Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Early Morning of a Life Together ❯ What Gohan wants ( Chapter 16 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Dragon Ball Z, Akira Toriyama does. This fan fiction means no harm to the anime or manga.
Early Morning of Our Lives Together
Author note: Thanks to Son-Bardock for his continued support and the support of everyone who's reviewed on this!

The high tittering of chirped notes interwove in a symphony with loud dissonant caws. She could imagine each creature along with the rumbling trill of what sounded like frogs strategically placed near wherever she slept. Memory quickly returned, and she shielded her sensitive eyes from a bright circle of sunlight beaming into them. Against its radiance, square geometric grillwork segmented the disk into distinct pieces. She struggled to roll over, only to rest her head against the smooth slick surface of someone's chest. Blinking, Videl's eyes followed the pat between rugged pectorals to the base of his angular chin, then over the summit of his nose. Dark lashed eyes were closed, and his muscular arm tightened, binding Videl to her lover's body.
While his arm did not crush the breath from her ribs, it still prevented her from getting up. Videl turned over in the embrace, pulling herself to lie partly on Gohan's chest and softly kiss his chin. By the time she worked her way to his lips she felt the faint vibration of his chuckle through their closely pressed chests. Gohan's dark eyes fluttered open and he glanced up at her with a smile.
"Good morning, you," Videl whispered.
"Good morning sweetheart," Gohan answered. At the sound of the endearment Videl's heart skipped beats. What was it about the morning light that made Gohan appear so much older, she wondered.
"I'll see if I can make some coffee or breakfast," Videl offered.
"You don't have to," Gohan began, but Videl had freed herself from his grasp.
The sheet vanished as she wrapped it around her to make a toga. Gohan was left with the blanket and pulled it up to his waist when he saw her attempts to preserve her modesty. She glanced over her shoulder to see Gohan's hair mussed up a bit. It gave him a very adorable bedraggled look, because she knew she was responsible for it. They had enjoyed several times over. All reason or doubt melted away in Gohan's arms hour after hour of endless passion. Finally, they had collapsed in pure exhaustion.
"So where do you keep the instant coffee around here... or is there any?"
"There's some in the kitchen cupboard there. But we have to cook over an open fire..." Gohan explained. She puttered about, holding the front of her sheet closed while rummaging through the cabinets with the other hand. Gohan quickly moved up behind her and grabbed the cooking pans they'd need.
"Here," Gohan said. "I'll catch some fish for breakfast. There's wood nearby the house."
Sparks jumped from the flint and steel Gohan struck together near the pile of kindling. He carefully cupped his hands and blew between them to feed the tiny flame precious oxygen. Tiny red pulses of light crept along ashy whiteness in their wake. A thin column of smoke steadily curled skywards from the newly started fire.
“All right,” Gohan nodded, still reclining on bent knee by the ring of rocks. He wore orange karate gi, belonging to his father that happened to be in the house as a change of clothes. Pots and pans rattled, heralding Videl's emergence from the house. She stood shortly in the doorway, glancing around and closing her eyes as she sniffed the morning air.
“Heavenly,” she commented. Then she crossed over to the small well and tossed a bucket tied to the end of a long rope over the side. Water splashed distantly after the delay of one second, indicating it was still viable. She carried the bucket over to the campfire where Gohan was steadily adding wood to the A-frame he'd constructed. That year of survival training Piccolo had given him during the Saiyan invasion came in handy for times like this. Unfortunately, such moments were all too fleeting, Gohan frowned.
“I just realized I left those clothes back at the store,” Videl confessed. Gohan glanced up and smiled to see her tying a knot in a pair of royal blue karate pants. Her ample bosom stretched out the fabric of the sleeveless top, but the shoulders were far too loose. It was adorable to see her wearing his workout suit from when they first commenced flying lessons.
“Sorry, Videl. We can go back and get them,” Gohan started, but Videl reached over and silenced him with a fingertip on his lips. Realization descended on her, and she understood why Gohan seemed so different up here. This was the life he was content to lead, in the mountains quietly with his family instead of gallivanting around the world saving the day.
