Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chances ❯ forgivness ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
“Oh, I wish I were in some fairytale land when a handsome Prince Charming would ride along on his white steed to sweep me off my feet!” Mrs Briefs said whimsically as she placed her finished book down on the coffee table.
“Humph.” Dr briefs raised an eyebrow and look at his day-dreaming wife over his paper.
“Oh don't worry darling, you will always be my Prince Charming!” she giggled to herself as she stood up and walked across the room, swishing her hips, to the bookcase where she deposited her latest completed read alongside the rest. She was about to say more when the sound of the kitchen door opening with a loud bang rippled thru the walls of the house.
“You! Old man! Infirmary! NOW!” a vice that neither of them had heard in about one year bellowed from the hallway as hurried steps could be heard heading toward the medical wing which held the Brief's own small medical facility,
“What in the world….?” Dr Briefs mumbled as he stood from his chair.
“Oooh! Good, that nice young man is back! Bulma will be so pleased!” Mrs Briefs giggled happily as she too rose from her seat and hurried into the hall to find Vegeta and give him a proper welcome. Dr Briefs however, had caught the aggravation in the voice of his Daughters `friend' and, dare he say it, concern.
The oddly matched couple hurried down the halls which Vegeta had run down moments before until they came to the medical wing. Door after door had been left swinging wide in the wake of the Saiyan's path, until he had arrived at the room in which he himself had been brought back from the brink of death when he had overdone his training. Dr and Mrs Briefs arrived in the room as Vegeta gently put Bulma down on the hospital bed. His sharp eyes shot up to meet those of Dr Briefs who hesitated only a moment before rushing to the side of his unconscious daughter.
“Injuries?” he asked quietly, knowing that he had to choose his words carefully around the touchy man, accusations would not sit well.
“She fell, hit her head.” Vegeta said quickly as he took a small step away to allow Dr. Briefs room to examine her.
“Come on now Vegeta, lets give her some room now. Would you like some cookies?” Mrs Briefs asked with her trademark smile spread wide across her face. She ushered the confused-looking Vegeta out of the room and back towards the kitchen.
`This woman cant be serious! Her daughter is lying in there unconscious and all she can think about is feeding me?' he thought to himself as he found himself sitting down in the kitchen chair. Mrs Briefs placed a plate piled high with different flavoured cookies, `then again, maybe she's the only one around here with her priorities straight' he thought with a slight smirk. However, it quickly faded, his mind would not seem to let him hold onto that idea that he needed every sentient creature in reality to bow at his feet. For some reason, that just didn't seem important anymore. With a heavy he picked up a chocolate chip cookie and nibble on the edge. He hadn't had a good meal in a long time but for some reason he could not fathom he just wasn't interested in food.
`In the space of a few years my life has been periodically flipped upside down and turned inside out! First Freeza, then Kakkarott, then the androids…and now Bulma. It has got to be this planet! Its making me go soft! Why didn't I just kill that weakling son of a bitch?' Vegeta's thoughts wandered as he sat in the quiet kitchen, he hadn't even noticed when Mrs Briefs left the room to attend to other chores.
 
