Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ House of Ashes ❯ Reclaiming the Lost ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: Yes, I know I shouldn't be starting another one, but this wouldn't go away. Sorry.

Mailing list/discussion forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nadialist/

Disclaimer: I don't own DBZ.

House of Ashes

by Nadia Rose

nadiarose3@hotmail.com

Chi stood in front of the building that the Saiyans called their headquarters. It wasn't much; nothing like she'd expected. A dingy renovated warehouse in the middle of one of the common parts of Eastern Capitol, she'd seen bigger in the little dock towns Master Roshi had bought his supplies in, and it housed the creatures that most people on the planet feared. Well, she wasn't one of those people. A bunch of aliens wouldn't keep her from getting what she wanted. The slender girl pulled herself up, straightened her worn shirt, and marched inside.

The building wasn't much on the inside, either. There was a frazzled human woman sitting at the desk, typing away on a dinosaur of a typewriter. A string of cracked plastic seats faced her desk, but they were all empty. As far as Chi could tell, there wasn't anybody in the building but the secretary and herself. But she had to get this done if she wanted to go home.

Home. A word she hadn't used in a long time.

The secretary at the battered desk, one Miranda Mizu, found herself confronted by about 5 and a half feet of righteous teenage girl. She didn't look like much-her jeans were cut open at the knees and her shirt obviously belonged to a man much bigger than herself, but the black eyes blazing down at her commanded a bit of respect. Miranda actually turned her chair away from the typewriter and towards the girl. "Can I help you?"

"Yes," the girl replied coolly. "I'm here to claim confiscated property."

The secretary fought the urge to roll her eyes and settled popping the wad of gum in her cheek instead. "Oh, sure honey. We get people like you in here everyday. If you've got a valid claim and can prove it, I'll give you paperwork to fill out. If not, you'd better get out of here before the Saiyans catch you trying to take what belongs to them."

The girl stared down at her, features hardening. "Mt. Frypan is mine," she insisted in a low tone. "It doesn't belong in the hands of a Saiyan."

The secretary raised one plucked eyebrow and examined the slip of a girl in front of her. "Everybody from the dockworker's daughter to the Princess of Wales has been in here to claim Mt. Frypan. What makes you think you're the missing Princess?"

Reaching down the front of her shirt, the girl yanked a necklace from around her neck and dangled it in front of the secretary, giving her a good look at the ornate ring that was threaded onto the chain. "Is this good enough?"

The secretary eyed the ring, especially the intricate carvings and the blood red stone that gleamed angrily in the dim light. She didn't have to look closer to see the crest inlaid onto the stone, or the name engraved on the inside of the band. Startled brown eyes flew to meet the dark ones of the long-missing Princess. "I'll go get the Commander," she murmured quietly, and hustled towards the back of the building.

The girl wandered back over to the dingy window to stand in the comfortable sunlight, crossed her arms, and waited.

She came back nearly fifteen minutes later; or rather they came back, for standing behind the dowdy figure of the secretary was a hulk of a man who had to be a Saiyan. He was huge, taller than anyone Chi could remember with any certainty, and had more muscles than a classical hero. If she was lucky, she might come to the middle of his chest.

"Miss," the alien's voice was deep and smooth like oil.

Chi refused to be intimidated. "Commander?"

"I am called Toma," the Saiyan replied. "Do you have the ring?"

The hand clutching the chain and the precious ring was thrust towards his chest.

He took it from her and examined it carefully, thickened fingers prodding the surface with surprising deftness. Chi waited as he observed every inch of the ring she'd had since forever. It had been her father's ring-the man who'd buried him had given it to her. As long as the Saiyan didn't damage it she wouldn't have to hurt anything, but if he did something to it she wasn't sure what she'd do.

She had little to worry about; after several minutes, he handed it back. "Where did you get it?"

Chi fastened the chain around her neck once more, dropping the ring back down beneath her shirt. "The man who brought my parents home gave it to me," she returned, an image of that man flashing in her memory, the heavy spiked hair, and the skin coated in blood. Her eyes flicked towards the Saiyans she could see standing in the shadows. He wasn't one of them.

The Saiyan in front of her, Toma, was watching her with a neutral expression. "You are the right age," he commented, and then put gloved fingers beneath her chin to study her features. "Your coloring is the same, and you have the ring."

"I am Mao Chichi," she insisted.

The big man shrugged. "There is nothing about you to suggest otherwise." He sank into one of the chairs, never taking his eyes off hers. "But where have you been for the past twelve years?"

