Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Shades of Darkness ❯ Until the Last Moment ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Shades of Darkness
Part 7
Until the Last Moment

Disclaimer: crosses arms and sighs We've been through this a billion times. Must I repeat it again? I don't own DBZ.

Firegirl: Goku is sticking with his Siaya-Jin name, that was just a typo. I'll fix it eventually.
Tabi Chan: gives evil smirk It's just so fun to torture all my loyal fans by writing cliffies tho! Mwahahaha! lol
Chocolate-watermelon: Not a bit! I hope it works out! Just make sure to give me credit! (Advertising gets me reviews. ) Good Luck!

ENJOY!

He gasped as Earth's air began to tease his lungs and chirping bird invaded his senses. One particular scent made his nose twitch. Groggily his eyes fluttered open and he stared up into his mate's worried face. Her eyes filled with tears. "Kakarotto!" She cried, and flung herself bodily at him. He caught her in a gentle, warm hug and held her close, then pulled away to an arm's length. Their eyes met and he caught her lips in a passionate kiss.

A sudden cough grabbed the pair's attention and the two began to blush. "Gomen, Bulma, Zarbon, everyone..." Chichi trailed off.

"And not a single greeting for me? What kind of son did I raise?" Aria threw her hands into the air.

"Oops...sorry Okassama." Kakarotto blushed and hugged her, giving her a respectful peck in the cheek. "I...lost track of things..."

She raised an eyebrow and looked knowingly at Chichi. "So I saw."

Kakarotto went bright red.

Kakarotto stared out the window of the air car with a look of longing crossing his features. He wanted to see his son, and everyone else. Chichi was curled contentedly by his side, half asleep. She smiled up at him and sighed. Kakarotto gave his mate a soft smile and put his arm around her to nuzzle her hair gently. It was good to be home.

"We're here." The call seemed to be an eternity later, though in reality it had only been about ten minutes.

Kakarotto lifted Chichi into his arms and ran off the plane. "You guys! You guys, I'm back!" He yelled, setting Chichi down quickly. "Gohan! Where are you? Gohan!"

"Papa!" The boy squealed. "Papa! You came back! Papa's back!" Gohan leapt into his father's arms, and wrapped both arms around the Saiya-Jin warrior's neck in a hug.

"Have you been training, Chibi Hakari?" He asked, noting his son's grip.

"Yup! Ojiisan, Ojisan Radditz, Ojisan Vegita, and Piccolo trained me." He explained. "So I would be ready when you came home! They said you'd be proud of me!"

"I am, I am!" Kakarotto laughed. "I'll always be proud of you, my son."

"Now, papa, we have to get ready for the bad men." Gohan nodded solemnly.

"I need to rest, Gohan. Being resurrected is hard work. I haven't actually slept in nearly...six months. I didn't get tired there, but I feel it now." Kakarotto yawned. "We'll have to start in the morning. I'm so tired that I'm fatally distracted. Finish today with the others and we'll start tomorrow. How's that?"

"Okay, Papa. If you say so. You going to bed?"

"After he gets a shower." Chichi broke in.

"I don't stink!" Kakarotto protested, crossing his arms.

"You've just come back from the dead, Son Kakarotto. You haven't bathed in nearly a year, and, let me assure you, we can all smell it." She barked.

"Fine, fine. But you'll have to come with me to keep me from drowning." There was nothing insinuated. He was serious.

"Go. I'll be right in." She shooed him away and turned to Bulma, rolling her eyes. "He's such a baby. If he didn't look ready to drop, in all truth, I would have kicked his ass."

"Don't we all know it? Where did the kids go? They better have their lessons done!" Bulma put her hands on her hips. "One hour, that's all we ask. Is that too much?"

Chichi laughed. "I'll leave you to deal with it today. I want to get reacquainted with my mate."

"Fine. But ONLY today." She scowled.

"Okay, okay. Just Today. Promise." Chichi raised a hand and Bulma nodded.

"Deal."

"You've gotten a lot better, Gohan!" Kakarotto applauded while sparring with his son. "I'm very impressed!"

"Papa? Would you tell me something?" Gohan looked down, pausing for a moment at his father's nod.

"I want to know why we got to be slaves." The boy admitted, hanging his head. "Mama said to ask you and no one else will tell me."

"All right, I'll tell you about it later, after supper tonight. How's that?" Kakarotto asked, glancing in Vegita's direction.

"Okay, Papa." The child agreed as the two went back to their sparring match.

Mirai was asking his father the same thing, though neither oft he two knew it. The two had been conspiring this for a long time. Gohan would ask his father, and Mirai would ask Vegita and they'd get some kind of historic account.

The two had different reasons, of course. Gohan wanted to know what made his Papa so different from the humans, why the humans could kill his father and not have anything bad happen when he couldn't kill them and have the same results. Mirai, on the other hand, wanted to know how his father was brought here against his will and kept. It sounded a lot like kidnapping but wasn't that not right? Against the law? Neither expected the answer they got.

Gohan and Mirai nodded to each other and went quitly into the living room to wait for their fathers' arrival. "I hope they tell us more about his. Kassan wouldn't tell me anything when I asked." Gohan complained.

"I know. It doesn't make any sense to me either." Mirai admitted. "Or why they want us to study so much."

The two were smart. Gohan had gotten Bardock's genius (Kakarotto had ended up with his mother's, so they thought) and Mirai had his mother's genius. They were probably the smartest children in the world. Bulma had checked their IQ's and found them well above average.

