Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Innocence Reborn ❯ New Beginnings ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: We don't own Dragonball Z, if we did, there would be many more Piccolo centered episodes ^^

Author's Notes: Aura here, this is a co-fic between me [Aura Starfire] and Kaeli. It's an AU and is set not long after Goku returns and Trunks comes to tell them of the danger posed by the Androids in the future. Remember, because this will probably mess up continuity, that is why it is an AU. All flames will be used to keep me warm this winter. Comments and suggestions always appreciated.

Ok, first off, I want to apologize to everyone who read the original. But we promise now to have new chapters for you to read. I've left the original three chapters up as a separate fanfic to preserve the reviews and my two original chapters. Basic summery of the fic, Gohan uses the dragon balls to wish Piccolo into a kid, totally and utter chaos [and lots of fun] follow ^-^

Innocence Reborn - Chapter One : New Beginnings

By Aura and Kaeli-Chan the Great

A storm raged, sweeping through the air and shaking everything around it, the wind bent the trees menacingly down to it's will, some branches broke under the pressure while others creaked ominously, the high wind sweeping the grass so that it appeared to move of it's own will. Nothing was still, rain poured down in torrents, drenching everything in its path, and coupled with the wind, completing the spell of the storm. The sky was already dark, but now it became almost pitch-black, unnatural on a hot summer day, but it had not rained for weeks, only the incessent heat which kept beaming down continuously.

It had appeared so suddenly and seemed so unnatural, that it was as if an unknown force had brought it there.

Only two people could be seen, the shorter of them pushing past the gales towards seven spherical objects, each the colour of amber and emblazoned with stars, ranging from having one, to seven, none were exactly alike. Each one glowed with an unnatural light. Gohan gathered precious air into his lungs and shouted as loud as he could, almost drowned out by the deafening weather, but his voice rang out loud and clear, leaving his throat hoarse.

"ARISE DRAGON!"

The younger of the 2, Gohan, stepped up to the orbs and shouted as loud as he could, gathering the air into his lungs, his voice cried out long and clear and left his throat feeling hoarse.

His voice seemed to be lost on the trails of the wind and Gohan watched the orbs on the ground for any signs of change, agonizing seconds seemed to pass until the storm began to die down, as quickly as it had appeared. Moving his gaze back to the objects on the ground, his wide eyes saw as they began glowing brighter than ever, the star markings on each seeming to disappear, then the glow appeared to spread to all of them, turning the group into one shimmering area of light, suddenly arching upwards, twisting and turning, the light stretching into an infinitely long shape.

The light cleared, Gohan and Krillan found themselves looking up towards the impressive form of the eternal dragon, the green scales shimmering in the light radiating off the body which seemed to go on forever, the clawed hands clenched, then unfurled as Shenlong awakened, closed lids opening, revealing deep red eyes which focused on the duo as his head lowered, fixing his gaze.

Both Krillan and Gohan shook, making no sound, it did not matter that this was not the first time they had seen the dragon, it would always affect them this way, in the same way as a new, powerful, enemy in battle did, except that they were glad that Shenlong was not an enemy, but a valuable ally. Without the dragon balls, Goku would not be here now, and it would not be unfair to say that most of them owed their lives to the sayian, and the dragon balls.

Shenlong growled, deep in his throat, he was used to their reaction, but it did not make it any less irritating, or impatient.

'You have summoned me, make your wish so that I may leave'

Echoing off every single cliffside and rock, the sound surrounded them as if it were a net, with no hope of escape. Krillan gulped and glanced at Gohan, the kid was as awestruck as he was, but Gohan had been the one to propose the wish, as strange as it had seemed to the monk, and so he would be the one to make it. Nudging him, Krillan smirked as Gohan jumped slightly, then with one final deep breath, stepped forward to make his wish.

"He's going to kill me if he finds out" Was the last thought crossing the demi-Sayian's mind.

- - - - -

Miles away from the serene valley, in the colder antarctic region of the planet, a solitary figure sat in the meditation position, his eyes closed and arms resting on crossed legs, his head was slightly lowered and for all intents and purposes, he appeared to be asleep. This would not seem so strange, unless you counted the fact that not only was he over twenty feet in the air, hovering under some strange force with no visible explanation, but that he was also green. Clad in a simple purple uniform, a dark blue sash tied around his waist, he also sported a white cape and turban.

