Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ New Students at Orange Star High ❯ Chapter Six - The Finals ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Well, Chapter 6. There are at least three more chapters to this fic. Maybe more once I see all of the Buu Saga.

Videl was on guard, knowing Gohan would have to get back to the back area sooner or later. Luckily, Gohan makes it to the back area without Videl noticing him.

"Hey dad, great match," Gohan says,

"Thanks Gohan," Goku smiles, "we're up next."

"I know," Gohan says, "how badly did Jesse rough you up?"

"Pretty badly," Goku says, "that one attack of his felt like it took away half my strength."

"If it worked like it was supposed to, it did," Jesse says from behind him.

"What?" Gohan asks.

"That attack, my Drain Cannon, drains away half of a person's maximum strength. Of course, it doesn't seem to acknowledge transformations that a person can still achieve, such as Super Saiyan."

"Still, its pretty good," Shin says, "however did you come up with it?"

"I didn't," Jesse replies, "it was taught to me by an odd warrior in Limbo. As soon as I mastered it, he disappeared. I think his time in Limbo was just about up. That was three hundred years ago."

"Excuse me folks, but there's a few things I need to ask you," the announcer says to Goku and Gohan, "now Goku, for the final match, I need some new information to tell the fans."

"Well, I have been dead for the last seven years," Goku says with his usual simple attitude.

"Um, yeah," the announcer says, "anything else?"

"No, not really," Goku says.

"You could tell the crowd about Goku defeating the Red Ribbon Army," Jesse pipes up. At the looks of surprise the others gave him, he continued. "I've done a bit of reading about you sir. You're in some of the more recent history books."

"He's right, you know," Pegaro says, "you are in some of the recent history books."

"Goku, I seem to recall several years ago some aliens arrived on Earth and you were named as part of Earth's Special Forces to fight them off," the announcer says.

"Really? Who said that?" Goku wonders.

"A Mr. Yajirobe," the announcer replies.

"Well, I guess its kinda true," Goku says, "I did arrive to help."

"Dad, you beat Vegeta and Nappa both," Gohan says bluntly.

"Wow, you single-handedly beat both of the aliens, including the one who destroyed the entire Royal Navy?!" the announcer yelps in excitement.

"Well, yeah," Goku replies, "Vegeta was tough though."

"In Vegeta, do you mean this gentleman right here?" the announcer asks nervously, indicating Vegeta.

Vegeta smirks evilly. "That's right. I came to Earth to destroy it, but this fool beat me. I have now come to be fond of this planet, so there's no danger of destroying it. Especially since my son is the Junior Champion of this pathetic tournament."

"Goku, the other Finalist in the Junior Tournament looked a lot like you do, especially when you fought Jackie Chun all those years ago," the announcer says.

"Well, Goten is my son," Goku replies proudly, "I just wish he had been allowed to fight here in the adult competition. He and Trunks would do great. And one of them would have gotten at least one good fight from someone other than each other."

"And you, Saiyaman, is it?" the announcer says, "I need a bit more information about you if you for the Finals."

"Well, I've decided to drop the Saiyaman persona," Gohan replies, "its ridiculous. The, er, poses I do apparently embarrass all my friends and now that I realize what they make me look like, they embarrass me as well."

"Ah, so you're gonna tell us your real name?" the announcer asks urgently.

"My name is Son Gohan, and Son Goku is my dad," Gohan replies, looking proudly at his father.

"Wow, a father versus son match!" the announcer yelps in joy, "this is great! The ratings are gonna go through the roof! Though to tell the truth, I wish we didn't have to be so commercial, but after that last fight between you and Majunior, Goku, we just couldn't stay in business the old fashioned way. We're still trying to promote true martial arts, the way you do it, but with Hercule Satan for a World Champion that is practically impossible. He'd get me fired if I kept insisting that the attacks you and the others could do were more than just simple light shows and tricks."

