful curses my imagination fostered. I wasn't prepared for all of that to melt away at the sight of the most precious baby boy I'd ever laid eyes on.
“His name is Trunks,” his mother cooed, “Wanna hold him?”
He didn't look like the miniature replica of his father I'd constructed in my mind. He looked so much like his mama with those blue eyes. She beamed with pride as she displayed him prominently before me. It made the answer come easy.
“I'd love to.” I reached out to absorb the comfortable burden of his weight in my hands. “He's a big un', isn't he?” I held him high and watched his eyes carefully calculate my worth. He waved his arms and giggled with approval.
“Aw, look there, Yamcha! He likes you.” She was so happy. I thought that would make it harder, but it just seemed to make everything so much simpler. Her happiness was important to me. It always would be, regardless of where she led her life from here. And the little guy? Well, it looked perfectly clear to me that this baby Trunks was going to be pretty important to me, too. He held my heart in his hands as effortlessly as he breathed.
“That's a good thing! If he grows up strong like his da-…like his dad, then I hope he likes me.” Already I could sense power inside this little body, and I knew it wouldn't be long before he joined the ranks of the most powerful fighters on the planet. Maybe even the whole universe!
I lowered him gently to rest against my shoulder. He raised his hand towards Bulma, who accepted the small gift gladly. I watched her glow with the love she had for this child, and I understood a little more how she could stand that man who helped kill me. Without him, there wouldn't be this perfect creature cradled in my arms. At that realization, I felt something inside ease a fraction. I saw before me a path to forgiving the alien prince that so easily took everything from me. I did not step forward, but I knew I would someday, when I felt like being a better man.
Currently, I felt a sliver of drool run down my back.
“Looks like you need to get back to your crib, huh, Trunks?” I slowly and a little reluctantly give him back to his mother. Her smile outshone the sun when she held the world in her arms.
“Come on, Yamcha. We still have a lot of catching up to do!” she whispered. She turned back to the house and I'm not so angry anymore. I couldn't forget and I couldn't forgive, but I was getting there. It was a beautiful day, and hope was forged then. We would make it to tomorrow and the days after, still together if only as the friends we'd began this amazing journey as so long ago.