Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Princess of the Saiyans ❯ Angel ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Angel

Notes: By popular demand, the very last story in the "Princess of the Saiyans" series. There is NO room for negotiation, this is the last one, people. Sorry.
This story is written from the POV of Junai, the young Saiyan that was Brolly's assistant in "Super Saiyan Saints." Oh, and if you can't guess who Junai is in love with by the fourth paragraph, shame on you!

2nd Note: Tapion (hope I spelled that right) is the one who gave Future Trunks that funky (in a good way!) sword. Which is weird, since you only see him in the present timeline. Go figure.

Summary: Junai falls in love with an older female Saiyan, but can he summon the courage to help her when she needs him most?


I don't even know her name...but that would ruin the suspense.

I don't have any titles that might impress her, but I do have a rather important job. I am the personal assistant of Brolly, The Judge. When necessary, I explain the rules to the combatants, because if they aren't followed, there would be BIG trouble. I also make sure Brolly's wardrobe always looks its absolute best.

Okay, maybe the job isn't that impressive. But I don't think my angel would mind. She isn't the type to be impressed easily, anyway.

I don't even remember when I first saw her...but I do remember what I saw that day. A wonderful, powerful, beautiful phoenix, ablaze in all its glory. My breath was taken away by the very sight. Then, I merely thought I was smitten. A schoolboy crush, I heard Brolly say once.

But then...then the flames died away, and I saw her true form.

As a Saiyan, I was taught to praise power and skills in battle. But for the first time in my life, all I could think about praising was the beauty of this incredible young woman.

Maybe young is a bad word. She's older than me, actually, and I'm just a kid. At least, Brolly says I am, and he's always right.

But from that first time, I could never keep my eyes off her. Whenever I was done with my duties, I spent every free moment watching her and only her. I couldn't feel her or even hear what must have been the sweetest voice ever to speak. All I had was a vision of loveliness...and that was always enough.

I told no one of my forbidden feelings. Brolly would have my head, Prince Vegeta would laugh at me, and the king...I don't even want to think what he might have done to me.

I don't know how long it was before I finally noticed the red glow around her body. Only the dead can see something like that, and only a Saiyan could know what it meant for one of his own. She didn't have very long left.

At first, I refused to believe it. How could my beautiful, marvelous angel be dying? She had only done good deeds in her life, or what I had seen of it. Surely this was some mistake on fate's part.

But there was no error. She was indeed dying, and I realized how foolish I was being. She wasn't my angel, I was HER angel. I was already dead...but I could watch over her final days, and wish with all my heart that they were her happiest ones yet. And that is exactly what I did.

It happened during one of Goku and Prince Vegeta's fights. One moment, they were going at it like no one else could, and then there was a scream. It turned out to be Gohan. He kept screaming like he was dying all over again, and I couldn't understand why. Then Goku and Prince Vegeta started doing the same thing. Then I joined them, not even knowing what the terrible pain in my head and heart was. I just knew that it was the worst thing that I had ever felt.

Prince Vegeta was the first to stop screaming. I don't know how he managed to fight the pain, because I felt like my head would explode. But what he did next was just as unbelievable. Prince Vegeta's hands began to glow with raw, white-hot power as he seemed to grab...something. Then a black hole appeared in front of him, getting larger as he pulled. Goku was the first to realize what Vegeta was actually doing. He was tearing a hole in space, literally rending the barrier that separated heaven from everywhere else. And even when I knew that much, I still didn't know what had enabled Vegeta to do that.

When it was large enough, Vegeta vanished into the black hole. He was only gone for a few moments, and when he returned, he wasn't alone. Despite his somewhat small stature, Vegeta was carrying two people at least a head taller than him. One I didn't recognize, but the other was...her.

Even in death, she was beautiful. Yes, she was soaked in blood, and most of her clothing was either torn or burned away, but I was still captivated by her presence. Brolly himself could've called me at that moment, and I wouldn't have moved an inch.

Vegeta flew straight to the palace and demanded that the two receive the best medical care a departed soul could get. He was not denied. I couldn't figure out why the prince was behaving so strangely. I'd never seen him...care about anyone. I asked Goku about it later on.

"They're his children," Goku said simply. But I could tell his heart was aching as he spoke, and I wondered if, somehow, he was related to the prince's children.

* * * * *

Later that day, Brolly was summoned to the palace. For some reason, he wanted me to go with him.

King Vegeta seemed to be more upset than usual. I wondered if he was concerned about the prince's children.

"Brolly, we need a healer," the king said simply. "Do you know of one among us?"