“No, I like it up here. Let's stay for a while, please Gohan?” she pleaded. Shyly she filled the coffeepot and set it on a nearby grille Gohan tugged over the fire.
“I'll catch breakfast and then we'll see,” he nodded. He stood up after leaning over to kiss her softly on the lips. Videl felt a burst of instant heat spreading from her mouth all over her young body.
“He's not the boy I thought he was. He's a man, and a very complex one. And I love him,” Videl whispered, watching him stride into the woods carrying a basket in one hand and fishing pole slung over his shoulder.
Rice steamed in a bamboo cooker next to a boiling pot of water. She poured coffee into a small basket and let it drip through. However when someone touched her shoulder she flinched and swung her fist out. Someone caught it in the flat of his hand and Gohan leaned down to reassure her with a smile.
“Whoa, easy there, Videl. It's just me sweetheart. I'll clean these and then we'll have plenty for both of us,” he urged.
“You big jerk you scared me!” Videl scolded him. Gohan's face morphed into regret, but she soon put a stop to it by leaning over and kissing him. Gohan tossed down the fish slung over his back, reaching out to pull her to his strong chest. He positioned her to sit on his bent knee while bending her over one arm. Somehow, he wanted to reassure her that she had nothing to fear.
By the time she surfaced from his firm kiss, she felt dizzy. Was it the lack of oxygen or the intensity, Videl wondered? Her thoughts were interrupted by her surprised gasp when she felt herself swept up into Gohan's arms. A second later, he deposited her on a nearby urn.
Gohan apologized, “Sorry, I'd better get these going.”
“N… no problem,” Videl stammered, her heart pounding with wonder at his easy strength. For a second she felt an intensity in him that terrified and enticed her. Gohan's nature seemed quite enhanced beyond words, and she wondered what it was. Every muscle curved under the gi, and she remembered where she had last seen it: that day on Kami's lookout when she'd jumped into his arms and pounded his chest calling him a jerk.
All she really wanted to do was kiss him senseless and show him how much she missed him, and wanted to be near him. How much she couldn't imagine life without him because… she loved him. Somehow, this didn't feel like a game any longer, but all too real.
Perhaps the reality was driven further home because of Gohan's appearance this morning. Wearing the orange and red gi, he appeared far older and tougher. IN contrast, his school clothes gave the opposite message; hiding his muscular body under a loose shirt and pants reduced him to that shy square who nobody bothered to ask. Little wonder he seemed content to let her father claim the credit for Cell.
While it was nice for a pastime, he only fought when necessarily. Unlike his father, he didn't crave it. On the other hand, did he, Videl wondered? Was the drive to fight warring with something else? How genuine was his desire to study endlessly when his mother encouraged him strongly to strive for excellence? Could she be content to live quietly as a homemaker to him, when she enjoyed rushing about saving the day?
Still silent, Gohan positioned the river fish skewered on their long thin sticks strategically around in the coals. It wouldn't take long for them to grill in this manner, with their tails aimed skywards and their mouths clamped around wood. On autopilot, she found herself filling a large bowl with steamed rice, the one thing she could think of cooking with such limited supplies. She handed this and a large pair of chopsticks to Gohan still tending the fire.
“Thank you, sweetheart,” Gohan whispered, kissing her ear. He sat down on the nearby rock and began to dig in.
Videl contented herself with sipping a cup of her own coffee, jolting awake with its strength. Alternatively, could she have the best of both worlds, and could she convince Gohan he could be whatever he wanted. That he wouldn't have to sacrifice his own dreams for others. Did he even have dreams of his own, for that matter? Living under the guidance of a strong willed and pushy mother with even the best intentions tended to banish any need for initiative. It was far easier to simply be who people expected you to be, because you were kind hearted and only wanted the best for others. Did Gohan even realize he had permission to be a bit selfish now and again?
