Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Taking Chances and Leaps of Faith ❯ In Which There is Shopping and Dancing ( Chapter 12 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The next morning, Trunks awoke to see sunlight streaming through his windows. That was odd. Normally he was awake long before the sun had risen. What had happened…. oh yes now he remembered. He'd had a late night sojourn with their strange guests. Trunks had set out to unravel the mystery behind the aliens and had only made himself more confused.

Remembering everything he'd said last night, Trunks banged his head softly against his hands. He was such an idiot! How much more corny could he get. `Will you teach me…' Ugh, I am so disappointed in myself, Trunks thought while he scrambled out of bed.

Rummaging through his closet, Trunks grabbed some random clothes and headed for his shower. Setting the water temperature to scalding, Trunks shook off his silk pants and stepped into the shower. Wincing slightly, Trunks raised his ki slightly to adjust to the heat.

Scrubbing his long hair, Trunks decided he probably should get a haircut. It really was beginning to become unmanageable. Rinsing the suds from his hair and body, Trunks' thoughts drifted back to last night…. and Cira. He'd acted like a child; she would probably never want to speak to him again. Oh, and the grass incident? Trunks once again banged his head against his hands. So stupid! Where was the suave, debonair Trunks that wooed the ladies with sweet words? Gone, gone with one freaking look!

Sighing, he remembered her eyes; those two beautiful orbs had been his downfall. They had held a wealth of intelligence, emotion, and he wanted more. He wanted to find out what went on inside that head of hers. He wanted to see what made her tick. He wanted…. he was a blooming idiot!

Shutting off the shower, Trunks stepped into the steamy mess that was his bathroom and fumbled for a towel. He swiftly dried his hair and body. Setting the towel on the counter, Trunks started to put on his clothes. He paused, glancing down at the pink shirt and khaki cargo pants. What the hell? He wasn't wearing pink! In fact, Trunks looked the shirt over suspiciously, this looked a lot like the shirt Vegeta had worn when they'd first met.

Slightly disgusted, Trunks opened the door to leave and then stopped. While it was highly unlikely that anyone would be in his room, in a house that was suddenly so full of guests, he wasn't going to take that chance. Wrapping the towel around this waist, Trunks ambled out of the bathroom and to his closet, still clutching the pink shirt.

**************************************************************** ********

Bulma had said this was his room and to just go ahead and walk in if he didn't answer the knock. He was probably still lying about, sleeping, Bulma had muttered. Cira couldn't argue with that, they'd both been up late last night.

Remembering her return to her room, Cira blushed. She could not believe how she'd acted last night. Suddenly she'd become a bona fide mystic? Giving him advice on whether he could be brought back to life? She was an imbecile! What had happened last night to make her so flustered?

It was that stupid dream! Just because she dreamed of someone with lavender hair, now every person with lavender hair was the man in her dream! Well, granted she'd only met one man with lavender hair…. and how coincidental was that? Maybe she just really wanted Trunks to be that lavender haired man.

Ugh, she barely knew the guy! All she really knew about him was that he was from the future and he'd died before. Yes, that was definitely the information she needed if she was to decide their future.

Ah! Now they had a future! `I have got to get a grip on myself,' Cira thought to herself. `I am a Princess of Elrondia and I don't have to take this!'

Tentatively she knocked on his door. She waited a few moments, but he didn't answer. Quietly she opened the door and slipped inside. His bed was empty, the covers and sheets rumpled from where he'd slept. Glancing at the bathroom door, she saw it was slightly ajar and steam was seeping out.

Taking a shower, or finished, since the water wasn't running. Well, that was her cue to exit…. her thoughts trailed off into the unknown when she saw Trunks coming out of his closet, towel dangerously low on his hips.

Gulping, Cira tried to avert her eyes, but they were not following commands. He hadn't noticed her yet, preoccupied with the shirt in his hands. Sighing to herself, Cira wondered how a man could be so handsome. His hair was damp and hung down past his shoulders, curling slightly upwards at the ends. Muscles rippled underneath his skin as he moved and the towel swayed hazardously. Cira felt herself blush as she silently hoped it would just fall…. sensing the direction of her thoughts, Cira forced her eyes to a corner and cleared her throat loudly.

