Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dragonball Z: The Android Threat ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Considering I'd `kind of died' only a few hours ago I felt very…alive.
 
I was currently sat on the edge of a small bed in the medical bay of Capsule Corp., inspecting my fingers carefully. I could see every line, every strand of hair… even the tiny specks of dirt that me realise I really needed to shower. My senses were all working over time, perhaps it was a side effect of almost being dead? I breathed in deeply and savoured the many smells, I was even able to pick up the scent of Bulma's perfume even though she was off analysing something or other in another room. Trunks however, was leaning against the wall opposite me, and even though I wasn't paying attention to him I could still feel his fixed on me.
 
“Something wrong?” he asked when I sighed heavily, enjoying the sensation of my muscles relaxing as I exhaled.
 
I looked up, seeing his blue eyes as clearly as I could they sky from the windows, “No… excluding the fact that I almost died I guess, I'm just chipper!” I tried to smile brightly, but my attempt was thwarted as he continued to stare at me with his usual unreadable expression.
 
“You know, you're making me nervous keeping staring at me like that”
 
For a few moments there was a tense silence between us, Trunks remained impassive and unmoving as I quirked my eyebrow questioningly. I opened my mouth to speak but no sound passed my lips as Trunks suddenly moved toward me, using his enhanced speed to close the gap between us in less then a millisecond before leaning forward and placing his lips firmly against mine.
 
I couldn't describe the feelings that ran through me as he slipped his tongue between my lips, stroking my own with both gentleness and a hungered wanting. I sat where I was, completely stunned at his actions before my mind seemed to function once more and I raised one hand to the back of his head, tangling it into his now long hair as he wrapped an arm around my waist and lifted me effortlessly to my feet.
 
The kiss deepened as I began to respond. The fact that I had been dressed in gown resembling a long shirt made of tissue didn't seem to matter as Trunks' hands ventured down my back. My own hands had removed themselves from his hair and were hungrily stroking across his chest. His hand found my tail, and where I usually despised it being touched I felt a wave of pleasure run up my spine when his fingertips brushed across it lightly. Our lips parted as I let out a gasp of surprise, one that shattered the moment quickly.
 
I stepped back so I was pushed against the edge of the bed, breathing deeply with my eyes wide and fixed on the man in front of me. His chest, which I had been caressing only seconds ago, was heaving with his own laboured breathing.
 
“What…just… what?” I panted.
 
Suddenly the door slid open and Bulma entered, smiling widely, “Good news Lani, everything's normal… is something wrong?”.
 
She looked from me to Trunks, who was standing only about a meter away from me. Thankfully our breathing had returned to normal and I prayed the pick flush I'd had was now fading from my cheeks.
 
“Yeah… I just felt a little dizzy again”
 
“Sit down then!” she frowned, gesturing at the bed behind me. I obeyed, carefully avoiding Trunks' gaze as I pulled the paper-like gown as far down my thigh's as I could.
 
“The others are all waiting to see you, they just got back. I'll go get them”
 
“I'll go” Trunks interrupted, and left the room before his mother could argue.
 
Bulma fixed me with a curios look that would have once made me blush with guilt, but oddly my body seemed to take over and my face remained passive, not giving away the fact that my heart was still pounding at a million beats a second!
 
Without a word she passed me a long white nightgown to put on before anyone else entered, I was just tying the sash as several familiar faces entered the room. In first came my uncle, hair still bright yellow as he maintained his super saiyan form. I didn't have time to so much as smile reassuringly before I found myself being pulled into a bone crushing hug by him.
 
“Goku… need oxygen… can't breath!” I gasped.
 
“Whoops!” He pulled back quickly but held me at arms length while he studied me. I smiled nervously under his scrutiny.
 
Over his shoulder I could see Piccolo watching me intensely with Gohan stood by his side, looking very pale and biting his lip anxiously.
 
“What's up kiddo?” I grinned.
 
“Did you really die?” he asked quietly.
 
I looked to Bulma, since I didn't really understand myself what had happened.
 
“Her heart stopped for a few seconds that's all, I'm not really sure what caused it. For all I know you had a heart attack or something” she sighed exasperatedly.
 
“Potential heart attack. No biggy” I winked.
 
“I thought only old people got heart attacks Bulma?” Goku questioned as he scratched his head in confusion.
 
