Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Kaioshin Saga: Story 1: Silver Wishes ❯ Chapter 9: It Begins ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Silver Wishes

Disclaimer: I do not own Dragon Ball Z or any of the Dragon Ball Z characters. They are owned by those who own them. I do, however, own the original characters (if any) and the fic all of this is in. That is all.

Chapter Nine: It Begins.....

I hadn't been inside the East Kaioshin's palace more then a few moments when he had ordered me to the room I had been in before. I had started to protest about that, but he wouldn't hear me out. The look that he had on his face seemed to tell me that he wasn't going to argue with me, so I trudged up the stairs and went to the same room I was in before. I had wanted to slam the door really hard to show how I felt at the moment, but held back on that urge. I remembered to keep my emotions in tack about things like this and went on about my business.

I know laid on the bed, my arms and legs stretched on it as I stared up at the ceiling. I hadn't been there long, maybe an hour or so; I couldn't tell. I didn't care either as I sighed, boredom setting in. I just thought how this last week had been and how it had affected me. Most of it happened so fast that I didn't know what to think or react. My mother's death had affected me the most then anything else that had happened, leaving a big void in my heart. She was possibly the closest person that had been in my life and seemingly understood what I was feeling. Although she had been overprotective of all of us, my mother always seemed to smile down at us the same way. That had made me feel good about things and forget what was wrong on the planet that had surrounded me.

I wiped several crystal blue tears from my cheeks as I sat up and pulled my legs to my chest. I then wrapped my arms around my legs, placing my face onto my knees as I wept. I was tired of hiding these tears from everyone else that was around me. I was tired of being pushed away so many times in my life. I just wanted my life to be like everyone else's rather then this hell that I called my own. I hated it. I hated every waking moment of it and wanted to be over with as soon as possible.

A knock at the door made my head life up from my knees as I looked over towards it. I didn't say anything as the door opened all the way and the East Kaioshin stepped in, holding a black tray in his light purple hands. I watched him move slowly towards me, balancing a glass of milk on it with whatever food was on it that I couldn't see until he placed it on the table in the middle of the room. He then walked over to the bed and sat on the end of it as he folded his hands onto his lap.

"I know that you don't want to leave here at all, but there are certain things at certain times that change," The Kaioshin told me lightly, his eyes moving down to his lap as he sighed. "I want you to understand that nobody doesn't want you here. We do and now the Dai has extended your stay here indefinitely."

"Only if I become your assistant," I told him, wiping another tear from my face. "That's the only way."

"Unfortunately, it is. Would you take the chance to be my assistant to stay here?" He then put up a hand to stop me before I spoke. "And this has to be what you want and not what anyone wants or thinks. I know that you haven't had a lot of chances to do what you want to do or be where you want to be, but hopefully it will change with whatever you decide to do."

"What does a assistant do for a Kaioshin?"

"Basically, my assistant is my first line of defense in this universe as well as a helper for the things that go on in the East Quadrant."

"Why wasn't Akira happy with it?"

"I don't know, Kibito. I honestly don't know," He told me, a light smile coming onto his lips. I could tell it was forced as I looked away from him. "I gave him anything that he wanted and things that anyone could dream of and possibly more. I guess he wasn't ready for the responsibility that came with it all or the Majins changed him; whatever it was, it wasn't something I had anything to do with. I will never know nor do I wish to know."

"I don't know if I could handle it. I mean, I am just a child after all. What if I fail?"

"You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try," The Kaioshin advised me wisely as he stood up, his smile fading as he walked slowly to the door, his back becoming rigid as he did. It took him a moment to get to it before he turned half way, placing a hand onto door knob to pull it close when he left. "Times do change around here and perhaps it is for the best for these changes. You can't live by one road alone but by many ones. By going down different paths will you find what life really takes you and how much you would miss if you don't try a little bit of everything."

"Which planet am I going to?"

"I don't know yet, but I can tell you it will be a place where you will be safe from the Majins and anything else that might harm you. I can guarantee that."

I nodded as he pulled the door closed as he left, my eyes going over towards the tray that he had left there. Cookies were on a small plate next to the glass of milk, both looking good to me as I stared at the tray for a moment before sliding off of the bed and taking a few steps towards the table. I was unsure as to what to do with it, inching my way to the table before I came next to it. I wanted to take a cookie, but held back in slight fear. I was scared of what might happen if I took one. I then shook my head, reminding myself that I was no longer on my planet and that I was somewhere else as I reached out and took a cookie from the plate.

