Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Lab Monkey ❯ Dance with the Devil ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own DBZ however my dreams of keeping Vegeta naked and chained to my bed are all mine.

Chapter Eight

Dance with the Devil

The first sensation that Bulma became aware of was a dull ache that radiated out from her scalp and traveled like a legion of fire ants to her jaw. She could feel the sting of cold tiles beneath her cheek and their icy chill penetrated the very marrow of her bones. In a distance, distorted by the white fog that surrounded her, she could hear a muffled whimper of terror.

Her brow creased in confusion and she winced at the pain the movement brought her. Bulma struggled for an explanation for why she was prone on the floor with the mother of all headaches rampaging through her thoroughly damaged skull, but her memory was frustratingly riddled with black holes. As she rose to the surface of consciousness, pangs of trepidation swamped her, urging her back down into the refuge of sleep.

Ignoring the cries of her instincts she slowly opened her eyes and met the cold, steel gaze of General Lee. She started with surprise, unable to comprehend why he was lying on the icy floor with her. Slowly, terror crept into the corners of her brain, crouching in the darkness, growling with menace, filling her soul with heart wrenching despair. General Lee's gray eyes stared sightlessly out from under a thin, milky film that was spreading over his corneas with inevitable slowness. A tear of blood pooled at the corner of his eye, sliding to the end of his nose before falling into an ever growing crimson lake that surrounded Bulma and saturated her white lab coat. The scarlet fluid used the jacket's unblemished purity as a canvas to paint a sick portrait of depravity and horror. General Lee's face was etched into a mask of disbelief from witnessing his own death at the hands of a ruthless killer, who knew neither mercy nor regret.

Suddenly memories slammed into Bulma leaving her breathless. She had been standing over Vegeta as he knelt before her, nearly succumbing to the gas that infused his room. At that moment, General Lee had burst into the lab, striding across the room like a vengeful god. She had stepped in front of him, her arms wide, in an attempt to stop him, but he brushed her aside effortlessly. She had latched onto his arm, pulling him away from the lock, aware the entire time of Vegeta's hell-bent eyes watching the scene, only seconds away from losing consciousness.

The General had rounded on her wordlessly, raising the butt of his rifle and bringing it down on her temple in a vicious attempt to silence her cries of protest. Her head exploded into a starburst of dazzling light and agony as she flew back into the force field only to rebound with a sizzle of burnt hair. She collapsed bonelessly onto the floor and as she slipped into the darkness she heard the dangerous growl of a wild animal reverberate throughout the room.

Bulma shivered as she let her eyes drift closed. She didn't want to raise her head and survey the destruction that she knew awaited her. She wanted to fall back into the painless slumber that brought with it the bliss of ignorance. A soft feminine whimper invaded her senses again and fear shot through Bulma. As much as she wanted to close her eyes and turn away, she could not abandon her responsibilities. Who was crying? Who else was hurt, because of her failure?

Carefully, so not to jar her already throbbing head, Bulma lifted her eyes to view the room. It was in complete shambles. Desks were overturned, papers were strewn haphazardly across the floor and black marks scorched the walls. An overhead light hung by one end, swaying slightly, creaking and groaning as if in pain. Its power cord hissed and sparked as it swept against the tiled floor, snapping its jaws like a venomous snake. The bodies of the men the General had brought with him lay twisted and broken on the floor, shell casings from their rifles littering the ground around them.

Her eyes instantly sought the one creature that caused all this destruction. All this madness. Vegeta stood motionless in the center of the room, silently facing a contingent of her security detail that was drawing down on him from the doorway. They were armed with pistols that were loaded with her serum, the only thing that could stop Vegeta now. Asuka had accompanied the General into the lab, trying to stall him as long as possible, but now she stood within the powerful cage of Vegeta's arms as he kept her between him and the armed guards. It was apparent from Vegeta's defensive stance that he was wary of their weapons and was more than likely deciding if he had regained enough strength to whisk by them unharmed.

