Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Kaioshin Saga: Story 3: A Truth Untold II: Blue Moon ❯ Chapter Six: Trail of the Cure ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A Truth Untold II:

Blue Moon

Disclaimer: I do not own Dragon Ball Z or any of the Dragon Ball Z characters. They are owned by those who own them. I do, however, own the original characters (if any) and the fic all of this is in. That is all.

Chapter Six: Trail of the Cure

Shin felt cold, tired, and hungry by the time he and Akira had packed up in the morning. It had been an uneventful night under the stars, but the small deity wished he had spent it with someone else. Someone that was many planets away, probably in pain and wanting to have someone tend to him like he tended to the Kaioshin. Yet, he knew, there would be some good that would come out of this lonely trip far away from anything that would save him. It is time that I did my duty to Kibito like he does his duty to me, Shin though, a small smile coming to his lips as he and Akira moved across a barren wasteland of an ancient battlefield where so many had lost there lives many years ago.

The Kaioshin hadn't slept that good the night before and it showed on his apparently young face. He would have, but the mere thought of sleeping on some lost soul's grave gave him chill's that ran up and down his spine. Akira had laughed at what he called "that insane notion of respect of one's final resting place", making his traveling companion secretly fume in anger. Shin didn't say anything to him, hoping his anger would subside by the time all of this was over and down with. He couldn't risk having his anger explode and cause it to jeopardize the journey that he was on. Kibito meant too much to him to take that risk and he didn't want to lose any more of his family that he had so desperately held close to him.

"You are quiet again," Akira said as he walked in front of the God, taking semi-long strides as he looked around cautiously. Although this battlefield that they were on had long since been abandoned, Shin figured there might be a few lingering souls that hadn't given it up completely. I guess he still has that bodyguard sense in him from when he was my father's bodyguard, Shin thought to himself, nearly matching the strides that the other took.

"Thinking about everything, that is all," He replied, a bit of his fear seeping into his voice.

"Don't worry. I may have done some evil things in the past, but I don't think I would take the risk of killing you. Despite the fact that I still hate the Kaioshins with a passion, I wouldn't kill one because of it. Besides, Kibito would have my neck if he new what I did to you. I'm sure he's gotten stronger since I last saw him."

"What reaction do you think he'll have when he sees you?"

"I'm hoping that he won't see me at all. If you could secretly transport me to Kaioshin-Kai for those two minutes, then...."

"There's no way he'll ever leave me alone with you, even for two minutes," Shin said, snorting. "If I know Kibito, he'll...."

"....do what any bodyguard would do and protect his charge," Akira finished for the deity, turning his head over his shoulder to glance at Shin. "I know the bodyguard code. I took it when I became the prior East Kaioshin's bodyguard even though I know I broke it. I just hope Kibito doesn't break his."

"He won't. That is one promise I know he will keep."

A silence came between them as Akira turned his head back forwards as he stared at the distant horizon that still held the last bit of night sky. They had gotten an early start, barely waiting for the morning sun to come over the horizon as both took what bags were still filled with supplies and headed towards where Shin hoped that the cure was. He had to put some trust into Akira even if that trust was tainted with a feeling of dread. Kibito's life depended on it at all cost.

"You do love him, don't you?" Akira asked, slowing down as he allowed the Kaioshin to come to his side before the other matched the deity's strides.

"What makes you think that?" Shin asked, slightly blushing. He hoped that Akira didn't see it, but it was obvious that the was hiding something from him.

"No one in the Kaioshin order would go this far to save his or her's own bodyguard. Like I said before, it was always an endless cycle of bodyguards that each Kaioshin went through no matter how many or how little bodyguards they had."
"Why do you say that? An endless cycle of bodyguards, I mean. I know you explained it to me, but I still do not understand."

"Despite the fact that Kaioshins have a regard for most lift, it is a bodyguard's life they had almost no concern for. One was just there to protect the Gods when they went off planet so that the universe would still have five. If one got sick, it was almost like 'Oh well, you still got to do your job. If I can get sick and still do mine, you can be sick and do yours.' Because these bodyguards had to protect their charges, they had to get their immune system in order so that they could fight any diseases that they faced. That way, if they ever did get sick, they wouldn't be in too much trouble. Most of the time, that didn't happen."

"I am surprised to know this," Shin said, moving his gaze down to the ground. "Most of the bodyguards that served under the other Kaioshins were alive and well many years before they died. Only a few died because of old age or some unknown cause while the rest died to save the ones that they served. They were well taken care of during their lifetimes."

"They might have changed after I left. Maybe Kibito changed them or the East Kaioshin before you knocked some sense into them. I don't know and I don't care. They could do anything they wanted to and get away with it, too." Akira held up a hand to ward off any spoken or telepathic words from Shin. "Kaioshins are the highest known God's in the universe, correct?"

