Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Early Morning of a Life Together ❯ Lunch with the Satans ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Dragon Ball Z was created by Akira Toriyama and is owned/licensed by Shonen Jump, Toei Animation Co. Ltd/Shuisha Bird Studios. None of the characters here are mine; I am only borrowing them for the story. This fan fiction is written by me for entertainment only, and is not meant to harm the anime/manga.
 
Early Morning of Our Lives together
 
Lunch at the Satan's
 
After Hercule and everyone had calmed down, the World Champion invited them to stay for lunch. The entire affair was served in a large dining hall, replete with long banquet table and multiple chairs. Chichi and Goku sat opposite one another towards the middle while Gohan sat to Hercule's left, and Videl to his right. Both of them faced one another shyly, their minds still reeling with the implications. Everything seemed to speed by quickly.
 
"Buu likes how Goku eats just as many burgers!" Buu said through mouthfuls of food. At his feet curled the family pet, Bee. He snapped up however when Buu took one of the burgers and stuck it under the table for him to eat. All of them had become accustomed to the large pink addition to Hercule's family. Indeed he ate most of his meals alongside Hercule Satan. Sometimes Hercule even brought one or two of the lovely ladies that flocked around him on a dinner date, and they were just as eager to spend time with Mister Buu as with himself. Buu even had his own fan club.
 
"These are GREAT," Goku nodded, remembering to swallow before speaking. Chichi kept most of her attention fixed towards Hercule rather then shooting visual reminders for Goku to mind his manners. Since Mr. Buu and Goku's table etiquette was about the same, Chichi realized it wasn't so big a deal to impress anyone in that arena. Rather she focussed on continuing to sell Gohan as a match for Videl.
 
"My kitchen staff throws them on the grill outside. No fancy schmancy grub here. Just good old food anyone would like. I can't stand those lobsters. They make me think of giant… cockroaches," Hercule whispered, leaning over to whisper to Goku.
 
"I dunno, they're pretty tasty to me. Then again I eat pretty much anything," Goku laughed. His charming smile seemed infections and everyone relaxed the tension in their shoulders a bit to see him so at home in the ritzy surroundings.
 
"Anything that isn't nailed down, right Dad?" Gohan added. Goku chuckled as his son nudged him in the ribs and they shared a look of mutual mirth.
 
"So, I assume you know Videl's going to college first," Hercule said.
 
"Absolutely," Chichi nodded, picking up her glass of lemonade and swirling it. Ice clinked in her glass. Across from her Goku continued to stuff his face with another helping of hamburgers. At the other end of the table sat Mr. Buu, who was whooping joyfully at the abundance of food being brought in.
 
"Buu love parties! Hercule going to throw a party now?"
 
"Not just yet, Mr. Buu," Hercule waggled his finger. "My little girl's gotta go through college first before she takes over Daddy's business…"
 
"Not that there's a big hurry, right Daddy?" Videl chimed in.
 
"Couse not! I've got YEARS left in me. Just making sure you know all there is to inheriting the family business that's all," said Hercule quickly. He followed his hasty words with a mouthful of potato salad, and then some more gourmet bites of hamburgers. Despite the fancy backdrop, Hercule seemed reasonably down to earth with his choices of food.
 
"I know all about that, Hercule," said Chichi with a nod. She still kept one hand in her lap, reaching for the burger she had cut into four identical pieces. Daintily she picked each piece up, nibbling on it while her husband matched Buu's appetite for food.
 
"I've still got to pass those entrance exams though Dad," Videl reminded him.
 
"Well with the genius boy here, I'm sure that's a snap," Hercule said, pointing to Gohan. "You'd better make sure she does, or else…"
 
"No problem with that," Gohan nodded.
 
"So, is there any particular objection to them getting married before college, or would you prefer they wait?" asked Chichi. Hercule coughed spasmodically, choking a bit.
 
"Now wait a minute, you only just told me they were interested in getting married! Videl's only 18!" Hercule spluttered.
 
"It's a reasonable question," Chichi said. "I was married when I was 18, and I still managed to finish a college education along with raising Gohan."
 
"That's right. She studied REALLY hard. I remember all those nights she hid behind those piled up books. She has to be smart to teach Gohan all those difficult things years ago," Goku chimed in. Chichi blushed a bit, and saw the look of surprise on Hercule's face.
 
"Mom was my first teacher. I mean I did mail in my lessons to be graded, but I was home schooled, remember," Gohan gently reminded Hercule.
 
"So you got all those big brains from your lovely mom eh? Well, I guess now I know where he got his brawn from," Hercule joked. Chichi let the remark pass and then allowed herself to feel a hint of pride.
 
"I know you'd mentioned that, Chichi," Videl said, swallowing a few bites of her carrot salad. She pushed her food around on the plate a bit, too nervous to eat much.
 
