Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Changing History ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Don't own DBZ or DB. Don't own Bardock. Darn. They belong to their creator, Akira Toriyama. I do own my OC's though. No money will be made from this story; in fact, it's written solely for my own enjoyment. No suing please!


Genres: Action/Adventure, and?


Warnings: language, violence, humor, slight/some oocness, and ???


Rating: PG-13 for language and future violence


Summary: AU. Bardock goes after his son rather than warn the other Saiyans. What would happen?


Author Notes: I’ve decided to change Kalia’s name. For some reason I don’t like it now. So now Kalia is Kaitlyn. I’ve also reflected this change in the previous chapters as well.


Italics character's thoughts
blah vision
-oo00oo- change in conversation, time, etc.
-blah- flashback


Changing History: Chapter Five


Bardock wondered if it was the right thing to go shopping with Kaitlyn. Her enthusiasm for this kind of stuff made him think and form a theory that females on this planet love to do this kind of thing. He hid his distaste in Kaitlyn's hand gripping around his wrist; all the while dragging him around the mall. This had better be worth it. I don't like to be dragged around like this. Bardock managed to keep a pace that suited the one of Kaitlyn's. He found himself studying the many stores that they passed. Some of them had interesting names. The Ragin' Note?! What kind of a name is that!? Do stores here carry names like that everywhere? This planet must be obsessed with giving weird names to their stores. His black gaze continued looking around.


Kaitlyn wondered what Bardock was thinking at the current moment. She suspected one of the thoughts were probably one of anger. She didn't blame him a bit. After all, she had kind of blackmailed him to leave his beloved scouter behind in the car and get him to go shopping. He needed clothes and she needed a few things to fix his armor. It seemed like a trade-off. Plus, she decided to take command of his movements so that he didn't wander off and do something to bring attention to him. I know he's not too thrilled to have me dragging him along, but maybe once he has some clothes and I have my supplies, he can walk on his own power. She paused to look up at the sign that read 'The Gi Store'. Her eyes widened and the green in her eyes brightened.


"We're here Bardock." her voice broke into the silence that had developed between them.


Bardock took a moment to look at the name of the place they were going to be looking in and to his relief the name was normal. Maybe not all of these stores have weird names. "Well? Let's go inside the place."


Kaitlyn simply tugged on his arm and the two of them entered the store. Even though in the back of her mind, she laughed. Her grip tightened as she paused a moment to think of what color might be appropriate for him to wear. I would assume he might like something similar to the colors that he wears currently. If I'm not mistaken he's wearing green & black armor with a hint of yellow. Interesting. His pants are teal and his boots red and green. Can't forget his gloves are red. A few choices to choose from. I'd say green and black. How about red and green? Black and teal? His hair is black and he wears a red headband. Hmm, this is tougher then I realized.


The increasing pressure on his arm slightly hurt. This surprised Bardock.  Her power level wasn't near his at all. Bardock cocked his head to peer at Kaitlyn, who looked to be in deep thought. What's she thinking about now? Better not be a way to embarrass me. Still she is rather quiet and I want to know what's on her mind. "Are you planning another embarrassing thing for me to do?"


Green eyes came back into focus to look at him. Kaitlyn offered a quick smile. "I was just thinking of what colors your gi would be. Usually two colors are used, since production of them is easier. I have a few suggestions of colors, want to hear them?" she replied.


Colors? She wanted to suggest a few colors to him? He had a feeling he didn't want to hear them, but for some reason maybe her color suggestions would amuse him some. Everything about her and this planet amazes me to no end. Their culture and way of life is different from what I've seen of it. Though those colors better not be stupid. Bardock crossed his arms and waited.


"I'm ready to hear them."


"Alright. Like I said before, only two colors are usually used. I thought about maybe green & black. Perhaps red and green? How about black and teal? Any other suggestions could be made as well."


His mouth clenched shut, his mind reeling with possibilities laid out before him. Having teal paired with anything didn't appeal to him. The colors red and green perhaps. Black maybe. The one color she didn't think about was yellow. The stripe of yellow on his armor certainly didn't go with any of the colors that his armor or his accessories contained. Besides he couldn't see himself wearing yellow. It reminded him of something that a female would wear. At this Bardock snorted.


