Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ No way out ❯ getting help ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

As Pan flew over the clouds of Japan, watching the beautiful white mountain tops towards the west, she thought about what she had done, and how she could have prevented it. And what was she going to do if mrs. Yomi kept refusing after their stupid meeting on Thursday? This was so embarrassing for her. Why didn't she just keep her mouth shut? Why couldn't she keep her mouth shut?
 
“Blech! I wish this out of control-thing could be over with!”
 
She had spent at least 20 hours a week meditating to stop the yet untamed anger inside of her from surfacing, and she had made sure to avoid stressful situations, and had slept at least 8 hours a day. Also, she had to drink her grandmother Chi-Chi's infamous relaxing tea, that tasted like plastic and looked like something found in the toilets at school.
 
Pan increased her speed and let the cold air wildly her black hair behind her. She thought about Trunks, her best friend who was always there for her. How he understood, and had helped her the best he could. He had the assumption that this had to do with Pan growing into an adult, and her being part Saiyan, but Pan doubted that. She was more human than Saiyan after all. She doubted she would ever be able to reach SuperSaiyan, and if she could, she would probably be the weakest SuperSaiyan alive at that moment. Not all SuperSaiyans started at the same power level, after all.
 
She stopped trying to be a Saiyan long ago. She was, at this moment, 5000 times weaker than her father had been at this age. At that time, he had already reached the second level, and was, at that moment, the strongest creature in the universe. For a long, long time she had tried to compete with her fellow demi-Siayans, tried to impress the Saiyan side of the family, and especially her crush, the lavender-haired half-Saiyan Trunks. But every time the huge difference , the difference of one generation, became clear. And after a talk with Vegeta, she knew. She would NEVER be as strong as them, for she was too impure, too human. That's exactly how Vegeta stated it, and that is why Gohan had made a few nice imprints of the prince's face on the walls of Capsule Corp. After that the both of them had beaten the tar out of each other, until Vegeta powered up to SS3 and whipped the floor with her father. After that they went out for a beer.
 
Pan huffed. “Saiyan men are weird!”
Her dad had taken it much harder than she did. He was actually insulted. Pan just had a huge weight lifted off of her shoulders. She wasn't weak because she didn't try hard enough, but because she was more human. More normal. More belonging to Earth.
 
“But now this Saiyan side of mine might be acting up after all, if I have to believe Trunks!”
 
As she looked down, the view had changed quite a bit from a few minutes ago. The mountains where replaced by the industrial area of the huge city she was supposed to be at: West City! It had the most polluted air in Japan, though Capsule Corp tried to get the Hydrogen Tank on the market. They where hindered by lawsuits put up by oil companies, until those same oil companies had gotten their hands on the patents Capsule Corp held. This battle was probably never going to end. Well, at least until the oil reserves where gone, that is.
 
Pan pinched her nose and sped up, until she came to the west side of the city, where she saw the huge Capsule Corp skyscraper tower above all other buildings. That was where the CEO, Trunks Briefs, held office. He was supposedly the most powerful man in the world, passing Bill Gates in being the richest man in the world two years ago. His property, including his shares and companies, where estimated to be worth 700 billion dollars last year. Life was good for him.
 
Pan stopped in front of his office window, on the 58th floor(!), and looked inside. There was Trunks, holding up his cell phone to his ear with his shoulder, and still trying to type. He was wearing a blue/grey Armani suit, and a simple, but probably very expensive, blue tie. He had let his hair grow out, and it reached his shoulders. It was in a neat low ponytail.
 
“Yes, mom. Sure, mom. What are you cooking?”, Trunks said in a sweet tone, but with a disgusted look on his face.
 
Pan giggled and knocked on the window. Trunks looked up, and his face changed from disgust into mischief.
 
“Guess what, mom! Pan is coming too! Yeah! I know…hehehe…bye!”, he said, and he put the cell phone down.
 
Pan floated there fuming, arms crossed. She HATED Bulma's cooking, and he knew it!! That guy was never going to grow up!
 
Trunks waved at Pan, walked over to the window an opened it. Pan put her foot on the window-sill, and entered the office. She slapped Trunks across the head and sat down on the comfy chair across from Trunks chair.
 
“So, Trunks, how are you doing? I'm just fine. I ruined my future career today, how about you?”, Pan said in fake happy voice.
 
Trunks sat down on the black leather chair opposite from Pan, and sighed.
 
“What are we going to do about this, Pan?”, he asked her.
 
“My headmaster took care of that. He seems to be quite fond of Doctor Son, you know...” Pan said. She relaxed in her chair, and reached up to straighten out her bandana, but remembered it graced Yuko's arm now. She slapped her arm down and looked at Trunks.
 
“I didn't mean that. I meant: what are we going to do about this thing you're going trough? Obviously, mediation and sleep are not helping anymore.”
 
“They never even made a difference, Trunks… I don't know what to do now. I don't even know WHY this is happening to me!”, Pan said. “Am I going crazy? Maybe I'm schizophrenic! Or Maybe I have a developing personality disorder!”
“Geez, Pan. Have you been searching the internet or something? You can't diagnose yourself! You're not a doctor!”
 
“What if this is mental? How the hell am I supposed to stop this!?”, Pan called out desperately.
 
I don't want to lose control…
 
“Well, are you ready to have my mom run some tests? She might be able to detect something unusual. Maybe it's somatical and not mental. I mean, we don't know what kind of affect your Siayan blood might have on your body and mind. It might be easily curable by gene-therapy.”, Trunks said.
 