Bulma rolled her eyes, “Not really. Poor health, obesity, intense stress… they can all cause heart attacks in people of all ages. But I can't see why Lani would experience something like that”
 
“Look” I said as cheerfully as I could, “I feel fine now. Maybe it's to do with Shigeru and the Cell Games and everything”
 
“I think it might be a good idea to stay here for a while though” Bulma began, “I was thinking just now, you're half saiyan and half some other alien. Perhaps you did catch Goku's heart virus but your mother's DNA meant you reacted differently?”
I sat back on the bed and frowned, “How long until the Cell Games?” I questioned.
 
“Three more days, but I hope you're not thinking of entering now” Piccolo's gruff voice was almost as dangerous as the expression on his face as he stared at me intently.
 
“Why not?”
 
“What do you mean why not?” he snapped.
 
Normally I'd have flinched at his tone, but instead and shrugged it off and turned to Bulma, “You want to run some tests and stuff that's fine but Goku, if they all come back fine then can I enter?”
 
After all, Goku was my official sensei. Only he had the right to tell me what I could or could not do. I watched as he scratched his head idly and frowned.
 
“We'll see”
 
My tail twitched behind me, the only sign of my agitation as I kept my face neutral, “Fine. Where's Trunks gone anyway?”
 
“Up on the roof I think” Gohan informed, still looking very worried.
 
I clucked my tongue in an annoyed fashion. He was probably up there fretting about the kiss we'd just shared, no doubt coming up with some excuse to forget it and move on. Well I wasn't going to go after him and beg otherwise, he kissed me after all so, so he held all the responsibility as far as I could see.
 
“Goku, did you get a new guardian?” I asked suddenly.
 
“Yeah… sure, why?”
 
“So we've dragonballs again?”
 
“I know what you're thinking Lani and Shigeru had been gone too long to-”
 
“Actually Piccolo,” I interrupted, “I just wanted to see if the dragon could tell me what happened to him… or if I could maybe speak to him once more…”
 
Goku placed a large hand on my shoulder and smiled warmly, though I could already see the answer in his eyes, “Lani, we're going to need the wishes to fix all the damage Cell has done. And I don't think the dragon would allow for you to speak with him now, he's been gone too long and there's no special reason…”
 
“You mean he never saved the world like you” I cut in, “Ok, that's fine. I just wanted to check”. My reaction caused a frown to appear on Piccolo's face, he obviously thought I'd keep pushing for my wish but I knew there was no use. I'd just find another way to ask the dragon…
 
“Bulma, let's get testing” I declared, jumping from my seat. My mood suddenly demanded I be left alone by the others, “Well, you want to watch me get pocked and prodded or do you have somewhere else to be? You know, preparing for the end of the world?”
 
Goku smiled, not picking up on my forced cheeriness, “Oh yeah, Chi Chi'll be relieved your ok. She'll probably come see you once I've told her you're awake”
 
I reached up into my hair suddenly, unconsciously searching for my gold ribbon. It was still there. I smiled as the smooth cloth ran through my fingers, “Good. Tell her I can't wait to see her”.
 
X
 
I'd had CAT scans, MRI scans, X-Rays, blood tests, tests where you have to follow the light at the end of the pen and when they knock you on your knees… and they were all fine. Perfectly so in fact.
 
“There's no trace of the heart virus in your system Lani… Kami, I just don't know what happened!”
 
“Does it matter? It's over now” I said as I pulled on some fresh clothes.
 
Bulma was pacing her lab madly, flipping through chart after chart, “What if it happens again?”
 
“Stick another needle in my heart” I shrugged.
 
The chart suddenly went flying across the room as Bulma threw her hands up in the air in defeat, “Next to my dad I'm the best scientist on this planet! I'm going to keep looking until I figure out what happened… maybe it's because all the tests are designed for humans and you're not human at all”
 
As true as that was it still hurt to hear. The phrase, `to be human' meant more then what DNA you had to the people of Earth. I had heard on many occasions about people committing monstrous crimes and thus having their `humanity' questioned. But I shrugged my red jacket on and fixed my boots before turning to Bulma, “Can I go now?”
 
“Huh… yeah sure. But I need to run more tests later”
 
I was out of the door before she could finish her sentence, my mind already locked on to Trunks' Ki signal. He'd remained on the roof during the hours I'd been tested in the lab and I was eager to speak with him. I hopped out of the nearest open window and floated upwards, the purple haired young man was facing away from me as I landed neatly on the roof and didn't turn to greet me either. With a sigh of frustration I walked over to his hunched body and sat beside him, crossing my legs and placing my hands in my lap.
 