“Um Gohan, I was wondering,” Videl asked, and saw something thrust into her hands.
“You'd better eat something love. I don't want you getting ill. I don't care what those idiots say about women needing to watch their weight, it gets pretty tough when you're up at this altitude,” he urged. Meekly Videl took the offered fish and bit into it. A fresh burst of flavor crossed her tongue and she took multiple hungry bites, remembering how famished she was. Gohan selected a fish for himself and thoughtfully nibbled on it while turning his dark gaze to hers.
“What's wrong Videl, are they all right?” Gohan asked. She tossed the stick into the fire, and reached for a mug of coffee, handing it to him.
“I was just wondering what your plans were after graduation… I mean are you going right to college?” Videl asked softly.
“I'd planned on Satan City University. That way you and I could still spend time together while I attend classes. Bulma's offered me a job at Capsule to help finance my education, but I should be getting a full ride scholarship. I guess Mom's instance on my studying paid off,” Gohan answered.
“I just don't want to hold you back from your studies. I mean you've wanted this your whole life… and I don't' want to get in the way,” she started.
“Videl, don't say that,” Gohan answered, grasping her hand. He set his cup on a rock and pulled her to sit next to him.
“But Gohan, how often WILL we be able to see each other. I don't want you feeling pushed to get married just because you and I… slept together,” she answered.
“We can wait as long as you want. But not too long I hope,” Gohan answered, his eyes gleaming seriously.
“I'm just not cut out to be someone's wife like your mom. I can hardly cook, and the idea of keeping house makes me bored to tears,” Videl stammered.
“What brought this on? Videl, I want to marry you, not some version of my mom! Just because you're married doesn't mean I won't let you have your own dreams. What are you scared of?” Gohan answered, worried about where the conversation was going.
“I don't know what I want, Gohan. But the thought of not having you in my life scares the hell out of me,” Videl confessed.
“Sweetheart,” Gohan answered, pulling her to him again. He sat her on his lap, his strong arms wrapping tightly around her. Videl pressed her face into his neck, shivering with the reality of their feelings.
“I don't want to hold you back Gohan. I don't want to let you or my dad down. It's just that... I don't feel like I'd be a good wife for you. You need someone like your mother who can...”
“Videl, stop it,” Gohan scolded, holding her out at arm's length. “I'm tired of other people telling you and me what they want. I want to be with you, and I want to marry you. However, if you don't want to, please tell me. I won't hate you and I won't be upset if you tell me the truth. What's bothering you?”
“I'm scared Gohan,” she whispered. “I'm scared because…”
“Of what? Me being a Saiyan?” Gohan answered.
“You know that's not true,” Videl snapped back at him. Gohan released her as she climbed off his lap.
“Then what is it?”
“I'm not cut out to wash your socks and cook your meals, Gohan. When have you really stopped to sit down and decide what YOU want? Are you just marrying me because your mom wants a daughter in law? Is it what YOU want, or is it because you're just being a good son?” Videl asked, her voice growing harsh.
“Videl, you don't mean that. To hell with what she wants. What do you want?” Gohan growled.
“You are always such a sweet guy. You always do what everyone else expects of you. Do you even HAVE your own dreams, Gohan?” Videl challenged, unable to stop the bitter questions escaping her lips. “All your life you've studied and pushed aside anything of your own. Do you have a clue what YOU want in life? Or is it easier just to do what you're told?”
“Videl, where are you doing with this?” Gohan demanded, his voice deepening.
Videl rested her hands on her hips, and straightened up to her full height. What had started as a nice rendezvous was rapidly deteriorating. Ugly doubts had resurfaced, and suddenly she realized she had to find out the truth. Moreover, save him from a world of hurt later, and herself perhaps. Backing away from him she shouted, “I can't be with you Gohan. We're not right for each other. It just… it just won't work.”
“So it is because I'm a Saiyan and you're a human. Videl, this doesn't' sound like you. Why are you shutting me out?” Gohan asked.