"None, my king," Brolly replied. "I have never known of a Saiyan who could do such things."

"It is as I feared," the king muttered. "Only one of pure, innocent spirit would possess such gifts. But who among us has never taken another life?"

There was silence for a few long moments, and then a hand was placed on my shoulder. I looked up to see Goku smiling down at me. "This one," he said.

Everyone turned to look at me, and I could do nothing to avoid their eyes.

"Is this true, Junai?" Brolly asked in surprise. "You have never killed?"

"It's t-true, sir," I whispered, wishing I could disappear. I was afraid he would be angry with me. "I never wanted to fight, and before I had the chance to, Frieza...he..."

"They know, Junai," Goku interrupted, patting my shoulder. He looked at the others and said, "This boy has a pure spirit. He can help."

And that was how I came face-to-face with my angel. They expected me to heal her, somehow. I had never done anything like that. I wasn't even sure if I had a power level. But one look at Prince Vegeta's face convinced me that I had to at least try, or risk his wrath.

* * * * *

I was taken to Prince Vegeta's chambers, where they had placed his children. Vegeta wanted to oversee the entire process, but Goku insisted that I be left to alone to do my work. Vegeta agreed, but required that the door be locked behind me, and that I not be allowed to leave until his children where fully healed.

For a long time after they locked me in, I could only stare at her. Never in my wildest fantasies had I imagined I would be so close to my angel. It dawned upon me that I might have to touch her, and the mere thought terrified me. But something inside pushed me forward, and soon I was looking down at her, wondering what in heaven's name I was supposed to do.

Finally, realizing that I wouldn't have the chance to eat or relieve myself until I was done, I opted to try. Experimentally, I placed my right hand on her forehead. Her skin was soft and cold, and I couldn't resist the chance to touch the silky strands of dark hair that spilled from her orange headwrap.

Without warning, my hands took on a strange glow. Before I realized what was happening, the glow blinded me. I was vaguely aware of landing on my rear end when the glow stopped as suddenly as it had begun.

And then...she opened her eyes, blinked, and took her first breath.

I couldn't believe it. Somehow...I had done what they expected of me. I had healed her...if not in body, then in spirit, but I had done it. Me. Little Junai, youngest of the dead Saiyans, and probably the weakest.

Slowly, she sat up.

I think it dawned on us at the same time that they had taken her clothes.

I turned away as quickly as I could (shamefully slow for a Saiyan), while she covered herself with the white sheets. I could feel my cheeks growing red, even as I tried to calm myself.

It was a long time before she spoke.

"Hey," she whispered.

I turned my head slightly. "Y-Yes?"

She had wrapped the sheet around her, covering anything that might've caused me to faint instantly. "Come over here," she said, patting the spot next to her.

I blinked a few times. "Are you sure?"

She smiled. "Yeah, I'm sure. You don't look TOO dangerous, and if you wanted to hurt me, I don't think you would've healed me. That was you, wasn't it?"

I nodded and slowly walked over to her, stopping a few inches away.

"What's your name?" she asked.

"J-Junai," I stammered.

"Well, Junai. Do you think you could heal my husband, too? He died trying to avenge me."

The words hurt me more than anything physical would have. I had never stopped to consider, beautiful as she was, that she might be married.

I think she could sense the change in my face. "Are you okay?" she asked, reaching out to cup my cheek in her petal soft hand.

I felt my cheeks burning and quickly pulled away. "I'll h-heal him n-now," I muttered, lowering my head a bit.

"Okay," she said softly, staring at me.

I could feel her eyes on me as I healed him. There was the same glow, but he didn't sit up, or open his eyes. But his chest began to rise and fall, so at least he was alive, in a sense.

"Thank you so much, Junai," she said, smiling at me. "Is there anything I can do to show my appreciation?"

I found myself almost screaming, "Forget about him!" but I tightened my lips and said, "Nothing. Just...nothing." And before she could stop me, I turned and beat on the door until it opened a second later.

Prince Vegeta stood there, and as soon as he saw her, he forgot all about me and strode past. I quickly ran past anyone who might've stopped me, finally thankful for my small size.

But as fast as I ran, I couldn't forget the way she'd looked at me, with such trust and happiness. I had to keep reminding myself that she was only happy because I'd helped her husband. The man in her life. Him, not me. Only him.

* * * * *

For days, I stayed in my room, interrupted only by Gohan and Goku. They both thanked me for healing her, and said that Prince Vegeta sent his thanks as well.
Much as I wanted to, I knew I couldn't stay there forever. There was a fight planned within the next few days, and I couldn't just forget my duties.