"So if I can do it, I don't see why Gohan couldn't. And I'd be more then happy to help Videl and Gohan should they need help with keeping house," Chichi said.
 
"Now hold on, there, little lady. I know you're smart and all, and so's your kid. But I think it'd be better if they finished a few years of college. It's easier to study without so many distractions," Hercule said.
 
"Well to tell you the truth I haven't talked much to Videl about that," Gohan confessed sheepishly.
 
"That's all right boy. No sense rushing into things. I mean if you're this in love with my little princess now I'm sure four years isn't forever," Hercule said.
 
"But maybe it's better if they did get married someplace in between all the work," Goku suggested. "I mean once they get married they're going to have to live together and all, and find a place to live… and there's all sorts of things that go with keeping a house…"
 
"I'd kinda hoped you'd live on Campus, honey. The college experience is something that you only have once in your life," Hercule said.
 
"True," said Chichi. "But I'd hoped Gohan would commute every day and continue to live at home. IF he and Videl married before I'd be more then happy to let them stay with us till they get their own home…"
 
"If it's all the same to you Mom, it might be better if she and I went away to school," Gohan suggested quietly.
 
"But it would save money, Gohan… we still don't know if you've gotten that scholarship yet," Chichi protested.
 
"Mom, I'm sure that full ride will come through. I could go to Satan City University. That is if Videl's going to go too. Then everyone would be happy," Gohan suggested.
 
"I don't know," Chichi said quietly. "I know that things are done differently depending on where you live… but there's nothing wrong with being married before. I mean it could be a good source of stability for Gohan and Videl. Who knows what could happen?"
 
"Maybe Gohan and Videl should decide that then," Hercule mumbled. "But I don't want anything funny to happen you know."
 
"Depends on what you mean by funny," Goku mumbled.
 
"You guys were married young obviously," Hercule pointed to Goku and Chichi. "But it's different now with kids. They need to have some fun and kick back. Not TOO much, but it doesn't kill them to live on their own and really see if this is what they want to do."
 
"They do love each other," Goku said. "Isn't that what matters?"
 
"I don't want you two rushing into something unless you're 100 percent sure! When your mother and I first met we were engaged for almost two years before we tied the knot sweetie," Hercule said. "That's how things are nowadays. I mean what's the RUSH?"
 
"Mom, I think Videl and I need to talk about this," said Gohan, holding up his hand to interrupt. "I love you Mom, but it's our decision, isn't it?"
 
"But I only want to help, Gohan sweetie!" Chichi protested.
 
"And we really appreciate it too, but we need to look at everything going on here," Videl said, reaching over to take Chichi's hand and give it a squeeze.
 
"There you go," Hercule said. "He's got a good head on his shoulders. I want my little girl to make the right choice you know. Not that he isn't a good kid. But she's still young. And well kids need to play a little…"
 
"Not TOO much," Chichi mumbled under her breath. She suddenly felt a foot brush against her thigh and froze. Goku sent her a meaningful glance across the table, shaking his head. Instantly Gohan and Videl turned identical shades of pink.
 
"Dad, really!" Videl groaned.
 
"I'm a modern guy really! I know what college is like… I mean I DID go myself! And anyway, if he loves you THAT Much he can wait, right?"
 
"Right," Gohan nodded slowly. Chichi sighed, a bit deflated, but Goku's dark eyes seemed to silence her with their intent stare.
 
"But…" Chichi started.
 
"Chichi, later please? For me?" Goku asked quietly.
 
"All right Gohan, you win. But don't forget what I told you," Chichi said, and then turned to Videl with a knowing look.
 
"Dad, Gohan and I need to talk this all out before we decide…"
 
"They don't even have an engagement ring," Chichi groaned. "How could they say they're engaged without one… of COURSE they can't set a date till that happens…"
 
"Oh hey, here's desert!" Hercule interrupted. Rubbing his hands together he eyed a huge silver bowl set before him. Drowning in rivers of chocolate syrup, three mounds of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice-cream balanced atop a raft of bananas. Eagerly Hercule thrust his spoon into the dollops of whipped cream topping the dessert. Goku already plunged his spoon eagerly into his very large 20 scoop sundae. Chichi surrendered when laying eyes on a huge slice of chocolate cake soaked with melted fudge and caramel. She did have to admit she was being quite pushy, but her gut mother's instinct told her she was making the right decision. It was so easy to pattern Gohan's life after her own in a sense, since history seemed to be repeating itself.
***
Once they had finished, Hercule invited Goku and Chichi to stroll through the garden while he led Gohan and Videl to a nearby lounge to 'discuss' what they intended to do. He wanted to have his own time alone speaking to the young couple, away from Chichi's pushy insistence they should press their engagement and marriage forwards.
 
