Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Sing For The Moment ❯ The End of The Road ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Author's Note Pt. 1: Hello :) Although I told myself that I wasn't going to start this until after I finish at least one of my stories in progress, here I am with a new fic. For the longest, I wanted to write a fic like this. I hope you all like it, and please review and let me know what you think, if it gets no response, then I'll assume no one's interested, and I might take it down. Anyhoo, enjoy!

Oh! And there will be a little OOC in this fic, so get prepared.

Disclaimer: I don't own DBZ or Aaliyah's "The one I gave my heart too." I just borrowed it and I thank you for singing such beautiful music. You're still here in spirit.
Sing For The Moment - The End of the Road


She was the hottest singer in the world. Her album was multi-platinum. She had millions of fans and admirers. She was currently on a nationwide tour and tonight was the most important performance of her singing career. Tonight's live concert would be televised for the entire world to see. Bulma Briefs was at the highest point of her life and her career. She should have been ecstatic, but instead she was miserable.

She sat in her dressing room at a vanity table with her head buried in her folded arms. Her hair was spilled all over. Bulma kicked everyone out of her room, journalists, reporters, even her bodyguard. She sat in complete silence. She needed to clear her head. This night would have been more bearable if she had the love of her life by her side, but they broke up a month ago and she's been miserable ever since.

His name was Yaumcha. He was her manager and they were dating for two years. Their relationship was very public and the media followed their every move. During the last six months of their relationship, they spent less time together. Yaumcha told her that he picked up a few new clients, and although she didn't like it, she understood. A week before her 21st birthday, she heard talk that Yaumcha might ask her to marry her. She hid her excitement from him because she wasn't supposed to know. On her birthday, Yaumcha took her out to a very classy restaurant. The night went by so slowly. The whole day she was practicing how she was going to say 'yes' to his proposal. He was quiet all during dinner and looked a bit nervous, but she thought it was cute. Finally he spoke. He grabbed her hand from across the table and told her how much he loved her. Bulma was beaming with excitement, and then the unthinkable happened. He broke up with her. She was speechless. She didn't understand...she was crushed.

Bulma left immediately. Yaumcha called her the next day and said that he just needed some space, whatever the hell that meant. He also told her that they shouldn't say anything to the press about this until after her tour, to prevent unneeded drama. She agreed because she didn't want to deal with it. She had a feeling that their break-up wasn't because of his space issue. It was because of another woman. One of his newest clients was a beautiful and upcoming singer. She was okay, but she wasn't Bulma. She and him were taking racy photos together and he sweared they were just publicity shots, but she wasn't stupid, she knew better. It was disgusting. Leah, or 'dumb chick' as the media and Bulma called her for her public displays of being clueless was barely 18 and Yaumcha was 25. He loved younger women and he was a complete asshole. Ever since their breakup, he'd totally abandoned her and her tour. Goku, her executive producer and her best friend took over the manager position.

She was thinking too much about this. She was hurting and needed to express herself. As soon as they broke up, she started to write songs, it was the best way she knew how to express herself and her feelings. She poured her heart and soul into one particular song. Goku read the lyrics and he loved it. They put it to music and she was going to perform it as her last song of the night. She needed some sort of closure.

She was trying to be strong. She told herself that she wouldn't cry, besides if she did, she would ruin her perfect makeup. She heard a knock at the door and then the doorknob turned.

"Bulma?" she recognized the voice as Goku's and began to weep.

So much for her perfect makeup.

"Bulma," Goku said as he walked over to her. "It's almost performance time. Please don't cry."

She raised her head, sniffed, then looked up at him. He was giving her a comforting grin and held out a Kleenex. She took it from him.

"Don't let the crowd see you upset. I know that this is your first performance since..." He didn't want to bring up his name. "...But they know nothing, remember? So just act it out for tonight."

Bulma blotted her eyes and lightly dabbed her cheeks. She didn't mess her up her make-up too much. She stared blankly in the mirror. Goku was standing directly behind her, watching her. "This is my last performance."