Piccolo had his eyes closed, concentrating hard, but was defiantly not sleeping, not advisable at that moment, proven as they flashed open, his meditative stance unfolding as he ducked, narrowly missing a mirror image, identical to his own, rushing past him, crashing into the mountainside, he smirked as he saw the split form pulling itself from the rock, turning back and glaring at him.

"Can't get me that easily....oof!" Piccolo finished his sentence only to be cut off as another split form shimmered into existence right behind him, Piccolo turned just to see a fist heading straight for his stomach, he doubled over, pain shooting through his midsection, instead of attacking, the identical copies just watched, giving him the same overconfident smirk he had on his face a few moments before. This simply infuriated Piccolo further, the Namakian growled, spitting out some blood, further showing his differences with the deep shade of purple, then took on a fighting stance.

The fight began again, two against one, not normally considered fair odds, unless you knew every move your opponent would, and could use. This would make the fight fairer then, but when the fighters are all Piccolo, fair does not enter the equation, as one small child knew. Piccolo launched, sending a fist straight into one of the split forms, he continued a barrage of kicks and punches, and then finished it with a ki-blast, sending his opponent flying back into the mountain. He followed it, fixing it with a glance as the other nodded. Bracing himself, Piccolo grunted as he merged back with it, the odd feeling spreading throughout his body on doing so.

After they were once again together, Piccolo turned to face the second and last split form, using the same plan of physical attack. The fighting stopped when both felt something in the distance, and as Piccolo turned to see the darkening sky far off, he realised somebody was making a wish, although he was curious, his mind was more focused on the fight. But when he began to feel a strange dizzy feeling throughout his body, it became apparent that the wish had something to do with him. Not by his own force, he merged with the last split form, then saw his body enveloped in an unnatural glow.

Something was changing, and Piccolo did not realise the ki-blast, sent at his opponent moments before they rejoined, now headed for the mountain. Only when it impacted, cracks appearing throughout it, was his attention drawn, but by this time it was too late, pieces of the peak falling straight for Piccolo, who, unable to move or say anything because of whatever was happening, could only widen his eyes in shock as they fell...

- - - - -

'Your wish has been granted, I now bid you farewell'

Shenlong's eyes closed and his body was enveloped in a blaze of light, breaking off and a shaft of light absorbed by each dragon ball, which, when this was done, hovered in the air until each flew off in a different direction, landing in many different places. The clouds parted, and the sky lost the strange darkness, light blazing on the landscape, the blazing heat returning. Both Gohan and Krillan had to squint, raising a hand to their eyes in order to see.

Turning to Krillan, Gohan tried in vain to get rid of the nervous feeling "you think it worked?" he tentively probed, as the full realisation of what he had done dawned on him, his nerves doubling full force "man! Piccolo's going to kill me!" the demi-saiyan exclaimed, eyes wide. Krillan smiled at him, he hadn't made the wish, so he didn't have to fear anything, though, when he thought harder, it didn't really matter if he hadn't actually made the wish, not when you were dealing with Piccolo.

Still, he tried to reassure Gohan.

"He won't y'know, not if the wish worked right, they always did before"

Gohan nodded, every wish he had been present to see and had done exactly what it required. Still, he felt a creeping feeling up his spine just thinking about what Piccolo would say... "I guess so...we should probably go find him though..."

The monk nodded his approval "yeah, you never know what Piccolo will do...so where is he?"

Gohan smirked "he said he was tired of having to hang around our house all the time, he went training in the mountains" pointing in the distance "I was meant to go train with him, but I told him mom was making me study...and I told mom I was training with Piccolo"

Hovering in the air, Krillan shook his head "maybe you should have wished your mom would forget too, she'll be pretty mad if I know Chi-Chi" This made Gohan gulp, flying into the air to hover beside Krillan, who took off, tapping Gohan on the shoulder before doing so. Smirking, he flew off, soon catching his friend, they slowed down slightly, the monk pointing to the just visible mountain range off in the far distance.

"I'm surprised they're still standing"

"Huh?"

Catching Gohan's confused expression, he continued, "that they're still there with Piccolo around" he grinned, an extra spurt of speed pushing him faster.

- - - - -

When Gohan and Krillan finally came into view of the mountain, their cheerful conversation came to a halt when they laid eyes on the newly destroyed mountain, visibly ravaged with what could only be ki-blasts, one of Piccolo's trademark attacks, immediately both faces became solemn and serious, Gohan being the first to start panicking.

"K...K...Krillan" stuttering, he looked to his friend for support and reassurance "you....you don't think Piccolo is under there...do you?"