Vegeta had become engulfed in his thoughts and had failed to notice the passage of time until Dr. Briefs entered the kitchen and stood in the doorway. The pair made eye contact for a moment until Dr Briefs nodded slightly then turned to leave. After a few moments Vegeta stood and made his way back to the medical room.
As he closed the door slowly behind him he breathed a sigh which could have been described as relief, but since there was no one around to see, it mattered little. Bulma was sleeping peacefully on the bed, the covers moving slightly as she breathed. Satisfied that the lack of health-monitoring machinery normally found around injured patients meant she was going to be fine, he made his way to her side.
He reached out slowly and twisted a lock of her blue hair, gently in his fingers. The back of his hand trailing lightly down her cheek. This was all his fault. She had wanted to stop him, to protect the weakling. She had also allowed herself to become pregnant with his child.
His eyes shut tightly as he attempted to banish that last thought from his ever tormented mind. It seemed he was never to have peace even within his own body! He had spent a year waging a war within himself over his own `feelings' only to find that she had allowed another to touch her! He forced down the volcano of rage which threatened to explode within him once again. He focused on controlling his breathing to the extent of near meditation, so much so that he failed to notice the slightly surprised pair of blue eyes gazing up at him.
“V-Vegeta?” she asked in a whisper, almost afraid to break his concentration. His eyes snapped open immediately and he gasped slightly before holding his breath as he looked down at the woman on the bed below him.
“Bulma. I-“ he began to say something but cut himself off before the sentence could form fully. A small smile pulled at the corners of Bulma's lips at the sound of her name falling from Vegeta's lips so easily. The smile faded however when she saw the pain, regret and loss hidden in his eyes. She reached up gingerly with one hand and cupped her palm against his cheek. His eyes drifted closed for a moment as he unconsciously leaned into her hand.
“I'm so sorry! You have to believe me Vegeta. I know how you must hate me now.” She pulled her hand away as she blinked the tears out of her eyes, “you have every rite to be, I know that I will only deserve it if you decide to leave. I'm not going to try and make any excuses, and I wont stop you. After all, whining about it is only going to show how weak I am isn't it?”
“Woman. Why change the habit of a lifetime?”
“I-I I just want you to know. I do love you! I love you with everything I have! And… I guess it took loosing you to realise that.” She wanted to say more, needed to get everything her heart wanted her to but her breath caught in her throat, causing her to choke on her words.
“Loosing me? I came back didn't I?”
“I always knew you would come back here when you were ready, I don't mean that,” she paused to catch her breath, suppress the sobs threatening to take her over completely, “but I think I have lost you, I can see it in your eyes. I lost you as soon as I - as soon as I slept - w-with Y-Y-Yamcha.” She forced the words out of her throat with a harsh sob as she turned her face away from him, tears soaking the pillow beneath her head.
“I should leave, after what you have done.” He said as he turned his back on her with a tired sigh, “you must truly be some type of sorceress, tell me, when was it that you found time and opportunity to put a curse on me?” she blinked once and frowned up at his back, “you must have used some form of curse in order to have such a hold over me, woman.” He turned back to her, looking deep into her eyes, “when I was away you were the only thing which entered my mind, aside from food of course.”
“Of course.”
“Yet despite my desire to leave this god forsaken mud ball you and your pathetic race call home, it is nothing compared to my desire to have you… as my Queen.” His voice slipped down to a husky whisper, “if you shall have me.”
“But-I c-cheated on you! How could you ever trust me again Vegeta? I know I wouldn't if I were in your place.”
“True, you were disloyal to me. But wandering thoughts and emotions seem to run high amongst humans. Especially in the absence of a life-mate which you would call a husband.” That damned smirk which always sent a shiver up her spine spread across his lips, “I guess ill just have to make sure that you never allow your thoughts to wander ever again.” He breathed as he leaned down towards her, their noses almost touching.
“You mean… Vegeta. Will you forgive me? I'm promising you in truth that as long as I live and into the after life beyond, I shall never take another man besides you to my bed.” Her tears were still falling down her cheeks and he scowled at them as if that look alone would stop them from falling. He raised one gloved finger to her cheek capturing a single tear whilst on its course to the pillow.
“Of course I would, woman.”
“Just one question Vegeta.” She paused as if waiting for him to protest, “why do you always wear those gloves?”
Her question was unexpected and seemed to appar at an odd time, however he decided to humor her. Just this once.
“Because, if I didn't I would never have been able to touch you in the first place. I would not taint your skin with mine had it been soaked in the blood of those who were my victims.” His eyes grew distant, reliving all the times he had sent screaming women, just like the one that lay before him, to their deaths. The barely shielded pain in his eyes was almost enough to cause her to break down in tears and hold him, never to let go. With this thought she shuddered slightly trying not to think too deeply about his past.
“If you can forgive me my `human weaknesses', I can forgive you the insanity of your youth, Vegeta.” She spoke softly as she held his face in her hands forcing him to look deep into her eyes. An instant later, their lips met in the passionate symbol of their forgiveness and patience for one another, and quite possibly, as a token of their undying love, weather it was shown openly or hidden away in the darkest corners of the soul. The only thing that mattered to either of them, was that it was there.
 
 
/*-/*-/*-/*-/*-/*-/*-/*-/*-/*-/*-/*-/*-/*-/*-
 
A/N: well, there you go. I originally wrote this as a one-shot but it turned out to be way too long so I split it up.
 
I have ended this here (and it will remain the end on FF.net) but I may sometime write an extra chapter….with a little more….stuff…in it. ~_^
 
A sequel is on the way.