"I'm glad that someone finally shut that big goon up," Krillin chuckles, "And to make things even better, it wasn't one of us. It was Gohan's friend Pegaro, and he wasn't trained by any of us and beat him in every fair way. His abilities are still within the limits of normal humans."

"Indeed," Zarvon says, "you are quite strong, Pegaro, for a human."

"Gee, thanks Zarvon," Pegaro replies, not sure if Zarvon was joking or something.

"Well, I think I have all of the information that I need," the announcer says, "the Finals begin in fifteen minutes. There is no time limit. I've been talking with the judges and, judging from your last fights, 30 minutes or even an hour are not enough time. I remember your first Finals match Goku. You and Jackie Chun fought for hours."

"Yeah, I remember that quite well," Goku says, "Jackie Chun was a great fighter."

"Do you think there's time to get something to eat before the Finals?" Gohan asks.

"You have thirty minutes to prepare however you want," the announcer replies.

"Gee, I don't think thirty minutes is gonna be enough time to get enough to eat," Goku says.

"You said it dad," Gohan agrees, "but we can try, can't we?"

"Yep," Goku says, turning around and heading for the cafeteria. Gohan follows him.

"Hey dad, what do you say we have an eating contest?" Gohan asks as they near the cafeteria.

"Your on Gohan," Goku grins, "lets go!" With that, he makes a mad dash to the cafeteria with Gohan hot on his heels.

But what greets Gohan at the cafeteria stops Gohan dead in his tracks.

"I knew you would come here eventually," Videl says with a sinister grin. Gohan gulps and begins inching away.

"Uh, Videl, Gohan and I are about to have an eating contest and then we're gonna be in the Finals," Goku says.

"Congratulations on making it to the Finals Goku," Videl says, her eyes never leaving Gohan. Sensing that he is in trouble, Gohan turns and runs.

"GOHAN, YOU GET BACK HERE!" Videl screams, then takes off after him.

"Was I ever like that when I was their age Piccolo?" Goku asks his Namekian friend.

"Can't really say Goku," Piccolo says, "you might want to ask Bulma. Out of everyone to ever meet you, she knows you best."

"Well, I'm going to eat," Goku says happily and heads for the buffet table, "sure hope Gohan is able to lose Videl and come and eat."

"I don't think he'll lose her easily this time," Piccolo says, "he's either gonna get caught coming back here or he'll fight in the Finals without getting anything to eat."

"So he's gonna lose either way?" Goku asks as he begins stuffing his face. Three entire roasted turkeys disappear into his mouth in a matter of moments. Piccolo shudders and looks away lest he get sick to his Namekian stomach.

In the meantime, Videl was using every bit of her energy to try and catch Gohan before he had a chance to go Super Saiyan and escape. And Gohan was doing everything he could to get away from Videl before she caught him. So far, it looked like things were dead even.

Unfortunate for Gohan, Zarvon was watching and was getting an idea. He wanted to know what Videl would do to Gohan when she got ahold of him. Turning up his power, he flies up and grabs hold of Videl.

"Gohan, run now!" he yells.

"Let me go Zarvon!" Videl demands, "or I'm gonna hurt you."

"Don't worry," Zarvon says with a sly grin, "I'm letting Gohan thinking I'm helping him. I gonna lure him someplace that he can't escape from without causing a lot of property damage and then bring you there.

Videl stops struggling. She grins evilly. "I like the sound of that."

"Good," Zarvon nods, "meet us at the Junior Division cafeteria. I'll take him there to eat. He needs to eat or he won't be able to fight properly in the Finals. Meet us there in ten minutes."

"Okay," Videl says then heads for the ground and starts walking for the Junior Division cafeteria.

Grinning like a fool, Zarvon goes off looking for Gohan. He finally asks Krillin to home in on Gohan's ki and lead him to it after filling Krillin in on his plan.