"I hope not Gohan" was the heavily sighed reply "it's possible though" he finally admitted. Both flew lower until they landed at the edge of the shattered rocks and rubble, which had formerly been the tall, majestic mountain. Snow from the very top covered most of the pile, the cold wind whipping through the clothing of both fighters as they closed their eyes, calling upon the skill to sense ki, if Piccolo was in there, they should be able to sense it, though if he were injured, this would prove more difficult.

Gohan sensed it first, a weak, throbbing sensation in the back of his head, it took him several tries to locate it, but he did. A tear slid down his cheek, dripping onto the show as he shook Krillan.

"He...he's in there" Gohan sobbed, wiping his sleeve across his face, then jumping onto the rubble, pulling pieces off as fast as he was able, all the time words of blame and guilt running through his head, he had made the wish, if Piccolo was hurt...or worse, it would be all his fault. It took him some time to notice somebody shaking him, looking up to see Krillan.

Nodding, Gohan concentrated on sensing Piccolo's ki again, using it to help him as he slowly pulled debris, a piece at a time. As he did this, he moved towards where the ki began feeling stronger, until he was sure it was under him. Krillan joined him and together they gently removed more until their eyes caught a flash of purple. This, spurring them on, made them speed up, ever mindful of their task, until finally they uncovered all of Piccolo.

The wish had worked, as they could plainly see.

For instead of the tall, ever intimidating form of Gohan's mentor, a much smaller Namak could be seen. He wore the same gi, cape and turban as Piccolo, looking almost the same age as Dende, most likely younger. He was unconscious, and slightly cold, shivering even while not awake. Krillan smiled, gently picking the now younger form up and hovered in the air.

"He looks kind cute ya know"

"Yea" Gohan nodded, rising into the air "Let's go to my house, mom can help and dad'll be there too. I'm going to ask them if he can stay with us, I know they'll let him!"

Nodding, Krillan took off, Gohan flying beside him, heading towards his home

- - - - -

Gohan's home was not too far away when flying, and so it was not long until it came into view. A few feet away he spotted his dad training, shouting to him, Goku grinned back, waving until both landed, running up to them, even though it was just a few feet between them.

"Hiya guys, what's up?" Goku asked, he then spotted the unconscious Namak lying in Krillan's arms, a confused look flashed across his features, absentmindedly scratching his head "Who's he?"

Gohan swallowed nervously, he had not said a word about the wish, sneaking out every morning for a week to find the dragon balls, it had taken this long to do so without anyone finding out, only telling Krillan when he felt he needed to tell somebody, just to get an opinion. Bulma had also been informed, though not of the specifics of the wish, only to ask for the dragon radar.

"That's Piccolo dad"

Goku almost fell over in shock, he blinked "WHAT!"

This noise attracted Chi-Chi from the house; she seemed to have radar for any suspicious activity, or any activity of any sort. Another problem Gohan had to overcome when searching, finding time to fit it in around training and studying. Usually doing so saying that he was training to his mother whilst telling Piccolo and his dad he was studying. It was amazing that she hadn't realised it, but now there would be nothing he could do. He received a glare from Chi-Chi when she joined them.

"There you are young man" she frowned, sure she would be getting wrinkles "Where have you been, you're meant to be studying" she waved a book in front of him, something about math Gohan surmised. He sighed.

"But mom, we made an agreement, remember..." he told her "I'm allowed to train with Mr Piccolo in the mornings, and I study in the afternoon, remember?"

"Oh" Chi-chi looked embarrassed, she now remembered this clearly, since she had been told of the Androids, she had relented, realising that if they did come and destroy the earth, Gohan would be unable to study, but made a compromise, he would train and study. Hopefully if he did so, a nice college would take him one day and he would become a great scholar...she smiled happily.

Then she noticed the form in Krillan's arms, taking a good look at it, she then turned to Gohan.

"Who is that then Gohan dear, your little friend..." she paused "Dende...right?"

As nerve-wracking as it had been to tell his father, it was a thousand times more to tell Chi-Chi, considering how she disliked Piccolo. Although not half as much as she had when he had been evil. Gohan had gotten so annoyed about her constant 'that monster who took my son away from his studies' rant, that he, along with Goku, had explained how much of an asset the Namak had been in the battle against the Sayains, as well as Freeza. Then when told how he had sacrificed his own life in order to protect Gohan, her utter contempt and hatred for him had dissipated. She still disliked him slightly, but realised that he was no longer trying to hurt them, and was beginning to feel comfortable around him.

