Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ For the Sake of the Saiyan ❯ The Prince Awakens ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A/N: I make no promises about this chapter. It's just one of those "write it and move on" chapters. I had a hard time with it, and it shows. Gomen nasai. The next part should be better. As usual, arigatou Ember-chan and Anai.



Part 6-The Prince Awakens


<"Nemie...wake up, firefly."> A voice echoed in Nemie's mind, a ghost of the past that hadn't been heard in years. A voice that Nemie longed to hear again, strong and real. Trunks's voice. From when she was very young. <"Firefly, you have to wake up."> Firefly. Trunks's nickname for her. He had called Anai Sunny. <"Nemie! They need you! Ne-e-emie...">
Her master's voice faded into a silken, urgent tone. "Nemie! Come on, sis, wake up!"

Nemie opened her eyes at the sound of Anai's call. "What..." She sat up and looked around.

She was no longer bound, she rejoiced for that. Being cut off from her ki made her feel useless and feeble. But, she was in an energy cell. She sat on a cold, circular platform inside a cylinder of translucent, shimmering white energy. Nemie could see through the force field, but everything was slightly distorted and blurred. Outside her cell, she saw a large screen hanging on the opposite wall. On each side of her were cells identical to hers; the one on the right contained Anai, the one on the left held Mercay.

With a sigh, Nemie pressed her back against the energy wall. It held as if it were solid concrete. She knew that if she tried to throw a blast in there, it would simply bounce back and disintegrate her.

"Nemie, are you okay?" Anai asked, pressing her hands against the wall and peering into her sister's cell.

Nemie looked herself over and nodded. "Yeah, I'm a little groggy and burned, but nothing serious. What about the others?"

"Lorn doesn't remember anything and he's been sick a couple times. I think they gave him
tranquilizers. Other than that, we're alright."

"What's happened? Has Ryukin brought Vegeta back yet?"

Anai shook her head sadly. "Not yet. I don't know what's keeping him."

"He was waiting for you all to wake up so you can witness it yourselves." A voice spoke up. They all turned to see Kyris sitting in a chair in the corner of the room, guarding them closely.

Nemie curled her lip and stood up to face the blond. "Come here and let me rip your face off, you bloodthirsty traitor."

"You don't need to get mean, Nemie. You're all lucky Ryukin's blessing you by letting you see this event. I asked to kill you myself, but he wants you to watch the beginning of the end before you die." Kyris stood up and walked toward Nemie's cell. "Exciting, isn't it?" His once reckless smile was now bone-chillingly cruel.

Nemie snarled at him like a feral beast. "And to think I was actually starting to like you."

Kyris reached out his hand and, because of the energy-deflecting wristband he wore, was able to slide his hand through the enclosure wall. He gently ran his knuckles across Nemie's jawline.

"Why don't you join us, Nemie? It's so much more fun, and the freedom is amazing! We do whatever we want and no one can stop us." He asked, his pale blue eyes searching her deep blue ones.

Nemie turned her face toward his hand and savagely bit his fingers.

Kyris jerked back with a curse of pain and his eyes shone with anger. He threw a hasty punch that snapped Nemie's head back and slammed her against the other side of the cell.

He continued to swear as the Renegades burst into taunting laughter.

"Gotta be careful around Nemie," Ren said mockingly, "her bite's worse than her bark."

Anai grinned heartlessly. "My sister likes pork. You shouldn't get too close, pig."

"All of you shut up!" Kyris growled. "Or I'll kill you right now regardless of what Ryukin wants!"

Nemie straightened slowly and rubbed her tender jaw. She met Kyris's eyes and wiped the trickle of blood from her chin with the back of her hand. It wasn't her blood, it was his.

Kyris glared at her, then spun to push a button on the control panel on the wall. The giant screen sprang to life and the face of a bald, deep purple skinned woman came into view.

"What is it, Major?"

"Lieutenant Jaque, inform the General that the prisoners are awake."

"Right away, sir." The screen went blank for a second, then changed to a new scene. The infirmary, where Vegeta lay still unconscious. Ryukin stood to one side of him, Pichu sat in a chair in the corner, one doctor in a lab coat leaned over a computer close by, and two other guards were posted just inside the door.

Ryukin turned to face the screen, a smirk plastered across his face. "Glad to see all of you awake. You're just in time to see the miracle that's going to wipe this little planet out."

"What makes you think he'll even work for you, Ryukin?" Lorn asked, suddenly defiant. "He was enslaved by Frieza for so long, he won't ever go back into bondage again."