As I took a bite of the cookie, I took a glance towards the bed that I had been sitting on a few moments ago. I knew this was probably going to be one of the last night that I would be sleeping in it if it wasn't the last anyways. If it was, I should at least take advantage of a nice, warm bed and not worry about where I was going to be in the morning. But that was too hard to push away as I turned my head back around, pulling out a chair so that I could sit down instead of just stand up.

Even as I sat down, I wondered if the place I was going to be at would be as nice as the planet called Kaioshin-Kai was like. From the little that I had seen of it from the air, it was a beautiful planet with lush meadows and what I thought were flowers and trees growing down below in the grass. The West and East Kaioshin's palaces were sure regal enough to satisfy any family of wealth and power to some extent. The Kaioshin's themselves were nice enough, but seemed overbearing and protective of what little they had. I supposed it was because of their duties to the universe and such.

Wherever I went off to, I just hoped I would be somewhat happy there.

****

The East Kaioshin walked down the corridor of the second floor of his palace, his arms by his sides and his face straight forwards. There was a lot on his mind at this moment and the child named Kibito was one of those things. He was still deciding whether or not to keep the boy here as his assistant or have him lead a normal life on some other planet far away from Kaioshin-Kai. It would be a hell of a lot nicer then the upbringing he would have on this planet and the child would be able to be free instead of always somewhere with the Kaioshin.

But, what would be normal for Kibito? Whatever planet he would be on wouldn't be on his own and the family that he would be under the care of wouldn't be his biological one. Then again, the Kaioshins never knew their real family that much. Many of them, the older, the present, and the future generations, would be plucked from these homes and placed on a scarcely populated planet in the middle of the universe. Not even the mortal beings of the large space didn't know that Kaioshin-Kai existed unless they were fortunate enough to have been there themselves. Most of Heaven and Hell knew about the highest Gods of the universe, but these beings were of high status and really had to know.

Then there was Kibito's safety among the most important things. No doubt that the Majins had a lock on him by now and were waiting for the right moment to strike him down in cold blood. Without the Kaioshin protection, he would eventually die if not by Majin hand but by his own. Even if the East Kaioshin didn't know why exactly these wizards were after the child, he was still in danger. And once a Majin had his or her gaze fixed on something, then that one would do anything to get it by all means possible. Even destroy the planet that was quite possibly the center of the universe, but that wouldn't happen. The Majins were desperate for power, yet they had no reason to destroy the planet along with the universe they so longed to control. It would be unwise of them not to keep this planet alive even if it's people were long gone from protecting it.

The Kaioshin sighed, unable to think of what to do. He wanted to keep the child here, but then again he wanted Kibito to have a happy life. What would be happy for him? Being miserable here or being miserable somewhere where he won't be protected? He thought to himself as he stopped at the stairs that he had come up not too long again. The Kaioshin slightly turned his head towards the stair case, his eyes moving along each individual stair like he had never seen them before in his life. He remember vaguely the first time that he had walked up to the second floor, uncertain and very confused about what his new life would lead him. Would he be happy as a servant for the universe? Would he find the same things in life as he would if he wasn't a God now?

Those questions to those answers and more were never answered as he had never really thought about them much. His mind had been too busy with the recent events to even calculate his own happiness. Was he happy? Did he find the same things if he wasn't a God? Why was it so hard to find things that he should have by now? The Kaioshin couldn't decided what he wanted, what he needed, and what he could have as those things were given to him when he first started even if he didn't know he had them. It was a hard life, being a Kaioshin, but he had to do it. He was chosen for this life even if he didn't like it.

The East Kaioshin shook his head, attempting to push these thoughts out of his mind as he turned his head forwards and proceeded towards his own room on the other end of the corridor. In the morning, he would get everything ready for Kibito even if it wasn't the best decision to make at that time. Whatever it was, he hoped that the child would be happy with it.

****

Time seemed to go by slowly as I laid in the soft bed that I has spent the night before in, my back pressed firmly against the mattress. I was tired but my eyes didn't seem to want to stay closed as I stared at the perfect ceiling above me, hoping that I would eventually go to sleep. It was hard to do since the fear of what might happen in the morning cancelled out my desire to fall asleep. I just wanted this to be over with and done so that I wouldn't have to worry about it at any other given point in the course of the next day or so. Would I be staying here or would I be going to another planet? What would happen if the East Kaioshin were to change his mind about this matter? Would I be okay where I was going?