“Gene therapy?”, Pan asked. “How does that work?”
 
“Ask my mother. I'm not really into the medical stuff. But it basically tries to switch the defective genes in your cells for good ones. Or turns off the defective genes and adds better ones. One of the two. My mother knows more about it.”
 
“And exactly what defective genes? I suppose you mean my Siayan genes?” Pan asked carefully.
 
No-one messes with my identity.
 
“No, that would be the very last option we would ever try out! I don't think that's even possible!” , Trunks assured her.
 
Pan pondered about it a few minutes. It wouldn't hurt to get a check-up from Bulma.
But gene-therapy...that was just a step too far for her. She just hoped it wouldn't go that far.
 
“All right. I'll have this check-up. But I'm not making a decision about any therapy just yet!”, Pan said, as she looked up to Trunks again.
 
“Well, you can't. We don't even know what is wrong. So.. I'll call my mother to see when she has time….no, maybe it's better when YOU do it!”
 
Trunks grabbed his old-fashioned little cell phone and threw it to Pan, who, with her lightning fast reflexes, caught it easily.
 
“Okay..”, Pan said, as she dialled the number from the woman she saw as an aunt.
 
 
 
 
That evening, just before dinner, Pan landed on the doorstep of her house. She opened the door with her key and entered.
 
How many seconds until dad is over here and starts strangling me?, she wondered sarcastically.
Within 2 seconds her dad stood in front of her, but not with an angry expression, but with a worried one.
 
“Pan…what happened? Why did you leave school after that incident?”, Gohan asked her.
 
“I went to Trunks.”, she just said, looking at her dad.
 
Gohan frowned. What the heck was she always doing at that man's office? He wondered if something was wrong with Trunks to be hanging out with a young girl like her. Ad besides, HE was her father! She should be running to HIM, not to Trunks!
 
“Look, Pan. I'm not angry, because I know there's something going on with you, but you should have stayed at school! That headmaster of yours that has a crush on me called again, and said you disappeared without telling anybody. You probably have detention!”
 
Pan laughed loudly. “CRUSH!? Oh my God! That I didn't see that! I thought he liked me because I'm a good student, but he's really just after YOU! Muwahahahah!”
 
Gohan sweat-dropped.
 
“Funny. So, what did you talk about at Trunks'?”, Gohan inquired.
 
Pan whipped a tear from her cheek, and said: “Ohhh… well, he had me call Bulma, and she agreed to run some tests on me to see what is wrong. She'll call you at 7 p.m. to tell you everything about it.”
 
“Right.”, Gohan said, feeling a bit passed, that Pan would talk to Trunks and not to her, and that Bulma didn't talk to him first about the tests, before making an appointment with Pan.
 
Gohan sighed. He roughly stroked Pan's hair and playfully pushed her inside, towards the dining room. He turned and walked up the stairs.
 
“Go on, eat your spaghetti! Bulma will call in a few minutes, so I'll go upstairs. Tell your mother!”, he said to Pan.
 
As Gohan stood in front of the households study room, he listened to make sure Pan and Videl were talking. He heard Videl talk in an angry voice about what happened at school. He didn't care to listen to everything. He was about to speak to Bulma, and after that he would call Trunks and have a serious talk with him…
 
Gohan sat sown on the comfy chair, folded his hands, and waited, looking at the clock. And exactly 7:00 it rang. He grabbed the phone and put it to his ear.
 
“Hello?”
 
Hi, Gohan! How have you been?
 
I'm fine! Pan told me you would call me…
 
Yes… well of course you know about the situation at school today. I understand things aren't going so great with Pan's … situation, so, I want to help!I have some suggestions…
 
You're going to run some tests, right? I know you already made an appointment with Pan, and I appreciate it. But next time, ask me first! She's still a minor.
 
I'll do that next time. But she and Trunks contacted me, and I was sure you would want me to check up on her anyway. Am I right?
 
“Gohan smiled. “That's right. After the phone call from school, you where the first I was going to contact about it. But I was planning to talk to Pan first… but anyway… What are you planning to do?”
 
I would like you and Pan to come and see me about that. It will be much easier to explain if I can show you.
 
“Nothing dangerous, right, Bulma?”
 
Nothing dangerous, Gohan-kun.I set an appointment with Pan on saturday. Could you come in the morning? At about 9:00? And or some reason, Vegeta insists on being there as well. Can he come?
 
“I'm not sure if Pan would be comfortable with that, but you should ask her. But 9:00 is okay.”
 
All right, I'll see you then! Could you give me Pan?
 
“Yeah, sure. Bye, Bulma, and thank you!”
 
Gohan put the phone down and called out for Pan. He heard Pan come up the stairs, and they met at the door, where he gave her the phone.
 
“It's Bulma for you, hun. I'm going downstairs.”
 
“Thanks, dad!”, Pan said, and she put the phone to her ear.
 
As Gohan entered the kitchen, he saw his wife was already rinsing the dishes to put them in the dishwasher. He put his arms around her from behind, and put his chin on her right shoulder. Videl sighed, and stopped rinsing.
 
“Will she be all right?”
 
Gohan said nothing. He didn't know.
 
 
_@*
 
 
If you want to beta read…. Please mail me at noukbeest@hotmail.com! Thank you!