Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ For My Father ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

For My Father
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Dragon ball Z, or any of the songs I used in this fic. Consider this promotion for some awesome artists. But Veronica and her friends were my idea…..good or bad…..
 
Ok this is a song fic and a teaser as I am going to use characters and post plot from a fic I wrote long ago and was posted on ff.net before they kicked me off. If you like the character and want to read the original, review maybe I can get around to typing it back up. Note: Takes place after the aforementioned fic happened.
 
“Can you believe it?!” Veronica shrieked excitedly. She jumped in the air the non gravity defying part of her dirty blonde hair flew up in the wake of air. *Hair style half up half down. Think Bulma's hair cut from the one episode post saiyan sage in the hospital* She grabbed onto Ebony and Eva's arms and they all let out a scream of sheer excitement.
 
The others stood near by with their hands clasped over their ears.
 
“Our first real concert!” She said unable to contain her grin. The Odd Ones Out had finally been discovered when they were writing a song in the park one day and now they were playing in the West City New Youth Concert, every month a new and upcoming band was featured in their own concert in the mega dome. They were at present standing outside the dome the morning of the concert waiting to go in and get ready for that night.
 
“Isn't it wonderful?” Eva asked excitedly her green eyes glowing with excitement...
 
“It sure is.” Shawn, their drummer said enthusiastically elbowing Ethan one of the guitarist who was staring lackadaisically up at the dome along with his girlfriend Ebony the keyboardist.
 
A deep laugh came from behind the group. “It's that big of a deal huh?” Veronica turned around and glared playfully at the owner of the voice.
 
“Goten, this is beyond amazing! It's like going super saiyan for the first time amazing!” She shouted spinning herself into his arms. He chuckled again and looked down at her giving her a playful smile.
 
“Nothing is as great as that.” Another even deeper more dangerous voice chimed in.
 
Veronica chuckled inwardly and looked around Goten to smile softly at the owner. She shook her head. “Oh daddy.”
 
Vegeta stood there arms crossed with his usual look. Bulma stepped up and took her middle child's hands. “Don't listen to your father. You will be great!”
 
“Most definitely! You will rock em dead Ronnie!” Bra chimed in bounding up to her older sister with great enthusiasm. Veronica smiled.
 
“She's right you know. But then again you are always amazing.” Goten chimed in putting his hand on her shoulder. She turned her head and leaned up to kiss her boyfriend on the cheek before whispering. “Flattery will get you everywhere, buddy.”
 
He chuckled mischievously and she stepped away knowing her father didn't like her and Goten's public displays of affection. In fact she was sure if he had his way Goten would have been flogged for even coming within ten feet of her or just thinking of kissing her.
 
“Just don't choke.” Trunks called out sardonically with a famous Vegeta family smirk. Veronica stuck her tongue out at him.
 
“You're all coming tonight right?”
 
“Oh yes, I even invited 18 and Marron. If we are lucky they'll all show.” Bulma said just as excited as her daughter.
 
Veronica grinned and turned to Goten. “And you?”
 
“Wouldn't miss it for the world darling.” He kissed her on the nose. “And my family wants to attend as well.” If it was possible her grin widened even more. Then she heard her father's gruff voice.
 
“Well I don't think I will attend.”
 
“Why not?” Bra asked her father with wide sad eyes.
 
He humped and looked away from his youngest's pleading eyes. “Why should I mingle with commoners and you know I don't like crowds.” He growled glancing at Bulma. Bulma frowned at him.
 
Veronica frowned for a moment and her blue eyes betrayed her sadness. She shook it off though and walked up to her father. “It's ok daddy, I wouldn't want you lowering yourself like that. I mean its hard enough for you to be in the same room with Kakarott anyway right?” She said with a small smile trying to appease everyone. Inside her heart was breaking, but she knew that even though he had made great progress he would always be the proud saiyan prince, with or without a throne and that he loved her he just couldn't get over his pride.
 
Vegeta humped again. “See. She knows.”
 
Veronica smiled and turned to her band mates.
 
“Let's go guys!” And with that they all headed into the dome.
 
As they all ran into the dome Bulma didn't contain her anger at her husband and she bashed him in the head gaining herself a few broken fingers.
 
“OUCH!”
 
“Didn't we discuss why it was a bad idea to hit me?” Vegeta asked.
 