"Yes, we are. I doubt that there is anyone higher then us besides the universe herself."

"Well, since you have the most power in the universe as a whole, you can do about anything and not really have to pay for it except for those few mistakes. At least, that was what the West always said."

"She always said things but normally didn't mean it."

"When one is the only female on a planet of males, the one would too," Akira replied, a smile coming onto his lips. Shin looked up at him, shaking his head as he saw the expression that he held on his face.

"I know exactly what you are thinking," The deity toyed gently.

"Eh, don't worry. The most she ever did to me was a quick kiss on the mouth and that was about it." He moved his eyes towards the God, his smile not fading. "What did she..."

"I know what you are going to ask, but you don't have to say it," Shin told him. "She saw too much of the last East Kaioshin in me and strayed from me as much as possible. Apparently, he must have had a lasting impression on her or something."

"Must have," Akira said, looking around once again to make sure that they were the only two there and turned his attention forwards. He then pointed a little ways towards the right, waiting a moment for Shin to look in that direction as well. "That way is where a town lies. It is probably one of the few places that doesn't know who I am although a lot of people suspect that the 'original' Akira died centuries ago. I play on that rumor for the post part although my clothing does give who I really am away."

"Why don't you change out of it? After all, you could find almost anything in the untouched...."

"Be quiet," Akira hissed out, stopping quickly as he grabbed Shin by the clothing around his neck, pulling him close to him. At first, the Kaioshin thought it was something that he just said, but then saw that the other's gaze wasn't directed towards him but off somewhere else. His eyes were going left to right, his ears moving slightly like he head something off into the distance.

"What is it?" Shin whispered, a pang of fear going through him.

"I think I hear something coming towards us, but I could be mistaken on that. My hearing isn't what it used to be."

Shin stayed silent, his ebony eyes moving around as he attempted to listen for something. At first, he was about to agree with Akira on his hearing, but then a faint sound came to his elfin-like ears. A sound that he barely knew but probably know if he heard it else where. The sound of distant hoof-beats of a unknown creature galloping in from almost behind them. The Kaioshin felt Akira's grip loosen from his clothing as he stood still, the smile that he had plastered onto his lips faded and his face became emotionless.

"Pretend that you don't know anything about this situation and that we are searching for something that I am searching a cure for," He snapped out, his voice barely in a whispering tone. The sound of hoof-beats didn't help much in the deity's own hearing as it was seemingly almost on top of them. It was Akira that turned around first, putting the bags over his shoulders and clasping his hands behind his back as he did. Shin turned around as well, but his gaze was on the other as a thought came to him. He looks so much like Kibito except Akira has scars on his face and his clothing is tattered beyond anything.

The sound that was probably a horse's hooves came to a stop as Shin turned his eyes forwards. There, standing several feet in front of them, were two horse-like creatures with their male riders sitting on top of them, black reins in their hands. They had serious looks on their faces, almost identical to the one that Kibito had on his face most of the time, as they stared down at the two travelers.

"What is an outsider and one of our kind doing on this part of a battlefield?" One snapped, his eyes moving directly towards Shin.

"We are looking for something that cold cure a certain type of poison," Shin started, not even bothering to lie towards them.

"What type of poison?" The other demanded.

"I don..."

"It is a dormant type that one would not know he or she would have until many years later when it surfaces," Akira replied, stepping forwards just a bit. "We are looking for a certain type of herb that grows in a cave not far from the town that lies many miles from this battlefield. We are hoping that the town has a small supply so that we can use it to cure our friend who is off planet at this time."

"Why didn't you let him speak?"" The second snapped coldly. Akira was about to answer before the first stranger moved a hand towards the other, indicating something to him.

"Don't ask that question. I know that clothing from somewhere, but I can't place it," The first said, giving his riding companion a sideways glare.

"But...."

"If he says that they are looking for a cure, then...."

"I am sorry to interrupt, but we must be on our way," Shin interrupted, a apologetic smile appearing on his lips. "There is someone that I care for deeply that needs this cure."

"How did this person get it?" The second asked, narrowing his eyes just a bit. At this moment, Shin was becoming annoyed about these two stranger's questions as he just wanted to start on his journey again. Every second they wasted talking to these two, it was less time he could get a cure.

"That is none of our concern," The first one barked out, turning his head towards the other. "They are not going to do anything. If they do, you know what is going to happen to them."

"We can't take any chances since the last attack. Every traveler to this planet must be screened."

"Because you think that we are sent by the Majin, correct?" Shin inquired, which lead the two strangers to move their heads sharply towards the light purple deity.

"How did you know of past Majin interference?" Both asked at the same time.

"I've had my own encounter with the Majin myself, one of which destroyed my home planet, possessed my sister, and killed off the order in which I was once a part of. He may have also poisoned the person that I am looking for that cure for."

"This Majin. What is his name?" The second asked, whom didn't receive a death glare from his partner.