“Us and roofs…” I said casually, “We've got a theme going on here”
 
“Lani-”
 
“I know Trunks. This is where you tell me that kiss was a mistake and we need to forget about it-”
 
His fingers gripped me under my chin and turned my face to his, and once more his lips were upon mine, my mind went blank save for a little voice in my head cheering madly. My eyes closed as he gently placed his on the back of my head, his fingers weaving through my hair. This kiss was not as hurried as the last, the slow pace he was setting was both making my heart flutter and driving me wild with desire. I desperately needed air but was too afraid that if I stopped the moment would be lost again, though that was taken out of my hands when Trunks leaned back from me, his hand sliding out of my hair as he went.
 
I licked my lips nervously as he looked away from me and back out to the sky, I could still taste him there. He pulled his legs up to his chest and rested his arms on his knee's before speaking, “Neither of those kisses were mistakes and I don't want to forget them… but I think it should stop there” he said quietly.
 
I inhaled deeply, picking up his scent in the air as I did so. Words escaped me at that moment, possibly for the first time ever I was speechless. How was it that he always managed to throw me like this?
 
Trunks turned his head to look me in the eyes, “What happened to you?”
 
I swallowed, “I'm not sure. I just know that I feel… different now”
 
My hand twitched as I subconsciously thought of the small contraption in my pocket. Bulma hadn't realized there was anything in my pockets when she's changed me into the gown so it was still there, warm against my thigh.
 
“When my mother said your heart had stopped… well I never thought anything could be worse then the moment I realized Cell had beat me. Guess I was wrong” his eyes were boring into mine, blue meeting red as I tried to think of something to say.
 
“Trunks…”
 
Nothing came to me. No words of comfort, no silly jokes… something inside of me was dying to share with him my dream, my sneaking suspicion that Shigeru had been up to something, and the fact that he had definitely been keeping secrets from me. But what was the point? Three more days and the Cell games would be over, we'd either be dead and then nothing would matter, or he would be gone… for good.
 
I stared back at him, taking in every feature. The way the crinkle in his brow disappeared when he smiled, the fact this is bottom lip was ever so slightly thinner then his top one… I pulled the ribbon from my hair and wound it around my fingers a few times as I considered what I was about to do. I looked to my side and found Trunks watching me, sadness evident in his eyes. I bundled the ribbon up and placed it firmly in one of his hands.
 
“I'm fine now” I said simply, leaving the cloth between his fingers as I pulled my own back onto my lap. He closed his fist around it tightly and nodded, an unspoken understanding formed between us. We'd remember each other even if we could never be with together. Even for a little while.
 
X
 
During the last few days leading up to the Cell Games I had decided to give Goku and Chi Chi time alone together since Gohan was spending the time at the Lookout with the new guardian, Dende. Bulma had been more then happy for me to stay at Capsule Corp. which meant she had been constantly after samples of this or a quick scan of that. But with nothing better to do I had gone along with her wishes whenever she wanted me in the lab for an examination, growing more and more confident that she would never figure out what was wrong with me. Well there wasn't really anything wrong… but as time wore on I had a strange feeling my little experience was to do with the watch Shigeru had given me. Of course it wasn't a `watch' but it needed a name and that was the only thing it really looked like.
 
I'd seen Trunks a few times over the days but he spent most of his spare time at the Lookout as well. I was rather unwilling to go up there as I knew Piccolo would only stare at me endlessly or ask awkward questions. I couldn't explain why but I just didn't want to share with them my strange experience with the voices. Partially because, well, I'd been hearing voices! In Earth terms, that generally meant `crazy'.
 
One thing that bothered me was the fact that Piccolo was aware of my watch, and as my memories of the day in the field had steadily come back to me I realised he'd asked me to go to the Lookout before I passed out, and to bring it with me. Did he suspect something? Perhaps he'd taken a look while I was unconscious? I had studied the watch a few more times since and concluded that there was no way he could have switched it with any other device, the carvings were just too… alien… to be faked. But he did have some rather odd powers after all…
 
And I hadn't had any more `experiences' since either. I was thankful that I wasn't spontaneously dying anymore, but I also had a desire to do it again. Just to see if it had actually happened. Unfortunately I'd found it more and more difficult to recall what the voices had told me, and I daren't write it down anywhere should someone should find it and think I'd really gone mad!
 
On the morning of the Cell games I woke up as the sun began to rise, spreading an ominous reddish tinge across the sky. It felt like any other day as I showered and dressed, choosing to wear my usual black pants, boots and a white long-sleeve with a black shirt over the top. My hair was in its usual plait, minus the ribbon of course. I missed having the piece of material woven into my hair but part of me made me feel closer to Trunks, knowing he was miles away but still had that small part of me with him.
 