These questions were too much for me to think about as I rolled onto my left side, and pulled a free pillow to my chest. I was scared of what was going to happen in the time that would come because I really didn't want to leave this place. For the time being, it gave me comfort to know that I was no longer in a war-stricken planet and far away from any death that I could have seen. Then that comfort would leave me and I would find that a certain loneliness would leave a void in my soul that wouldn't go away. At these times I wished I still had my mother to be with me so that I would feel this way, but she wasn't here. She was killed along with the rest of my family, and I had no one else in the universe.

Not even the East Kaioshin seemed to care what I was feeling. I didn't even know myself if I cared about it, but it was the truth. He, like the other ones, wanted to find a home for me without my input in it. The Kaioshin seemingly wanted to know what I wanted, but would he put it into thought? Surely he wouldn't bother taking into consideration what I wanted, but what did I want? Comfort? Love? Happiness? I didn't know, yet I wanted to find out for myself.

I closed my eyes, hoping sleep would come eventually to me.

****

Akira stood at the edge of a plain, the smoke from the battlefield barely noticed by him as he watched bodies fall onto the ground. His blood stained clothing were cut up pretty badly, hanging off of his pink skin, not even flinching when bullets sprayed in every direction. There was nothing for him to do in this war anymore besides watch those innocent souls break away from their bodies and go wherever fate allowed them to go.

He wished he could go with these souls, but he couldn't do that. So many years spent at Kaioshin-Kai quite possibly gave him immortality, but he couldn't be sure. He knew he could eventually die, but not of natural causes. That he knew from the moment that he figured his life span. What would kill him, he didn't know and didn't really care. Whatever it was, he just hoped that he had a quick and painless death even if he was by his own hand.

"Damn you, why don't you fight with the others?" A voice said from behind him. Akira didn't move a muscle as a whip of wind shot past him, the coldness seemingly not affecting him like it should. Perhaps he welcomed this coldness instead of the warm feelings he should have had at that moment but didn't.

"There is no reason why I should be fighting a war I didn't even start," Akira replied as a cloaked figure came to his side a moment later. He didn't know this stranger, but knew the Majin symbol on his forehead so well. It was the only familiar thing he found slight comfort in even if it was an evil comfort that came from it. "By all accounts, there shouldn't even be a war still going on today. So many innocent people have died for a cause that was made so long ago. I quit fighting as it is useless to do so."

He knew he was telling all of this to the wrong person, but he didn't care. There was nothing else to live for besides his own death which could not come more quickly. It would be only a matter of time, he figured, before something or someone killed him and his misery would be over with. He had betrayed the one person that had to put his full trust in with his life and that was over with. Gone, like the whispering wind that moved his hair around in all of her secrets.

"Those innocent lives are nothing without power. Power is what puts the strong on top of the weakling fools. The weak will perish along with those innocent's that don't bother fighting."

"That is because they don't have anyone to stand up for them. I know that I am telling this to a puppet with an invisible master, but it is the truth."

"If they don't stand up for themselves, who would do it? Not my Majin master."

"That is the problem with war," Akira replied blandly, barely glancing over towards the one that he would have considered fighting next to at any other given moment. "People can not think for themselves any more then a possessed person under Majin control can. They have to rely on those that are strong in order to survive. You have to rely on a Majin to stay alive or else you will be killed."

"Speaking freely from my unknown thoughts, why did you do this? Go up against a Kaioshin, I mean. Even the Majins, in all their glory and power, have a silent fear of them and I agree with that fear."

"I just freed myself from my own master. I am no longer under the shadow of another. I want my own life and not someone else's," Akira answered semi-truthfully, giving the other one last glance before he started to walk towards an unknown destination. "Perhaps, if the chance came, you should do the same, even by a killing hand."

"Where do you think you're going?" The stranger called out towards the other.

"To see what hell my home has become," He replied, not turning around nor stopping as the smoky mist rose around him, engulfing Akira before he vanished totally into the requiem of war.

****

The morning came slow that day, the night drifting off into the other side of the planet as the light drove it away to that side. What winged creatures stirred right outside the palace now started to sing a melody that could not be heard any where else in the universe, waking me from a peaceful sleep that I had fallen into several hours before. I sat up slowly rubbing my eyes in what light there was, groggily looking around once my sight had gotten used to being awake. At first, I didn't know where I was but then I remembered that I was still on the same planet I had been on before.

Half glad that I was still there and once my eyes had woken up totally, I took off the covers that had kept me warm during the night and put my legs onto the side of the bed. My stomach rumbled for some food, my mind quickly telling it that it shouldn't ask for food just yet. I hoped that there was still some cookies left from last night since I couldn't remember if I had eaten them all as I rubbed my frizzy hair down. Stealing a glance towards the, I saw that the tray that had held the food on it the night before was gone and in it's place was neatly folded clothes. I looked down at the clothes that I had worn the day before, realizing that I slept in them set a alarm off in my head.