“I mean Gohan, that I can't see you anymore! I'm letting you go. I'm not right for you, and you're not right for me. I don't want to get married, and I don't want to be with someone who is only with me because he's doing what his parents want…” she finished.
“But I want…”
“You don't know what you want! That's the problem, Gohan! Haven't you ever for once in your life done ANYTHING on your own that is for you and NOT for someone else? How can you hope to be happy if you're always living out OTHER people's dreams?” Videl finished, her voice echoing across the mountains.
“You're wrong,” Gohan answered, his throat knotting. “You don't understand…”
“I don't. I guess I don't want to,” Videl answered. “I think it's better we stop now… before either of us gets hurt. You said you never wanted to hurt me. Look I don't want to hurt you. But this is how it has to be…”
“Is that what you want, or are you just scared?” Gohan answered, staring her right in the eyes.
“I'm sorry Gohan. I need to go home now. And you need to get back to your life, and what you're going to do with it. Just like I need to get back to mine,” answered Videl, her throat hurting. “You'll thank me in thirty years when you're still young, and I'm old and gray. You'll understand.”
“I don't,” Gohan said angrily.
“Goodbye Gohan,” Videl answered. “I'll send you the clothes back…”
“Videl… you can't run away from this, or me. You're only lying to yourself and me, you know!” Gohan shouted, cupping his hands around his mouth.
However, Videl blasted off into the morning light, in the direction of Satan City. She had fought hard to press back the tears that were bubbling up in her eyes. Still that image of a young Goku and an aged Chichi taunted her and she knew in time he would realize the true reason. He was a hybrid of a race that nobody knew the full life span of.
Anger filled him, bubbling up from the pit of his soul. Cocking back his fist Gohan slammed it into a nearby tree. IN a ten-foot radius, a wave of energy exploded, and his body glowed with blue gold fire. Eyes set in a serious frown, and he increased in size and stature. A low growl erupted from his throat and he felt the explosive wave of ki slamming into the nearby trees. However, he felt it recede as he dropped to his knees and shook his head.
“Videl… don't you dare do this to me,” he half snarled. “How could you… you don't understand me! You don't understand at all! I can't believe it…”
“Dammit! Damn it all,” Gohan shouted, smashing another tree dangerously near his grandfather's house. Splinters flew and he let out an enraged yell.
Just then, he felt someone suddenly streak past, and realized it was a blue and green figure with a flapping white cape. Another figure grabbed him from behind, pulling him into an arm lock. “Let me GO!” Gohan thundered, flipping whoever it was over his head. An orange and gold streak smashed into the rocks, shaking its spiky haired head.
“Gohan, what are you doing, son? Stop it before you hurt yourself!”
“Don't tell me what to do!” Gohan gritted back. Crossing his hands before his head, he summoned flickering energy.
“Masenkoo HA!” Gohan shouted, letting the energy spiral from his palms. Suddenly the opponent raised his hands to block the power. Through a haze of red, he discerned who it was.
“Gohan, stop it! It's me, your father! Please listen! You have to get control of yourself!” Goku's voice split through the haze.
“Father,” Gohan got out as he shook his head. “You're not supposed to be here. You'd better leave now before I hurt you.”
“Gohan, stop it now!” Piccolo shouted. He placed himself between Gohan and the other figure, his brow knit sternly.
“Piccolo… what are you doing here?” Gohan stammered. Red rage dissipated in the stern look of his earlier mentor. Piccolo blazed with energy, but Gohan suddenly felt the urge to resist.
“Gohan, what in Dende's name are you doing? Trying to blow up the forest? I thought you had more control then that!”
“Let me talk to him, Piccolo,” Goku said. Gohan panted, his hands blazing with energy as he felt the urge to punch something, and something HARD.
“I'm sorry but I feel like I'm going to explode if I don't hit something,” Gohan panted, rage filling him.
“Then punch me, son,” Goku said. “Fight me till you cool off!”
“Goku are you insane?” asked Piccolo.