“You jerk! Can't you see she's crushed! You have to go!”
 
Vegeta had watched her go into the dome and in the part of his heart that had grown alive as he had created a family here on Earth wrenched in pride and sadness. There was no denying he was proud of her, but he couldn't help his response. It was instinct for him to do and say such things beaten into by years of submission and horror under Frieza. He clenched his fists and shook his head.
`Why can I never be rid of him? Even after he is long dead.' Without a word he flew off leaving his family to stare after him in confusion.
 
“Why won't dad go?” Fifteen year old Bra asked an angry look that mirrored her mother's crossing her face.
 
Bulma sighed forlornly and shook her head. “Who knows? Your father has quite a few demons that even today he is still fighting and all we can do is love him.” Trunks and Bra nodded solemnly. They both knew too well what their mother meant.
 
The day was spent setting up sound checking. They also were working out the song order. They had a wide variety of musical genres and songs they had written themselves. As they went through there lists, Veronica couldn't help thinking about her dad. She didn't show it, but she was disappointed he wasn't coming. She wanted so badly for him to be proud of her and to let him know that it was all because of him that she was who she was.
 
“Hey Veronica, what are some of our good emotional songs? Something to pull the heart strings.” Sean asked breaking her train of thought.
 
Veronica stared down at her list and two of the first good songs she had ever written popped out at her. “I know just the ones.”
 
Not to long after that Veronica called the Son house. Chi chi answered. “Hello?'
 
“Hi Chi chi. Its Veronica.”
 
“Oh hello dear, I'm sorry, but Goten's not here right now. I figured you would know that.” Chi chi asked since usually Veronica only called to talk to Goten.
 
“Oh I know I just wanted to talk to Goku about something.” Veronica felt weird asking the older saiyan for anything, since she rarely spoke to him.
 
“Hello?” Goku's child like voice came through the receiver.
 
“Goku, its me Veronica.”
 
“Oh hey, Ronnie! What's up?” He said cheerily eager to help.
 
“My dad doesn't want to come to the concert.”
 
“What? Why?!”
 
“I'm not completely sure and he will probably kill me for this, but can you talk to him?” Veronica knew she was going out on a limb asking Goku to reason with her unreasonable father.
 
“You bet. Don't worry Veronica. I'll get your dad straightened out.”
 
“Thanks Goku.” They both hung up and Goku flew straight off to Vegeta's ki signal.
 
He found Vegeta sitting on a grassy cliff overlooking the sea, just staring at the waves crashing on the beach. It was odd to find Vegeta being idle. He was almost always training, no matter his emotional state.
 
“What do you want Kakarott?” Vegeta snapped bitterly never turning to look at him. “I assume my mate asked you to sway my decision to go to the concert?”
 
“Actually no, it was Veronica who asked me to talk to you.”
 
Vegeta's eyes widened temporarily and gazed confusedly at Goku before turning his eyes back to the ocean. “Why?”
 
“She obviously wants you to be at her concert.” Goku's words were greeted with nothing, but silence. “This concert is important to her. You're her father.”
 
“I KNOW THAT!” Vegeta snapped loudly.
 
“I just….can't….be the father she needs. I almost failed her once before. Its better if I stay out of her affairs.”
 
“But Vegeta she wants you there! Its not a huge deal!” Goku was insistent. He had seldom failed at anything in his life and he didn't plan to start now.
 
“It is to me.” Vegeta said in whisper, but it was stern just the same.
 
“How disappointed were you when your father, handed you over to Frieza?” Goku knew it was extreme, but he wanted to make his point heard.
 
Vegeta shot up and grabbed Goku's shirt pulling them face to face. “Don't you DARE talk about my father! Or compare him to me!”
 
Goku frowned down at him. “Fine, don't go to the concert, her heart will be broken, and that means you have become your own father Vegeta. Do you want that? I know you are good father. I see it in your children every time I see them. Its time for you to show more than just pride for them, a little affection won't kill you. I know.” Goku effortlessly pulled out of Vegeta's grasped and without another word turned and left.
 
Vegeta frowned as he watched his friend and rival fly off. He sat down hard again and ran his gloved hands through his hair. “That fool is right, as usual….” Vegeta continued to sit there, deep in thought until the sun went down and he decided to head back to Capsule Corp. Chances are they would all be at the concert by now and no one would bother him. Unfortunately for him he would have to fly over the stadium to get home…..
 