Asuka sniffled continuously but remained standing with little help from Vegeta. In fact she held herself as far as possible from the man, while trying unsuccessfully to shrink herself. Bulma glanced around, her eyes alighting on the object of her salvation as well as her damnation. With a shaking hand she reached out stealthily, watching Vegeta for any sign that he knew she was awake while she pulled her gun closer to her.

She swallowed as she looked down at her weapon. She only had one shot and if she missed the whole world would burn for her mistake. Her vision wavered and she felt a wave of dizziness wash over her. She knew that she probably had a concussion and may pass out again at anytime. Silently she removed the deadly dart from its chamber and examined it carefully. If she got close enough she could inject the serum into him manually, thus eliminating any mistakes from poor aim.

She brushed her sleeve over her eyes, the white fabric staining red from the blood at her temple. She said a silent prayer, before sliding the dart up the sleeve of her coat and pushing herself to her knees. Everyone in the room instantly became aware of her movement. Her guard yelled at her to skirt around to the exit, but Vegeta merely cocked his head so he could observe her without taking his eyes off the men. Asuka began to sob brokenly and Bulma felt a spike of guilt for allowing this situation come to pass. She should have moved quicker, executing Vegeta while she had a chance, but instead she had wallowed in her own fear and doubt of killing another living person.

Bulma took a shaky step forward, belatedly realizing how hurt she really was. She took a moment to clear her vision before taking another unsteady step. Instead of moving towards the exit she staggered up to Vegeta, causing him to shift a quarter turn so he could face her and the guards at the same time. She heard a whisper of laughter in the back of her mind at the thought that Vegeta was cautious not to turn his back on her.

She stopped a few feet from Vegeta, knowing that she would never get close to him as long as he felt threatened. She turned towards her security, drawing herself up as regally as possible in her broken state, desperately trying to project her natural authority.

"Leave us." Her voice was strangled and she frowned at the reedy pitch. The men shifted but did not lower their weapons or take their eyes from Vegeta.

"Miss Briefs…" Her head of security began, but she cut him off.

"I said leave us." She demanded in a more strident tone meant to be obeyed.

"I'm afraid I can't do that, Miss Briefs." Her head of security protested. He looked uncomfortable uttering the words, but he remained unwavering. He knew he was in danger of losing his job, but it was his duty to protect this lab and its employees and that was what he was going to do.

Bulma grit her teeth and glared at the man. "Tanaka, you will do as I say. You are needed elsewhere." Her words were meant to remind him of their plan of attack if Vegeta ever escaped the lab. They were to retreat and set up various checkpoints throughout the corridors and ambush Vegeta as he passed by. Their hope was to incapacitate him before he made it to the surface and began his goal of world annihilation. "Don't worry. I have everything under control here."

Her words must have reached him, because he hesitated and for the first time he turned his gaze towards her. He winced at her bloody appearance, but he saw the conviction in her eyes. Tanaka knew that his superior would sacrifice herself, before anyone else in the quest to bring Vegeta to heel. They had discussed this very scenario many times and always Bulma insisted that she be given the opportunity to confront Vegeta first. Everyone agreed that she was the only person who had a successful chance of getting near him, even if it meant her death. Slowly, Tanaka lowered his weapon and dipped his head in respect and admiration. Bulma was truly brave and he would miss her presence if he survived this holocaust.

At his word the guards backed out of the room, their guns aimed at Vegeta until the door slid closed. Vegeta's eyes narrowed as he watched the scene unfold, almost forgetting about the bundle he held in his arms. His lip curled as he watched the woman who only minutes before was going to ruthlessly murder him while he slept, standing only a few feet away, without any barrier protecting her.

"Well isn't this cozy?" He sneered, while eyeing Bulma cautiously. He had known the woman long enough to know she was up to something, but he didn't know what. He furtively searched the room for her gun, finding it discarded by the General's body. He found it hard to believe that the woman would forget her weapon at a time like this, but perhaps she was more frazzled than she let on.