"That's Piccolo mom" Gohan told her. Her eyes went as wide as they could, and without waiting for Gohan to explain beyond 'I wished it' quickly motioned them inside, settling straight into her mothering/caring instincts. As Piccolo was settled on a couch, head propped upon a cushion, Chi-Chi fetched almost every medicine and first-aid item she possessed, unsure of how to treat a Namak. When she came back, kneeling, she looked him over.

Despite having a mountain fall on him, he seemed to be in good shape, typical of Piccolo, only withdrawing from a spar from extreme injury, and in battle, fighting until he could do so no more. The turban was removed when Chi-Chi noticed a deep purple stain coming through the material, revealing a gash on his head. This was soon cleaned and wrapped around with a bandage, Goku, Gohan and Krillan grinning at each other as she tried to figure out how to fit it around his antennae. Apart from this there were only small cuts and grazes, all cleaned, none needing to be bandaged.

Finished and waiting, Goku asked the question they were all thinking.

"Why did you wish for this Gohan?"

Gohan sighed, putting on his most innocent voice and expression "remember when you told me about when you and Mr Piccolo didn't like each other and it was all his daddy's fault?" Goku nodded "Well...I felt really bad for Mr Piccolo, not being able to have fun and stuff when he was a kid, so I wanted to show him what it was like..."

Picking up when Gohan trailed off, Krillan continued "He won't remember anything Goku, not about us, or hating you, or anything bad...Gohan just wished Piccolo could be a kid and that was part of it"

Gohan looked back at his mother "Mom, can he stay here please...I don't want him to be alone, and we can show him all the good things...we don't want him to stay with Master Roshi" all shuddered at what 'that' would be like "or anywhere NEAR Vegeta" knowing fully well what he would think of the whole idea. Then, to try and seal it, Gohan tried the one trick that most mothers couldn't resist, even Chi-Chi wasn't immune. The sad and dejected expression.

Sighing and mentally telling herself she would get wrinkles, Chi-Chi thought about the whole thing. Gohan's meaning behind the wish was incredibly touching, bringing a smile to her face. The fact that the younger form of Piccolo would be safest with them was true, bringing all those thoughts together, she decided.

"Sure Gohan, as long as you keep studying" Chi-Chi told him 'And maybe I can make Piccolo study too'

Brought out of their thoughts by a small groan, it became apparent that Piccolo was coming around. Now would be the final test, would he remember them, and would Gohan survive the next few minutes if he did. A second passed until his eyes opened, still containing the essence that was Piccolo, but something else could be seen, visible only to those who knew him well. Gohan could see it, as could they all.

It was a look of innocence.

Sitting up and rubbing his head, he looked around to see himself in an unfamiliar place, misted thoughts muddled around in his mind, unable to make sense of any. He knew who he was, but didn't know where he had been before this, or how he came to be wherever he was now.

"Huh...where am I?"

A younger, more muted tone came out of Piccolo's mouth, Krillan and Goku exchanged a look, while Gohan knelt down "you're at my house...we found you unconscious in the mountains" he finally told Piccolo, figuring he may as well tell the truth...well, sort of.

Chi-Chi knelt down as well, addressing the child in a calm, reassuring voice "what's your name little one...where is your family?" She did know Piccolo had no family, and his name, but in this situation, it was the obvious thing to ask.

Looking down, the child sighed, then brought his face back up again. "I don't have a family...my dad's gone...I never knew him" he brightened up after this; obviously
the fact that he had no biological family did not bother him, as it never seemed to normally. Chi-Chi actually felt a small pang of compassion, surprising her.

"What is your name?"

He grinned "I'm Piccolo..." he paused "I called myself Ma Jr a while back...but I like Piccolo better"

Shifting his gaze from Chi-Chi to Gohan, then Krillan and finally at Goku...but no hate could be seen in Piccolo's eyes, simply smiling at Goku. He smiled back.

"Do you want to stay with us then?" Piccolo nodded, Gohan stood up, grabbing Piccolo's hand and taking him out of the room "Come on, Ma" he grinned, emphasising the nickname Piccolo had given himself "I'll show you where you'll sleep" Krillan and Goku left outside, figuring they would be able to get in some training first. Chi-Chi was the last to leave, and did so with a apprehensive, yet amused expression.

'Nothing's ever going to be the same now...is it' She thought, following Gohan and Piccolo. And she was right; from now on nothing would be the same.