Trunks jumped, instinctively grabbing his towel. Gulping, Trunks looked at the object of his thoughts in the flesh. Not literally of course, but…. er, she looked different today. Cira had changed into the Chikyuu clothes her mother had made and they were certainly odd.

Cira seemed so out of place in the ankle length skirt of pale brown and stark white blouse. She was staring determinedly at a corner, and Trunks knew his state of undress unnerved her. For some reason he felt a taste of pleasure at the thought.

"Sorry," he finally rumbled, "Let me go change."

"Yes, that would be rather appropriate," Cira, agreed.

Trunks changed into his cargo pants and black silk shirt, leaving several of the top buttons undone. He quickly pulled his hair back out of his face, a few strands falling free, touching right below his jaw line. Satisfied with his appearance, Trunks exited the bathroom, shutting the door behind him.

Cira's eyes widened and she swallowed hard. What was wrong with her? It was this ridiculous outfit she wore. Oh, she felt so out of place next to him as they walked down the hall together. It was not a normal feeling for her. Cira had always looked her best, no matter the occasion. Now, she felt like a frump.

The two entered the dining room to see all the guests from last night. Cira glared at her brother who looked stunning in his silk pants and shirt. He smirked back sending her the `I did my homework' look. Growling, Cira plopped down next to Videl who had come over for breakfast.

"That's a……uh, interesting outfit, Cira. Very……um, you," Videl offered kindly.

"It's terrible," Cira muttered to her. "My mother said she knew the latest fashions."

"Well, it was fashionable, a long time ago. Look, you can borrow something of mine and then I'll take you shopping today, okay? The people here think my father's a hero, so I can get us in to some high class stores, and with Bulma's credit card…. well, we can have some fun."

Cira smiled gratefully at Videl. "Thank you, Videl. That is most kind of you."

"What are you two mumbling about over there?" Gohan asked, while shoveling down the food Bulma's robots had made.

"Shopping," Videl replied, "And don't talk with your mouth open, chew for Kami's sake!"

Gohan paused, momentarily, noticing just how much Videl looked like his mother at that moment. Suddenly feeling nauseous, Gohan put his fork down.

"You never seemed the type to go shopping, Videl," Bulma interjected, "Why the sudden expedition?"

"I just wanted a few things, plus, I want to take Cira sight seeing."

"Wonderful," Bulma exclaimed, "I need a few things myself, but I don't have the time between taking care of Vegeta and Capsule Corps. Do you think you could pick them up for me?"

Videl nodded and Bulma went to get her list. Vegeta sat at his end of the table, grumbling at his mate. "I do not need taking care of! I can take care of myself!"

"Are you coming with us, Gohan? We could use the help, a guy's opinion, you know."

A little boy next to Gohan, who was Bulma's present son, Trunks, muttered, "Have you seen his Saiya man costume? You want to take-"

His piping voice was cut off as Gohan slapped his hand over his mouth. "That's supposed to be a secret identity, Trunks, remember?" Gohan hissed.

Gohan released Trunks and grinned at the confused Cira and then Lucca. "Silly kids, huh, don't know when to be quiet!"

Videl merely laughed into her food. Gaining control of herself, she repeated her earlier question.

"Sure," Gohan said. He really didn't want to go shopping, but a few hours in Videl's company was well worth the pain.

"Fine then, that leaves me and the boy," Vegeta gestured to the older Trunks, "Some training time."

"Ah, actually, Vegeta," Trunks mumble, "I think I am going to go with Gohan."

Vegeta growled dangerously at him, but his tirade was stopped before it began by Bulma. "You know, it's too bad Kitara had to leave before she could meet you and Lucca, Cira. Kitara, she's my sister, loves to shop and she has such good taste. Anyway, here's the list, it's not much," Bulma said, handing Videl the mile long list. "Here's my credit card, it doesn't have a limit so feel free to `have fun.'"