"It could be." Bulma looked pointedly at Asuka and Vegeta glanced down at the woman trapped in his arms. Her face was red with tears and her wide, hopeful eyes watched Bulma's every move. It was obvious by her facial expression that she expected the woman to save her. Vegeta's hand tightened around Asuka's throat and she winced but did not struggle. Bulma took another step forward, but Vegeta's cold eyes stopped her.

"Let her go, Vegeta." Bulma demanded softly and Vegeta grinned wolfishly at her. He saw the alarm flash in the woman's eyes and he enjoyed it. It was his turn to be in control, to have the power. He was going to punish the woman for her sins against him.

"Why should I?" His tone was as soft as hers, but it had an underlying hint of menace. He was a cat playing with a mouse before he rent it apart with his claws.

"Then we could be alone." Bulma met his onyx eyes, fear and pain pounding through her head, echoing in her ears, but she refused to look away from what she dreaded most. Her murderer. Her executioner. She took a step forward and Vegeta stiffened. "You do want to be alone with me don't you Vegeta?"

His nostrils flared as he took in the scent of freshly spilt blood and terror that permeated her, nearly overpowering her natural aroma. Her jacket was drenched in the General's blood and her own flowed from the wound on her temple, coating half her face in a scarlet mask. Her blue hair tumbled alluring down her back, the tips dyed darker by gore. She looked like a savage goddess, bent on drinking the blood of her enemies while subduing her unwilling lovers. His grip tightened on Asuka's neck and he lifted her up onto the tips of her toes. She strained under his hand and she whimpered for Bulma to save her. Bulma panicked and took another step forward, but Vegeta's snarl forestalled her.

"I could easily solve that problem." He hissed with deadly promise and Bulma gulped. Her hands reflexively curled with the need to reach out and pull Asuka from Vegeta's grasp.

"You don't want to kill her Vegeta." Bulma whispered softly, daring to take another small step towards the lethal warrior.

"Oh?" He fought back the laughter that bubbled in his throat at the woman's antics. She struggled so hard to regain control of the situation, when it was nothing more than an illusion. This scene would play out exactly how he wanted it too and he would have the revenge that he thirsted for. "And what, pray tell exactly do I want?"

Bulma quivered at his words and she looked away from his sinfully black eyes, glancing at Asuka a moment before regaining her courage. Her clear cerulean eyes met his again and with conviction that she did not feel she uttered her doom.

"Me." She knew in her heart that Vegeta was only playing with her. She had come intimately familiar with Vegeta's goals as he had suffered under her care. Her painful death, the destruction of her world and finally his escape to Namek. If she was smart she could reorder those goals to her advantage, but the risk was daunting.

Vegeta felt something strike him hard at her single word, awakening a deep seated craving within his wicked heart. There was something satisfying about her acceptance of her fate. She was offering herself to him, willingly, openly and he couldn't stop the heat that shot through him as he gazed at her.

"Why can't I have you both?" His velvet words were a dark caress, moving them beyond this realm into their own reality where words were their domain. Asuka dried her tears and watched them closely, confusion etched on her features. It seemed that even though they were talking about her, they had forgotten completely about her presence.

Vegeta felt a shiver run though him as a spark of anger lit in Bulma's eyes. He leaned closer to Asuka, sniffing her skin while never breaking eye contact with the woman. Bulma felt something dark and dangerous move inside of her as she watched Vegeta inhale Asuka's soft scent. She couldn't name the emotion, but the anger that followed it was intense.

"She is nothing to you. She had nothing to do with your incarceration. It was me who caged you." Her voice dropped down into a sly whisper and her eyes narrowed with malice. "It was me who defeated you." She saw the flash of rage in Vegeta's eyes at her callous reminder and she took the last step forward, closing the gap between them and placing a dainty hand on his forearm. They both felt a jolt of electricity at the contact, but they struggled to hide it from the other. She leaned forward, whispering into his sensitive ear. "It's me you want to kill." She lured with a silky invitation.