So, early on the appointed morning, I rose before the sun and prepared Brolly's wardrobe. Then I double-checked the arena, making sure it was clean. Finally, I put on my Saiyan armor. Though I'd never fought a day in my life, it was required of anyone who worked at the arena. Brolly was the only exception.

Brolly arrived a few hours before the fight, and I helped him get dressed. He mentioned that I'd done a good job, but I wasn't sure if he meant his wardrobe, or healing my angel the other day. I didn't dare ask him for clarification. Brolly hated to be questioned by someone less important than himself.

When it was almost time for the fight to start, I was surprised to see Gohan coming up to me. He informed me that he would be fighting for the first time since he'd arrived in heaven. I had always thought Gohan was a man of peace, and I thought it strange that he was a Super Saiyan. I wondered what could possibly convince him to fight. Then I got my answer.

Just behind Gohan, carrying a sword, was...him. Her husband.

"Trunks, this is Junai," Gohan said, by way of introduction.

Trunks looked at me. "So you're the one my wife keeps talking about."

I could hardly believe my ears. She'd...told him about me? But why?

Trunks smiled and shook my hand. "Well, thanks for healing us both."

I could only nod. That is, until Brolly told me to put the sword in a safe place.

Once that was done, I walked into the arena with him so he could introduce the fighters in that booming voice of his. I allowed my eyes to wander, and they just happened to land on Prince Vegeta and Goku. Then I realized who was between them.

It was her. My angel. And she was smiling...and waving...at me?

Before I had a chance to think, Gohan and Trunks walked past me. My heart sank as I followed Brolly to the sidelines. She'd been waving at Trunks, not me.

Though the fights usually amazed me, I couldn't bring myself to watch.

But, ten minutes into the fight, someone tapped me on the shoulder. I was about to inform them that no one but Brolly and myself was allowed there, but my voice failed me, and with good reason.

It was her.

My eyes widened, and I was only slightly aware of her asking Brolly if she could borrow me for a while. He must've agreed at some point, because the next thing I knew, we were sitting in the Down to Earth Diner, waiting to be served.

It suddenly occurred to me that, technically, this was a date. Although the food was free and she was married, this was really a date.

"You always this quiet?" she asked suddenly.

I blushed. "Not all the time, but..."

"Am I making you nervous, Junai? Be honest."

"Well...yes," I finally admitted, lowering my head.

"Why?"

"You...you mean you don't know?"

"Not really. The only thing I could think of is that you sensed my power level, or you heard some stories about me."

"Stories? What stories?"

"You mean you don't know?" She sighed in relief. "Finally! I'm glad there's someone out there that didn't know I was a Supreme Saiyan."

"A...what?"

"Yeah, it's new. Now any half-breed that can go Super is called Supreme. I thought they were just discriminating at first, but Supreme sounds a lot better than Super. And they named it for me, so I guess I should be happy. But if that's not what scares you, then what is it?"

I took a deep breath. Then another. "Well...please don't be upset with me..."

"I promise I won't," she replied, smiling at me.

"I think...that I'm...kinda...in love with you."

She blinked. The smile faded. "Really?"

I nodded.

She blinked again, then tilted her head a bit. "Why?"

I blinked. "You...you're BEAUTIFUL!" I shouted, drawing some attention from nearby tables.

She shrugged. "Never thought of myself as pretty. But I guess Vegeta didn't want me to get distracted by what I looked like."

"Well, you still are," I insisted.

"Thanks." She shook her head and smiled again. "So you're in love with me, huh? What do you like best about me?"

"Your smile," I whispered, blushing and looking away.

"Aw, you're sweet to say that." She paused and thought for a moment. "I think I'll take you home with me. Sound fun?"

I blinked. "HUH?!"

"I meant to visit my kids. They're still on Earth."

"Oh. Sure, Miss...um..."

She laughed at me. "You're in love with me and you don't even know my name! Wait until Dad hears this!"

"Well, I was too nervous to ask!" I cried.

She chuckled. "Well, it's Pan, Junai, and I expect you to remember it."

* * * * *

We ended up on a large island. There was rocky ground as far as the eye could see.

"Your kids are here?" I asked.

Pan nodded. "They must be. C'mon, let's look around."

After a few minutes, we finally found what looked like a small boy sitting on a rock. He didn't look like a Saiyan, though. He looked more like a Martian. He had pale green skin, and an unruly shock of bright orange hair running down the center of his head. There was a huge sword strapped to his back, and he appeared to be waiting on something or someone.

"Who's that?" I asked.