She shot her eyes over at Cira, who was busy flicking peas at little Trunks, who would eagerly flick them back. Videl nodded sneakily, pocketing the list and credit card.

"TRUNKS!" Bulma screeched, "STOP playing WITH your FOOD!"

Vegeta grabbed his son by the back of his shirt and lifted him out of his chair. "You know better then to play with food, extra training time for you."

"MOOOOOOM!" Little Trunks cried as he disappeared around the corner. Bulma seemed to have developed selective hearing, however, and did not respond.

"Why don't you kids get going; I'll have the bots clean this mess up."

The four disappeared quickly and Lucca also stood. "I believe I will check the perimeter, Bulma, if that is permissible?"

"Uh, sure, Lucca, go right on ahead. I'll be in my lab if you need me."

**************************************************************** ********

"Oh, yes, that is definitely you," Videl said softly as Cira modeled the formal. The dress was made of white silk and fell in gentle waves to pool about Cira's feet. Smiling vaguely, Cira lifted the skirt slightly and twirled, watching herself in the mirror.

"It is beautiful, but what would I use it for?"

"Oh, Bulma is always throwing parties. We definitely need to add this to the pile!" Videl eagerly gestured to the large quantity of clothes thrown over random chairs.

Cira bit her lip and said, "Do you think we've gone a little over? Bulma will be angry."

"No, she won't, she'll be delighted! Bulma loves to spend money, even if it isn't on her! Believe me, we're spending in Capsule Corps. name and the more we spend, the more people will think we have. Then they'll go out and buy Capsule products because they trust the company!"

Bewildered, Cira merely nodded and decided to take Videl's word. Videl looked over her shoulder and saw Trunks and Gohan returning from the electronic store across the street. Grabbing a random shirt, Videl thrust Cira back into the dressing room.

"Here, try this on!"

"Wh-okay!" Cira cried, shutting the dressing door behind her and changing into the gaudy fuchsia creation. Grimacing, she stuck her head out of the door and saw Trunks talking animatedly with Videl and Gohan.

"Psst…. Videl, come here, please," Cira demanded. Videl walked over and gagged when she saw the shirt.

"OH, good Kami, I think we're done here. We've got just about everything we need, and if we require more, we'll go shopping again."

Cira sighed. She did not like shopping. It was exhausting! "Here," Videl said, "I already paid for everything so you could change into something else. And, I talked Gohan and Trunks into taking us to dinner, so I sent them to the restaurant. We're going to play make over!"

Cira did not like the look on Videl's face. "Now I know why all my friends at school get so excited about these things! It is fun, especially when it's someone else!"

Grumbling, Cira grabbed the outfit and slammed the door. She knew there was no way Videl would ever submit to whatever a make over was. However, Videl had done a lot for her especially by helping her adjust and she had looked awfully excited. Deciding that she could suffer through this make over if it made her new friend happy, Cira exited the dressing room with a bright smile on her face.

**************************************************************** *******

"You are not cutting my hair!"

"Not even just a few inches?"

"NO! Elrondians do not cut their hair, ever!"

Sighing, Videl conceded. "Don't cut it, Eduardo, just do a really cute up-do, or something!"

"Ah, yes," the hairdresser said in a thick accent. "I `ave ze purrrfect hair style for ze ladieee! An' zen we can do face an' nails an' it will be, purrrfect!"

After what seemed like ages, Eduardo and his team were finished. "I must zay, I `ave outdone myself this time! Although, it was no' difficult with zuch a natural beauty!"

"You do look great, Cira," Videl said, smiling brightly.

Cira turned around to look at herself in the full-length mirror and was shocked. She could not recognize herself! Eduardo had curled her long hair into ringlets and then pulled them to the top of her head; they were held in place with a simple tiara and trailed down to rest on her shoulders. Light make up was used to enhance her already beautiful face; dusky plum eye shadow highlighted her eyes, and she smiled, her glossy lips shimmering.

