Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dragonball Z: The Android Threat ❯ The End ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

My hand was stroking across Trunks' bare chest, I could feel the soft beat of his heart beside my ear as I lent my head against his shoulder. His own hand was running lines up and down my back lightly, making me shiver when he reached the dip in my lower back. A rather sensitive area of mine, we had discovered. He kissed my forehead lightly and I could hear him breathe in the scent of my hair, I found myself very glad I'd used the good shampoo when I'd showered earlier.
 
“You ok?”
 
His voice was soft and sleepy, it made me smile uncontrollably as I thought about what had just happened between us.
 
“Yeah… I just… never thought it could be like that”
 
His hand pulled me closer to his body and I wrapped my arms around him tightly, unwilling to think about anything other then here and now. I nuzzled against him and sighed, “I wish we'd done this sooner” I whispered.
 
“I didn't think I had had the courage to err… initiate it. Especially with Goku and Piccolo watching over you like a pair of bodyguards” he chuckled.
 
“Well you have Chi Chi to thank” I smiled warmly.
 
“Lani… let's not go thinking about anyone else when we're in such a compromising position shall we”
 
I laughed and nudged him playfully, “Well you mentioned Piccolo and Goku! I just meant… she made me realise how big a mistake we could have made…”
 
Two hours ago…
 
I landed silently on the balcony of Trunks' room, my heart was pounding so hard I swear it was trying to leap from my chest. I slid open the glass doors and stepped inside the darkened room which was lit only by a lamp beside the bed. I could see a patch of light coming from under the bathroom door and the sound of running water me my sensitive ears.
 
Nervously, I ran my hands through my hair, it probably looked a mess after flying so madly to get here. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea… I could just turn and leave and he'd never know-
 
“Lani?”
 
Crap.
 
“Hey Trunks”
 
Double crap.
 
He was stood in his black pants… and that was all. His hair was still damp from his bath and he was towel drying it as he looked at me with surprise. I noticed something wrapped around his left bicep.
 
“My ribbon…” I said dumbly.
 
He glanced down at the wet cloth and blushed, “Thought I'd keep it safe… did you want it back?”
 
I shook my head, what was I supposed to say? Well I guess that depended on what I wanted to happen… wait, what did I want to happen? Why didn't I think this through!
 
“Why don't you sit down, you look a little shaky…”
 
He gestured at the bed and I sat down slowly, placing my hands under my legs as I began to shift my feet nervously on the carpet. The silence hung between us like a thick fog.
 
“Chi Chi's pregnant” I suddenly blurted out.
 
Trunks' face fell, “Oh no… did Goku know?”
 
“No” I said bluntly.
 
Trunks sat down beside me, discarding the towel onto the floor. He really wasn't making this any easier…
 
“How is she?”
 
I shrugged, “I don't know, she seems to be holding up I guess. But Gohan doesn't know yet”
 
We sat there, side by side in the dark while I fidgeted with my skirt. I hadn't even put on any shoes.
 
“Lani… why are you here?”
 
I snapped my head up to look at him, “Do you want me to leave”. No reply. I stood up suddenly and crossed my arms across my chest, “Fine, sorry to disturb you”.
 
I made to walk out onto the balcony but was stopped by Trunks hand on my shoulder, “Don't do that” he said quietly.
 
“Do what? You told me to go!”
 
“No I didn't, you're jumping to the easiest conclusion that you can deal with”
 
I moved my hands onto my hips and frowned, “Don't start analysing me again! Isn't it possible that I just wanted to spend as much time as I could with you before… before…”
 
“Before we never see each other again” he finished for me.
 
I spun on my heel to face him, “But I will… won't I!” I said weakly. I could just about make out his frown in the dim light, “You'll go back to your future and live a brand new life… I'm going to be here… with all the memories of… everything. And I'll see you growing up won't I! One day that baby that plays with my tail like a damned toy is going to turn into an adult and when I look at him… I'm going to see you. I'm going to see someone I…”
 
I breathed in shakily, not quite sure how to finish the sentence.
 
“Then maybe we should just stop now, before we do anything to make it worse” he suggested impassively.
 
Suddenly I felt anger surge through me and I pushed his hand off my shoulder, “Are you that cold? Is it so easy for you to just say `well, nice to meet you, bye!'? You tell me I take the easy option, I close off my feelings… that I'm the dead one! Saying goodbye to you is going to hurt, I know that-”
 
“I don't want to cause you anymore pain Lani” Trunks almost pleaded, but I was on a roll and nothing was going to stop me having my say.
 
“Me neither. I hate pain, had about as much as I can take. But I'm sick of the fear even more, I don't want to live my life regretting never having something just because I was afraid of the pain”
 
“What is it that you want?” he suddenly snapped, “You want someone to comfort you? To tell you that they love you? `Cause I can't do that Lani”
 
“I don't want you to love me” I argued, “I just… want you. I just feel… safer… when you're around me… even when you're driving me insane!”
 
Silence came between us and I wondered just what was going on in his mind, I couldn't make sense of the thoughts and feelings in my own, that was for sure. I sighed and fell back down onto the bed, bringing my knees up to my chest to hug them tightly, “I never got to say a proper goodbye to anyone before. Not my mum, Shigeru, Goku… I don't want to just stand there and wave you off when you leave tomorrow”
 
Once again Trunks sat beside me and ran a hand through his hair, “I don't know what I'm supposed to do…” he said softly.
 
