Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Princess of the Saiyans ❯ The Pains of Progress ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Princess of the Saiyans
Chapter 3: The Pains of Progress

Note: Please keep in mind that this isn't in normal continuity. And Goku does appear once...sort of.


Pan could see the glowing shape in front of her, but for some reason, she wasn't afraid. It got closer and closer, until she could make out a body among the golden flames. And then she saw the face.

"Grampa Goku!"

Goku smiled and reached for her. "Doesn't my favorite granddaughter have a hug for me?"

Pan flew into his arms, pressing her head against his chest. "You're silly, Grampa! I'm your only granddaughter."

"So that makes you the favorite automatically." He patted her head fondly. "So, I hear you're going to train with Vegeta now."

"You know about that?"

"Yeah, King Kai told me. Is he being nice to you?"

"Yes. Why?"

Goku grinned. "Just wondering. He was never nice to ME."

"Well, you weren't as cute as me, Grampa."

"True enough." Goku kissed her forehead. "Don't forget about me, okay?"

"I could never do that, Grampa Goku. I'll always remember you..."

* * * * *

"Pan, wake up."

Her eyes slowly flickered open, and she smiled. "Sensei! What are you doing here?"

Vegeta leaned back. "You wanted to start early," he said, nodding towards the darkness outside her window. "It's early."

"Okay, let me get dressed."

Vegeta nodded and left the room.

Several minutes later, Pan emerged, fully dressed.

"What took you so long?" he asked.

"I had to leave a note for Daddy." Once he had rolled his eyes, she asked, "How did you get in here?"

"That's my secret."

"Well, how are you going to get out?"

Vegeta frowned and tucked her under one arm. "Never mind. Just pay attention." He raised two fingers to his forehead and narrowed his eyes (even though they naturally looked that way). Seconds later, they were standing outside the Capsule Corporation.

"You learned Grampa's Instant Transmission!" Pan giggled.

"You are NEVER to tell anyone about that."

"Okay, Sensei. What are we gonna do today?"

Vegeta put her down and said, "Follow me."

Pan quickly caught up with him and grabbed his hand, though he didn't seem to mind as much as he had before. Despite how dark it was, Vegeta could still see her bouncing energetically at his side. She was too cute sometimes.

Vegeta stopped in front of one of the many spaceships on the outer edge of the large compound. "Do you know what this is?"

Pan looked up. "Yeah! It's a spaceship!"

"It's more than that. It's a training area."

"Are we gonna train in there?"

"Eventually. For now, only you will." Vegeta typed a code into the keypad, and the door slid open.

Pan ran inside, looking at everything. "Wow! It's big!"

"It needs to be." Vegeta walked over to a machine in the center. "Do you know what this is?"

Pan went over to where he was standing. "Nope. What?"

"It's a gravity simulator. It lets you increase the gravity in here up to 500 times normal."

Pan scratched her head. "But wouldn't that smush me?"

Vegeta resisted the urge to laugh. "Yes. That's why you have to get strong first. You'll start out at 1G, and when you're comfortable with that, go to the next level."

"But what do I do?" Pan asked.

Vegeta stretched his arms. "I'll show you."

* * * * *

"Tell me again why you think this is a GOOD idea," Videl said, staring at her husband.

"Well, Vegeta's going to teach Pan how to get stronger," Gohan replied. "That way, if we're ever attacked again, I could concentrate on the enemy if I knew Pan could take care of herself...and you."

"And why is it Vegeta's teaching her instead of you? Didn't you tell me that Goku taught you how to fight?"

Gohan had to think about that one. "Actually, Piccolo started my training, but yes, Dad did teach me a lot more. But I can't do that with Pan, Videl."

"Why not?" Videl asked, starting to get angry.

"Well, she's PAN! Dad was able to teach me because I was his son, and I'd grown up fighting. He knew I could take the punishment, and he pushed me until I got stronger. But Pan is my-OUR-little girl! She's never fought a day in her life, and I could never even imagine raising a fist at her, even if it was to teach her something. In the end, I'd be too easy on her, and the only one that would get hurt by it is her."

"Gohan, you're one of the most peaceful men I know. Vegeta-from what I've seen, mind you-is a loose cannon personified! What makes you think he would be a better teacher than you?"

"For one thing, he has no problem hitting a girl. For another, he knew Dad better than most of us did. In a weird way, they were like brothers. Vegeta's the only one that could ever really give Dad a run for his money, besides me near the end. And though he'd never admit it, I think Vegeta wants to do this for Dad. Sort of a way for making up letting Cell kill him."

"But you told me Vegeta did his best and Cell just brushed him off."

"But if it wasn't for Vegeta providing the distraction, I'm still not sure I would've beat Cell. Besides, I know it's morbid to say this, but Vegeta swore up and down that he'd kill anyone that tried to off Dad before he did. I kinda wish it had been him instead of Cell. At least Vegeta wouldn't have destroyed the planet afterwards. At least, I don't THINK he would have..."