The new look was complimented with a fancy shirt and skirt. The shirt was silky and a dark plum. It was sleeveless and the neckline resting right below her neck. The hem settled nicely on her hips, outlining her curves. She wore a simple black skirt that tapered to the left in a point and ended above her knee. Cute, strappy black sandals finished off the picture.

Turning to Videl, Cira grinned. "It is marvelous, I have never felt so beautiful!"

"That's great!" Videl said, handing Eduardo the credit card. "Now, I just need to stop at my house and change; then we can meet the guys."

All the way to Videl's house, Cira was conscious of the many looks she was receiving. These were different from when she'd arrived. Men were fairly craning their necks to get second and third looks. She hated it. Cira suddenly wished she were home, alone, or maybe with Trunks. Blushing softly, Cira scolded herself. He always slipped into her thoughts like that, sneakily.

They reached Videl's home, but her father was gone filming a movie about saving the world. Videl had explained the whole sordid affair and Cira sympathized with her new friend. It did not take long for Videl to get ready.

She had decided on a simple black dress that settled on her knees. Her hair was short enough that she merely had to shake it and Videl would never touch make up.

"Don't you want to go through this make over for Gohan?" Cira asked as they headed for the restaurant. They had decided on going by car to preserve their appearance.

"I already did," Videl muttered.

"Did it work?" Cira queried. Videl nodded.

"I guess we're a couple. I mean, we've never made it official, but…. yeah, we're a couple."

Cira was extremely happy for Videl. "I think it is very romantic. I see a happy future for both of you."

Videl blushed and giggled. "I certainly hope so, oh, here we are!"

**************************************************************** *******

"Where the in the HFIL are those girls?" Gohan demanded. "I'm starving!"

Trunks shrugged, playing with his silverware. This attraction to Cira was getting worse. All day today while they were shopping, all Trunks wanted to do was reach up and hug her, kiss her, hold her…. stuff that would probably lead to his face being slapped.

Gohan noticed his silence and nudged him. "What's the matter, Trunks?"

"I think," Trunks stopped, trying to find the courage, "I think I'm falling for Cira."

"Oh, man," Gohan, muttered. "That's bad, Trunks."

"I know," Trunks, cried, "She's going to go home soon! She's a Princess! I don't even belong in this time period! It's hopeless and I'm falling apart!"

"Technically, you are a Prince," Gohan reminded him. Trunks glared at him.

"I am a Prince of a dead race, Gohan! I don't think her father, who's a King will appreciate that!"

Gohan shrugged. "Just trying to make it seem a little less hopeless, buddy."

Sighing, Trunks clapped Gohan on the shoulder. "Thanks, Gohan, but it isn't going to work. I'll just live the rest of my life unhappy. What a change."

About to speak, Gohan silenced himself as he looked at the approaching girls. "Oh, wow, Trunks, you are not going to be happy."

Trunks looked up and his eyes widened. He had barely achieved some measure of control when they were suddenly at the table. Jumping to his feet, he pulled out a chair for Cira. She smiled at him, and Trunks knew he was lost.

"You l-look wonderful, Cira. Beautiful."

"Thank you, Trunks. Is it too much?"

Trunks slowly shook his head, unable to take his eyes off of the angel before him. She was so stunning, so wonderful; he was running out of adjectives. His heart burst and Trunks knew that if he could not have this woman, there would be no other.

Videl noticed the look in Trunks' eyes and giggled. Everything was proceeding according to plan. Now, all she had to do was throw them together.

"I know what you're trying to do Videl," Gohan whispered into her ear, his breath tickling her. "You should probably stop before it's too late."

"It is too late," Videl, hissed back. "Why are you trying to deny Trunks happiness?"

"I'm not," Gohan retorted. "Those two-together-is impossible. She's from a different planet and he's from another time! Hello!"

"Minor problems that they can work through," Videl said stubbornly. "Look, according to you and Bulma, Trunks has always been unhappy. Now, I may not know either of them very well, but they need each other, Gohan!"