Vegeta shoved Asuka away from him furiously, not even glancing in her direction as she darted from the room. He was uncaring of her escape, knowing that she would lay dead like all the others in a matter of moments anyways. His true prey was only a heartbeat away. His hand snapped up, encircling Bulma's delicate throat and pulling her close. He raised his other hand, heating a ball of indigo ki in his palm. He watched as the blue light danced across her porcelain features, heating her flesh to a rosy hue. Shadows swirled in her wide cerulean eyes that were fringed in thick teal lashes. She did not flinch away, but held his gaze courageously. In her heart she prayed that he would not want to end it so soon, that all of his anger at her would clamor for slow and deliberate satisfaction.

He released the ball, hurtling it passed her head, displacing her teal hair in a whirl of heat. She started as it exploded against the door, melting the locking mechanism in place, destroying her only hope for escape.

"There, now it's just the two of us. Just like you wanted." He sounded as though he had granted her greatest desire instead of fulfilling her death wish. He brushed the rough pad of his thumb over her trembling lower lip. He had never, in all his travels, felt anything as incredibly soft as that rose petal lip. Bulma's heart pounded and her mouth was dry from fear. She had successfully saved Asuka's life, now could she save her own and the entire populace of the planet while she was at it? Unconsciously, her tongue darted out to slick over her lip, flickering lightly against Vegeta's thumb. His smoldering eyes captured hers and she swallowed hard as apprehension swamped her, the fathomless abyss of Vegeta's onyx pits only multiplying her dread.

Lightning struck Vegeta. It originated at the pad of his thumb, snaking down his muscular arm to squeeze his chest until he couldn't breathe. Pleasure raced through him, igniting his veins and capillaries with liquid fire, burning him from the inside out. His face darkened with desire and he knew that he had to hide the reaction his body had at her innocent touch. Not the lust. No he would never hide his lust for her. It was his power. His control over her. But there was something else, moving and breathing just beneath the layer of yearning. Something ultimately dangerous.

He spun her around in his arms, so that he held her much like he had Asuka. He fitted her tightly against his body, her soft curves melting into his hard frame. The wet blood from her coat, soaked into his armor, slicking against his skin. The acidic smell of charred bodies and thick, metallic blood in the air called to the cruel demon that resided beneath his skin. His hand rested lightly over her collar bone, the rise and fall of her breasts pressing against his palm. He leaned close to her, inhaling deeply. His keen senses deciphered the distinct aroma of only her blood, which was so much more enticing than any he had ever scented before.

When General Lee had struck her he had felt intolerable rage, even in his drugged state. His anger was born from another man daring to strike what he had claimed as his prey. Nothing would happen to the woman unless he deemed it so. If he wanted her to be beaten by another then it would be he that ordered it, not because another thought he had the right to lay a hand on her. Because of his indiscretion the General had died first, screaming in fear at the bloodthirsty fiend that he had unknowingly set free.

"What are we going to do now, Bitchess?" He whispered the words in her ear and he could hear her breath hitch in her throat at the suggestive tone. He leaned closer, his velvety tongue darting out and lapping at the blood that coated her cheek. Her taste was exactly how he imagined. Smooth with a hint of spice, like a fine wine distilled just for him. Her flavor was intoxicating and he wanted to taste more of her, to devour her as she bled her lifeblood for him. Years of enslavement under Frieza had taught him that ownership was total submission to your master and the thought of possessing the blue-haired witch that caused him so much humiliation made his own blood sing. He relished the shiver that flowed through her body and hard, biting lust roused itself within his loins. He pressed his solid erection against the soft curve of her hip and he indulged in another taste of her crimson nectar.

