Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Problem With Ecstacy ❯ The Problem With Ecstacy ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: Kiss my rosy red @$$!

A/N: Was that over the top? Anyway this is the last chapter. I know I said two, but I couldn’t seem to stretch it that far. I didn’t want to deal with the parents or turn this into a Law and Order parody. Enjoy, and don’t forget to review!

________________________________________
CHAPTER 4: THE PROBLEM WITH ECSTACY
________________________________________
It took time, even after the drug was completely out of her system, for Lina to stop craving it. Little by little, she was able to train herself away from the longing, getting back to a healthier way of living. She started to realize what she had done to herself over the past year. She would look at her arms and just start crying, knowing that the scars would never leave her.

She started opening up to Trunks, pouring her heart out to him on more than one occasion. She told him of everything that had led her to the life of partying and lesser drugs that she had lived for so long. She’d had her first joint at thirteen, her first shot of vodka at twelve. She had never had a loving family, and they never really cared as they saw her change before their eyes from the sad little waif into the careless and daring teenager, a girl who would do anything, answer any stupid dare or challenge, go to any party, no matter what was being served up. That she had never been arrested was a miricle, concidering some of the wild things she had done over the years.

And then, of course, she had been invited to THAT party. Ishandra’s parents had been gone for the weekend, so she had invited the entire party population of Satan City into her living room. It had been an opportunity that the higher class pushers had been unable to resist, and there had been one there for every designer on the market, good China White, high quality cocaine, ecstacy, crank, meth, and anything else you could think of. There was also one selling rohipnol to the guys, though that one actually wasn’t making many sales. This party wasn’t into that.

The Poison dealer, a very popular senior at Orange Star Highschool, was smooth. He knew exactly how to tempt a sophomore into his web, playing on their troubles and being the sympathetic ear. He let her yak on about how no body cared, and finally told her that he had something that would make all the pain go away. He showed her how to work the tourniquet, how to fill the needle safely, making sure that there were no bubbles, and how to find a vein, and then let her inject herself. He hadn’t charged her, but he had only given her a small dose, not even half what he sold to his vets. He knew that she had never had anything more than a drink and a joint in her life, so he knew that if he wanted to make her into a customer, he would have to make sure that she didn’t come to harm from her first attempt. He was a ruthless business man, and he knew that killing his newbies off was not a good way to run his business.

Her first dreams were enough to addict her for keeps. When she came out of them, she shelled out a great deal of money for her first supply, and since money was no object to her oblivious parents, she didn’t have any trouble keeping herself supplied. As her life started to fall into the deadly cycle of high and low, her grades fell, her mind froze, and her parents were merely dissapointed in her GPA, never asking her what was wrong or even getting mad at her or accusing her of slacking off.

She told Trunks all these things over the last three weeks of their Christmas vacation, and he let her cry on his shoulder. He knew that the battle was far from over. She would be fighting the actual addiction for the rest of her life, though not in as spectacular a fashion as she had at the cabbin. However, he made sure that she knew that she would never be alone in the struggle. She would always have him to turn to if she ever started feeling the need again, if she ever started feeling that the world would collapse around her ears. He spent every waking moment ensuring that she would always trust him enough to tell him anything.

Finally, the day had come for her to return home. He had decided to go with her, just in case she had a confrontation with her parents. They were just about ready to leave when Gohan landed in the front. He smiled at Lina and waved for Trunks to come talk to him. “Yeah, Gohan, what is it? We were just about to head home.”

Gohan’s smile had disapeared. He sighed heavily. “Trunks, her parents found a bag in her room.”

A scowl creased his face. “Shit. What are they doing about it?”

The older Saiyan looked at his young friend. “They were to worried about their reputation. She’s been checked into a private rehab center. Bulma asked me to warn you so you could get her out of their way. She says that the best way to fix it would be to check her into CC’s rehab center that they opperate for employees with problems. That way you won’t have to worry about her getting turned in to the cops by the staff or them not believing that she’s clean, and they’ll let you in to see her since she already trusts you. More than that, once she’s checked in, they can’t take her to some other facility against her will and she can lock out her parents’ access to her. She won’t have to face them until she’s ready. Bulma only keeps top quality doctors in that place and her standards are twice what the state’s are. The place her parents picked out has been cited by the state more than once.”

“Damn. We’ve got to tell her.”
x x x

They told her everything and then Trunks asked her, “So what do you want to do? I’ll support whatever decision you make.”