Looking into her eyes, Gohan suddenly said, "You look gorgeous tonight."

Blushing, Videl muttered thanks and scrambled for her menu. This relationship with Gohan was still new for her and she was easily flustered. "What's good here?"

**************************************************************** ******

Once the food arrived, the couples had relaxed enough to enjoy each other's company. Cira had never been happier. Although she loved her life on Elrondia, she'd never had friends like this, friends who were comfortable around her and forgot about her title. It was wonderful to belong.

All through dinner, Videl had been eying the dance floor. Once Gohan had sated his hunger, he succumbed to the pressure and led her out onto the floor. They were quickly swallowed by the crowd and Trunks found himself alone…. with Cira.

"So, what do you think of Chikyuu?" Trunks asked. Good question, it's nice and neutral.

"It's different, a lot different then Elrondia. I like it though. There's something about this Chikyuu that makes me feel safe, warm. Well, despite the fact that people are slowly polluting and killing her." Cira suddenly wanted to crawl under the table. First she babbled, and then she insulted his people's care of their world.

Trunks winced. "You should've been here during the industrial age, talk about pollution. Actually, people are becoming more aware, and they're taking steps to fix things. It's going to take awhile, but I think the changes implemented will make a difference."

"What about your Chikyuu?" Cira asked quietly, fingering the stem of her water glass.

Trunks' face darkened and he said, "It's destroyed. The androids saw to that. The people are trying to start over, but……it'll be long and difficult. I'll die before my Chikyuu reaches even a portion of her former glory."

"Maybe there's some good though," Cira suggested. "You've been given a chance to do things differently, not make the same mistakes that polluted the old Chikyuu."

He shook his head bitterly. "Even nature's been destroyed. It's a mess and I am so tired of trying to right the many wrongs."

"Then let's not think of such things," Cira suddenly said, "Let's forget our responsibilities, at least for tonight. Will you dance with me?"

Trunks gaped at her, before nodding slowly. He stood and she placed her hand in his. He led her to the dance floor and pulled her into his arms.

"I've never danced this way before," Cira murmured uncertainly.

Smiling softly, Trunks guided one hand to his shoulder and then he took the other and began to sway to the music. "Just follow my lead."

We were strangers


Starting out on a journey

Never dreaming

What we'd have to go through

Now here we are

And I'm suddenly standing

At the beginning with you

Slowly, they swayed closer until they were body to body, her head resting on his chest. Cira inhaled the scent that was Trunks, a spicy scent that reminded her of warm summer evenings back home. Shutting her eyes, Cira dreamt of what she wished could be.

No one told me

I was going to find you

Unexpected

What you did to my heart

When I lost hope

You were there to remind me

This is the start

Trunks wrapped his arm tighter around her waist, not wanting to ever let go. Everything was moving so fast, he felt lost. He'd only just met this woman and already he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. Trunks sighed as pressed a gentle kiss to the top of her head. Fate had always been cruel to him.

I'll be there

When the world stops turning

I'll be there

When the storm is through

In the end I wanna be standing

At the beginning with you

Cira drifted to what their future could have been. They would return to his home, in the other dimension. It sounded as if the world just needed the healing touch of an Elrondian. Together, they would right the wrongs and make a great future.

We were strangers

On a crazy adventure

Never dreaming

How our dreams would come true

Now here we stand

Unafraid of the future

At the beginning with you

Of course, there would be children, lots of children. Cira smiled to herself, she had always believed in big families. Little girls with his lavender hair, tiny boys with her sparkling eyes. A pair of twins, of course, maybe a boy and girl. Twins always did run in her family.

I knew there was somebody somewhere

Like me alone in the dark

Now I know my dream will live on

I've been waiting so long

Nothing's gonna tear us apart

Maybe Gohan was right, Trunks thought. If they worked hard enough, maybe they could be together. It wasn't impossible, nothing ever was. Trunks knew he'd sacrifice everything to remain by her side, even if it meant leaving his home forever.