Chi Chi had noticed I no longer wore it, and although she didn't say anything I think she realized where'd it'd gone. She could be loud and brash at times, but perhaps that was a side effect of having to look after two saiyan males.
 
I stood on the roof of Capsule Corp. and took in the sight on the city against the clear sky. It was strange to think that today could be the last day that people would wake up next to the people they cared about, would share their breakfast with them, hold them, tell them they loved them… surely on a day like this the sky should be grey with rain clouds, perhaps accompanied by the flashes of lightening as we were about to fight to the death. But the beauty of the day was something that I wanted to engrave into my mind forever, this is the way it should be. Clear skies and a fresh breeze against my face marked not the end of the world, but the fight so save it.
 
After all; even the smallest chance is still a chance, as my young cousin had told me.
 
X
 
Vegeta had already taken off, which meant the rest of us save Yamcha, Tien and Chaotzu were all waiting for Goku to arrive. I sat beside Krillen as everyone else spoke quietly, reminding me of how one might behave at a funeral.
 
“Hey Lani, heard you've had a rough few days” he said desolately.
 
“I guess. Don't take this the wrong way but you really don't look like you want to be here”
 
Krillen shrugged, “I'm not going to stand a chance… but I'm human and this is my home. I should be there at the end, no matter what. Plus I think I owe it to everyone after what I did…”
 
I frowned, “What you did?”
 
A sigh escaped his lips, “Crushing the controller. I let Cell absorb Eighteen, so it's my fault we're all here today when this could have been over ages ago if I'd only-”
 
I shoved him firmly, causing him to topple over.
 
“What was that for!”
 
“Quit drowning in self-pity. Things might be different if you'd deactivated her, but we've all made a mistake along the line that hasn't helped any”
 
He rubbed his arm gingerly as he pondered my words, “I guess it's too late to worry about it now after all. You're awfully happy considering we're about to face off with Cell, wait has Goku told you something? Do you know why he's been so relaxed about this whole Cell thing?”
 
I frowned, “He has? I don't know I was unconscious for almost four days…”
 
Krillen's face fell, “Like uncle like niece then, I can't see how the pair of you can be so calm”
 
I shrugged. What could I say, I was ready for whatever happened next. Gohan sat down on my other side quietly, clearly nervous, so I threw my arm around his shoulder just like that day in the tree and whispered, “There's always a small chance kiddo”.
 
He nodded, a smile gracing his features.
 
Piccolo turned from his conversation with Dende and Trunks so face us, “Goku's on his way” he declared. Sure enough, not a moment later, Goku appeared beside us all in his usual fighting outfit.
 
“Today's the day” he said. A rather ominous `hello' if you ask me… “Where's Vegeta?” he asked.
 
“He's gone ahead already” Piccolo explained.
 
“He must be really pumped up after all his training, so what levels he at?”
 
Krillen, Gohan and I all stood up to join Piccolo, Dende and Trunks. However no one answered Goku's question and he frowned in confusion.
 
“What's with the silent treatment?” he joked.
 
“Goku, we have a bit of a problem with the dragonballs” Piccolo began, “Unlike on Namek, this dragon cannot revive anyone who has died before”
 
My mind ran back to the stories I'd been told by Goku about his previous adventures and I ticked off everyone who had ever died before, which included almost all of the group save Gohan, Trunks and myself.
 
“Relax!” Goku laughed, “No one's going to die ok”
 
“Hello? We're fighting Cell here! How can you say that?” Krillen demanded, looking stricken at Goku's calm reaction to the news.
 
“Just take it easy guys! Oh and Lani, Bulma said she couldn't figure out what was wrong so I guess if you want to come I can't stop you can I?”
 
“You can only try” I grinned.
 
“Well, let's go then or we're going to be late!” Goku announced as though he were off to a dinner party.
 
I smiled at the shocked faces of everyone beside me as he turned his back on them to take off. They really thought he'd gone mad! But Goku obviously had a reason to be so confident, and all we could do was trust him. I figured he'd earned that at least. As he powered up and jumped into the sky I was the first to follow and was hit by a feeling of déjà vu as I remembered leaving the Son household before going to first fight the androids. It seemed like an age ago though in truth it had only been two weeks. I slowed down to fly between Gohan and Krillen as we all lined up begin Goku, like soldiers following their leader into battle. I just hoped Goku really did know what he was doing.
 