Bulma felt the wet heat that shot through her body and the hard jut of Vegeta's manhood against her thighs. Her mind shut down in a panic and all her plans for survival flew out the proverbial window. The feel of his tongue on her check, awakened a primal response in her that she had never felt before. All the adrenaline that rushed through her veins, stringing her every nerve ending taunt with nervous expectation was easily turned into dark passion, but the trepidation remained just beneath the surface. Her fight or flight instincts still clamored loudly even as the desire swam through her veins. Quickly, she regained her composure and cleared her throat. She could not allow this to get out of hand or she would end up dead in a pool of her own blood while her world was ravaged.

She leaned into him, rubbing herself temptingly against his hardness. She felt his acceptance of her invitation and she tilted her head to the side, revealing more of the pale smoothness of her exposed neck. He greedily slid his lips and tongue against her pulse, savoring the taste of her salty skin and spicy blood. She allowed her hand to rest against his solid thigh, digging her nails into the bulge of muscle. He scrapped his teeth over her flesh, wracking shivers of pleasure through her body. It seemed that all of her senses were heightened, the threat of danger making the sensations so much more intense than she had ever experienced before.

She fought for clarity in her clouded mind, desperately reminding herself that she was fighting for the salvation of her world, not courting a lusty fuck on her desk. She eyed a broken corpse of a man, instantly sobering her hazy thoughts. She rotated her wrist, releasing the dart from her sleeve and into her hand. She placed her thumb over the injector while leaning heavily against Vegeta and moaning loudly to distract him from her movement.

She plunged the dart towards his thigh, only to be brought up short by the crushing pressure of Vegeta's fingers banding around her wrist. He squeezed painfully, until her weapon fell from her nerveless fingers and clattered onto the floor. Bulma's heart raced and all the blood drained from her face. She felt helpless tears well up in her eyes and another wave of dizziness washed over her as she struggled valiantly not to faint.

Vegeta almost laughed out loud at the woman's predictability. He knew that she would never succumb to his caresses so easily, not while she still had hope of beating him. No her submission would only come after everything she loved was torn away from her and she was alone. With only him to turn to in the darkness. He waited until she made her motives known then he moved to intercept her. Now she was weaponless and helpless to his will. His delectable, little pet.

"Tsk, tsk. Such a blood thirsty little vixen you are." His mocking words were followed by the sharp pain of his incisors biting deeply into the ridge of her shoulder, punishing her for her transgression against him. She keened brokenly in the back of her throat, like a wounded animal caught in steel fanged trap.

"You can't kill me Vegeta." She wailed, struggling fruitlessly to remain calm in the face of this new adversity.

Vegeta chuckled darkly behind her, his breath feathering over her slender neck raising goose bumps on her flesh. "Oh?" He questioned while his wet tongue swiped over her new wound, sipping the blood that welled up from the mark. Bulma gulped loudly and Vegeta grinned against her skin at the sound.

"Eventually you are going to want to get off this planet. Unless you are planning to spend the rest of your life surrounded by rotting corpses." Bulma's voice broke at her words, images of death and ruination dancing in her head. "And I am the only person on this world that has a ship."

Vegeta smirked and ran his other hand lightly down her side, his fingers sliding against her ribs. She was so fragile beneath his grip. He would have to be careful with her. He wouldn't want to kill her before he was ready too. "That's true. But I don't need you to fly a ship, human. I have been doing it long before you even knew space travel was possible."

Bulma sneered at his logic. "Do you think I'm an idiot, Vegeta?" Bulma was afraid and when she was frightened she lashed out with her vicious tongue, uncaring of the consequences. Behind her Vegeta smiled while he continued his silent exploration of her body. He had never taken a woman against her will, finding the act to be beneath him, but he would have this woman no matter her protests. He was certain they would be short lived as the response of her body to his caresses was something that could not be fabricated. There was something intensely thrilling about the thought of turning her against herself. Seducing her into the bed of the monster she despised. Corrupting her goodness with the taint of sin.

"Is that a rhetorical question, woman?" Now that Vegeta was free from his cage he felt his natural confidence taking root inside of him. Now that he was in control, he felt relaxed and downright playful.