"Zarvon, my man, there's a good chance Gohan will strangle you when he gets away from Videl," Krillin snickers as he leads him to Gohan's location, "he's right out there. I'm sure you can find him with your eyes. After all, the eyesight of a Saiyan is far superior to a human's."

"That's for sure," Zarvon chuckles, "thanks Krillin." Zarvon walks out into the stands to see Gohan sitting directly behind Erasa and Sharpner. He chuckles. Those two obviously did not know Gohan was behind them. He had turned back into his civilian clothes so he wouldn't cause a disturbance with his outfit.

"Hey Gohan, there you are!" he calls out, "I've been trying to find you."

Sharpner and Erasa immediately turn around to see Gohan flinching.

"Hey Zarvon, great match!" Erasa says, "too bad you lost. Hey Gohan, we didn't see you back there."

"Gohan, I must admire your genius on ditching an angry Videl," Zarvon chuckles, "but we've redirected her. She's gonna be camped out at the main cafeteria until the Finals. Now is the time to go to the Junior Division cafeteria to get something to eat if you're hungry."

"Am I ever!" Gohan says, "fighting Jesse and Shin took a lot out of me. I need to eat to recover some of my strength."

"You mean that WAS you fighting?" Sharpner asks in disbelief.

"Yeah," Gohan says sheepishly.

"Gohan, you're the Great Saiyaman?" Erasa asks.

"Yeah," Gohan says, "uh, I need to go. I'm very hungry." With that, Gohan takes off, grabbing Zarvon's arm and dragging him behind him.

"Hey Gohan, come back here!" Erasa cries out.

"Don't worry, we'll catch him after the Finals," Sharpner says, "then we'll find out whats going on."

"Thanks for getting Videl out of my hair until the Finals Zarvon," Gohan says, thanking his fellow Saiyan profusely. Zarvon just grins and leads Gohan to the Junior Division cafeteria.

Upon entering the cafeteria, Gohan attacks the buffet. He piles his food up so high Zarvon wondered how he would carry it all, Super Saiyan or not. But Gohan managed to get it all to a table and began eating. Five minutes later, Zarvon sees Videl walking towards the cafeteria. Smiling, he motions for her to enter the other way. Gohan was facing the entrance. Videl walks in the back way and sneaks up behind Gohan.

"Wait till he's finished eating," Zarvon whispers, "Saiyans tend to move a bit slower after they have just eaten if the prospect of a major battle isn't in the immediate horizon. Especially when they eat as much as it looks like he'll eat."

"Thanks for the advice," Videl whispers back, "now I've got him."

"What are you gonna do to him?" Zarvon asks, intrigued.

"I think just frightening him is enough for now," Videl smirks evilly. (A/N: I really don't think anyone but a woman can master a truly evil smirk.)

"You are evil," Zarvon chuckles, "startling a Saiyan just after they have eaten is about the only way to give one indigestion. Startling one while they are eating will make him start to choke."

Videl frowns. "Well, I don't want to choke him. What do you think I should do?"

"Wait till he finishes eating," Zarvon says, "besides, if you startled him while he is eating then you'll likely get sprayed with food."

Videl grimaces. "Yuck."

"Wait till he's done eating," Zarvon says, pulling up a couple of chairs behind Gohan, "it shouldn't take him long to finish what he has on the table. Besides, he won't want to move so soon after a meal."

"You and Gohan are the only people I've ever seen eat like that," Videl says as she sits down, "it's incredible. Where do you put it?"

"Saiyans burn calories pretty quickly," Zarvon replies, "its one of the secrets to our strength. We can eat just about anything that is even remotely edible. I've been known to eat bones a time or two. Some of the more course and uncouth Saiyans that I know have eaten animals raw, bones and all."

"Yuck," Videl repeats, "that's disgusting."

"Many Saiyans prefer cooked food though," Zarvon chuckles, "simply because it tastes better and it gives us no complications down the road."

"Say, how old are you Zarvon?" Videl asks, "are you really no older than Gohan and me?"