After a moment I shifted back onto the bed so I could kneel behind him. My arms wrapped themselves around his stomach and I gently placed my head on his back, right over his heart so I could hear it beating solidly. We had sat just like this the last time we'd argued, on top of the roof of the Son household. I wondered if he remembered.
 
“Can we just… lay down…” I whispered against his back, pulling away slightly as he began to move.
 
He placed one arm around my shoulders as he lay down on the soft covers, bringing me with him. My head rested against his chest as I wrapped my arms around him, revelling in his warmth.
 
“What'll you do when you've gone back?” I asked after a few minutes of silence.
 
“Go looking for the androids and destroy them… then I guess I'll wait and see if another Cell shows up and I'll destroy him too…”
 
“After that?”
 
“I don't know. What do you think you'll do?”
 
I sighed heavily and closed my eyes, “Chi Chi'll need someone to take care of her and help with the baby. Gohan will keep studying of course. I'll probably have to find a job or something so we have money…”
 
It sounded so boring and trivial compared to the last three years.
 
“I'm sure my mum would help you out”
 
I smiled slightly as I imagined Chi Chi's reaction to such an offer, “I doubt Chi Chi would accept any help. You know how stubborn she is”
 
My head rose and fell as Trunks sighed deeply, “You think the Earth will be safe now, with Goku gone?”
 
I shrugged, “Safe from everything but themselves. Earthling's are kind of dumb…”
 
“Don't let my mother hear you say that” Trunks chuckled.
 
I shifted from his chest so my head was next to his, my hand sought his own out as I clenched it tightly.
 
“Can I ask you something?” He turned to face me, his brow knitted in a slight frown, “When you go back to your time… would you be able to figure out what happened to me?”
 
His eyebrows lifted at my request, “It's been almost twenty years since Goku destroyed Frieza… but then again he didn't blow up the ship like I did. I think my mother stored it somewhere, she may have actually used some of it to design the time machine… why do you want me to look anyway, you'll be thirty something in my time”
 
“Perhaps I like the idea of the future me having a boy-toy” I teased, “I'm half saiyan, I won't age quickly remember”
 
“Oh.. that's promising” he said cheekily.
 
I shoved him playfully and laughed, “Oh I'm seeing a whole new side you tonight aren't I!”
 
He raised a hand and brushed my hair from my face with a smile, “I guess… you are the one that brings it out in me after all”
 
“What, I make you a cheeky little devil?” I grinned.
 
He didn't reply, but his hand remained on my cheek and I could feel his thumb brushing my skin gently. I got the feeling this was going in a whole new direction… especially when he leaned forward and kissed me deeply…
 
Present
 
After a few moments of silence Trunks cleared his throat, “So.. what does Chi Chi have to do with us… er… you know”
 
I giggled as he wiggled his eyebrows suggestively, “Just something she said”
 
He nodded and closed his eyes. Sleep was starting to take over us both as much as we fought to stay awake.
 
“Trunks” I said quietly.
 
“Mm-hmm”
 
“Don't wake me in the morning…”
 
“Why?”
 
I ran my hand down his back and moved as close to him as I could, “Because this is perfect, right here like this. I want this to be how I remember you…”
 
His arms snaked their way around me and he placed his head on top of mine, breathing in deeply.
 
“I know what you mean…” he whispered.
 
X
 
One week.
 
One week, four days, nine hours and forty three minutes.
 
Counting time had become a habit of mine lately. More specifically, counting the time since he'd been gone.
 
True to his word Trunks hadn't roused me before leaving. I had woken up in a sunlit room with his side of the bed empty. His bag was gone with the sword he'd brought with him. I hadn't cried, I think I'd run out of tears at that point. But I felt a soul shattering sadness that left me curled in the warm sheets and clinging to his pillow for hours. I wondered if the others had asked where I was when he left… and what Trunks had told them. I expect Bulma knew, she just knew everything.
 
When I finally forced myself my the bed and dressed I noticed a jacket left on the end of the bed. Adjusting my shirt as I moved I picked it up and recognised it instantly as Trunks' purple Capsule Corp. jacket. He couldn't have left it behind by accident. I pulled it over my shoulders and dug my hands into the pockets, that was when I found the piece of folded paper.
 
Lani,
 
Not waking you for one goodbye was harder then you could imagine. But you're right, I want to remember us like we were. There's a lot that I wish I could say to you, but I don't suppose it matters now. All you need to know is that you've woken something in me I never thought was there, never thought I'd get the chance to feel…
 
I'm going to try to find the you in my time, but only so I can make sure you're ok. I know that you won't be the same person and as much as the idea of being a `toy-boy' might appeal, no one could replace you.
 
We had such little time together but I think you've changed me in ways you don't even realise. Keep the jacket. It's only fair that when I look at the gold on my arm and I think of you… I can guess at what you're wearing!
 
I don't suppose there's much else to say, except that I hope you can embrace your new life like I will mine.
 
Take care of your family.
 
Trunks.
 
X
 
The End.
 
Sequel coming soon. Though it will be written in third person and with more focus on all the characters but still revolving around Lani and a new `relationship'. Any guesses who?
 
I am also writing a sister-story to this one where you see certain things from Piccolo, Goku, Trunks and even Vegeta's point of view… then you should realise that there is more to Lani then meets the eye, and why I choose to put this is first person.
 
Oh and er, Trunks might be back.