Bulma hissed like an angry kitten and futilely fought to escape his grasp. His wondering hand was igniting all sorts of emotions that she didn't want to examine to closely.

"I know you can fly a ship, dickhead. But you can't fly mine." She snapped recklessly.

Vegeta growled in her ear and tightened his grip on her body. His hand slid between her legs, cupping her mons painfully. His embrace brought her backside forcefully against his jutting erection that slid between her thighs.

"Watch your mouth, Bitchess. We wouldn't want you to suddenly lose your ability to speak now would we?" His other hand drifted up to squeeze her slender throat and Bulma choked on her tongue.

"Funny you should say that." She wheezed, gasping for air when he loosened his grasp at her words.

"Explain yourself." He demanded arrogantly.

"My ship, the only ship off this planet is voice activated." Bulma paused for effect before adding, "My voice to be precise."

Vegeta grinned into her mass of teal hair that was brushing against his face. She sounded so confident, so arrogant. His little bitchess was used to being the one giving orders, to have every one jump when she said. It was hard for her to give up the idea that she no longer had the upper hand, but her struggle to remain in control was delightfully amusing.

"Well I guess that means I will have to keep you around a little longer then." Vegeta found that he wasn't all that much opposed to the idea. It would take time to tire of this fiery woman and he would enjoy every minute of it. "First things first though." His wicked laughter wound its way down Bulma spine and her blood turned cold.

"If you kill anyone else, I won't pilot the ship for you Vegeta and you won't ever get off this planet to get your precious immortality." Her voice was thick with scorn, leaving no doubt that she meant every word directed at her tormentor.

Vegeta stiffened at her threat and he felt the ever present anger that simmered constantly inside of him begin to bubble to the surface. "There are many ways that I can get you to talk, Bitchess." His quiet words pierced her primordial animal brain and she nearly collapsed with panic. Her thighs went lax and her knees knocked together. She had no doubt he was insinuating torture and given the allusions he had made numerous times to his hellish life, he more than likely knew hundreds of methods to make someone talk.

Bulma unstuck her tongue from the roof of her mouth and tried to swallow a couple of times before replying. "If you hurt me in any way…" Bulma pried at Vegeta's hand that was still nestled at her crotch for emphasis. "I'll…I'll kill myself." She cried a breathless rush.

Vegeta tightened his grip on the delicate woman. Her words made his gut twist and he seethed with dark rage. How dare she utter such nonsense to him? She would die when he gave her permission to die and not a second before. He buried his hand into her teal hair and wrenched her head back on her neck so he could look her in the eye. Her temple was turning a molted purple and he could see were blood was hemorrhaging into her left socket, turning her usually crystal blue eye an eerie red.

"You will do no such thing, woman. I won't allow it. Besides you haven't the guts to kill yourself." He sneered into her upturned face, his angry eyes raking over her.

Her mouth hardened into a severe line and her eyes narrowed with conviction. "I had the guts to kill you in order to save my world. Do you think I would hesitate to slit my throat before subjecting myself to the murderer of my people?"

Vegeta's rage finally erupted and in a fit he spun her around grabbing her painfully by the hair and shaking her like a rag doll. "I'm going to fucking kill you. I'm going to break you in half, you little bitch!" He roared with fury while Bulma screamed in terror. He tossed her away from him and she slid across the floor, colliding with an overturned chair on the way. As she slid to a stop she curled herself into a ball and began to sob piteously.

Vegeta eyed the frightened woman murderously. How he hated her. She always ruined everything with her quick mind and quicker mouth. He snarled at her huddled form as he thought rapidly about what he was going to do. He needed to get to Namek as quickly as possible. He had already been missing for months and Frieza more than likely had scouts out looking for him. He was going to have to dodge all imperial ships and planets on his journey and he didn't have time for any of the woman's shit. He couldn't constantly be watching her every second of the day to make sure she didn't slit her own throat. Hell, with the unnatural amount of stubbornness she possessed she would probably chew her own wrists open like a rabid dog.