"I know, this is your last tour stop for six months and then..."

"I mean for good. I'm stopping the tour tonight." She cut him off.

"This caught him off guard. "What? Surely you're not serious, Bulma."

"I'm totally serious." Bulma said as she fixed her long blue wavy hair and stood up to face him. "Look, I've been living in hell for the past month and besides I'm burnt out. I need some time to myself. I need a break."

Goku looked confused, then smiled and hugged his friend. She deserved to be happy and that bastard took it all away. He sighed and gave in. "You know I'll be with you wherever you go. So, when are you going to announce this break of yours?"

"After the show. I'm sure at least one journalist will try and interview me."

"Or all of them." Goku laughed and Bulma smiled. He always made her feel better. Then the door opened again.

"Ready?" A cool, hard, feminine voice said. The woman stood in the doorway and tucked some stray blonde hair behind her ear. . She was wearing black shades, a black tank top, and black pants. She looked like she was fresh out of a mission impossible movie.

"Yeah, 18." Bulma said to her bodyguard. Goku grabbed some things for Bulma, then they all walked out the door.

It was 8:00 p.m. Chi-Chi drove home angry. She was forced to stay at work for an extra hour and a half to straighten all the clothes in the store she worked in named 'Pizzazz!'. It was such a corny name. A corny name for a corny store with a dumbass corny manager. Chi-Chi hated her job, but she had to work. She was a 21-year-old college student at Orange Star University. She transferred there this year from a community college back in her hometown. She didn't receive a scholarship, so she had to pay for everything. She stayed with her 24-year-old cousin; Vegeta who owned a very successful chain of motorcycle shops around the city. He helped her when she needed it and he let her stay with him rent-free. He was bitchy though, and rude and full of himself...the list goes on and on, but who was she to complain. She just hated having to deal with these attitudes 24/7 between work and home. Chi-Chi pulled into their driveway and ran inside. Vegeta was sitting on the couch wearing a t-shirt and jeans. He was watching some sort of motorcycle program, his favorite kind of show. He was really into the whole 'fast and furious' thing. Chi-Chi said a quick hello, snatched the remote from Vegeta, lay on the floor and starting changing channels.

"Hey, what the hell? I was watching that!"

Chi-Chi didn't care. Tonight was the premier of Bulma's concert and she missed half of it already thanks to her boss. While searching for the channel, their door opened and a short, bald man walked in sporting a smile.

"Hey." He said

"Dammit, don't you ever knock?" Vegeta said furiously.

"I would, but you wouldn't open the door."

"Hey Krillin," Chi-Chi said, still trying to find the channel. Krillin was their next-door neighbor and her only friend. "Do you know what channel Bulma's concert is on?"

"HBO I think. They host most live performance shows."

"Ah!" Chi-Chi smiled. Krillin was right. Chi-Chi loved Bulma's music. She had her CD and everything. She read about her in many articles in magazines and she seemed so down to earth and humble, like a person who was not famous. She wished she could have her personality. Chi-Chi was a little shy. She had been living in Satan City for almost a year and had no friends besides Krillin. People were so funny acting sometimes. Krillin sat down next to her.

"I didn't know you liked Bulma." Krillin said and Chi-Chi nodded. "She looks like she is so cool."

"I know, right?"

Vegeta couldn't take it. The television just showed images of a screaming crowd, and Chi-Chi and Krillin was making small talk on his floor. It was pitiful. He stood up.

"This is stupid. I'm going to my room. Hopefully I haven't that much of my show."

Chi-Chi looked up at him. "You don't like Bulma?"

"Who?"

"Bulma."

"Never heard of her. Who is she?"

"Only the most famous singer in the world." Krillin said.

"Where there you go. I don't listen to all that lovey dovey singing shit."

"I bet if you heard her, you'd like her." Chi-Chi continued.

"Whatever." Vegeta said and walked to the kitchen to get a coke.

Chi-Chi and Krillin's eyes were glued to the screen when the cameras went back to Bulma.