Kaitlyn looked at him in a curious way. She wanted to know what the man was thinking. It was hard to tell Bardock's emotions. The only real way to determine was to read his body language and his face. Even that proved to be ineffective sometimes. The way how he kept his face in a neutral but stern look remained her of someone who has been through a lot. She hoped his son could be found so that he could be happy. Clearing her head of such thoughts Kaitlyn returned to the task at hand. She hoped her color options appealed or maybe he would suggest a new combination. The color she forgot to mention: yellow. A mental image of Bardock wearing that color made her shudder and didn't even dare to suggest it. Her eyes suddenly noticed that he had snorted. Something must have amused him.


"Bardock, you find something funny or did you come up with a combination to use for your gi?"


"Nothing you need to be concerned about." Bardock replied.


Kaitlyn stayed silent after the comment and decided that they needed help. It seemed to her that Bardock didn't want to tell her the color choices for his gi. Unless we make the gi have three colors: two main colors and a third color. That might cost more to make, but he might like that. Besides, I’m going to be paying for all of this anyway.


"Bardock, I'm getting help. I think he/she may be able to help us make a decision about what colors to use. Stay here and don't cause any trouble." Kaitlyn said.


Bardock watched Kaitlyn walk away. Hn. Stay out of trouble? What does she expect me to do then? Stand here?  She'd better not be too long in coming back or I'll go find her. He decided to check out the store to see if anything caught his eye. He really didn't expect anything to do that. Bardock walked over to the nearest display and glanced at the contents. From what he could tell, the gis had different combinations to them. He saw a top that looked similar to the he currently wore and the pant style that went with it. Interesting. Black eyes peered at more of them. This is how Kaitlyn found him.


“Well, Bardock here is our help.”


Bardock stared at the employee she had pointed out. A male human stood in front of him.


“Kaitlyn informed me of the current colors that you wear and I must say that is most interesting. It makes a combination tougher, but I am confident that we can find a solution that works for you.” The male employee stared at Bardock for a few moments, trying to get an idea or two.


Bardock found himself watching the employee look at him from head to toe, wondering if the human could really suggest something. He found that his tail twitched slightly the longer the human studied him. After what appeared to be a few minutes, the employee cleared his throat.


“I believe I have the color combination that may suite you.”


“Then let’s hear it.” Bardock stated, clearly amused at this statement.


“I think an emerald sleeveless jersey t-shirt (the kind you would wear under jerseys) would be perfect for the top. For the pants, black should work fine. As for your boots, I figured a red color (similar to your headband and gauntlets) with emerald tips on the top half of the boot would suffice since your current boots have that combination. Well? Would something like that work? Of course the material used for your gi would be of the best quality and material designed for fighting.”


Black eyes pondered the words the human spoke. He found himself burning the words to memory, so he could dwell on them better. Hmm, so it’s an emerald top with black pants, and red boots w/ emerald tips at the top like my current boots. Kaitlyn didn’t give this human any details to change my existing gauntlets, headband and no mention of a belt. I suppose I would have to see this material that the human is talking about before I make a final decision.


“Show the material you mentioned and I’ll make up my mind then.” Bardock spoke.


Kaitlyn stared at Bardock in a weird way because she didn’t think he would even take the employee’s suggestion! Her green eyes lit up at that thought. “Alright, you heard him. Show him the materials!” she said.


Bardock eyed the materials the employee mentioned and he touched each one to get an idea if it was worthy enough for him. He made no sound while he thought about his options. After a few more minutes he came to a decision.


“This material is fine for the top and this is fine for the pants. As for the boots, whatever is fine as long it is comfortable and able to last a long time.” He said.


“Ah! Good selection sir. Kaitlyn, shall we finish up the transaction?”


“Okay. Bardock, be patient a little while longer. We’re almost done in here and then we can head to pick some tools I need to fix your armor, ok?”


Bardock nodded; he let Kaitlyn and the male human continue on with final details. I have no desire to deal with that, this experience isn’t too bad, but still I wish she hadn’t talked me out of leaving my scouter behind in the car. I wanted to see how powerful these earthlings are. Eventually he felt a grip on his arm and he was led out of the store.


