Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ How the Dragon Got His Balls Back ❯ The Quest ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Dragonball Z was created by Akira Toriyama. It is owed/licensed by Toei, Bird Studios, Shonen Jump, Funimation, and Viz. In other words, not by me. This is a fanwork made by fans for fans. No money was made in the production of this work.
 
AN: And yes this is a Dragonball Z story - it is just a full of original flair.
 
How the Dragon Got His Balls Back
By LadyLark
 
Chapter 1: The Quest
 
~*~
 
Listen my children and I will tell you a tale. A tale like no other. It is a tale of heroism and sacrifice. A tale of skill, luck and cunning. The tale of our beginnings. The tale of how the dragon got his balls back.
 
Once upon a time, when dragons still roamed the land, there lived a young man by the name of Conh. Conh was a very good youth. He devoted himself to caring for his elderly father while trying to scrape a meager existence as a farmer out of the land. But the land itself was cursed, blanketed in a seemingly endless winter that had stretched on for over two years. People whispered that the world itself was dying, but no one knew the truth of it.
 
One cold evening, things took a turn for the worse, villagers started falling ill to a vicious wasting sickness. At first, it was the elderly who were affected. Then, the children started to be struck down. The healer tried to attend to all of the sick, but it became too much for him and he too succumbed to the disease.
 
In a panic, the remaining healthy town leaders convened to attempt to find a solution. They debated for hours. Ideas were thrown about like a leaves in the wind. Eventually, they decided that they needed a champion: someone to seek out the seven ancient Dragons and get their help.
 
The next question posed is who they would nominate to make the journey. This time, the debate was much shorter. All of the leaders voted that Conh be the one to approach the Dragons.
 
Tracking through the snow, the council head, Brank made his way to the little hut Conh shared with his father. Through the windows, Brank could see Conh sitting by his father, attempting to spoon liquid into the old man. His heart filled with trepidation, Brank knocked on the door.
 
Conh opened the door, a look of surprise clearly etched on his features.
 
“Good evening, Elder Brank. I didn't expect to see anyone tonight. Won't you please come in?”
 
Stamping his feet to rid them of snow, the elder replied. “Thank you, Conh. Do you by any chance have something hot to drink? It's frightfully cold out here.”
 
The youth nodded, opening the door a wider. “Just some hot water. I ran out of tea a few days ago.”
 
“That'll be fine.” Brank stepped into the small home and settled himself on one of the chairs near the fire. “I have a favor to ask you, my boy.”
 
Conh stopped from where he was rummaging around the kitchen to look at Brank. “A favor?” he asked, curiously. “What kind of favor?”
 
“I need, that is, we, the council, need you to undertake a quest for us.”
 
“What kind of quest?”
 
Brank took a deep breath. “The most important kind. We want you to go visit the Seven Ancient Dragons and beseech their help. You may have noticed that our whole village is dying. Not all at once. But a little bit at a time. First it was the crops, then the livestock, now . . . well now we are.”
 
Conh nodded slowly. “Why go to the dragons?”
 
“Because, they are reputed to be the oldest and wisest of creatures in this land. If anyone, or anything, would know of the way to heal us, it would be them.”
 
“Why me?”
 
“You're the best of us.”
 
“I don't see that. I'm just a farmer. And I've got my father to take care of.”
 
“You aren't just a farmer; you are the strongest and kindest man we know. Everyone likes you. You are the best representative that our village has to offer.”
 
“I don't think so. Why don't you go?”
 
“Conh, I am old. I am only a few years younger than your father. I would go. And I would die on the journey,” Brank answered bluntly.
 
“What about my father?” Conh asked. “I can't just leave him!”
 
Brank sighed; he knew that this would be the crux of the argument. “Conh -“ he began, when a thin voice interrupted.
 
“You can go, son.”
 
Conh hurried over to the chair by his father's bed. “Father . . .”
 
“You're a good boy, and I'm proud of you. But you have to do what is right,” he paused, struggling to breathe. “This . . . this quest . . . this quest is right.”
 
“Please, Conh. The village needs you.”
 
The youth's shoulders slumped in defeat. “All right, I'll do it.”
 
“Thank you, Conh,” Brank said gratefully. “Thank you.”
 
“So, where do I find these Seven Dragons?”
 
“Legend tells that they reside in a cave hidden deep within Mt. Kamen, which is about a week's journey from here. I don't know much more than that.”
 
Conh nodded, never taking his eyes off his father. “I'll leave in the morning.” At the old man's nod, he looked sharply at Brank. “I am trusting you to care of him, that is the condition of my acceptance. I don't want him left alone.”
 
“I promise to care for him like he were my own kin.” Brank stood. “Now, I need to get back to my family. I will be by in the morning to see you off.”
 
~*~
 
AN: If you made it here, I am surprised and honored. This story is a little weird and is my take on a fairy tale in the DBZ universe. Try to guess what story I am telling here. The clues are there. I have the next part written & it should be published in the next few days.
 
Let me know what you think! Any and all reviews, criticism, etc. is accepted and encouraged.
 
Thanks!