Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Peaches & Creme ❯ I Would Be Honored ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Peaches & Creme

º º º

"What do you mean she's missing?" Goten bellowed into the reciever. He knew that it was probably his fault that Marron had gone missing, but he partly blamed Trunks for not taking better care of her.

"I woke up this morning and she wasn't here! Her side of the bed is made though, and her shoes were gone, so, I know she went on her own," Trunks replied, sounding shooken up.

"It's okay, don't worry, I'll help look for her. But first, did you look around the hotel?"

"Of course I did, Goten!" Trunks shouted.

"Hey, there's no reason to get mad at me. I'll be right over to help you look for her."

When Goten hung up the phone, Paris asked, her voice trembling, "W-What was all that about?"

Goten had almost forgotten she was still there with him, even after what they had just talked about.

"Trunks can't find Marron, and he thinks she's gone off somewhere on her own. I'm going over to help look for her."

"I'm coming with you!" Paris said, standing from the bed. "Marron is as much my friend as she is yours. We can talk about us later."

"Paris--" Goten began, his voice rising. He then rememebered what Marron had told him on the boat, and how inhuman it was to just leave his girlfriend behind. "All right, you can come. Right now, the important thing is to find Marron and make sure she's okay."

Paris nodded, wipping tears from her mahogany-colored eyes.

º º º

"Hey," Trunks greeted as Goten landed on Trunks's hotel balcony, Paris in his arms.

"Any more news on Marron?" Paris asked, peeking around Goten's shoulder to get a better look at the beautiful and expensive hotel room that was occupied by a single bed. Paris cringed as she felt a stab of jealousy.

"No, but I found out that she took her purse.... She left her cell phone though," he replied softly, pointing to a pink-plated cell phone laying on the night stand near the bed. He went and picked it up in his hands and sat down on the edge of the bed, staring at it.

"We should split up and look--"

"Why do you think she'd just leave like this?" Trunks cried, his face flushed.

"I...I don't know," Goten lied, mentally cursing himself. "Maybe she just wanted some time to herself."

"I know she didn't go shopping or anything, because she would have at least left me a note," Trunks thought aloud, as though he hadn't heard a word Goten had just said. "And she wouldn't have forgotten her phone unless she didn't want to be found, right?"

"Oh Trunks," Paris said, sitting down beside him and patting his knee. "We'll find her. She loves you; she'd never just get up and leave."

Goten flinched at this comment, but no one seemed to notice. It was odd: ever since Trunks had called, Goten's seasickness had instantly vanished. But was this new pain in his gut his guilty conscious rearing it's ugly head?

"Come on, let's split up and look. I'll rent a car and we can drive around the beach," Trunks said, a new bravado rising within him.

"I'll go search the mall and other nearby stores" Paris suggested, getting up from the bed. Trunks handed her a map of all the shops that he had gotten from the hotel lobby when he and Marron had arrived.

º º º

Marron had been walking all night up and down the sandy beaches. The sun had just begun to rise when she had to stop to rest a minute.

"Wheww.... I wonder if Trunks is up yet?" she panted. "I feel so hypocritical! I just got mad at Goten for leaving Paris, and now look what I'm doing to Trunks." She sat down on a large rock and gazed out at the vast ocean and lost herself in her thoughts for a moment.

She thought of that picture that had been changed in her mind. Her and Goten married.... The thought made her feel all warm inside. Why had it taken her so long to realize that it was Goten she truely loved and not Trunks? If she had found out sooner, would she still be with her fiancee?

"Marron?!" shouted a famillar voice high above her.

It wasn't Goten, but Trunks, desending beside her on the beach. He stared a moment into her blue eyes, and then gave her a once over.

"Baby, are you all right? You're not hurt, are you?" he asked, taking hold of her hands.

"No, I'm fine," she replied dully, staring down at the small pebbles on the sand as if they had much more importance than Trunks being there.

"So, why did you run away then?" Trunks asked, almost too softly.

"I-I don't know Trunks. I guess I just freaked out about this whole wedding thing. You know, pre-wedding jitters," Marron explained.

"Oh Marron, why didn't you tell me this sooner? I'm just as nervous about this as you are. You didn't have to run off like that!" said Trunks, pulling Marron into a strong embrace.

Marron felt tears whelling up quickly. How could Trunks still love her, even after she left him to be with Goten at night? Of course, he didn't know about her late night escapade.

"I'm really sorry, babe. I guess I wasn't thinking straight...." Marron said, remembering her time alone on the boat with Goten. The pale moon light and stars had made the scene so romantic. This pull on her heart for Goten seemed to get stronger everyday. At least tomorrow they would be on the plane ride back home to Japan.