“Where’s this other store you need to get stuff from?”


“Not far. Come on.”


Kaitlyn kept her grip on him, knowing he wouldn’t like it. She stopped in front of the said store and released her grip. “Give me 20 minutes and I shall be done getting my stuff. Wait here and be good Bardock.” She stated firmly and went inside.


Bardock made a ‘humph’ sound and leaned against the wall near the store. I have no desire to draw attention to myself. Does she really think that? These earthlings are a strange bunch. He crossed his arms and waited. More time must have passed than he thought because Kaitlyn came out of the store w/ a couple of bags in her grasp.


Kaitlyn wondered if there was another reason to coming here besides looking for his son. He appeared to be a private person from what she observed. He didn’t seem willing to explain much else about him. But that is his business and not mine. If he don’t wish to share, then that’s fine.


“Okay, I’m done. By the way Bardock, are you hungry? We could stop by the food court to grab something to eat before returning to my place.”


“Hn. Let’s hope the food here impresses me.”


Once settled at a table, Kaitlyn explained to Bardock the various food shops that were in this area. She watched his expression during the entire conversation, trying to get an idea if he reacted to any of the suggestions. She wasn’t all that surprised when she didn’t get the kind of reaction she had hoped for. Well, I had to try. Always tough to get a true reaction unless you’re talking about his son. Hmm.


“Since this is the case, I’m going to bring you something and see if you like it Bardock. I’ll be right back.”


Bardock watched her set the two bags on her seat and head over to the various places that served food. So, she’s gonna surprise me. Considering she hasn’t told me when that shop will have my new clothing done yet, I am skeptical of this. I have no choice but to trust her and so far she’s doing alright. He wasn’t going to admit it to her or anyone else, but he did need something to eat. After waiting for what it seemed to him as a long time, Kaitlyn came back with a tray of food and a drink.


“Here you go Bardock, hope you enjoy it.” She said, setting the tray down in front of him.


Bardock eyed the food she had retrieved for him. He simply decided to trust her judgment and started eating.


Kaitlyn watched with both awe and shock as he devoured the food & drink faster than she had ever seen anyone do before. She stared at him in fascination. Wow. He ate it so fast. That has to be a world record. She watched his gaze wander over to her face. Then he spoke.


“Get more of this food immediately.”


“O-Oh okay. How much more?”


“As much as you can carry human.” came his reply.


The said human in question suddenly had an urge to sweatdrop completely. She hadn’t realized his appetite appeared to be bigger then she originally thought. How come he didn’t tell me something like this earlier! I have a feeling I am going to be making a few trips. In the end Kaitlyn appeared to be right. She spent about seven trips before Bardock had finally mentioned he was full.


“You sure Bardock?”


“Yes. We’re done shopping here and you can now work on my armor of mine. Plus, you will tell me when those new clothes of mine will be ready.” He said in a smug tone.


Kaitlyn recognized the tone in which he used. Reminded her of the first time they met and so on from there. A smirk graced her lips. “I don’t know Bardock; I might just take your scouter away as a punishment.”


Bardock’s eyes narrowed at this threat. He had already allowed his scouter to be left in the car, but he didn’t want her to mess around with it. She won’t be able to do anything with it. But the mere thought of allowing her to use it as research doesn’t appeal to me. However, her tone indicates that she may up to something. An idea suddenly just popped in his head and he went ahead with it.


“Kaitlyn.” Bardock suddenly got up from his seat and motioned for her to do that same. The surprised look on her face told him everything. She did however do just that. He checked to make sure that she had those bags of hers and proceeded to lock her arm with his. With much ease he started to steer them to the exit of the mall. He retraced his steps because he paid attention to those little details. It wasn’t until they reached the doors of the exit, did Kaitlyn finally manage to speak.


“You are so dead when we get home Bardock.” she muttered.


Bardock simply laughed and told her he looked forward for it. He said nothing else as they headed for the car. Once inside, he found the scouter she had taken from him and put it on. Once the car started on its way toward her house, he put on his famous smirk. He watched from a sideway glance that she didn’t appreciate the expression. Heh, I guess we’re even now. She takes my scouter away and we leave the mall since I no longer wish to be there.