"Oh boy," I muttered to myself, quickly jumping from the bed as I rushed towards the table. I knew I was going to get hell for sleeping in my clothes since I figured that the East Kaioshin would probably scold me like my older brother had so many times before. I had seen no reason why I should have been yelled at during those times since my night shirts then were no different then the clothes I wore during the day.

I took in a deep breath as I stopped by the table, my eyes going onto the pile of clothes that now sat there, undisturbed like they had been laying there perfectly forever. They looked somehow familiar, like I had seen them somewhere else before but couldn't pinpoint them to that person or place. I stared at them for a moment, coming out of my trance only when I heard the shuffle of feat behind me. I spun around, unsure as to who it was as my gaze fell onto him. The East Kaioshin stood there near the doorway, his eyes wide with surprise as he held a pair of boots in his hand.

"What are you doing up so early?" He inquired, walking up slowly as if he had never seen me before.

"Couldn't sleep, really. Too nervous," I replied, keeping my eyes on him as he placed the boots by the table, his eyes on me as well.

"About what?"

"I don't know where I am going to go now. I figured that you should get a head start on placing me on a new planet." I then nodded over towards the clothing that he must have put there when I was asleep. "I suppose those are from the new home I have. Where am I going?"

"Well, you are right about the head start," The Kaioshin replied, chuckling. "And you aren't going anywhere for the moment until you have eaten something, then it is off to do a couple of things."

"What about the clothing?" I asked, now becoming confused about his words

"What...oh, these old things?" He asked, looking towards the pile of clothes then back towards me. "Used to be Akira's when he was your age. I figured that you two would be the same size and everything, but I could be wrong." He sighed as he shook his head, moving towards the door with long strides. "Hurry up and get dressed. You've got a lot to learn before you can do anything else."

"I guess my new home awaits, huh?" I mumbled, looking longingly towards the clothing as I took off the socks that I had worn the day before. "So, what does this planet look like? Are the people nice there?"

"What in the hell are you talking about?" The Kaioshin snapped, stopping at the door as he turned around to face me. After I took off the socks, I looked over at him to see that he had his hands on his hips, an eyebrow raised towards me, and his lips in a thin line.

"Aren't I going to a new home today?"

"Wha....new home.....the...gah!" The East Kaioshin flustered up, his mouth moving in silent words before a realization hit that I wasn't talking about what he thought I was talking about. "Oh, you were talking about me taking you to another planet. I see now. I suppose we both thought we were talking about same thing, ne?"

"So, you aren't taking me to a new planet?" I asked, becoming more confused then ever. "Then, why are you saying......"

"Child, don't you ever listen to your elders?" He scolded me, narrowing his eyes a bit. "Didn't the Dai say that only Kaioshins and their assistants could stay here?"

"Yes, but I thought that you didn't want me here so you were going to take to a new planet to live."

"Oh, so all this made you think that?"

"Yes, so if you don't mind, let me get dressed so that we can go," I said dryly, crossing my arms over my chest. "You said I had a lot to learn, didn't you? I want to know everything about that planet before I live there."

"I meant, you have a lot to learn about this planet," The Kaioshin hissed, rolling his eyes. "You can't very well be my assistant without knowing a thing or two about the planet your charge lives on."

"But....but....." I started, my mouth dropping open as my arms fell back to my sides. I thought I heard him wrong or he may have said the wrong words to the wrong person. "I....thought....but....."

"I can't leave you on another planet in the condition you are in nor will I allow the Majins to learn that you aren't under the protect of the Kaioshin's. Besides," The Kaioshin started, a smile coming onto his lips, "you have a power within you that could very well help the universe some day, and I'll be damned if it is going to waste. You've got a lot of training to do in the years ahead, and I suggest that we get started as soon as breakfast is done, okay?"

I didn't answer him as I stood there, gawking at nothing in particular. The East Kaioshin took that as a yes, laughing to himself as he closed the door behind him so that I could get dressed in peace. I stood there for several minutes, the shock of being able to stay here wearing off slightly as I turned back around to the clothing that had been set out for me. I realized now where I had seen these garments before: Akira was wearing them the day before. The clothing of an assistant to a Kaioshin, I thought as I picked up a piece of clothing and stared at it.

At long last, I finally found my place in the universe.

To Be Continued......