Lina sighed heavily. Her parent’s hadn’t even cared enough to get her the best care money could buy, even though she knew that they had more than enough to pay for her to stay at CC’s rehab. They had just picked the cheepest one that would keep their dirty little secret from getting out. Well she didn’t plan on obliging them in that! “Trunks, could you recomend a good lawyer?”

He raised an eyebrow at her. “Gohan’s the best lawyer I know, though he’s actually a prosecutor.”

She turned to Gohan. “Do you think you can get me a suspended sentence with treatment and the provision that I be sent to the CC facility if I turn myself in willingly?”

At first Gohan stared at her. He was surprised, to say the least. Then he thought out what she had asked him. He did know a few judges who would be amenable to that kind of solution. But why would she be willing to taint her record like that? Her parents. He grinned. “Yeah, I don’t think it would be a problem. Since you’re cooperating with the law and accepting both punishment and help, most judges will be sympathetic. How many do you want at the press conference?” For that was what she was after. She wanted her parents to pay for their neglect over the years, and blowing their little secret would be the perfect way to do it.

She grinned right back at him, glad that he had caught on so quickly to her plan. “Every major network you can get your hands on. Let them know that once I get out, I’ll be starting a rehab plan of my own, confidentially, through the school system. And the judge gets the name of the dealer who hooked me.”

“Good. He needs to be stopped.” He looked over at Trunks and noticed a Vegeta-esque looke in his eyes. “Trunks, I’d better not hear that the guy suddenly disapeared or ends up maimed in his sleep or anything once he’s been caught.” At the look of false innocence that followed, the older Saiyan scowled. “I know you, Trunks, and you inherited your father’s sense of ‘justice.’ Even if there’s no evidence that the cops can find, I’ll know if you did it, and I’ll come after you myself if the law can’t, got it?”

Trunks growled sullenly and nodded. “Fine. Ruin my fun.”

Gohan grinned, knowing it was a joke and that he would comply. “All right, Lina. Get all of your stuff in the car and you two head for Satan City. I’ll meet you at the police station. You’re doing the right thing. Hopefully this will make people think twice before getting into this stuff. Hmm, by the way, is there any more in your house or at the school? We’ll need to hand it over to the police.”

“Yeah, my locker has a false back. There’s about a week’s worth in there, three bags, and the emergency stash in the girls’ bathroom on the second floor, under a loose tile underneath the heater vent. That’s all.”

“All right. I’ll fly back and get everything ready to get started. I’ll have to start grabbing judges and calling reporters. You two drive in and head for the police station. I’ll also call Bulma so she can meet us there. I have the feeling it’s going to be a good idea to have her kind of public heft behind us on this case. I also have to tell the D.A. that I’m taking on a pro bono case and won’t be able to handle the Jackson file. Don’t worry. Even in the legal world, being a Saiyan has it’s advantages, speed being the biggest one. I’ll be done with all that in time. Well I’d better get going.”

Trunks said, “Say hi to Mom for me, and tell her we’ll talk when I get back.” Gohan nodded and then took to the sky. Trunks turned to Lina. “Are you ready?”

“I just have a few more things to put in the car.”

“No, are you ready for this? The publicity and the controversy you’re about to kick up?”

She sighed and smiled sadly at him. “No. But this is the best solution. And I really feel that I should do this anyway. What I’ve been doing is wrong, and now that I’m free of it, it’s time to pay the consequenses. The controversy will bring this situation into the public eye. I didn’t even know what Poison was when the guy at the party gave me my first needle. He told me it would take me away from the pain, and I believed him. This needs to hit the news stands.”
x x x

/Satan City Municiple Court: Case #42856: People v. Ericson. Charges: 1 Abuse of a Controlled Substance, 1 Posession of a Controlled Substance. Plead guilty. Suspended sentence, drug therapy program, upon cooperation with police concerning the capture and indictment of Daniel Moris for Controlled Substance charges./
x x x

/Orange Star Herald, school newspaper, front page, article by Son Goten/
We often fail to realize what is going on around our ears. It’s what is most familliar to us, most difficult for us to see. We’re too busy examining the bug on the leaf in front of our noses to realize that the forest is burning. This recently happened to me concerning a friend of mine. He had made a new friend, and this friend had a problem, but I was too busy teasing the two of them for being friends of opposite gender to realize that she had a problem. This problem was Poison.