"I'm probably a few Earth years older," Zarvon replies, "on planet Vegeta I'd be considered a fully grown Saiyan warrior. In fact, I already have a son. Though it appears that he is dead."

"You mean that big guy that came eleven years ago?" Videl asks, "he caused a lot of damage, including destroying the entire Royal Navy. Only Earth's Special Forces, which is apparently Gohan and his dad's friends, fought them. No one really knows what happened. Some of the fighters died. Chiao-Tzu died fighting the big guy, who was apparently your son. The famous baseball player and martial artist, Yamcha, died fighting one of the green creatures that your son grew."

"You mean Saibamen?" Zarvon asks, surprised, "strange. Anyone that I know who would have raised Nappa in my absence detested the Saibamen."

"Hey, it looks like Gohan is almost done," Videl remarks as she sees Gohan descend upon the last cooked chicken. Zarvon chuckles. At least he finally knew how Gohan could eat so much. A few seconds later and Gohan has eaten the last chicken. Smiling wickedly, Videl gets out of her seat and moves behind Gohan.

"You know, I don't think I'm ever gonna get used to seeing someone eat like that Gohan," she says sweetly. Gohan pales in his seat.

"Ugh.. h.. hi Videl," he stammers. He was afraid. And it was a fear that only a woman could put in a man. And unfortunately for Gohan, Videl was planning on capitalizing on it.

"Well, Gohan, now we can talk if you're done eating," Videl says, still staying deceptively sweet.

Gohan was getting a feeling that he might wanna try and run. Zarvon sees this and puts a stop to it.

"Don't even try and run Gohan," Zarvon chuckles, "I want to see what happens now that Videl has caught up with you."

"Can't you have pity on a guy?" Gohan whines.

"Nope," Zarvon grins.

"Okay," Gohan sighs, "what do you want to talk about Videl?"

"For one thing, you owe me more of an explanation about Saiyans," Videl says, "now spill it."

"Well, tell me what you want me to elaborate on and I'll tell you," Gohan says.

"Tell me about the fight with Cell," Videl says.

At the mention of Cell, Gohan's face darkens considerably.

"Whats wrong?" Videl asks.

"You know my dad is dead, right?" Gohan asks calmly.

Videl was puzzled. "Yeah, so?"

"He died fighting Cell," Gohan says, "surely you know that he was the one who really took the fight to Cell before I fought him. Then, when it was obvious to Cell that he couldn't defeat me, he prepared to blow himself up along with the Earth. Dad has a technique called the Instant Transmission, which enables him to transport himself anywhere instantly."

"And he took Cell to another place and sacrificed himself to stop him," Videl says softly, "Gohan, I'm sorry."

"I had the chance to destroy Cell before that happened though," Gohan continues, "dad never had to die. And we still could have brought him back."

"How?" Videl asks.

"I told you about the Dragon Balls, remember?" Gohan says, "well, even though earth's Dragon Balls can only bring someone back once, the Namekian Dragon balls can bring someone back as often as he wants. We could have used the second wish of our Dragon Balls to go to Namek, gather their Dragon Balls, and wish dad back. But he didn't want to come back."

"He is definitely different from any other Saiyan," Zarvon says, "he's stronger than any other Saiyan I have ever met, and he is more honorable than any other to have ever lived."

"He fell and hit his head hard when he was a baby," Gohan says, "he was sent to Earth to destroy it."

"If he was sent as a baby, then he still would have destroyed it as long as he had his tail," Zarvon says.

"Whats so special about your tails?" Videl asks.

"To a Saiyan, a tail is a mark of pride and honor," Zarvon says, "but it also serves another purpose. When there is a full moon, we transform into incredible beasts."

"Gigantic apes is what Bulma once told me," Gohan says, "though I know it's a deadly insult to call a Saiyan a monkey."

"Who would dare?" Zarvon hisses.