Kaitlyn kept her mouth shut because of the rather interesting emotions running through her head. On one hand she was mad by the way Bardock pulled her out of the mall, but she smiled at how he remembered his way out of there! You wear that smirk like you’ve won and you’re probably right about that. You actually made me speechless for once Bardock. Amaya will be quite interested to know who managed to pull that on me. I’ll give her a call when we get back to my house.


Some time passed and they entered her driveway. Both of them got out, grabbed any bags, and stepped inside the house.


The first words out of Bardock’s mouth were, “When will my new clothing be ready?”


“In five days Bardock and no we don’t have to go to the mall to pick it up. I am having it delivered here.”


“I see.”


Dropping her bags in her workplace where his armor currently lay, Kaitlyn held her cell phone in her hand. She walked over to the answering machine and noticed a light blinking on it. Someone must have called. Let’s see who it is. She tapped the play button and was surprised to hear her sister’s voice. After it finished, she saved the message and turned back to Bardock who appeared to watching her.


“That was just my sister Amaya calling. Apparently she some big news to share with me over the phone. She didn’t even bother to tell me what it was. Just to simply call her. How typical of her.” Kaitlyn spoke.


Her sister? Then that means the rest of my vision will come true. Bardock suddenly got that feeling of joy he hadn’t thought since leaving Planet Vegeta to go after his son.


The cell phone in her hand swiftly started ringing after typing in her sister’s phone number. She pressed it against her ear when she heard the familiar voice pop on. “Hey Amaya, it’s your sister. You called and said you some big news to tell me?”


On the other end Amaya laughed. “Yes. You wouldn’t believe what I found earlier today.”


Yeah I have something too. Kaitlyn silently thought. “So, what is this big news…?”


“Well, I was listening to my iPod earlier when all of sudden I hear this loud shaking sound coming from outside. I go outside to investigate and to my surprise I find this white pod thing in a nice crater that apparently created when impacting the ground. The pod opens up suddenly and I gasped when I saw that someone was inside of it! It appeared to be a baby. It had black spiky hair and black eyes. And get this! It had a brown tail, can you believe that?!”


During their conversation Bardock listened intently for the mention of his son and finally got it. His eyes seemed to narrow. So her sister has my son. There’s no doubt about it.


Kaitlyn gripped the phone tightly as Amaya told her story. She felt her feet shift around, trying to get comfortable because of the excitement that had started building up inside her. Her eyes widened but then realized something: Bardock came in a similar craft. Those two must be from the same place wherever that is. But that kid has tail? I didn’t see a tail on Bardock, but that belt of his does look kind of strange if you ask me. She glanced over at Bardock, who had decided to stand near her so he could listen on to their conversation. He looked as though he was waiting to find out the location.


“Hey Bardock. This baby my sister is talking about, is that your son?” she asked while covering her phone so Amaya wouldn’t hear her or Bardock.


“Yes. Tell me where he is and we need to go there now.” He snapped curtly.


“Hey sis, you okay? You went silent on me.”


“I’m fine Amaya. So where are you at the moment?”


“I’m at Master Gohan’s house.”


Kaitlyn frowned for a second when she heard crying in the background. Bardock had heard it too.


“Sorry about that Kaitlyn, it appears that he is fussing at the moment. Talk to you soon then. Bye.”


“Good. Let’s go then.” Bardock stated firmly. He looked like he prepared to leave…


Kaitlyn tucked her cell phone away and crossed her arms. “Whoa, hold on there for a moment Bardock. You don’t have any idea where Master Gohan’s house and I do.”


“Humph.”


“ThatR 17;s what I thought. Come on, it’s time for another car ride.”


“No.” his voice sternly said.


“Why not?”


“My way is faster. Show me a map or whatever it’s called and I can get there easy. I’ve been waiting too long to see my son, so my patience is near its end.”


Something about a faster way triggered a previous conversation with him before heading to the mall. He had mentioned flying as the better option. It suddenly clicked. He means flying! I know he’s in a hurry to see his son, but how fast is he talking about…?


“You mean flying don’t you? How fast are you talking about Bardock?”


He gave her that smirk that always seemed to show how irritating he could be. “I guarantee that it will be faster than your car.”


