Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Foundling ❯ New Life! ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]



The seasons came and went, two to be exact, and the elves celebrated new life as well as death as the circle continued to turn. Yellowthorn and Reed recognized, which was almost as much a shock to them as it was to the others, especially Darksnow, who, even though he had stopped sleeping in the same den as Yellowthorn, still harbored a large amount of love in his heart for the reckless female. But, even he knew that their number was small and any cublings, no matter how they came about, were welcome.

Yellowthorn, even though round with the coming cubling, did not relish the idea of settling down with just one elf, be he her recognized or not, and choice instead to den with her mother, father and Littleleaf. Neither her parents nor Littleleaf seemed to mind the crowdedness.

Late one evening, Half-Eye and Brightspear asleep beside them, curled into each other as lifemates as old as they often did, Yellowthorn lay awake with Littleleaf beside her, listening to the sounds of the forest at night. Finally, unable to stay silent any longer, the child spoke up; "Yellowthorn, what is it like? Having another person inside you? I'd think it's be very uncomfortable."

Stifling a giggle, Yellowthorn reached across in the darkness and found the little green hand. She placed it on her belly and said; "Not so bad as some might think, little one." Littleleaf gasped as he felt the skin ripple beneath his palm and nearly drew his hand away again, instead he stayed it and became silent, listening and feeling; "He sounds like he wants out, Yellowthorn."

"Soon, Littleleaf." Yellowthorn said, smiling in the darkness, "He'll be out soon enough."

"How does he get out of you?" Littleleaf asked, curious, "Do you have to cut him out of there?"

This time, Yellowthorn could not help a burst of laughter. She hugged him to her side and said; "No, cub. There is a place between a female's legs that a cubling can emerge from, perfect and healthy. It is the way of things."

From the the awed 'Oh' sound next to her, Yellowthorn realized that although her explaination lacked certain clarification, he seemed to understand for the most part. Being raised in the holt, he'd seen males and females and noticed the differences between the two, the way the females relieved themselves and they way the males did.

He knew that the females had a funny little opening between their legs that he he thought, now, that Yellowthorn was telling him that her baby would come out of. He did not have what Half-Eye had and he did not have what Yellowthorn did, but he never really thought very hard about it, it never seemed to matter much. They all loved him as he was, regardless of what he had or had not.

Still, as he became older, he was more curious about what other's had and how they worked. Yellowthorn and her upcoming cubling only served to fuel his curiousity. He asked her a million and one questions ranging from how she made water to recognition and joining to the birth of the child, when it was due. For her part, Yellowthorn did not mind the questions and somewhat enjoyed their long conversations in which she attempted, to the best of her ability, to answer them all for him. For an elf, modesty was pretty much unheard of, so none of his questions embarraced her.

Early one morning, Yellowthorn felt the first stirrings of labor and woke Littleleaf along with her Mother and Father.

"It's time." Was all she needed to say. She had already sent a message to Reed, that he should get his butt to her den if her wanted to greet his newborn into the world. Brightspear helped clear the den to make room for the birth. Littleleaf sat in the corner, out of the way, but still within the group and able to see what was happening. Yellowthorn smiled over at him before the pains started in ernest.

It took a little less than three hours for the child to come out. Yellowthorn, her face beaded with sweat, but happy because she had heard her child's soulname within her heart and head and that she had her family with her to share in this most magical of moments.

The infant was a female. Wrapping her up in soft light purple blankets tanned and dyed by their chief himself, who stood waiting outside of word of the cubling, Brightspear handed her to the waiting mother.

Pealing back the cover from her little red face, Yellowthorn motioned for Littleleaf to come closer; "Here we are, Littleleaf." She whispered, her throat sore from emotion, "What do you think of her?"

He looked down at her and squeezed his eyes into slits, studying her, finally he looked at Yellowthorn and said; "She's awfully small, isn't she? And she doesn't look very happy."

"Oh, she's just hungry." Yellowthorn said; "I'll fix that in a moment. What do you think we should call her?"

A name seemed to come out the air into his head. He didn't know where he'd heard this name before, if ever. It felt as if, maybe, he had known someone with the name once or would know.in another lifetime. Without hesitating a moment longer, Littleleaf whispered the name into Yellowthorn's ear, making her eyes light up.

"What a perfect name." She sighed, and kissed the tip of the baby's tiny nose; she whispered, "Ryven."

The name just felt.right.