"A tyrant named Frieza," Gohan says, "he enslaved the entire Saiyan race except for my dad and destroyed the planet Vegeta just after my dad was sent to Earth. He single-handedly killed the entire Saiyan race except for my dad, Vegeta, Nappa, and dad's brother, Raditz."

"Where are Nappa and this Raditz?" Zarvon asks.

"Raditz was killed when he came to Earth many years ago to find my dad," Gohan says, "Piccolo killed him, though my dad had to hold him in place so Piccolo's attack would hit."

"And Nappa?" Zarvon asks.

"Nappa and Vegeta arrived a year later to get the Dragon Balls," Gohan says, "Piccolo, Krillin, myself, and three others had trained for a year to defeat them. Yamcha, Tien, and Chiao-Tzu all died in that battle and Piccolo sacrificed himself to block a blast Nappa had aimed at me. But when dad arrived, Nappa was totally outclassed. He tried his strongest attack at point blank range and dad countered it with a Kamehameha."

"That attack he used to overpower my Bakurikimaha?" Zarvon asks.

Gohan nods. "That attack was taught to him by Master Roshi. He was the strongest person on Earth for years until he trained my dad and Krillin."

"Where is this Roshi now?" Zarvon asks.

"You saw him when we were signing up for the tournament," Gohan says, "he was the old man."

"That old pervert was the great Master Roshi?" Videl asks in disbelief.

Gohan grimaces. "Mom doesn't like me associating with him. And I wouldn't if Krillin and Eighteen didn't live with him."

"How does she put up with him?" Videl asks.

"She's one of the strongest people on Earth," Gohan says, "she's even stronger than my mom. In fact, the only people here at the tournament strong enough to beat her are dad, Vegeta, Piccolo, myself, and apparently Jesse. And he says got lucky in beating her. She didn't expect such a challenge from someone she didn't know. In fact, neither did the rest of us."

"Gohan, you said Nappa was outclassed by your father," Zarvon says, "what happened to him?"

"Well, Vegeta called him off, seeing as how poor a display he was giving," Gohan begins, "he then attacked me and Krillin, who were the only ones besides my dad who were left who had opposed them when they arrived. Dad used his Kaioh-ken attack which he had learned from King Kai. He broke Nappa's back and practically crippled him for life in one blow."

"What happened then?" Zarvon asks, fear in his voice.

"Back then, Vegeta was completely ruthless and heartless," Gohan says, sad that he had to answer this question, "he then killed Nappa just because he was of no more use to him since dad, supposedly a third class Saiyan fought him to a standstill and then defeated him with one blow."

Zarvon's voice was quivering, though in anger or sadness it was hard to tell. "Vegeta killed him?"

"Yes, he did," Gohan answers. Videl was speechless. They were talking about death as if it was an old friend or something. That just wasn't right.

"Hey guys, its almost time for the final match," Videl says, glancing at a clock.

"She's right," Gohan says to Zarvon, "I've never really gotten a chance to fight my dad on even terms before. I definitely don't want to miss this." Gohan gets up and rushes to the entrance to the arena with Zarvon and Videl

"Are you ready for our match Gohan?" Goku asks with a grin. It was the classic grin of a Saiyan who is about to take part in a challenging battle and knew it.

"You got it dad," Gohan says, a mirror of Goku's grin on his own face.

"Ladies and gentlemen, listen up and liosten good," the announcer begins, "we are now in the final match of the 25th annual Tenkaichi Budoukai. And we have a major fight about to happen. As you know, both of our competitors are very strong and highly skilled martial artists. Goku has been fighting in the tournament since he was only 12 years old and so far ahs made it to the Finals in every tournament he has been in. His first Finals match against Jackie Chun ended in a draw, though by the rules for such an event Jackie Chun won by being the first to stand up and declare himself the champion. His second tournament appearance found him fighting against Tenshinhan, who won via judges decision after a double ring out! And his third appearance in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai ended with him defeating the fighter known as Majunior in an all out battle the likes of which has never been seen before or since! In the 23rd tournament, he fought a woman named Chichi and married her after he won the tournament! Isn't that something folks? And now he has made it to the Finals of the 25th Tenkaichi Budoukai and is our default champion since he defeated Jesse, who defeated Pegaro, who defeated the former champion Hercule! So lets hear it up for Goku!"