The show was about to start and the Odd One's Out were ready, prepped, practiced, and dressed. They were all fidgeting back stage trying to chill out. Veronica was dressed in tight blue jeans and red sneakers with a glittery red tank top on under her black leather jacket she had specially made with the Vegeta royal family crest on the back and as usual her hair would have to stay its same old stubborn self, half up half down. She was staring at the sunset sky above the dome hoping to catch a glimpse of her father, but so far nothing. She sighed, until she heard, “Hey V.” She spun around to see Goten staring at her with his hands behind his back.
 
“Hey you!” She said excitedly sauntering up to him while trying to look around him.
 
“You got something for me?” She asked coyly.
 
“Yes.” He said huskily before wrapping one arm around her waist and pulling her into a searing kiss. She was pleasantly surprised and kissed him back with equal fervor before he pulled his other hand from behind his back to reveal a jewelry box. “Besides the kiss I got you this. A gift for the concert.” She opened the box to reveal a pair of ruby and onyx diamond shaped earrings.
 
“Oh Goten, they're a beautiful!” She put them in and brushed back her hair to give him a better look.
 
“So how do I look?!” She asked obviously fishing for compliments.
 
Goten was happy to give them he wrapped both arms around her and pulled her close to nuzzle her neck. “Beautiful as always.” Veronica fought the urge to moan, her Goten was such a good tease.
 
“Is my father here?” She asked pulling back a little.
 
Goten frowned and shook his head. “No, but everyone else is, and we are ready to see what you can do!” He said trying to raise her mood.
 
She smiled although her eyes betrayed a slight sadness. “Well we'll make sure to give em a great show, won't we guys?” She turned back to look at her band who were pumped as well.
 
“Yeah!”
 
Goten left and they took the stage. They played lots of great songs, and the crowd was way into it, the Z fighters especially. “She's got your lungs, Bulma.” Goku said causing Bulma to turn red, but for once she didn't lash out.
 
“You bet! That's my girl!” She shouted instead.
 
The show was half over when Veronica announced to the crowd, “Hey everyone out there! Having fun?!”
 
The crowd cheered enthusiastically. They were a big hit. Then as if by fate, *or ironically simple plot device* Vegeta was flying near by and with his saiyan hearing heard his daughter's voice. Unable to resist he flew closer till he was looking right into the stadium from high above. He stopped and listened hard to his daughter.
 
“We are going to slow the show down a bit for the next couple songs. Both of which I wrote for an important man in my life, my dad.”
 
Vegeta couldn't have been more stunned had he been slapped in the face with a hammer. This had been done before, by his mate.
 
His old man was a rebel yeller
Bad boy to the bone.
He'd say: "Can't trust that other fella,"
He'd judge 'em by the tone of their skin.
He was raised to think like his Dad
:
Narrow mind full of hate.
On the road to no-where fast
,
Till the Grace of God got in the way.
Then he saw the Light an' hit his knees an' cried an' said a prayer
:
Rose up a brand new man; left the old one right there.

Here's to the strong; thanks to the brave.
Don't give up hope: some people change.
Against all odds, against the grain
,
Love finds a way: some people change.
Vegeta listened hard to the lyrics and his heart clenched tight in his chest. `She wrote this? For me?' Vegeta's mind followed the lyrics and they brought him back to a time when he was being raised by his father, and he hated to admit it about his father, but she was right he had been like the man in her song.

She was born with her mother's habit
:
You could say: "It's in her blood."
She hates that she's gotta have it
:
As she fills her glass up.
A she'd love to kill that bottle,
But all she can think about
,
Is a, a better life, a second chance
,
An' everyone she's letting down.
She throws that bottle down.

Here's to the strong; thanks to the brave.
Don't give up hope: some people change.
Against all odds, against the grain
,
Love finds a way: some people change.
 
By the end of the second verse, Vegeta was getting the message of the chorus. She wrote this because she believed he was better than his past. He felt his heart clench again and for the third time in his life he had a tear run down his face. Kakarott was more right than he originally thought. Maybe he was a good father.

Thank God for those who make it
:
Let them be the Light.