Life is a road and I wanna keep going

Love is a river I wanna keep going on....

Starting out on a journey

Life is a road and I wanna going

Love is river I wanna keep flowing

In the end I wanna be standing

At the beginning with you.

They could've danced like that all night. Unfortunately, even the restaurant had to close, and Cira was tired. She'd had an eventful day and her soft bed back at Bulma's home sounded wonderful.

"Thank you, Videl," Cira said, hiding a yawn. "I had a lot of fun today."

"Me too, Cira. Here's the capsule that has all of Bulma's stuff and her credit card. Maybe I'll stop by tomorrow after school."

Cira waved goodbye to Videl and Gohan who was going to escort her home. Cira knew it wasn't out of any fear; Videl could take care of herself, but more for her company.

"Ready?" Trunks asked, holding out his arms.

"I can fly too, you know," Cira murmured, trying to halt another yawn. "I'm just rusty."

"I believe you," Trunks said dutifully, gathering her into his arms. Launching himself into the air, Trunks flared his ki lightly to keep her warm. Safe and comfortable, Cira fell into a deep sleep, a smile on her slender face.

**************************************************************** *******

Vegeta trudged back to his home, satisfied with his training that day. Despite the randomness of his son's training sessions, he was improving nicely. If only he could convince the woman that home schooling was a great option…

The Elrondian, Lucca, was setting up a strange contraption right outside his front door. Vegeta glared at the offending alien. Smiling maliciously, Vegeta decided now would be the perfect opportunity to finish their fight.

Floating above the ground, Vegeta silently made his way up to the unsuspecting alien. Right before he was to launch his first attack, Lucca's voice sliced through his awareness.

"I know you are there, Prince Vegeta, and I have no wish to fight you."

The use of his forgotten title startled Vegeta and he resumed his feet. "I thought our fight was progressing nicely."

"My people do not believe in battle being an answer, only a last resort."

"Well, you've come to the wrong planet," Vegeta muttered. "Fighting is the only answer our enemies demand."

"I see," Lucca said simply, flicking a few buttons. A soft whirring began and Vegeta couldn't help his curiosity.

"It is a soul detector. It will scan all the souls of any being up to three miles. If their intent is to harm Bulma, it will issue a sharp beep. In this way we will not be caught unprepared."

"Souls, huh? Why not ki?"

"I do not know this ki you speak of," Lucca said, never taking his eyes off the machine.

"Ki, every being is supposed to have it. Some have greater ki then others."

"Is that your power source, then?"

Vegeta nodded. "Anyone can learn to control their ki, if they so wish to."

"An Elrondian's power source comes directly from the planet. We do not have this……ki."

"I know," Vegeta grimaced. "It made finding you hell."

"Fate was on our side," Lucca said, "Because we found each other. Now, if I could locate my sister, we can begin to search for Bulma's enemy."

"The brats didn't come back, yet? Knowing the two Saiyans in their company, they stopped for dinner and won't be back for a long time."

Lucca had finished tinkering with the detector and the two began to walk towards the house. "I should like to study Saiyans. We have only had one encounter with the species, before your planet was destroyed."

"Really?" Vegeta prodded.

"Yes, a Saiyan male crash landed on our world. We nursed him back to health and he repaid us by bonding with my aunt and taking her away. She never returned and we can only assume she died when your world was destroyed."

"Who was this Saiyan?" Vegeta asked, a sudden suspicion in his heart.

"He called himself Lord Saku. My aunt fell in love with the Saiyan cause and abandoned her people."

"I see," Vegeta said. "I have heard of this Saku and his great deeds for the Saiyans. It was rumored he had taken an alien to mate, but I never met her."

"Our people thought we were the only beings with the ability to bond, alas, we were proven wrong."

"Hum," Vegeta murmured. The two entered the dining room to eat with little Trunks and Bulma. Although they would never be friends, an uneasy truce was held between them that would strengthen in the coming months.