X
 
In the three years I had been on Earth I had never really had much interaction with humans other then the Z fighters. So when Hercule Satan and his band of `martial artists' showed up at the tournament… well I almost lost all respect for humanity.
 
These people had no idea what power was.
 
We all stood dumbfounded by the display before us. From a large pink helicopter in the sky two men and a female landed in the arena, proceeding to perform a series of poses and what I could only describe as a sort of… dance routine… to introduce themselves as students of Mr Satan. One of the males was very large and displayed his strength by crushing his heavy metal helmet, I could already tell his speed would leave him at a massive disadvantage due to his size even if he weren't such a weakling. The second male had long blonde hair and a rather handsome face, he was dressed in all white with a rose emblazoned across the chest.
 
“Must be national goofball day” Krillen muttered under his breath.
 
The blonde man made his way to the edge of the arena and was looking down at us all with something like disgust on his features. Until he reached me of course.
 
“Well now, what's a pretty thing like you doing in a place like this hmm?”
 
I quirked one eyebrow up at his sickeningly silky voice, “I just asked myself the same thing” I replied.
 
He smirked, flicking his hair out of his eyes in what he clearly thought was an attractive manner, “Surely a defenceless woman like yourself shouldn't be out here, perhaps once I've taken care of this beast I could… escort you home”
 
Krillen was trying hard to subdue his laughter behind me, I made a mental note to hit him later.
 
“Sure, ok” I shrugged.
 
“Lani! What the… the guys a moron!” Krillen exclaimed.
 
“Me? Defenceless?” I said as he walked away from us to his master, “If Cell doesn't kill him I think I will”
 
Krillen burst into laughter once more and I grinned, coming here wasn't as bad as I thought It'd be, at least we had some entertainment!
 
I cast a sideways look at Trunks who was glaring at the man who'd propositioned me. The murderous glint in his eye made me smile as I turned back to the arena where a young woman with auburn hair and a very revealing outfit was wandering around and spewing some nonsense about the two men's `strength'. I looked back at Trunks with a twinge of unease to find his murderous glare replaced by… well his usual unreadable expression, but that usually meant he had something to hide and I was sure he wasn't looking Mr Satan or the elephant man up and down like that.
 
I huffed loudly and cross my arms across my chest. Maybe that Koroni wasn't so bad… if he was kept gagged or something…
 
I fixed my eyes back on the arena to where the TV presenter was now declaring that Koroni would be first to fight.
 
“There goes your new boyfriend Lani. Let's see what he's made of” he teased.
 
I smacked him on the back on his shiny head. Hard.
 
Sure enough, in less then twenty seconds, Koroni had been send flying into the air and was now unconscious on the other side of the ring. I rolled my eyes as Krillen snickered loudly. Next up was the elephant man, who's name I hadn't bothered listening for, and once more he was pushed effortlessly over the edge of the arena purely by Cell's energy.
 
“This is what planet Earth has to offer?” I sighed, “You know, if Goku had landed here all those years ago you guys would be screwed”
 
With his two students out of action Mr Satan stepped into the ring next, removing something from the inside of his shirt as he went.
 
Krillen shook his head at the man, “What the hell is he doing?” he muttered.
 
Our supposed saviour went on to crush fourteen concrete tiles with one hand, clearly under the impression that this was some magnificent display of power.
 
“You know… I'm ashamed for our species” Krillen said weakly.
 
“Don't look so sad” I smiled, “Look, Cell's about to kill him!”
 
“Lani!” Goku said disapprovingly.
 
“I was kidding!”
 
Well not really. But this guy really needed to be shown a few thing's about strength, even if Cell was the one to do it. After several minutes of making various sounds and poses which only served to waste time and energy, as well as making him look like a fool, Mr Satan was finally flung from the ring with a slap from Cell. A fitting end I felt.
 
“Looks like this is” Goku said confidently, placing one foot on the arena.
 
I watched my uncle calmly walk up to the creature that had caused so much mayhem, so much pain for the people of Earth…
 
I turned to look at Android Sixteen who had arrived before us, now sporting the Capsule Corp. logo on his chest plate. It was hard to understand how this android had chosen the side of good over evil when all of his counterparts has relished in the destruction they'd created. But now was the time for pay back, as Goku and Cell began what may be Earth's final fight for survival.
 
X
 
Disclaimer: I own no rights to the series Dragonball Z or its characters/places. Copyright to Akira Toriyama.