Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dragonscales ❯ Listening ( Chapter 8 )

[ A - All Readers ]

The king knelt down to look into his son's eyes, searching, piercing. The boy stiffened, returning his father's stare blankly, unsure of the meaning of this gesture. Kings were never supposed to kneel to others, not even their heir, unless it was to die and pass on the throne.
 
One gloved finger tapped the transparent screen over his left eye. "Do not lose this, boy. Keep it with you at all times, and do not let anyone take it from you. Hide it if you must."
 
"Why?" he said, his young voice curt and haughty. "It's a nuisance."
 
"Listen to me," the king commanded, a strong hand gripping his shoulder. His hard gaze was edged with urgency. "Listen."
 
*****
 
He dealt the guard a killing blow to the throat, silencing the scream that would have broadcast their presence to the entire ship. Another lightning strike, and the scouter over the man's face shattered.
 
He and his men gathered in one dark corridor to get their bearings. He calmly pressed a button on his own scouter, typing in a code only he knew.
 
"Son. Are you listening?"
 
His loyal soldiers behind him held their breaths. The plan was to cause enough of a disturbance so the boy could escape, even if he were the only one who would make it out alive.
 
A dry, sibilant chuckle sounded from the other end. The king froze.
 
"Tsk, tsk, my dear Vegeta. Sneaking onto my ship like that. I suppose you miss your little boy."
 
"Frieza..." The growl came from deep within his gut, the seat of his hatred for the tyrant and the impending doom hanging over them all.

The lizard's voice was suddenly ice cold. "Come and get him...if you can."

He broke off the link and smashed his scouter in one fist.

"It's time," he said simply to the soldiers behind him.