The crowd goes wild as Goku steps out and into the ring. The announcer takes a deep breath.

"Now, for a major surprise," he begins, "it seems that the Great Saiyaman has decided to forego hiding his identity and has decided to fight under his true name! So lets hear it up for Gohan!"

The crowd cheers loudly as Gohan enters the ring. Sharpner and Erasa were dumbfounded at seeing their classmate being not only the Great Saiyaman, but also the Gold Fighter and a splendid martial artist.

"As it turns out, Gohan is actually the son of Goku, making this a father versus son match. The first ever in the entire history of the tournament!" the announcer says loudly, "he is also a schoolmate of Videl, Pegaro, and Zarvon. He has shown himself to be an excellent martial artist and was quite likely taught martial arts by his father. He has shown to be able to use the Kamehameha Wave developed by the martial arts legend Master Roshi, and his father was also an expert in that technique so it is likely that he was taught by his father. So how will this match turn out? Well, from past experience I've learned to never expect anything in the Finals when Goku is involved."

"Wow, that really is Gohan," Erasa giggles, "who knew he was such a fighter?"

"I sure didn't," Sharpner grumbles, "and here he is the Finals of the Tenkaichi Budoukai when even Hercule didn't make it past the first round."

"Well," the nerd begins, "it appears that Gohan is quite good at hiding a lot of things. When that gold aura of energy surrounded him, it reminded me of those fighters at the Cell Games."

"Wait, Gohan is our age, right?" Erasa asks, "we were about the same age as that delivery boy that showed up. What if he wasn't a delivery boy, but he was actually supposed to fight Cell?"

"You don't think it was Gohan, do you?" Sharpner demands, "that's just preposterous!"

"Well, how else do you explain why he always ditched class when he knew beforehand that stuff about the Cell Games were to be talked about?" Erasa demands, "and those times when it was sprung on us, he was very uncomfortable about what was said."

"She has a point," the nerd says, "but what does it mean?"

"Lets watch the fight," Sharpner says, "if anything is meant by it, then we'll surely find out."

"So dad, how are we gonna go about this fight?" Gohan asks, "I've already revealed my transformation to Super Saiyan to the crowd, but I've changed over the years so its not likely they can connect me to the Cell Games."

"I say we show them our full power," Goku says with his classic Saiyan battle grin, "I want to see how you've done in your training ion the last seven years."

"Well, to tell you the truth I've been slacking off," Gohan admits.

"Still, I want to see what you're capable of," Goku says as he begins to power up.

"Okay dad," Gohan says and powers up as well.

After a few moments of powering up, the two transform into the first level of Super Saiyans.

"Wow, Gohan's dad is a Gold Fighter as well?" Erasa asks.

"Hey, he looks like that guy that fought Cell at the Cell Games!" Sharpner exclaims.

"Hey, you're right," the nerd says, "wow, maybe Gohan was that kid after all."

"Gonna go to the next level Gohan?" Goku asks.

"Well dad, since you can't Ascend it would be unfair," Gohan says.

But as soon as those words had left Gohan's mouth, Goku Ascends. Lightning bolts spark around his body and his hair becomes a bit spikier. Gohan's jaw drops.

"Well, I guess that leaves Vegeta being the only one who can't ascend," Gohan chuckles, then Ascends himself.

"Ready Gohan?" Goku asks, crouching into a fighting stance.

"Sure thing dad," Gohan says, crouching into his own fighting stance.

"Well, this was unexpected, but I'm sure it'll make the match a lot more interesting," the announcer says, "ready and fight!"