"Tapion," she whispered. "What's he doing here? Trunks told me he was a fighter from the future!"

Tapion suddenly looked up, and for a moment, I thought he'd heard us. Then I noticed two figures floating down from the sky. When they landed, it was obvious they were her children. They looked exactly like smaller versions of Goku and Vegeta.

"Something wrong, boys?" Tapion asked.

"Yeah. Raye won't play with us anymore," Goku muttered as his hair went from blonde to its natural black.

"She's still upset about Mama," Vegeta agreed, powering down himself. "Raye thinks it's her fault."

"Why is that?"

"Well, Raye was always a few steps behind us in training," Vegeta explained. "She was the only one that couldn't go Super Saiyan, so Papa just taught her Kao-Ken instead."

"And when Cell & Frieza came back, Mama & Papa took us with them to fight, cuz they didn't think we'd be safe alone," Goku added. "Mama said they had the power to steal souls this time. Anyway, Frieza was chasing Raye, and she was up to Kao-Ken times fifty-something, but she couldn't outrun him. So she did the only thing she could do."

"What?" Tapion asked.

"She screamed for Mama," Vegeta replied. "Cell had knocked Papa out, and he was keeping Goku and me busy. Mama was helping, but when she heard Raye, she went to save her."

"Frieza saw her coming, though," Goku said, looking sad for a long moment.

Vegeta clapped his brother on the shoulder, something Tapion took for a hug.

"So Raye blames herself for your mother's death. What happened to Cell & Frieza?"

"We happened to Cell," Goku answered, grinning. "He didn't know about our Double Kaboom."

Tapion raised an eyebrow. "Double Kaboom?"

"Kamehameha Wave and Final Flash all at once," Vegeta explained. "Plus some Kao-Ken for good measure."

"And Frieza?"

"Raye got him. When Frieza killed Mama, Raye went berserk. She turned into this little fireball and just started smacking him around. Then she did that really cool fire-eater routine."

"Fire-eater?" Tapion asked. "What's that?"

"Well, she spit up this HUGE fireball, and Frieza got sucked into it. Then she swallowed the fireball. I guess he was still in it."

Tapion blinked. "I...see."

"Anyway, after that, her power level went through the roof! She's even stronger than Vegeta and me now! Of course, we know more fighting stuff, but we can teach her."

"I think you'd better leave that to me," Tapion suggested. "I've had experience with grief-stricken half-Saiyans before."

* * * * *

She wasn't a Supreme Saiyan. At least, not at the moment. But the little girl could've easily passed for an above average Saiyan child.

Unlike her mother's, Raye's hair was a firey red. She had bright green eyes, and her face seemed to be set in a permanent frown. So I had to ask.

"She reminds you of Vegeta? Really?" Pan stared at me and then smirked. "Oh, don't worry about that. Raye's usually a very happy girl. But if she's blaming herself for what happened to me, I could understand why she's upset."

Tapion arrived a few seconds later, landing just behind Raye. "A penny for your thoughts, little one?"

"Go away, green guy," Raye muttered. "Just leave me alone."

"I can't do that, Raye. It wasn't your fault."

"Then why's Mommy dead?"

Tapion sighed. "Sometimes bad things happen to good people. It's just the way things are."

"It's still my fault," Raye muttered.

"No, it isn't. If you had fought Frieza all by yourself, he would've destroyed you. Do you really think your mother wanted that to happen?"

"I don't know. But I know she didn't want to die."

Tapion frowned. "Your mother was once just like you, Raye."

Raye stopped sulking and glanced at him. "What do you mean?"

"Did she ever mention your great-grandfather?"

"All the time. Why?"

"She used to blame herself for his death. For not being strong enough to do anything about it." Tapion placed a hand on her shoulder. "Do you know what she did about it?"

"What?" Raye asked quietly.

"She remembered," Tapion said simply.

Raye blinked. "Huh?"

"She remembered when Vegeta's heart almost failed him, and she thought she would have to take his place as a protector of the planet. She remembered when she alone had the power to save her teacher's life. And she remembered when he finally passed on to the next life. She turned her regret, her anger, and her sadness into power. You can do the same. I can show you how. All you have to do is let me teach you and your brothers the way of the warrior."

Raye thought for a long moment.

"Remember, little one. You and your brothers are all that remain of Earth's Special Forces. The planet will need protectors soon enough."

"Promise me something, green guy."

"What's that, Raye?"

"Promise me that I'll never be too weak to stop someone I love from dying again."

"There are only two ways I could promise you that, little one. I assume you don't want me to kill your brothers, so..." He smiled patted her shoulder. "We have a LOT of work to do."