"I can handle it. Mama said there would be too much gore." Mirai rolled his eyes. "I don't even know how old papa was when he was first brought here."

"Me neither." Gohan pouted.

"So that what this is all about." Vegita said. He and Kakarotto had both heard the last part of the conversation. "I can't say I blame you, I would be curious too, but that's no excuse to drill us about it."

"You always tell me to ask lots of questions." Mirai crossed his arms over his chest.

"I'm sorry, brat. But you know I don't like to talk about this." Vegita shifted uncomfortably.

"Well, mama won't tell us either." Gohan pointed out. "They both say to ask you and Papa."

Vegita rolled his eyes and sat down heavily. "Fine. We'll tell you a little. What do you want to know?"

"How did we get captured first, papa? Aren't Saiya-Jins the strongest race in the universe?"

"Hai. But there was a traitor alien that we took in who betrayed us. Freeza. He taught us universal, helped us with our ships, then sold us out to the slave traders." Vegita was bitter. "I was...eleven?"

"Hai. Because I was ten and you're a year my senior." Kakarotto nodded.

"Right. They killed my mother...and my father..." Vegita trailed off, his eyes taking on a far away look as he absently grasped the medallion hanging about his neck. "He died with honor, pride. A warrior's death. And Radditz saved me."

"You and papa and Ojisan Radditz are like brothers, right, Ojisan Vegita?" Gohan asked without blinking.

"Hai. That's why. We went through so much together and we understand each other. It was just...chance we met each other again. I'm glad too."

Kakarotto nodded. "I am as well."

"But how did they capture the Saiya-Jins? Why didn't you all just go Oozaru?"

"The collars." Kakarotto spat bitterly. "We couldn't. The collars control our power and our transformations."

"I have to get mine tomorrow." Gohan looked to the ground. "Will it hurt?"

"Tomorrow?" Kakarotto gasped.

"I'm almost six. They do it all at once, remember?"

"Mirai gets his too?"

"Yes, I do." Mirai sniffed. "With Gohan."

"I know...I just so hoped that it would change...I just hoped that it would be different." Kakarotto sighed, and almost ran from the room.

"Go to bed, gaki. Both of you."

"Hai, Otousan." Mirai drug Gohan from the room and sighed. That had not gone as planned.

Kakarotto eyed the man on the platform with distaste. They had to go to the auction block to get the collars for Gohan and Mirai put on. It was the same man that had put it on him a second time, all those years ago. His eyes grew sad and he sighed. He desperately wished things were different. It almost made his think that the revolution had the right of things after all, but in order to dissuade that thought, he merely had to remind himself that they mean tot kill all the humans. Which included his mate.

Gohan walked slowly up to the platform ahead of Mirai. He wasn't going to let his best friend go first. The young child looked up at the man with innocent black eyes. The slaver turned toward Kakarotto. "Selling? I'm sure this little fellow would fetch a high price."

"Iie, I most certainly am not." Was Kakarotto's angry reply. "I am here to get the collar you forced upon my son."

"A freed slave, eh? Not to many of you hanging around. Why isn't the brat in chains?" He snapped at the guards. "Don't you know slaves are dangerous?"

"I'm FIVE." Gohan rolled his eyes.

"Don't you give me any lip!" The man snapped, punching the child across the face. Gohan bit his lip but didn't say a word.

The man lifted a heavy metal collar, the kind used only on Saiya-Jin, marking them as dangerous beings. Most of the Collars were lighter and smaller, looking more like a dog collar. Saiya-Jins had collars made of a heavy iron-like metal and looked more like they belonged on a prison chain. He snapped the collar on Gohan's neck and smirked.

"Hope you enjoy it, gaki." He sneered, setting it to the typical Saiya-Jin setting. Gohan, not used to the small amount of energy he was allowed to have collapsed to the ground, head spinning.

Kakarotto raced towards his son. Two men grabbed his arms and forced him back. "You know the law." The men snapped, crossing their arms. "No slaves may help other slaves without permission."

"I'm a FREED slave, you morons." Kakarotto grated. "Now let me go."

The two men dropped him and stepped back. "Of course." They laughed. Kakarotto bared his teeth in rage, using all his self control not to kill them.

Before anymore could be said, he lifted hi son gently in his arms and stepped back into line with Vegita. Hesitantly, Mirai stepped up to the man. A collar was placed around his neck as well and the setting placed at the same level. The boy collapsed to his knees, fighting to remain conscience before losing the fight and falling limply to the ground. Vegita, a look that promised death to any who harmed his son, lifted him in his arms and the two Saiya-Jins walked slowly away.

"Remind me why I want to save this planet again, Kakarotto." Vegita hissed to his friend.

"Your mate." Was the reply. Vegita blinked at the strained tone it was said in. Kakarotto obviously wanted to blast them to other world as well.

Months passed and the training grew harder, longer hours put in. They would be facing an army alone, with no help. No one wanted to believe that slaves were strong enough or smart enough to start a revolution. That left the earth's fate up to them.

It was nearly time. It had been almost two years since the warning came. The war would soon begin. The Earth's fate would soon be decided.

And it all rested on two humans and some freed slaves.

(A/N) Okay, so I took a little longer than planned. Luckily for you all, this chapter was mostly written. I had to finish and tweak otherwise you poor people would be stuck with some crap to try and defeat my writer's block. sighs well, can't win them all!
Anyway, Hope you like! Review, PLEASE! I need an ego boost. ;