As soon as the announcer started the fight, Gohan and Goku both launch themselves at each other, fists flying in punches and blocks.

"Wow, I can feel the power radiating off of them," Videl whispers in awe.

Vegeta looks on angrily. `Kakarott has reached the next level before me! But that power will be mine!'

"Wow, they're good," Jesse mutters to Zarvon.

"What is this?" Shin asks in awe. Kabito was chocked speechless at how much power Gohan and Goku were both radiating.

"They are fighting as Ascendant Super Saiyans," Piccolo explains, "it is a level beyond that of the Super Saiyan. Their power far surpasses it. It appears now Goku can reach this level. Before, only Gohan could."

"There's a level beyond that of the Super Saiyan?" Zarvon asks, his voice quiet.

"Yes," Piccolo says, "their power is beyond anything capable of the rest of us."

"Surely not," Kabito scoffs.

"Are they at their strongest?" Shin asks calmly.

"Gohan is, but I can't say for Goku," Piccolo says, "he might be. He is a better fighter than Gohan is and right now he is slightly stronger than Gohan."

"He is the strongest man in the entire universe," Shin says softly.

"Supreme Kai, surely you don't imply that these two Earthlings are stronger than you?" Kabito demands, his voice harsh.

"But I do Kabito," Shin says, his eyes alight with delight, "the power of the both of them in their Super Saiyan form is beyond my power. Surely between the two of them we can stop Babidi."

Jesse smiles. "They are both as strong as Dabura. If I fail to destroy him, one of those two can stop him."

"Their power far surpasses my own," Vegeta growls.

"Poor Vegeta, they left you behind again?" Krillin says mockingly.

"Watch it cue ball," Vegeta snarls.

Gohan and Goku go at it again, matching each other blow for blow.

"So Gohan, is this the best you've got?" Goku asks as he ducks a kick.

"Not far from it dad," Gohan says as he swerves out of the way of a punch.

"You've gotten rusty in seven years," Goku chides, "if this Majin Buu and Dabura are any threat then you're sorely prepared for them."

"You know whats really bad dad?" Gohan asks as he blocks a punch with both hands and spins to throw Goku around.

"Whats that son?" Goku asks as he recovers and fires a quick ki blast at Gohan.

Gohan dodges the ki blast easily, countering with one of his own. "The worst thing about it is that if I am ill-prepared for this fight, then Vegeta will get more arrogant and say `I told you so'."

"He's been training nonstop all these years huh?" Goku chuckles, "sounds like Vegeta."

"He's been training Trunks," Gohan replies, "apparently he's determined to make him stronger than me. I think its finally sunk in that he can't catch up with either of us so he's gonna use his son to do it."

"Makes sense if you use Vegeta's logic," Goku says, "he probably sees it as I finally beat him completely when you Ascended. But he sees our kids as having more potential than pure Saiyans have. So the only way he can ever beat me now is by having Trunks become stronger than you."

"I'd help if it would actually make him happy, but its more likely to make him insufferably arrogant than truly happy," Gohan says, firing a Masenko at his father.

"I've been watching in on all of you from time to time and Vegeta is happy with the way his life has come about," Goku says as he blocks the attack, "though you know he is too proud and tough to ever admit it."

"He doesn't have to," Gohan chuckles, "even Piccolo, who isn't that good at judging peoples emotions, can tell that he cares for Bulma and Trunks."

Hearing this, Piccolo chuckles.

"What are they saying, Namek?" Vegeta demands. He had sneezed three times since the match started, "I know both of those baka's are talking about me. What are they saying."

"They are talking about anything and everything," Piccolo says, eyes never leaving the fight, "Goku says he watches us all from time to time." Vegeta scowls.

"That clown had better keep what he's seen about me to himself if he knows whats good for him," Vegeta growls.

"What are they talking about?" Videl asks Eighteen, "how can Piccolo hear whats going on all the way out there in the ring?"