"She looks so pretty!" Chi-Chi exclaimed loudly. Krillin nodded.

"But have you seen her bodyguard? Whoo! She's a beauty."

Chi-Chi smiled. For the time that she'd know Krillin, he'd always had a thing for blondes.

Vegeta came back into the room in passing, but stopped at the sight on the TV. The singer, Bulma as Chi-Chi called her, was dancing on stage wearing a short black dress and high heels. Her hair was blue, an unusual but fitting color that hung to the middle of her back. He sat back down on the couch and Chi-Chi turned and smiled in triumph.

"I knew you liked her."

"Oh shut up. I'm just not going to let you two run me out of my own living room."

"Um hm." Chi-Chi said, turning her attention back to the TV.

"This is the last song of the night." Bulma's voice from the t.v. projected across the room as Krillin grabbed the remote and turned up the volume a notch.

"Damn, I hate my fucking manager. I damn near missed the whole show!"

"But you know these things repeat all throughout the week, right?"

"Oh," Chi-Chi said. She didn't watch much TV. She always had her head in her books. "Still, I wanted to see it tonight. I heard she's such a good performer. Her boyfriend is cute too."

"Yaumcha, her manager?" Chi-Chi nodded. "I heard they broke up." Krillin continued.

"No." Chi-Chi said. "Where did you hear that?"

"At my job. All the women do is talk about celebrity gossip."

"I don't believe that. I haven't seen it in any magazines."

"Well, I don't know. Its just gossip. But you have to admit; she has been pretty lonely looking in her latest photos. She's never taken a picture alone since they started dating. Then she started showing up at important events alone."

Chi-Chi nodded in agreement, then focused back on the television screen as Bulma began to sing. Her voice was so beautiful.

"How Could The One I Gave My Heart To, Break My Heart So Bad?
How Could The One Who Made Me Happy, Make Me Feel So Sad?
Won't Somebody Tell Me? So I Can Understand.
If You Love Me, How Could You Hurt Me Like That?
How Could The One I Gave My World To, Throw My World Away?
How Could The One Who Said I Love You, Say The Things You Say?
How Could The One I Was So True To, Just Tell Me Lies?
How Could The One I Gave My Heart To, Break This Heart Of Mine?

Tell Me........"

Chi-Chi was really into the song. It was so unlike Bulma's regular uptempo songs, but she seemed to be really singing this from her heart. It almost sounded like she was heartbroken, and Chi-Chi felt it. Chi-Chi broke up with her boyfriend because he didn't believe in long distance relationships. It also didn't help that he had another girl on the side. When she found out, she was devastated, but studied non-stop to ignore the pain. Her attention went back to the song.

"How Could You Be So Cold To Me? When I Gave You Everything.
All My Love, All I Had Inside.
How Could you Just Walk Out The Door?
How Could You Not Love Me Anymore?
I Thought We Had Forever.

I Cant Understand.

How Could The One I Shared My Dreams With, Take My Dreams From me?
How Could The Love That Brought Such Pleasure, Bring Such Misery?
Wont Somebody Tell Me? Somebody Tell Me Please.
If You Love Me, How Could You Do That To Me?

Tell Me........"

Chi-Chi was in awe. The lyrics were so...real. It was then when she noticed that Bulma crying. Maybe the rumors were true. No, she thought. She just felt her song. Kind of like herself because now, thinking about her no good ex, began to cry a little.

Vegeta rolled his eyes at the sap in the room, but never left his seat. She was beautiful. He'd never seen such a beautiful woman. Maybe it was just TV enhanced beauty, but it didn't matter. He didn't notice her tears, but he did notice her sad, beautiful blue eyes. She was probably the wet dream of almost every man everywhere.
And now he was hooked.
Author's Note pt.2: Ok, so what do you think? Should I continue, or take it down? Do you like it? Well if you do, just leave it in a review :) And if you want to be on my mailing list, then leave your e-mail address in a review.

Ja! For now...