Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dragonball Z Lives On: The Lidal Saga ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 1

For a time living has been peaceful

And just now we learn surprising news

That brings us great joy

But with this joy comes great trouble.

After living over a year with Kya, Piccolo had become pretty familiar with her ki. Therefore, he noticed right away when it changed. It was early in the morning, just after dawn. She was busy making breakfast for him and herself at the time, while he was meditating on the roof of the cottage where they lived. It was the very same cottage that stood at the edge of the meadow where the Chi trained. It had been renovated so they could live in it. Byrn and Embyr were foraging for their own breakfast in the forest nearby. They preferred living in the forest instead of the cottage and sometimes they wouldn't see the mini-dragons for days at a time. That was alright. Piccolo and Kya enjoyed their privacy.

Whenever he was meditating or training, Piccolo always felt comforted and reassured by the feel of Kya's presence in the back of his mind. It was nice to know where his bondmate was and what she was doing all the time. If he wanted, all he had to do was concentrate, and it was as if her body was his own body, his own eyes that moved and saw. But Kya preferred that he did not invade very often. She preferred talking out loud with him, unless he was not there. Then she preferred thought speech. And he found that he preferred that way as well.

Piccolo frowned as he got a better sense of Kya's life energy. He didn't know how it happened or why but somehow it had changed, just slightly. If he didn't know any better, he would have sworn he could sense two lives within her, her own and another's. Concerned and puzzled, he left the roof and landed silently on the ground. Swiftly he entered the cottage and stopped short, a little surprised. He wasn't sure what he expected exactly but he wasn't expecting to see Kya fine and doing something as ordinary as making oatmeal. Hmmm. So she hasn't noticed.

Piccolo studied Kya as she moved about the kitchen, unsure of what to say without alarming her. She looked pretty in her new look. She no longer wore the tunic and body suit. Instead she wore a sleeveless blood red dress that fell to her ankles and underneath a white shirt with baggy sleeves. But her feet were still bare. That was one habit he could never break her out of. Kya said it was comforting to feel the earth under her feet, which was one reason she avoided cities and didn't fly often. She preferred instead to fly in his arms. He didn't mind. He preferred having her in his arms, where he could keep her safe.

Feeling his presence, Kya paused her cooking to glance at him. Upon seeing his face, she turned completely around, scrutinizing him worriedly. "Is something wrong, Piccolo?"

Piccolo felt her mind gently prodding his but she was too polite to go any further than the surface. Her expression of worry deepened when she felt his slight puzzlement and concern. She looked at him questionably.

Piccolo cleared his throat. "Have you felt any different lately? I mean, ill or just strangely?"

Kya frowned. "No, I've felt fine. Great actually. I've been feeling rather energetic and spirited lately. Why, Piccolo? What is it?"

Piccolo's frown deepened. Now that she mentioned it, she had been rather active and cheerful lately. In fact, she was almost positively glowing this morning. And this description triggered something in his memory. He looked at Kya, who was patiently waiting for an answer.

Piccolo decided to be blunt. "I can sense a second life energy within you."

Kya was taken aback by his answer. She looked down at herself in shock and reverently placed both her hands upon her abdomen. "Are you sure?"

"Yes." Piccolo was confused by what he read in her mind. Shock, awe, and surprisingly, joy. "Do you know why?"

"Oh Piccolo." The way she said his name was infused with love and gladness. She stepped forward and took his hands in hers, placing them on her abdomen. "The only reason you would be able to sense a second life within me is if I am pregnant."

"Pregnant?" Piccolo's mind seemed to freeze upon that one word. Pregnant.

Kya's smile was bright with amusement. "Yes. Pregnant. As in, I'm going to have a baby. As in, we're going to be parents. I'm going to be a mother. And you're going to be a father."

Piccolo remained silent, unresponsive and motionless. After a few moments, she hesitantly reached up to stroke his cheek. "Piccolo? Are you all right? Do . . . do you not want to have a child?"

Piccolo looked down at her, a smile beginning to creep across his face. "No. No, Kya. I want to have a child. Very much."

He opened his mind to her, revealing the happiness and wonderment he felt at the thought of being a father. Kya relaxed, feeling deeply reassured by the feelings she sensed within him. Piccolo slipped his arm around her and tilted her head up. Swiftly he brought his lips down upon hers in a slow, deep sensuous kiss that left them both panting. Forgetting breakfast, he lifted her into his arms and took her to their bedroom where they had their own private little celebration.

They did not emerge from their bedroom 'til noon and by then the oatmeal that had been on the stove was burned beyond recognition, utterly inedible. Kya threw it out and instead made herself and Piccolo sandwiches for lunch. As they finished up, Kya voiced a concern.

"I really should be checked over by a doctor, Piccolo. But I don't know how a doctor would react to a Namek baby . . ." Kya trailed off, looking at him with worried eyes.

Piccolo looked at his bondmate. She was worried about something else besides the baby's health. "We'll go see Bulma. She should be able to handle it." What are you really worried about, Kya?

Kya started at his mental question. She looked at him and then sighed. Unable to express it in words, she opened her mind to his so he would be able to understand. Piccolo frowned. She was afraid. She was afraid the baby would be born without a Shizen marking. That it would be evil, like Frieza. That Frieza had been born evil because of her, not because of his father. Piccolo sighed. Oh, Kya. She looked at him, tears threatening to spill from her eyes. In one quick movement, Piccolo had his arms around her and her face was buried into his chest.

Kya, Kya, Kya. You are good. And our baby will be good. King Kold was evil and so were his children. I know you will probably worry 'til it's born but know that I have no doubts about this. Placing a kiss atop her head, he said aloud, "The most evil he will probably ever do is cry all night, making it impossible to get any sleep."

A tear sneaked its way down Kya's cheek but was ignored as she gave a little smile. Thank you Piccolo. "Alright. Let's go see Bulma."

Far away, in another place . . .

High in the sky, a strange swirling light appeared, looking almost like a portal. And out of it stepped a being unlike any on the planet had ever seen. With the grace and snootiness of a spoiled princess, she floated away from the portal, carefully making sure her feet didn't touch the ground. The way her eyes swung over the landscape, it appeared she was searching for something.

So intent was she on searching, she did not notice a second person exit from the portal. The portal closed as soon as a white dragon exited, chirping concern over this second arrival, who had landed in a heap upon the ground. Picking herself up, she did not see the first woman that was already out of sight. Neither did the dragon, who settled itself on the strange woman's shoulder, still chirping a slight concern. The woman sighed, patted the dragon's head, and took to the air, beginning her own search.

The future is closer than you think

It is singing softly to us

Trying to tell of a distant fate

But its voice is too soft to be heard.

Author: Not bad for a beginning, eh? Don't forget to check out the timeline and my new fanart!