"Studying beneath my father's master," she answered honestly, realizing with a start that the short Saiyan in the back corner was actually female. The Princess focused back on the Commander. "Muten Roshi. You would have heard of him, I believe."

"Indeed I have." The Saiyan steepled his hands in thought, looking remarkably pensive for a being that had ruthlessly slaughtered every army that had ever acted against him. "Where do you stand?" His dark eyes bored a hole into her skull. "Your parents led the first Rebellion against us. Will you do the same?"

She didn't even flinch. "I am not my parents, Commander."

"No, you aren't. But you haven't answered my question. Will you lead the Rebellion?"

The girl trembled, but looked straight into his eyes. Sitting in the chair, he was practically the same height she was. "All I want, Commander," her voice turned flinty, "Is to go home. I have nothing to rebel against, but I do have a kingdom that needs my attention."

The look she gave the Saiyan was a borderline glare, one that had sent her brothers scurrying for cover many a time. "That is," she amended delicately, "if you decide to return it to me."

Toma sat in the chair and watched the girl before him. Sharp as a tack and with a tongue to match, she'd neatly avoided all of his questions. He was inclined to let her go just out of respect for the spirit that kept her standing strong in the middle of the people that had occupied her planet in a matter of days. Not even the so-called planetary leaders could do that.

But even her existence was a threat. Her parents had organized and led a Rebellion against them an amazingly short time twelve years ago and had almost succeeded. Panboukin would forever walk with a limp thanks to the King's axe, and Totepo's power level had never returned from the flame-haired witch's final attack. The rest of their army had been far too skilled in the use of energy attacks for Toma's peace of mind and, according to their informant, the daughter had the same capabilities as her mother.

In other words, the slip of a human in front of him was theoretically capable of producing the same attack that had taken the lives of several Saiyans as well as the one that had drained Totepo's power as if it were nothing.

He had to do something.

Casting his mind about for a suitable solution to his dilemma, a possibility suddenly formulated with the ease that had suggested it had been there all along. It was deliciously simple and would handle another of his problems at the same time. The unofficial leader of the conquering Saiyans glanced up towards his people, who were clustered together in the darkness, judging the girl as he had been. "Kakarotto!"

The boy stepped out from the back of the crowd, the spikes of his dark hair set in a familiar manner. For someone who had never actually met his father, Kakarot was blessed with the ability to always remember what he'd looked like. All he had to do was look in a mirror. Even for Saiyans the family resemblance was uncanny.

Toma glanced into the dark eyes that looked at him curiously. "Sir?"

He nodded towards the Princess, who was still standing like a rock next to the window. "I want you to accompany the Princess back to Mount Frypan," he kept his voice even, but made sure Kakarot was reading his meaning. "The roads are filled with dangerous travelers, and we wouldn't want her to be bothered before she gets home."

The girl snorted, but Toma was still watching the young Saiyan carefully. Kakarot nodded imperceptibly. "And after we have reached the mountain, I am to come back, correct?"

Toma shook his head, completely unaware of the twists he was about to throw in Destiny's rope. "The palace hasn't been occupied in a long time. I'm sure the Princess could use a set of hands as strong as yours and a sharp eye for intruders."

"I'll be fine," the girl insisted.

Toma gave her an ingratiating smile. "It will give Kakarotto something to do, Princess, and a chance to refamiliarize himself with the culture. He has been away a long time and could use a refresher."

The Princess sighed, realizing no matter how nicely put, she had just been saddled with a person she did not want and there was absolutely nothing she could do about it. "Am I to quarter him, then?"

Kakarot gave her a slightly rebellious look. Toma hid his grin. If there was one thing that annoyed a Saiyan, it was talking about him like he wasn't there. Covering his amusement, he forced another smile. "If you don't mind Princess. I simply don't have anywhere else to put him right now without terrorizing some poor family. He can be useful to you."

The look the Saiyan teenager shot him was priceless. The boy didn't like this at all, but like any true warrior he would accept his duty.

The Princess stared at the Saiyan for a moment, then nodded. "Very well." She cocked her head, dark hair following the movement. "Am I correct to assume that if I go back to Mt. Frypan now I won't be accused of theft and shot?"

He nodded.

"Good." The girl eyed the Saiyan who stood next to Toma. "I'm leaving now. Are you coming?" Without waiting for an answer, she turned on her heel and marched out of the room.

Kakarot tossed Toma one last furious glare and followed. It would be the last day he ever spent in the Saiyan Barracks on Earth.