My friend knew, and he helped her, virtually kidnapping her and issolating her in his cabbin in the woods to get her clean. She’s doing fine now in Capsule Corporation’s private rehabilitation center, but if my friend had been as unobservant as myself, this girl would most likely now be dead.
This article is a plea for the rest of the student body to be observant. These are some of the signs and symptoms of drug abuse.[1]

Abrupt changes in work or school attendance, quality of work, work output, grades, discipline.

Unusual flare-ups or outbreaks of temper.

Withdrawal from responsibility.

General changes in overall attitude.

Deterioration of physical appearance and grooming.

Wearing of sunglasses at inappropriate times.

Continual wearing of long-sleeved garments particularly in hot weather or reluctance to
wear short sleeved attire when appropriate.

Association with known substance abusers.

Unusual borrowing of money from friends, co-workers or parents.

Stealing small items from employer, home or school.

Secretive behavior regarding actions and possessions; poorly concealed attempts to avoid attention and suspicion such as frequent trips to storage rooms, restroom, basement, etc.

Please, if you notice these signs in your friends or those around them, get them to talk to you or someone they can trust. Don’t nessessarily turn them over to the police, but get them to talk to someone. This has to be the first step.
x x x

Eleven years later, OSHS Class Reunion...
Lina walked into the old gym with trepidation. She was almost certain that she would only be remembered as a junkie, a Butterfly, a Poison addict. But she had let her mother talk her into coming anyway. She smiled. It had taken a lot of work, but she and her parents had managed to seal the rift that had been a part of her life for so long.

The gym had been decorated with all the frills of their senior prom, the DJ in the corner already having a blast. Lina looked around and suddenly spotted a purple head. She grinned and headed to where he was standing. When she got within ten feet of his position, she shouted, “Trunks!”

His head whipped around. He saw her and a wide grin swept over his face. “Lina! Hey, it’s great to see you! It’s nearly been a year, huh? That conference at CC on the funding for the Center.”

“Yeah. I still can’t believe they tried to pull it as being unnessessary! I still want to get my hands on the little worm who tried to pull that stunt. Did you ever find out what he wanted the money for?”

“Apparently, Mr. Satan was trying to get the funding diverted to set up a dojo on CC property. Mom found out and called Videl, who just about fried his ass!” Lina laughed with him. Then she noticed a face she hadn’t seen since before the cabbin. “What the hell is Moris doing here?”

Trunks turned around quickly. He spotted the pusher in the crowd and felt his anger rising. He had promised himself once his conviction was anounced that he would never lay a hand on the man, but seeing him out and free made his blood hot. He and Lina stalked to where the man was standing. But when they got a good look at him, their anger dissipated. He stood there, his eyes blank, his hair uncombed, his face unshaved, unsteady on his feet. He looked like he had been sleeping in his clothes and he seemed hollowed out. He was wearing a short-sleeved shirt and the needle tracks in his arms were pronounced and old. He was less than a shell of what he had been ten years ago. There was nothing left of the shrewd bastard who had sold to children. All that stood before them was a human husk, dried up and ready to fall away. The scent of Poison was very strong on him, and he looked like he was actually in the middle of his dreams. He was so far gone that he didn’t care that he was in a public place. He was close to death, though he was still concious.

Lina said quietly, “I’ll call an ambulance. But I think it’s too late.” She pulled out her cell phone from her purse and called the Center to send an ambulance for a possible o.d. in progress. Trunks aproached Moris, well aware, that even in this stage of fall out he could be dangerous to those around him. But before he got there, the man collapsed. As he hit the floor, blood started pouring from his mouth and nose, as well as a clear, viscous fluid. That was it. His eyes were still open, staring into space, but they no longer saw what was before them. He was dead. Trunks couldn’t hear his heart or his lungs any more.

Trunks knealt beside the pitiful heap of death and closed it’s eyes. He then took one of the paper table cloths off the buffet tables and covered the body. He stood there and kept people away while they waited for the coroner and the police to get there. One of the girls from their class walked up to stand beside him and Lina. It was Ishandra, the girl who’s party it had been that got Lina hooked. She looked at the still form and said, “He always said that Poison was like ecstacy.”

Lina nodded. “It was. But the problem with ecstacy is that it isn’t permanent, and once it goes away, it leaves you feeling empty and believing that you still need it. The problem with ecstacy is that it kills you by letting you think it is your friend.”
x x x

A/N: Well that’s the end. Please review! The site below is where I got that list of signs and symptoms. Please, if you know someone who is facing an addiction or are faced with one yourself, please contact your local Alanon or Narcanon service. They really can help. Don’t wait!

[1]http://www.addictions.org/signs.htm