Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Underground RIng ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Dragonball Z.

Goten stepped out of the post office and looked at the envelopes in his hand. He could feel butterflies in his stomach as he looked at the various crests of Universities and Colleges decorating the envelopes. He had finally gotten the replies some of the essays and resumes he had sent several weeks before. Goten held them tightly as he started to run home. His heart hammered against his ribcage.

Goten came in the front door of his house and closed it behind himself, Chi-chi came out of the kitchen when she heard the front door close.

"Did you get anything, honey?"

"I've got four replies, Mom." Goten's hands played with the corners of the envelopes. He bit his lip and walked to the couch.

He dropped onto the couch and separated one letter from the rest. His mother came and knelt on the couch beside him. Goten began to read the top half of the letter to himself. Chi-chi watched as his smile dropped into a frown.

Goten crumpled up the paper into a ball and threw it in the trashcan beside him.

"It's okay Goten, you've still got three more there." Chi-chi patted her son's knee and reached for another letter. "Here, open this one."

Goten ripped the end of the envelope open and pulled out the piece of paper inside. He again read some of it and frowned. Goten crumpled it up and reached for the next one. The next one was thrown in the garbage with the rest. Goten felt very nervous as he reached for the last envelope. Beside him, Chi-chi squeezed his knee comfortingly.

The envelope had a crest of a yellow sunset at the bottom of a pentagon and the letters UBC above it stamped onto the back. Goten opened it and pulled the letter out.

Chi-chi watched as a large smile found it's way onto Goten's face. "What does it say?" Chi-chi could barely contain the excitement in her voice.

"Dear. Mr. Son," Goten recited happily, "We're are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into our Environmental Sciences Program!" Goten began to laugh and pulled his Mom into a hug. "I did it Mom! I've been accepted to the University of British Columbia! I'm going to Canada!"

Goten felt his mom tense up and she squeezed him harder. "Goten, you're so lucky! I'm going to miss you so much." Chi-chi pulled back and kissed her son on the cheek. "You had better go tell your father."

Goten ran out of the room and found his Dad outside.

"Dad! Guess what!"

Goku laughed and hugged his son. "I heard, I heard. I could hear you to screaming a mile away! Good work, son." Goku patted Goten on the back and gave him a hug.

All through that night's supper Goten couldn't stop talking about all of the sites in Vancouver. "There's an ocean on one side of the campus, mountains on another and a forest on another! It must be so beautiful there! I just can't wait!"

"So when do you need to move onto campus?" Asked Goku.

Goten scanned the letter in his hand then looked up. "Well it says my first class is on September 2, but I'd like to get there at least two weeks early to get settled in."

"But that means we only have a couple of weeks left to spend together." Said Chi-chi as she looked at the calendar. "It's the 15th of July."

"Well Chi-chi maybe we should leave a bit earlier then we can go there with Goten and we can have a little vacation too."

"Oh Dad, that would be awesome, we could go check everything out together!"

Chi-chi nodded. "I'm alright with that but that means we need to start getting ready. We only have a month!"

*****

The next morning Goten got up, excited for this day. Today he was planning on telling everyone he knew that he got accepted to UBC.

After breakfast Goten went to the city. He walked past the smaller houses until he got closer to Gohan's neighborhood. The houses began to gradually get bigger and he finally walked up a walkway in front of a big brick house. Goten knocked the door. Gohan opened up.

"Hey, Goten. What are you up to today?"

Goten began to tell Gohan his good news and soon they were in a deep conversation about the importance of environmental sciences. After lunch Videl came home with Pan and invited Goten to dinner so he could fill her and Pan in. At about 6 Goten left their house feeling comfortably full.

Goten walked down a couple more streets and soon stopped in front of Capsule Corporations. Goten walked up the walkway and knocked on the door. Goten heard the sound of a dog barking. He was a bit surprised by this because the Briefs' didn't own any dogs.

The door opened and Goten found Trunks holding a puppy in his arms.

"Goten! Just the person I wanted to see!" Trunks left the door open and went and sat on the couch in his living room. Goten walked in and closed the door behind himself.

