Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ In The Hands Of The Prophet ❯ Stranger in the snow. ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's notes: I've noticed that not many people tend to write fiction about Juunanagou (Android 17), which I feel, is a bit of a shame. He's a very interesting, complex character, and it's a pity that his character wasn't delved into more in the Dragonball series. So, for my first attempt at Dragonball fiction, I've chosen Juunanagou as my leading man…er…. cyborg…. whatever. This story is A/U, taking place some time after the Super Android 17 saga. The Evil Shenlong saga does not occur.

And, although I am aware of what happens in the Super Android 17 saga, I have not actually seen it. There may be a few little 'mistakes' on my part because of that fact, but I shall endeavor to be as accurate as possible.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and please review!

Disclaimer: Dragonball Z/GT and its characters do not belong to me. They are the property of Mr Akira Toriyama. Except for Armes, who belongs to be because I created her. So leave her alone.

In The Hands Of The Prophet.

Prologue: Stranger in the snow.

Winter had broken.

After what had seemed an eternity of frosted white and mind-numbing coldness, winter's hand was finally relinquishing it's death grip on the Lothian Valley and the surrounding forest. Spring was slowly pushing its way in, gradually seeping warmth into the earth's chilled bones.

But it wasn't over yet.

It was still rather frigid, the morning air biting rather spitefully at Armes' face as she pulled her woolskin jacket tighter around her. She found herself wishing for the umpteenth that she had remembered to wear her scarf. Winter was being stubborn. It was determined to show that it still had some kick left in it. She pulled the jacket tighter, cursing silently.

"My face is going to resemble a tomato by the time I get back to the cabin. Great time to choose for a leisurely stroll, Armes."

She picked up the pace a little, eager to get back to her cabin and the warm respite it promised. It was not her permanent home, rather a holiday house of sorts. She had purchased it several years ago as safe haven for her to escape to when living in Satan City became too much. She was a bit of a loner by nature, and she enjoyed the quiet solitude that the forest offered her. Besides, living in the city…. with the noise…. all the voices and images were sometimes overwhelming. With so many people living there it was sometimes hard to ignore them all. The valley with its silent forest helped to clear her mind.

The wind picked up suddenly, and she shivered. She increased her pace even more. She could feel the storm coming, approaching from the horizon, southward. Winter wanted to go out with a bang, it seemed.

It wasn't until about five minutes of power jogging that she realized she was heading the wrong way. She was moving away from the trees, heading away from the path that would lead into the forest and take her to her shelter. She was going in the opposite direction, back the way she had come. Moving across the snow covered ground towards the river. She could see it now, the water's movement sluggish, clogged with great chunks of ice. She furrowed her brow, puzzled. She knew she had to head back, turn around and make for the trees, but she continued on her course. Something was pulling her this way.

"And why are we going this way, Armes dear?"

The snow was not as thick here, partially melted by yesterday's warmth and the sun's brief interlude. She continued to crunch her way towards the river, scanning the landscape with sharp eyes. Something was here.

"There."

Less than twenty metres in front of her was a strange shape, covered by a thin crust of snow. She felt quite silly. She had not noticed it before. At first it appeared to be a deer carcass, or the remains of some other unfortunate animal that had met its end at the hands of winter. But no, she realized it could be none of those things. The shape on the ground seemed much too…human.

She knelt down beside the still figure, and without hesitation brushed away the suffocating frost with one gloved hand. She felt her chest ache with pity at what she uncovered.

A young man lay prone before her, his body and face frozen in exactly the same positions they must have been in when he died. He lay on his back, his legs twisted around towards her, arms splayed on either side of his body, head turned to face her. His clothes were in tatters, and Armes doubted that even if they had been whole they would not have helped to prevent his death. His dark blue jeans were badly torn in several places, and strips of black and white material clung to his upper body. It seemed that he had been wearing two shirts; a white one underneath and a black one over the top of it. There was also a scrap of orange around his neck. Perhaps from a scarf or bandanna.

It was his face however, that caught her attention the most. He was startlingly handsome. No, beautiful was a better word for it, like a great work of art sculpted from marble. His hair, though encrusted with ice, was of the purest ebony, so dark it seemed that no light could exist within it. His sharply angled eyebrows accentuated the finer details of his face. The soft jaw line, the fall of his lashes on the impossibly smooth cheek, the perfectly formed lips. Yes, he was very beautiful. Armes knew that he would have been even more beautiful if he were alive.

With a sad smile, she placed her hand on the cold, white cheek. "Sorry, beautiful. I guess I just didn't make it here in time."

Having said that, she stood and turned to leave. She'd get back to her cabin as soon as possible, call the nearest town sheriff and tell him what she-

She stopped.

She could not leave.

She whirled around to face the figure again, and knelt down once more. Pulling off one glove, she held her now bare fingers in front of his nose and mouth. Waiting.

And she felt it. The slightest breath of warm air caressed her fingers, causing them to tingle ever so slightly.

She raised an eyebrow. She had not come out here to see a corpse after all. Quickly donning her glove, she carefully slipped her arms underneath his slender body and hauled him onto her shoulders. He was not as heavy as she had thought he would be, and with a sigh of relief she turned and began to trudge as quickly as possible towards the forest.

Anyone else would have been overwhelmed, perhaps even shocked had it happened to them. They would have claimed it to be an extreme stroke of good luck, perhaps even a miracle that they had been in the right place at the right time. For Armes it was neither of these. She had been here because she was meant to be. And she had found him because she had known.

She smiled. "It seems I'll get to meet you after all, beautiful."

To Be Continued…

So, how was that? Good? Bad? Passable? This is my first Dragonball fic so please give me feedback. I'd really appreciate it.

SiS