"Bibidi." When he said that name, three surprised looks came the Kaioshin's way. Before anyone could speak, Shin shook his head and spoke first. "You've probably heard that name before, but do not worry. He's been dead for at least a year now. I can't prove it, but I was there when he was killed. That is, before I blacked out and awoke three weeks later."

"Well, what are you waiting for?" The second one said, looking towards his friend. "He saw the destruction of one Majin which should be enough. We should help them."

"No," The first one said, snapping the reins as he moved the horse-like creature around Akira, motioning his companion to do the same. "We leave them be."

"What?" The other asked, quickly doing the same thing but he moved around Shin instead, who glanced around his shoulder to look at him. "He destroyed probably the most powerful of the Majin race. We have to help them."

"Like he said, he can't prove it although we have not heard from these Majins in centuries. It is not our place to help them in this kind of nature. Our help lies else where in our land."

"But....."

"No," The first one said once the second had trotted next to him. Akira and Shin turned around, watching the two riders move away from them before the firs tone turned around, a light smile on his lips. "You have safe passage from here on out. The terrain is full of traps and spies of this region and we will give all those that watch this battlefield the message of your coming. You need not worry about anything except for the lone creatures that wander at night."

"Um, thanks," Shin called out bluntly, waving to the two strangers as they galloped over a small hill and disappeared over onto the other side.

"I'd say that was an interesting encounter," Akira commented, looking down towards his own traveling companion, who had stopped waving and looked up towards the other.

"And with a bit of weirdness in it," The Kaioshin added to that. "I got a cold chill when that one passed me, like there was something deathly about him. Did you not feel it as well?"

"As a person who has seen stranger things in the last hundred years then you would see in a Kaioshin's lifetime, my answer is no," The other replied, a smirk on his lips as he started to move towards the same direction that the two strangers had left in. "Let's go. We should make it to the town by midday if not a little bit after. We don't have a lot of time before the poison takes Kibito body over fully. I don't know how long you waited to come here, but if it was over two weeks before the first symptoms arose, then he's screwed."

"Meaning?" Shin demanded, walking quickly to Akira's side.

"Meaning, even if the shaman and I put the actual cure together, it wouldn't work."

"Why?"

"How long ago did Kibito start having the symptoms?"

"About four or five days ago, I suppose."

"You suppose?" Akira growled out, his strides becoming longer and faster then before. Shin had to practically run to keep up with him. "Give me the exact number of days so that I can decide if this is going to work or not. Because, if it isn't, then I suggest you start looking for a new bodyguard right about now."

"I don't know how long ago it was, damn it. I didn't even now he was poisoned until yesterday!"

"What kind of symptoms did he have, oh say, last week?"

"The normal kind. You know, serious face, hidden emotions in his eyes, straight standing position. Nothing that would indicate that he was sick. Why do you want to know?"

"Because," Akira started, his movements going a little bit slower then he was going before, "the first symptoms usually are a pale face and sweating, but I can't be sure. I've never really seen anyone before half-way dead with this poison in their blood, but I've been lectured in it by old Majins who knew this poison well. To make a long story short, Shin, if I don't know when the first few symptoms came up, he won't be alive when you return to him with the cure."

"Like I said, it was about four to five days ago when I noticed a lighter shade of pink on his face and sweating. At least, for Kibito. He isn't usually like that when he was sick or any other time." Shin had to practically whisper the last four words so that Akira wouldn't get any ideas, but it was too late. He doubted that Akira didn't care right now, but that wasn't something he was worried about either.

"Then we still have some time before the poison takes total control of his body," Akira said, a hint of disappointment in his voice that Shin didn't hear. It was a good thing that he didn't or there probably would have been another battle with only one survivor.

****

Kibito didn't know what time of day it was or where he was as he slipped in and out of sickening sleep. Whenever he was awake, he could barely make out the shapes of any shaman that came into the hut in which he rested in. He understood their words at least, making some attempt to answer any questions that would come his way. The throwing up stage had nearly passed, waking him up from a nightmare-filled sleep so that he come into another one that was slowly killing him from the inside out.

Every time that he closed his eyes, images would dance on the back of his eyelids. Images that he didn't want to see. Images that were from his past long ago. Images that he just wanted to go away. He figured it was something that had to do with his poison that was in his body, but he couldn't be sure. It was so hard to know which ones that were because of the poison or the ones that were because of his hurting heart that throbbed with the pain of his past.

He didn't know why he told Shin about the happenings of his past. Kibito figured it was his mind that had slipped during the brief period back on Kaioshin-Kai or it was just something inside of him that told him to tell his charge. To finally reveal what had really happened in his brief childhood if he considered the hell he went through to be anything a child should have to go through. It hurt him deeply just to talk about it and perhaps he would never get over it.

He just hoped his love was alright as he drifted off into another hell-filled dream.

To Be Continued......