(Let them be the light)
(Some people change.)
Here's to the strong; thanks to the brave.
Don't give up hope: some people change.
Against all odds, against the grain
,
Love finds a way: some people change.
Some people change.

(Some people change)
 
The song ended and the crowd cheered. Veronica could see Bulma crying silently in the front row as she too realized the meaning of the song; even her siblings seemed to appreciate it as well. Then she felt him, she looked up and there he was floating above the stadium watching her with wide eyes. Her smile widened and a tear slid down her cheek. Vegeta blinked away his own tears and flew down to her on the stage and pulled her into an uncharacteristic hug in front of the entire stadium. All the Z fighters couldn't fathom it and their mouths hung open in shock. If it was possible Bulma loved Vegeta even more at that moment then she ever had before.
 
Veronica smiled and choked back a sob of happiness and the crowd cheered louder as they could all see the significance of the moment as well. Even the band clapped.
 
“Looks like you got through to him dad.” Goten said to Goku.
 
Goku shook his head. “Nope it was her. And besides he had it in him all along.”
 
Veronica pulled back from the hug and stepped away from the mike. “Dad! You came!”
 
He smirked. “Of course, I wouldn't miss it. However, I didn't know that I would be honored here tonight.”
 
“Of course, why ever your not? You're still a Prince.” Veronica grinned at him.
 
Vegeta actually gave her a genuine smile and touched her cheek. “Thank you, fire ball.” He said using a nickname that he only used for her in private.
 
“I'm not done yet, dad. That is if you can handle the embarrassment some more?” Vegeta chuckled.
 
“You could never embarrass me, besides they are all earthlings their ideas of me matter not, only you, your mother, and your brother and sister matter to me.”
 
Veronica chuckled and shook her head turning back to the mike. “Ladies and Gents, the man of the hour is here at last! My father, Prince Vegeta!”
 
Vegeta turned to look at the sea of faces and they actually started cheering. He smirked and eyed his daughter. Only she could pull such an ovation off for a man such as him.
 
“Now here's another one for you dad!” She said signaling the band to start.
 
Daddy's been a back-row Baptist,
With his share of front-row sin.
His Saturday night still on his breathe,
Every Sunday when he'd walk in.
He's never led the Benediction,
He's never sang in the choir.
But he's an angel with no halo,
An' one wing in the fire.

Mamma lives by the Bible,
The Bible lives by the bed.
An' she's lied alone so many nights,
With scriptures in her head.
Prayin': "Good Lord, just be with him,
"I know his Faith is tired,
"But he's an angel with no halo,
"An' one wing in the fire."

"An' I know he lives a little left of livin' right,
"An he's come close to goin' way to far a few times.
"But I'd trade a thousand prayers if just one prayer would come true:
"Lord, please believe in him, like I believe in you."
 
Vegeta was impressed by how she artfully portrayed him. He knew it was an exaggeration, but in truth his sins were quite worse then that. He just hoped she didn't know how true her own words were. He hadn't just almost gone too far; he had gone too far several times.

Dad
dy's always been there for me,
From T-Ball to touchdowns.
Fixed my car an' fixed my heart,
When they've been broken down.
I know he calls for more forgiveness,
Than most folks do require,
But he's an angel with no halo,
An' one wing in the fire.

An' I know he lives a little left of livin' right,
An he's come close to goin' way to far a few times.
But I'd trade a thousand prayers if just one prayer would come true:
Lord, please believe in him, like I believe in you.

Well, I just can't imagine,
What Heaven might be like.
If me an' Mamma make it,
Wiithout Daddy by our side.
Lord, could you please remember,
When it's time to call us higher:
That he's an angel with no halo,
An' one wing in the fire.
Ooooh.
 
The crowd cheered once again and Vegeta stood proudly next to his daughter clapping himself. She bowed to him and the crowd and gave an ovation to the rest of the band. Vegeta hugged her again and whispered. “Keep it up fireball I'll be down there with your mother watching. So don't screw up!” He said faking an order. Veronica nodded as Vegeta jumped off the stage and turned to her band.
 
“You heard the man! Let's turn it up!”
 
And so it was. Vegeta realized he could be and was a good father and that his family understood him better than he ever though they could and he couldn't ask for more.
 
Songs featured sung by Montgomery Gentry and Trent Tomlinson.