"That's ANOTHER thing! How can we trust him? With Goku gone, he might...go evil or something!"

Gohan shook his head. "Videl, it's been years since Dad died. The only threatening thing Vegeta's done since then is dump Trunks and Goten on us from time to time. Besides, I've seen him with Pan, and I honestly think he cares for her. Again, not that he'd ever admit it, but I think there's some kind of bond between them."

* * * * *

"Mom, how long is Papa gonna stay out there?" Trunks asked.

Bulma shrugged. "I don't know, honey. You know how he is about training."

"How who is?" Vegeta asked, suddenly appearing behind her.

Bulma shrieked. "Vegeta! Don't DO that!" Then she stared at him. "Wait. What are YOU doing in here?!"

Vegeta arched an eyebrow. "I LIVE here, just like you do."

"NO! I mean..." Bulma shook her head. "If you're in here, then who's in there?" she asked, pointing out the window at the nearest spaceship.

"Pan," Vegeta replied simply.

Trunks spit out his orange juice. "WHAT?!" He jumped from his chair and started to fly out of the window.

Vegeta grabbed his son's leg and threw him back into his seat. "Leave her alone. She's fine."

"How can you say that?! Pan doesn't know anything about battle!"

"That's why she's learning."

"But...Gohan said he wouldn't teach-"

"He isn't," Vegeta interrupted. "I am."

Trunks blinked a few times. "Oh."

"I can't believe everyone is okay with this!" Bulma cried. "Do Gohan and Videl even know about-"

Vegeta waved her away. "I told them. They didn't argue. Not that it would have mattered if they had."

"But she's a GIRL!" Bulma said.

"Which is precisely what her opponents will think, right before she kills them," Vegeta pointed out.

Bulma couldn't deny the strategic advantage in that. "But...but..."

Vegeta turned back to his son. "Starting today, I want you and Goten to start training again. If I'm whipping one child into shape, you two might as well get something out of it. Now go wake up the brat."

Trunks didn't offer a single word of protest.

* * * * *

Pan was no stranger to exercise. Videl had dragged her to many workout classes, and she had been paying attention, for the most part. She was very healthy for a girl her age, and everyone else said so.

However, the routine Vegeta had demonstrated was no mere workout. There were so many flips, kicks, punches, and combinations of the three that Pan had nearly fainted when she'd first seen it. Vegeta had to repeat the routine seven more times before she learned it all. But learning and doing were two very different things, as she soon found out.

Still, she hadn't given up. Training was much too important to her. There were so many people that would treat her differently if she got strong. Her parents would be proud, Goten would just be shocked, and Trunks might actually stop saying that all girls were weak. She imagined even Vegeta might smile once or twice. If she was lucky, anyway. And, of course, there was always her grandfather's spirit to consider.

So Pan had worked harder than ever, pushing and pushing until she finally had to stop to catch her breath and let her limbs rest.

It was then that someone knocked on the door.

Trying not to look too tired, Pan opened the door and gasped. "Sensei!"

Vegeta looked down at her. "You sound surprised to see me."

"Well...I am. You said I've have all day to practice, and it's only...um...

"Noon," Vegeta replied.

"Oh."

"Anyway, I've come to check your progress."

Pan blinked in disbelief. "But...but I'm not done yet!"

"I know that. You can continue after I'm done."

"But...I can still get stronger! Just a few-"

"Pan. Move." It was not a request.

Pan moved aside.

Vegeta walked past her and hit the recall button on the simulator.

"Returning to previous gravity setting," the computer announced. "Seven times normal gravity."

Vegeta thought for a moment. It was pretty good, for someone who'd never even been in a real fight. It was certainly more than he'd expected from her. She should be proud of herself. However, recalling her hesitation to let him enter, he realized it was possible that she wasn't.

He turned around, startled to see Pan's head lowered and her shoulders shaking slightly. Was she...crying? No, that couldn't be it. But then, she was a girl. Maybe she was...but why?

"Pan," he said slowly. "Look at me."

Pan slowly raised her head. She looked upset, but she wasn't crying. And then two large tears built up in her eyes and rolled down her face. They were followed by a large number of sniffles.

Vegeta blinked once. Twice. She WAS crying. "Why are you crying?" he asked.

Pan wiped her nose on her arm. "I-I'm not strong yet," she muttered. "I'm still weak. I thought I could get strong...but I'm still weak."

"These things take time," Vegeta replied after a while, still a little surprised, both at her and himself. "Anyway, you're doing well."

"N-No, I'm not. You're just saying that so I'll stop crying."

"No. I'm saying that because it's true. And if I wanted you to stop crying, I would do this." Vegeta walked over to her, raised her to eye level, and simply said, "Stop crying."

Pan instantly fell silent, and the tears eventually stopped.

"You've done enough for the day." Vegeta put her down. "You can stop now, if you want."

"If I want?"

Vegeta paused and looked down at her. "You don't want to stop?"