"Believe me, Alikai, I am well aware of Vegeta's past. But I intend to 'promote' him and make him believe he is in charge." The general's smirk grew wider. "I have been planning a lie so flawless that he'll have no doubts."

The Renegades were silent. There was nothing they could say or do, except watch helplessly.

With a slight nod, Ryukin chuckled roughly. "And to think you risked everything just for the sake of this Saiyan. Pure foolishness." He turned to the old man in the lab coat. "Doctor, give him the senzu bean now."

The man complied without a word, taking one bean out of the bag and moving to stand next to Vegeta. He stuffed the bean into the Saiyan's mouth and waited for it to take affect.

There was nothing but stillness for a few moments. The anxiety rose in both rooms, and the Renegades were silently praying to Kami that this didn't backfire.

Finally, Vegeta's hands clenched into fists and his eyes slid open. It took a minute for his vision to focus, and when it did, he sucked in a surprised gasp. He sat up quickly, looking around, a mixture of emotions twisting his harsh face. The dominant one was confusion.

Anai breathed in sharply. Those eyes...so dark and desolate. It was then did she see the true
Prince of the Saiyans...cold, deeply scarred and grave. She wondered in the back of her mind if bringing him back was such a good idea.

"What in the nine hells..." Vegeta said, his voice raspy.

Ryukin quickly spoke up. "Prince Vegeta, I'm glad to see you finally awake."

Vegeta swung his stony gaze toward the general. "Who are you? What's going on?"
"Allow me to explain. I am General Ryukin of the Dark Army." Ryukin cleared his throat. "What do you remember?"

The Saiyan's brow pinched together as he thought. "I...was in Hell. For a very long time. I was dead."

"You died trying to kill Majin Buu."

"Yes, I did. How am I here now? And where's Buu? And Kakarot?"

"We, the Dark Army, destroyed Majin Buu a few weeks after you sacrificed yourself. That was over forty years ago. As for Goku, the man you call Kakarot..." He pointed toward the monitor. "Their kind killed him, many years ago."

The Renegades just stood there, shocked. Ren recovered first.

"Lying baka!" He shouted. "Goku was already dead!"

Vegeta's eyes widened slightly. "Who are they?"

"Let me start from the beginning." Ryukin said calmly, as if he'd rehearsed it. "After you died, my father, who lead the Dark Army then, destroyed Babidi and Buu. The Z Fighters joined us and we soon were the protectors of Earth. Then a group of evil Renegades appeared and began ransacking the world, killing people for sport. They built up their forces and attempted to destroy the planet, but we stood in their way. In one of our many battles, the remaining Z Fighters were lost. These six you see now are the only Renegades left. They are the reason you are alive today; they brought your body back in hopes of lying to you and making you a tool in their total domination. The Army rescued you and finally found a way to wake you from your coma."
Vegeta stared at the screen, taking in the information. Suddenly his features softened just slightly.

"What of...my wife and son?"

Ryukin had been waiting for that question. It was the coupe de grace that would make him believe.
"Do you see that redheaded girl? When we arrived on the scene, she was standing over Bulma's burned body with Trunks's head in her hands."

Anai's mouth dropped at the accusation. Her heart beat heavily in her chest when Vegeta's rage-filled stare fell on her. Somehow, she was able to find her voice.

"Lies! All of it! Vegeta, please don't listen to him!" She cried.

But Vegeta turned away. "What do you want from me?"

Ryukin seemed taken aback. "Whatever do you mean?"

"You woke me for a reason. What do you want?"

Ryukin shook his head, his blood red eyes filled with false innocence. "We only ask for your assistance in ridding the world, and others if needed, of true evils such as these."

Vegeta crossed his arms over his chest. "I am no freedom fighter. Unlike that fool Kakarot, I have no use for peace and happiness." He practically spat the word. Then his shoulders slumped.
"Without war, I have nothing left to live for."

Nemie looked at Anai. A flicker of hope flashed in their eyes. Maybe, just maybe, the Army's plan won't work.

"Vegeta, we need your help. There are no shortages of battles in this line of work." Pichu spoke up. A wicked smile crossed her features. "At times, you almost feel like the bad guy."

Ryukin shot his colonel a warning look. She would ruin all of this if she didn't keep her mouth shut.

Vegeta stood up slowly. "I have no reason to live anymore, with my wife and child gone."

"We can give you purpose, Vegeta." Ryukin almost purred, feeling he was just inches from victory.
"You will be one of the highest officers, just a notch below my status. You'll have unlimited power."

The prince hesitated, considering. The Renegades held their breath, waiting for his answer.
Finally, he sighed. "Very well. I will join you."