Raye smiled a bit. "Well, maybe you can kill Goku..."

Tapion chuckled. "You know, Raye, in the world I come from, your father was the closest thing I had to a brother, after my own was killed. I swore on my sword-the very same I carry today-that if he ever died, I would watch over his children as if they were my own. Nothing-not evil, nor the barriers of time-kept me from that mission. Alas, such great determination often comes with great costs. I cannot return to my world. This is my home now, and you are my children. I will teach you everything I know, and perhaps you will show us a few things neither of us did."

Raye's eyes studied the sword on Tapion's back. "That looka like Daddy's."

Tapion nodded. "It was, for a long time. He returned it to me upon his death. I'm supposed to teach you how to use it. Think you're up to it?"

Raye looked doubtful. "It looks heavy."

"By the time I'm done with you, little one, you'll think it was a toothpick."

* * * * *

Pan smiled down at me. "So? What do you think of my kids?"

"They're lucky," was all I could think to say.

"To be alive?"

"No. To have such a wonderful mother. Everyone doesn't get one."

Pan smirked. "Are you making a pass at me, Junai?"

"What?! NO! I just...I never had..."

"I was kidding, you know."

"Oh." I could feel myself turning red as we left the diner.

"Well, Dad & Trunks are probably still fighting. I'd say we have a few more hours before one of them gets tired."

"Really?" I asked in awe.

Pan nodded. "Yup. Daddy's not as young as he used to be."

"Speaking of which...Goku said you and Trunks were Vegeta's children..."

Pan giggled. "Grampa really said that? Well, it's only half-true, kinda. Trunks is Vegeta's son. But we both trained under him for years, and he treated me like a daughter."

"So...just how strong are you?" I asked, starting to get nervous.

"Well, the last time I checked, I could go head-to-head with Trunks, and once I even made Daddy break a sweat, but I don't think he was fighting at full power."

"So...will you fight in the arena?"

Pan shrugged. "Eventually. I imagine Vegeta will want to test me sooner or later. And I did want to fight Dad one more time, just to see how I measure up. Don't want them to get too lonely at the top."

* * * * *

I ended up spending the day with Pan. Of course, I knew where everything was and she didn't, so she made me her official tour guide and dragged me all over the place.

It was nearly midnight by the time we were done, but Pan assured me that Gohan & Trunks would still be going at it. And it wasn't hard to tell, either. Every few seconds, there would be a bright flash of light that streaked through the sky like a bolt of lightning, but then it would fade away.

I suggested (much to my own surprise) continuing our little tour some other time. Frankly, I was exhausted, and Pan just seemed to be getting her second wind...for the forty-seventh time that day. She reluctantly agreed, on the grounds that I'd have a lot of cleaning up to do once the fight ended...if it ever did. So after some debate, Pan announced that a true gentleman would walk her home, and that if I didn't, she would come to see me every single day and blow kisses from the crowd until either Vegeta or Trunks strangled me.

That was how I found myself at the steps of the palace, wondering if Pan tried to constantly embarrass me on purpose. I decided that she did.

Pan smiled down at me. "I had a great time today, Junai. We'll have to do it again very soon."

"Can you warn me next time?" I asked. "I need to get my legs strong first."

"Well, that just won't do. Looks like I'm gonna have to whip you into shape."

"Um...but I have duties to Brolly, and he-"

Pan waved a hand dismissively. "Brolly, Shmolly. My Grampa could kick his butt. As of now, you're my student. We start your training tomorrow. It's time you put that armor of yours to good use."

"But...Prince Vegeta won't like it..."

"So? He didn't like it when I first hugged him, but he adjusted. Besides, he can't say no to me. Never could, never will."

I swallowed noisily. "You DO remember how I said I was in love with you, right?"

Pan nodded. "Sure. I thought you'd jump at the chance to see me all sweaty. No, wait, you've already seen me naked."

"Can we not talk about this right now?!"

She giggled. "I like you, Junai. So, we start tomorrow, bright and early." Pan squatted and took my face in her hands. "Oh, and one more thing."

I nearly fainted when she touched me. "Y-Yes?"

Pan leaned forward and kissed my nose, both of my cheeks, and my forehead. "I'm going to do that every day until you stop turning into a cute lil' tomato." She stood up and patted me on the head. "Seeya, Junai." And with that, she was gone.

I stayed there several minutes before gathering the strength to move. Then I fell to my knees, raised my hands to the sky, and silently thanked the gods (and Gohan and Goku) for bringing an angel to life, and then into mine.


The End.