Seeing his wife's slightly slumped posture, Goku gently squeezed her fingers clasped in his. She turned her head slightly, twin pieces of dark hair framing her face swirling around her cheeks. Dark brown eyes plaintively peered into his, a hint of worry dulling their sparkle. "Chichi, are you okay?" he asked.
 
"I suppose so. Oh Goku, why do things have to be so complicated! I know that times are changing, but I really want Gohan to be settled in… I mean is it SO bad to be married AND in school? I'm sure it won't affect their college… but it would be so nice to have them setting up house… just think they could build a place right next to ours, and you could see all the lovely grandkids they'll have…"
 
"Chichi, there's no such thing as settled, and you know that," Goku interrupted. She stopped, letting her fingers slip through his.
 
Gravel crunched under their feet as they wandered around the curved path leading through a hedge maze. Brightly colored tropical birds flittered from place to place in the extensive landscaping. In the distance over the sound of the rustling branches and topiary shaped like animals they could hear the tinkling of a fountain. Rather Goku could smell the water through the thick pong of flowerbeds.
 
"Goku, don't you think I know that? Judging how crazy our life and marriage is! I just want the best for our son! Is it too much to want a life free of being SCARED to death!"
 
"You never did want me to run off fighting. You always wanted a home and a normal life. But you eventually realized that was something that was unfair," Goku interrupted, grasping her shoulder. "I'm not like a Prince Charming person your Dad probably wanted."
 
"I've accepted long ago you're different. I fell in love with you because you were a hero. And I want to laugh at myself for pretending all these years that once two people got married that it had to be a certain way," Chichi answered. "I guess it was silly to think someone could wave a magic wand and make our lives... normal."
 
They emerged from the hedge maze a minute later, eyes resting on the carved stone benches ringing the three tiered fountain. Chichi chuckled a bit seeing the Hercule theme statuette posing at the top, while the three marble basins dribbled water down to the bottom pool decorated with four stone fishes. For all his wealth he had some sense of garishness mixed in with a touch of elegance that being rich brought to the fore. The other statues of him and famous wrestlers he sponsored lining the front walkway were an example of his peculiar taste. Here he had built his own shrine to his greatness, but still had beautiful patches here and there.
 
"What is normal anyway? I mean like Bulma and Vegeta? They're not normal. Krillin and 18 aren't normal either…" said Goku with a chuckle. "Any other way and they wouldn't be who they are. And I wouldn't be who I was. And you said you wanted to marry me."
 
"When you finally realized what being married meant. All those years with me and my hard head," Chichi laughed gently. "Trying to make you something I thought you should be. And then all those years I missed you and realized it didn't matter."
 
"Yeah. But would you do it differently? I mean if there was someone else who could marry you and give you that 'normal life', Chichi, would you change it?" Goku asked, scratching his head.
 
"No. Not now," Chichi said. "Not after I've got you back. Seven years is a long time to miss someone. And I realized what I missed most was all the silly things that I once pulled my hair out about. The way you'd climb into the window when you' finished training. How you'd always ask what was for dinner instead of asking how my day was. Even how you'd try to find a way of sneaking off to spar when I asked you to help with the laundry."
 
"Uh huh," Goku nodded. "But I do the laundry now… and I do help with the dishes, even though you said I broke too many."
 
Not that she was one to talk, considering the huge pools in her father's palace, shaped like his own horned head. It had decorated the back garden of their once grand estate, now reduced to ashes and memories. Instead of building a third castle, the Ox King had settled on a modest mansion, much easier to maintain, and far from the ruined towers where Goku and Chichi had their marriage feast. He allowed flowers and trees, still partly tended, to overrun the ruins, forming a memorial garden where all his subjects could walk and picnic to their heart's content.
 
"You're such a sweetheart to try after so long," she said, leaning up to kiss his cheek. "I didn't know WHAT I wanted when you died that first time. And I wanted to hate you for not coming back, and for dying on us. For taking Gohan away and worrying me sic all those times. But through it all… you still came home."
 
"You did say being married meant we lived together, for the rest of our lives. Where else WOULD I go? There isn't any other 'home'," Goku said quietly.
 
"There was Otherworld," Chichi answered. "But seven years… oh Goku we've talked about this… how I only remembered the good things, not the things that made me angry…"
 
"I wished I could have been allowed to see," Goku answered. "But once I went to Otherworld with King Kai, we weren't allowed to see what happened in this world. It was a big price to pay… and I knew you'd be angry…"
 
"But you left me Goten. And Gohan was alive, and we had a normal life. Without you," she said softly. "I would have traded that for all the years of you rushing off and coming home from those crazy adventures…"
 
"But it was because of a crazy adventure we ended up together at all," Goku reminded her. Chichi laughed, reaching up to squeeze the hand attacked to the arm curled around her shoulders.
***
Meanwhile Hercule shrank partly away from his daughter's insistent gaze. Hands on her hips she stared her father down and took a deep breath. "Daddy, look, I know you love me and all, but Gohan and I should be the ones to decide when we get married."
 