Kaitlyn huffed in irritation and crossed her arms. “You know I hate that smirk Bardock. It gets me irritated easily. Since I doubt I will change your mind about it, I’m retrieving the map then.”


“Damn straight.” He muttered as she ran off to a different portion of the house. A minute later she came back with it.


Kaitlyn used the nearby table to lay the map on top and unrolled it. She first pointed at a spot on the map. “This is where my house is located.” Her finger then traced a path to another point. “This is where Master Gohan lives. His hut is near Mount Paozu, which is this mountain here. It shouldn’t be too hard to find it. So that means you travel in this direction I indicated by my finger.” She traced the path again. “Got it?” By his nod, she tucked the map away in her pocket.


Bardock studied the map when she had it out. He paid extra attention to the two points Kaitlyn provided him with. I see. When he nodded the map got safely tucked away. “You need to bring anything else with you? Because I’m not going to go back any time during the flight.”


He’s actually being considerate for once. How nice of him. “Nope.  Just need to lock the door. I always carry my house keys and cell phone on me. They’re just in my belt.” She pointed to the belt in question on her waist. Kaitlyn led Bardock outside, while locking the door. She threw him a look that signaled she was ready to leave.


Bardock eyed her for a more seconds. “You’re not afraid of heights, are you?”


“No.”


“Good.̶ 1; He smirked after that moment. Bardock scooped Kaitlyn up in his arms without saying a word to her and flew off.


-oo00oo-


Kaitlyn fumed internally when he gave no warning of their departure. But she should have realized by now he wasn’t going to stop this behavior. He had allowed her to circle her arms around his neck, which surprised her. He is difficult to judge. He can be nice when he wants to be. The breeze is rather pleasant. It feels nice being up here. I wonder if this part of what true freedom means.


Bardock noted how silent his companion appeared to be. She’s probably thinking to herself. Maybe she is actually enjoying herself. Heh. All she mentioned about the hut he recalled was simply it’s a hut. He could change the mood if he wanted to. He wondered how. Then the idea came to him. On the plus side it would get them there faster. Without warning Bardock sped up.


She had closed her eyes to fully experience the flight with all of her senses. Kaitlyn’s eyes snapped open when she felt the air shift suddenly. She flashed angry green eyes at him. “What are you doing?!” she demanded.


“Getting us there faster.” He retorted.


Kaitlyn opened her mouth to reply, but the view of a hut came into view.


Bardock saw it and slowed his speed to normal. He touched upon the ground. “Is this the place?”


He loves to torture me, doesn’t he? Wow, I wonder how long we took to get here. She heard him ask something and she turned her eyes toward the hut. “Yeah, that’s the one.” She confirmed.


She detached herself from him and settled on the ground. Kaitlyn went on ahead with Bardock following. Her hand knocked soundly against the door, loud enough for the occupants inside to hear.


-oo00oo-


When Amaya and Master Gohan heard the knock on his door, both were genuinely surprised.


Wow. She must have known some nice shortcuts to get here so fast. Kaitlyn must be more excited than I anticipated about seeing Goku.


Hmm. That sure was fast of her. I usually thought that Kaitlyn takes her time with things, but with what Amaya told her; I’m not surprised that she wanted to get here faster.


Amaya slid the door open to reveal her sister and another person! Her brown eyes narrowed at the man. W-Who is the hell is he?! I didn’t realize Kaitlyn had brought a guest. He looks handsome and well-built though. He must train daily or something.


“I didn’t realize you had a guest sis. Why didn’t you tell me over the phone about him?”


A nervous laugh erupted from Kaitlyn. “Can we at least come in first? He is Bardock by the way.”


The two of them were allowed inside. Bardock eyed Kaitlyn’s sister, than the older man who still appeared to be studying him. That elder human must be a master of something. He decided to cut to the chase.


“Where is my son?!” he demanded.


Master Gohan studied Bardock. I don’t sense evil from him, but he sure is a strange one. He looks strong and appears to have been fighting previously. I can see the evidence. What is that thing he’s wearing over his eye? This guy has a history as evident by his scar. This I can tell. Bardock’ sudden words had him shocked. There was only one explanation for that kind of talk.  That would mean he is that baby’s father!