Goten's thoughts of university were pushed out of his mind as he watched Trunks put the black and tan puppy down which then proceeded to rip apart a teddy bear on the floor. Goten sat in an armchair and watched the puppy.

"What kind is it, Trunks? When did you get him?"

Trunks got down onto the floor and began to play tug-of-war with the dog. "His name is Reichen, he's a Doberman. I got him last week."

Goten watched as the dog growled and pulled as hard as he could on the teddy. Trunks pulled the teddy away and threw it for Reichen to run and get. "Oh. So is that all you wanted to see me for?"

Trunks stopped watching Reichen for a moment then looked at Goten. Trunks stood up and sat back down on the couch watching Goten in the armchair.

Goten shifted uncomfortably as Trunks' eyes went up and down his body.

"Trunks?"

Trunks snapped his eyes back up to Goten's and stared into Goten's eyes. Goten could see a determined look in Trunks' eyes. He could tell that whatever Trunks was about to tell him, he had been meaning to say for a while.

"Goten I'm gay."

Goten snapped back to reality and stared at Trunks. "What?"

Trunks sighed and leaned back. "Goten. Listen to me. I am gay."

Goten still stared at Trunks stupidly. "Say that again."

Goten sensed the desperation in Trunks' voice. "Goten, I am a homosexual!"

"Oh." Goten felt an awkward silence come over him and Trunks. He tapped his fingers on the chair arm and stared at things in the room. Goten finally looked back at Trunks. "Well that's okay, I guess."

Trunks struggled to continue with what he was trying to tell Goten. "Goten, I also . . . I also like you. I want you to go out with me. Will you?"

Goten watched as Reichen dragged a bone into the room and then began to gnaw on it. Goten ran his fingers through his hair and tried to not look away from Trunks. "I think I had better go Trunks. I have to get home."

Goten slipped his shoes on and opened the door. He looked at Trunks. Trunks was not watching Goten. Goten saw his forehead wrinkle and lips purse. "See you later, Trunks."

"You'll be back Goten, I'm not worried."

"Right . . . Bye." Goten stepped out the door and walked away. Goten felt anger begin to overcome him as he thought about what Trunks had said. How dare he think he was gay! He shoved his hands in his pockets and began to walk faster as it started to rain on him from the now dark sky. Did Trunks think Goten couldn't live without him? Because he was horribly wrong.

An hour later Goten arrived at his house, soaking wet. He had walked the whole way thinking about his and Trunks' conversation.

Chi-chi opened her mouth to question Goten but he cut her off. "Mom can we start packing tomorrow? I want to leave for British Columbia as soon as possible."

"Well that's fine Goten, but what's going on?"

"Nothing Mom, just leave me alone." Goten stomped up the stairs and went up to his room. He closed his door behind himself and began to pull his wet clothes off of himself. He changed into some of his pajamas and climbed under his sheets. Goten turned on his radio so he wouldn't have to listen to his own thoughts.

The next morning Goten woke up and went downstairs for breakfast. He put some toast in the toaster and began to butter them when Chi-chi came down the stairs.

"How are you feeling today Goten?"

"Better. Do we have an boxes to pack my stuff into?"

"We have some in the basement. We can start packing after breakfast."

All that day Chi-chi, Goku and Goten, packed all of Goten's stuff into boxes. Goten also phoned UBC and got a room on the campus. By that night Goten was ready to move to Canada. Goten phoned Gohan and invited him to a goodbye dinner Chi-chi was cooking.

That night, as Goten celebrated with his family, he tried to forget about Trunks and what they had talked about the previous day. Goten laughed and talked with his family as they talked about their own University experiences. Gohan had a couple of funny stories about some of his old professors. Videl also had a couple of stories to share.

After Gohan, Videl and Pan left, Goten sat down on the couch. He felt less nervous knowing he'd have a lot of time to get used to the new city before he had to go to school. He'd probably be able to find a part time job in that time.

Goten went to bed early that night and he prepared himself for the trip tomorrow. As he lay in his bed, Trunks crossed his mind again. Goten fought his anger down. `I will just wait until he is ready to apologize to me.'