"No..."

This time, he was definitely surprised. "I see." He stared at her for a moment, then headed out the door. "Come and find me when you're done."

"Yes, Sensei."

Just before the door closed behind him, Vegeta heard the computer beep and announce, "New setting: ten times normal gravity. Beginning simulation." For the first time that day, he smiled.

* * * * *

"So let me see if I heard you right," the Lord of Hell said slowly. "You all want permission to leave?"

"Not leave," Dr. Gero corrected. "We would still be here in every way that mattered. We want permission to use this machine." He held up something that looked like a metal bread box.

"What does it do?"

"It allows the user-"

"Or users," Dr. Willow added.

"-to enter the dreams of the living."

The Lord of Hell stroked his beard. "Well, it would depend on who you're planning to use it on."

"Only our enemies," Dr. Gero replied. "Vegeta, Piccolo, anyone that had anything to do with Goku..."

"No. That's too many. You may choose...three."

"Vegeta," Dr. Gero said. "He destroyed my android!"

"And Gohan," Cell stated. "I want him."

"And Goten," Frieza added. "I want both of Goku's sons."

"Fair enough." The Lord of Hell stroked his beard. "In exactly ten years, I will give you one week to use the machine on all three. Until then, I suggest you prepare yourselves."

"Oh, don't worry," Cell said, smiling evilly. "We most certainly will."

* * * * *

The only parts of Pan's body that didn't ache were her hair and eyelids. Still, she was proud of herself now. She had reached 20G, and it had only taken her until one in the morning. Of course, now she could barely walk, but she figured it was worth it.

Slowly and painfully, she crawled out of the spaceship and made her way back to the house. Unfortunately, her legs gave out, and she collapsed. Fortunately, the grass was soft enough.

She'd only been there a few minutes when someone lifted her from the ground. Pan slowly opened her eyes. "Sensei?"

"Yes, Pan?"

"Nothing. Just making sure it was you."

"Are you proud of yourself now?"

She smiled faintly. "Yeah. How'd you know I was out here?"

Vegeta sighed and carried her toward the house. "Congratulations. You now have a ki. At least, one I can sense."

"Really?" She blinked a few times.

"Yes. I thought I felt a new one, and then I realized it was just yours...but with some power behind it."

Pan yawned a bit. "I'm sleepy."

"You should be. You were in there all day."

"Should I call Daddy?"

Vegeta shook his head. "I imagine Bulma already did. You will stay here tonight."

"Are you sure? If there's not enough room-"

"There's enough, trust me. Goten always sleeps in Trunks' room, anyway. You can have the one we cleaned out for him."

From that point on, Pan drifted in and out of consciousness, and was vaguely aware of her head settling against a pillow. She forced her eyes to open, only to see Vegeta draping a blanket over her. "Will we start early tomorrow?"

Vegeta stiffened. Obviously, he'd thought she was still asleep. "No," he said at last. "You can't walk as it is. Your limbs are useless until you get some rest."

"But I-"

"Rest," he repeated.

"I don't need-"

"Pan."

She recognized that his voice was approaching being irritated and stopped resisting. Her eyes closed, but she could hear him moving around the room still. The sounds stopped abruptly, and she thought he had gone. Then something brushed her cheek, and there was the sound of something being placed on the nightstand. Finally, the footsteps retreated into the hall, and there was silence.

Pan somehow got her eyes to open and looked over at the counter. She was surprised to find a double family picture there. On the left, she could see members of the Son family, including herself, her parents, Goten, and her grandparents. On the right was the Briefs family: Vegeta, Bulma, and Trunks. Naturally, Pan, Goten, and Trunks were in the front, as they were the shortest.

Pan then noticed that Vegeta and her grandfather were standing next to each other. By the look on Vegeta's face, it wasn't one of his favorite moments, but there was Grampa Goku, looking as if all was right with the world. She smiled faintly, then closed her eyes.

* * * * *

Vegeta hadn't wanted to stare at the picture, but he had. At least, he tried to tell himself it was the picture, and not the little girl who'd worn herself out for his approval. But Vegeta was slowly beginning to accept that Pan was assuming a greater importance in his life than he'd first planned to allow her. Today, alone, he'd barely thought about anything else.

And for some reason, that was disturbing.

Vegeta had a family now, and although he didn't spend every waking moment thinking about them, they usually took up a fairly good portion of his thoughts. He'd only spoken to Trunks once, and Bulma twice. Pan, on the other hand...well, when had he NOT spoken to her?

"Tomorrow," he told himself. "When Pan is still asleep in the morning, I'll take Trunks and Goten out to train." Assured for at least one more night that he wasn't becoming soft, Vegeta nodded to himself and went to get a good night's sleep. Little did he know, that assurance would have to be renewed the following night and every night for the next few years, until it became a meaningless routine that he only went through for the sake of sounding tough...to himself, anyway.

Continued in Chapter 4: Dangerous Dreams