Huh? Why would he demand that? That would mean I’ve been taking care of his son this whole time! Oh wow! Amaya clapped her hands in excitement.


“Is this true Kaitlyn? That he really is this baby’s father?!”


Kaitlyn sighed when Bardock issued his latest request without thinking. To a lot of people that would be rude. I wonder what Master is thinking, he hasn’t said a word yet. This means he is gauging Bardock and deciding if he is trustworthy. Amaya doesn’t seem to be too worried about that fact.


“He is and I believe him. I know he loves his son by his determination to the little tyke. That alone proves it.”


“I agree. I can tell you have that drive Bardock. Your son is in the bedroom in the back; if you wish to see him now.” Master Gohan stated.


Bardock wasted no time in heading there, which left the trio staring at each other.


“You plan on giving us details Kaitlyn…?”


“Of course. Let’s leave Bardock alone for a while. This is now his private moment.”


Kaitlyn began her tale.


-oo00oo-


Bardock stepped inside the room the human had indicated and his breath slowed down when he saw his son. He slowly walked over to where his son lay, apparently sleeping. Hmm. I wonder why the Saiyan instincts haven’t shown themselves yet. Usually when someone is sent to another planet to conquer it, a saiyan isn’t exactly easy to handle. Maybe because Kakarot hasn’t been exposed to a moon yet. But that triggers our ape transformation. I need to ask if this planet has a moon. But for the moment


He scooped up his son in his arms. He wondered if maybe Kakarot recognized him because his tail curled around his finger. Finally he got to hold his son. He stared at the sleeping bundle that was in his arms. Bardock wore a small smile, one he wouldn’t let anyone else see. He had his image to live up to and he wasn’t about to get soft anytime time soon. For the first time in a long while, he uncurled his own tail and let it relax. Of course no one here is going to pull my tail if I have anything to say about that. He looks just like me. So what am I going to do about this planet? This backwater planet doesn’t appear to be too bad, but I haven’t seen all of it yet. My son was sent here to take it over and I’m sure eventually someone in the future will ask why this planet hasn’t been taken over. I can worry about that later. Pfft. Fasha, maybe you did make a good point after all by telling me to see my son. It felt more right to after him. It’s sad that you and the others can’t share this moment with me. You guys were my comrades after all. A rarity within our species.


“Don’t think I’m going soft though. I am merely wishing for you guys to see him. Now’s the time to ask if this planet has a moon.”


Bardock peered out the window, he didn’t see one yet. Afterwards he noticed Kakarot shifted and he opened his eyes. Small black eyes peered back at him. He even has my eyes. He curled his tail back around his waist like a belt and left the room in search of the others.


-oo00oo-


“So Bardock came in a ship just like Goku. Did you study his ship yet?” Amaya asked.


“No. I was more concerned about him then his ship. Like I said, I think he is still but refuses to tell me about it. He appears to be rather stubborn about things like that. Besides I’m just glad that he found his son.” Kaitlyn responded.


“Judging by how everything has gone so far, he hasn’t told you anything about his life or any stuff like it?” Master Gohan said.


Kaitlyn shook her head. “Nope. His most pressing concern was for his son, which I can give him credit for.”


“I see. Maybe he will say something now that he accomplished his mission.”


“Maybe you can tell if this planet has a moon.” Bardock interjected himself in the conversation.


Three heads turned toward him and they noticed that Goku lay in his arms.


“To answer your question Bardock, yes this planet has a moon.”


Bardock looked away from the trio. He had some decision making to do. As I suspected it might. If Kakarot sees this moon, his ape form will be out of control and he could do massive damage. If perhaps he were old enough, I could teach him to control it. But this is why they send babies to other planets, to kill off the population so the planet can be sold later. Do I want something like that to happen to this planet…? Black eyes seemed to narrow at the last comment. He had that gut feeling that he didn’t want to. This kind of feeling was new to him, the feeling to save this planet from an untimely demise. He made up his mind.


“Due to certain circumstances, I believe the best option at this point would to blow up your moon.” Bardock suddenly announced.




Heh. I’m just going to end it there. Hope you enjoyed it. Any comments, questions, suggestions, etc. are always welcome.


White Phoenix

Converting /tmp/phpEC6b4L to /dev/stdout