"She's right. My mom can be a bit pushy, but I agree it's up to Videl and I," Gohan nodded.
 
"Glad you see things my way, boy," Hercule said. Placing a cigar in his lips he lit it carefully.
 
"Um sir, those things aren't good for your health you know," Gohan started. Yet Videl elbowed him sharply in the ribs, silencing him.
***
Goku and Chichi sat side by side in Hercule's garden. Nostalgic visions danced before their inner sight, pulling them from the present moment. All the events of the past 24 hours could not help but trigger memories of themselves at Gohan and Videl's age.
 
"Do you remember, Goku-sa?" Chichi whispered, turning to face him. Gently Goku reached over to grasp the side of her face. He knew through years of experimentation what his wife liked and did not like. Reaching up with one hand Chichi unfastened the band that held her hair up in a bun. Goku watched closely it uncoiled like a snake then rained down into twin straight curtains framing her face. At that instant she looked far younger and less severe.
 
"I like your hair down like that Chichi, you don't look so angry all the time," Goku said.
 
"How's that?" she blinked. "What do you mean, Goku?"
 
"You look like you did when we first got married," Goku answered. Chichi's pensive look melted into a fond smile.
 
"That's sweet of you to say love," she gushed, her heart melting at his simple and heartfelt words. He needed no fancy speeches to make his feelings known. Goku tangled his fingers through her silky black locks, loving how they glided like water over his rough hands. Chichi simultaneously cupped his face between her hands, caressing his smooth young cheeks. Her Goku never aged a day, and an old fear momentarily surfaced.
 
"I don't care about that," Goku answered aloud. Chichi blushed, realizing because they touched flesh to flesh he could read her thoughts.
 
"But women DO care about their appearances, Goku."
 
"I know Chichi and that's silly. Because we're married. A promise is a promise you know," he repeated.
 
"My innocent lovely husband," she purred.
 
"I don't know the same things that some people you call 'smart' do. But that doesn't mean I'm stupid. You know that more then anyone else, Chichi. It's taken you years to see that, but I love you," Goku answered. "I know what love IS."
 
"I don't doubt that for a second Goku. You just show it differently. Whenever you asked me for a meal, or wanted to devour my cooking, that was one way I knew you loved and accepted me. I could be petty and think that's all you cared about, but food is a way of expressing love, and that's what it took to reach you… but all along you knew far more then I gave you credit for," Chichi answered.
 
"I know that already Chichi," he answered.
 
"Sometimes I just have to repeat it, so you know I accept you as you are, Goku. Don't doubt that," Chichi said. "I can feel what you're feeling too, when I'm touching you. Like you learned to read thoughts by touching me."
 
"It's not just a Saiyan thing," Goku answered.
 
"Goku, do you sense anyone nearby?" she whispered.
 
"No," Goku said, closing his eyes for a moment to sweep the area with his invisible probes of ki. Like a radar they bounced off every living thing. He hooked his arm around her waist, pulling her tightly to him.
 
"Do you remember the first time we did this, Goku love?" she whispered, tickling his ear with her lips. Chichi climbed into his lap, so their faces were the same height. She then swung her leg over so she was straddling him, glad she wore a skirt.
 
"Yes," Goku rasped, his blood pounding fast. "You thought I didn't know anything…"
 
"but you did. And I told you to just let go," she answered. Grasping his face she pulled him towards her for a kiss. Goku often let her take the lead at first. But as their lips opened and he tasted her in his mouth, he felt his instincts arising. They were very loud voices in his mind, for he had lived in the wild for at least 12 years and had seen his share of animals mating.
 
"And let me show you how to love."
 
"Wrestling," he joked, and she giggled like a child again. Making love to him made Chichi feel eternally young, and she felt the crackling surge of his ki rising around them. Like a mantle it surged over her body, boosting her own ki. Chichi was glad that he had learned how to bolster her energy so, having heard from Bulma how Vegeta had done so. Both women had often shared notes on how the two full blooded Saiyans made love. Because eof Bulma's confessions, Chichi had given Goku more ideas on how to not hurt her.
 
Goku quickly applied the techniques, and to their delight there were far fewer bruises. He had first applied them the last few nights they had together. Before Cell took Goku away from her. Although she fussed at hating his Super Saiyan appearance, he would power down so she could be with him. Though there was that one night in the bath when he showed her the benefits of Super Saiyan anatomical changes.
 
"Someone's coming," Goku answered.