He stalked over to her, ignoring the way she flinched away from him. He plowed his hand into her teal tresses, wrapping it around his fingers and hauling her to her feet. Once they were nose to nose he looked her in the eye, sneering with disgust at her tear stained countenance. Once he obtained his goal on Namek, he would exchange ships and kill her. He should be done with the blue haired witch by then. He never intended to rape her, but she never said he couldn't entice her into his bed. Once he had her total submission, her punishment would be complete and then he could dispose of her. The dark vastness of space was a disheartening place and he had no doubt she would be most vulnerable there.

After he had killed Frieza and ascended to the throne as its rightful lord then he would come back to this mud ball planet and destroy it once and for all. Forever erasing his shame at the hands of one small female.

"You are more trouble than you are worth, human." He spat with distaste, before turning on his heel and striding to the door, dragging her behind him. Without missing a step he amassed enough energy to blow the door outwards, trailing a wake of fire down the corridor and out the opposite wall.

Cries could be heard echoing down the hall as men dodged out of the way of the destruction. Bulma and Vegeta moved through the underground passages, slowing so she could order her men to lower their weapons and let them pass. With every step Vegeta could feel Bulma weakening and he knew that the wound at her temple was worsening.

They entered the ship and without a word and Bulma instantly began to disengage the docking clamps and ignite the engines. Silent tears streamed down her face as they rose up through the levels of the lab, exiting through the wide doors that slid open until finally blue sky greeted them. She trembled as she watched everything she loved disappear, until finally all she could see was the blue orb of her planet on the view screen.

Would she ever see her home again? Her parents? Her friends and lover? Bulma had never been more scared in her life. She was leaving everything behind, losing herself to the vastness of space, her only companion a murdering mad man who wanted nothing more than to exact his revenge upon her. She closed her eyes as a wave of nausea washed over her. She had done it. She had played her cards and she had kept her world safe, but at what cost? She knew her immunity from Vegeta's wrath was short lived. He would not have conceded so easily to her demands unless he didn't already have an alternate plan.

She rasped out the coordinates to the directional computer, setting their course through space. She turned away, leaning heavily on the console and eyed the door that would lead her to the medical bay. She needed to look at the cut on her head, but she didn't know if she could make it all the way to the bay.

She was yanked out of her thoughts when Vegeta grabbed her painfully by arm, pulling her into his hard chest. "You set coordinates that are only three days travel. Namek is months from here. Set the proper course woman." He demanded angrily while ruthlessly shaking her.

His careless handling caused her head to spin and she leaned onto the only solid object she could find, which happened to be Vegeta himself. She laid her head against his chest, almost surprised to hear the thud of his heart beneath her ear. For all of his cruelty and wickedness, he was only a man whose heart beat just like any others.

"I'm not stupid Vegeta. That's my safety net. That way you have to keep me around and unharmed for the length of the journey. You need me, so get used to it." Her tone was thin and reedy. Her last words were nothing more than a whisper of air before she collapsed entirely into Vegeta's arms.

He caught her out of reflex, his astonishment at her leaning into his arms disappearing as he scooped her up. He glared at the screen, watching the planet that had been his prison this many months disappeared from view. He looked down at the unconscious woman he held, asking himself for the billionth time since coming to this quadrant of space, how he had gotten into this mess.

With a growl of frustration he stalked out of the room, leaving behind the reminder of his failure as they disappeared into the reaches of space, the inhabitants of Earth never knowing how close to death they had actually come.

A/N:

Yes, yes I know. I have succumbed to the allure of the predictable 'lost in space' scenario, but let's be honest here. Anyone who hasn't fantasized about being trapped on a ship with Vegeta,

Alone

In the dark

Where no one can hear you scream

Speak now or forever hold your peace.

*crickets chirp* *someone throws a peanut*

Hey!

Besides it will be fun. I promise. *wink*