"Um... are you sure that's all that's wrong?" Trunks asked skeptically.

"Of course, but we should probably get back to the hotel. We still do have a wedding to plan," Marron said, smiling.

º º º

"Where in the world did you find her, Trunks?" Goten asked, once they were all back at the hotel. As soon as they had gotten back, Marron had fallen asleep in their large bed. That's why they talked in whispers just outside of the room.

"She was on the other side of the island, resting on a large bolder. She was quite a ways from here. She must have been walking for quite some time then...." Trunks grumbled, staring into his best friend's eyes.

Goten averted his eyes, and began to pace the long hallway.

"Hey, why are you still shaken up about this, Goten? Marron's back with Trunks and she's safe!" Paris chimed, placing a soft hand on his leg as he strode past. He turned and looked at her with a sad expression on his face.

Everything that had happened in the last twenty four hours had finally taken it's toll on poor Goten. He slumped down against the wall, and then buried his head in his hands. He couldn't believe that Marron was back with Trunks again. He, Goten, was the one who loved her! He sighed deeply, shaking his head.

"Hey, buddy.... What's wrong?" Trunks asked, sliding over towards him.

Goten looked up, and gave Trunks a small smile. "Nothing, don't worry about it."

"Yah know, I would be honored if you would be my best man at the wedding," Trunks said with a grin, giving Goten a soft punch in the arm.

"Really? Well, that sounds great," Goten said.

º º º

That night, Trunks stayed wide awake. He had had four cups of coffee, not having wanted to fall under sleep's tempting spell; he had to make sure nothing else happened to Marron. He was going to be her husband, after all. He made a deal with himself to start watching out more for her, and that meant making sure she didn't run off again.

He watched the slow rise and fall of her chest, as she breathed easily in her slumber. He was glad she at least could have a restful sleep on their last night in Hawaii....

º º º

"Trunks, are you sure that's everything?" Marron asked, sitting on her large suitcase to slam it shut. She jumped off and quickly zipped the zipper, and then pulled it off their giant-sized bed.

"Yes, Marron," Trunks mumbled, tossing a duffle bag out into the hallway.

"What's wrong?" Marron asked, dragging her suitcase just outside the door.

"Nothing, okay?" Trunks snapped. "I just didn't sleep well, that's all...." He followed Marron outside the room, slamming the door behind them. He then turned and picked up the heavy luggage bags with ease.

Marron, not wanting to upset Trunks further, stayed quiet and fumbled with her bags. Staying three foot paces behind, she followed Trunks into the mirrored elevator. She had just gotten in when the door closed behind her; Trunks had already pushed the button for the floor they desired.

She was glad that the elevator shook so much, because then Trunks couldn't tell that she was trembling. She didn't know what had set him off this morning, and she was a little afraid to pry when he had already told her it was from lack of sleep.

"Umm...Trunks?" she begun, quietly.

"Yeah?"

She hesitated for a brief moment, before continuing, "I wanted to thank you for bringing me here, I had a great time." She stood on her tiptoes and brushed her lips across his cheek. "I love you, babe."
Inside, Marron winced. What she had just said sounded strange, and almost alien. Did she really and truely mean it anymore?


Trunks took her hands, staring at them for a while, before slowly dropping them at her sides.

"I'm sorry I snapped you at back there, Marron. I told you, nothing's wrong, I'm just tired," Trunks said, giving a small smile. "Anyway, Goten called this morning and said he and Paris wanted to tell us goodbye before we left. They should be waiting for us outside the hotel."

"What time does their ship set off?" Marron asked, adjusting the heavy bag on her shoulder.

"I think he said about five-thirty or six," Trunks replied as the elevator doors opened once they reached the lobby. They rushed out as a small crowd of people clambered in to go up to the pool. After checking out of the hotel, they exited the glass doors that led to Waikiki Beach. They were barely out there for a minute when Marron spotted Goten and Paris making their way over.

"Howdy guys!" Paris greeted, giving them both a quick hug. "You two have a safe trip back!"

"Thanks, you too. Try not to get sick on the way home,Goten!" Marron laughed, seeing how nervous he was looking. Goten gave her a small nod, and then turned away.

Finally, Trunks heard Marron say that they had to get going, for fear that they wouldn't make it back home in the time their families expected. Marron gave Paris one last hug, and then walked over to hug Goten.

Their embrace lasted longer than it should have, because neither of them wanted to let go first.

Trunks watched them for a while, before pulling Marron away and bringing her towards himself. He held her hand protectively as they walked off to board their plane back to Japan.

º º º