"His ears are exceptionally good," Krillin explains, "he could probably have heard a single pin drop in all of that panic when Cell threatened to blow up the Earth year's ago."

"Did he ever fight Cell?" Videl asks.

"He was the first to fight him," Krillin replies, "for a while he was stronger than Cell, but because Cell became stronger whenever he absorbed someone he became a lot stronger, by the second time they fought he was outclassed. It didn't help that he was already tired from fighting Eighteen's brother, Seventeen."

"You have got to tell me all about this sometime," Videl says.

"Trust me, you ain't heard nothing yet Videl," Krillin says, "how much has Gohan told you?"

"He's told me quite a bit, I think, but not everything," Videl admits.

"Maybe when this is all over you can find out everything in detail," Krillin says.

"As long as we can leave Master Roshi at his island," Eighteen remarks dryly, "I do not like being around him any more than I have to."

"I know you were hoping to win some of the prize money so we could move away from Roshi Eighteen, but we just didn't get a good draw in the tournament matchups," Krillin says.

"Whats embarrassing is losing to this mere boy," Eighteen says, gesturing towards Jesse.

Jesse grins. "Trust me, I likely wouldn't have won if it wasn't for me being empowering by my magical enhancement when fighting evil emotions, and your greed can be considered an evil emotion. If you had been fighting for the money for a worthy cause, like charity or to help out your hometown or something, then you would have taken me out easily. Well, maybe not easily but you would have won after an extremely tough match."

"Actually, I think you still would have won," Eighteen says, "you're the first person I've fought against who could sense my location. Androids don't give off ki signatures. The surprise is what enabled you to win after all."

"True, but you still have life force, even if it isn't largely human," Jesse replies, "but my blow wouldn't have been anywhere near as strong as it was if not for your greed."

"Hey Gohan, are you at your max?" Goku asks after the two engage in a brief ki struggle.

"Pretty much dad," Gohan replies.

"I'm afraid then that you're about to be overpowered son," Goku says grimly and raises his power up to his maximum. Gohan rapidly increases his power to his max, but his father's power still surpassed his by a fair amount.

"By my judge, I'd say Kakarott has surpassed the power Gohan achieved when he fought Cell," Vegeta snorts, "the boy has gotten way too soft in this time of peace. Doesn't he know that fate enjoys toying with the lives of the Saiyan race?"

But Vegeta was mad. Once again the power he had worked for all his life had been put to shame. And he wasn't even sure if he was as strong as Kakarott had been during the Cell Games yet! He not knew that he would likely never catch up, but he had to try. All he had left was his pride. He was the Prince of all Saiyans, but the Saiyan race now only included himself, Kakarott's brats, Trunks, and now Zarvon. He was still one of the strongest fighters in the entire universe. Gohan was the only living being with the power to stop him. But universal domination no longer appealed to him. Vegeta felt satisfied with his life on Earth. He had a beautiful wife who was as smart as she was beautiful. He had people who respected him for who he was and looked past what he had done. He might even be able to call them his friends, though he would never admit it. He had a son who could achieve the pinnacle of the Saiyan race at the age of eight and even without the legendary Super Saiyan power he had surpassed what Vegeta himself had at twice the boys age. It had never occurred to him why he stayed. But he now knew the answer. He had come to love the Earth.

What do you think of that brief introspective into Vegeta's psyche at the end of the chapter? Interesting, huh? Well, the next chapter will conclude the Tenkaichi Budoukai. A winner will emerge pretty much the way one would have if they had continued the tournament on the show instead of immediately going after Babidi. Who will win? Will Gohan take the title of the youngest Tenkachi Budoukai champion in history? Or will his father become the first known two-time champion in history. And before you say anything about Roshi, it was never said that he won the Tenkaichi Budoukai more than once before he stopped competed professionally and only Roshi and Nam know that Roshi was in fact Jackie Chun, though Yamcha was actually right for once.