Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Warning ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: sorry its taken me so long to get this up. This chapter was extremely difficult to write. So please enjoy. Remember, I don’t own the characters or the series.

“Wake up, Marron.” She opened her eyes and squinted, the sun beating through the window.
“It’s time to show us the city.” The voice said speaking broken English, replacing the words he didn’t know with Saiyan.
“But someone’s holding me.” She replied to the voice in her head.
“Who is it? Look at their face.” She rolled over and found her mother lying next to her.
“It’s my mother, Android 18.” She felt as though a string were being pulled taunt inside her as the connection to the Saiyan grew stronger.
“I see. If you don’t want her to be hurt, leave her be. Do not wake her.” The connection inside her mind grew as she leaned toward her mother, wanting to wake her and find out where she’d been for the last month.
“I’m warning you, girl. If you wake her, I’ll tear her mind apart piece by piece. Now, get dressed!” The force of his yelling through her mind almost tore a shriek from her but she suppressed it and got out of bed carefully.
The air was unseasonably warm as she walked through the streets of West City, the sun soaking into her black shirt and making her sweat. The golden dome came into view as the sun hit its zenith in the sky. She’d walked for hours, showing the Saiyans the landmarks of the city including the governors’ mansion and Capsule Corps headquarters.
“You’ve been a big help to us, blonde angel. In exchange for your help, I will allow you to converse with your friends for the rest of the day without causing you pain. Tomorrow, though, we have an even larger mission for you.” Marron felt the link between her and the Saiyans shrink until it was barely there. She breathed a sigh of relief and ran into the house.
The voices from the kitchen let her know where Bulma and her mother were and she ran to them, collapsing at her mother’s feet and wrapping her arms around her legs.
“Mama.” She sobbed into her mother’s knee. 18 pulled her daughters frail form into her lap and held her as she cried.
“I’m here, darling.” She whispered into her daughter’s hair, soothingly.
“Mama, I’ve missed you.” Her words disjointed from her sobs.
“I’ve missed you too, sweetheart.” Marron’s sobs calmed to hiccups and she looked into her mother’s unaged face.
“Where have you been, Mama?” she asked quietly. 18 looked away from her daughter to the window. Bulma quietly left the kitchen to let them speak.
“I’ve been with your uncle.” 18 answered quietly. Marron nodded, knowing that her mother had never been able to spend time with her twin brother since her marriage to Marron’s father. Not that her father disapproved, but because she’d been busy raising a family.
“How is Uncle 17?”
“He’s well. He wants to come see you some time since he hasn’t seen you in so long.” Marron smiled.
“I’d love to.”
“Well, maybe we’ll go after all this business with the Saiyans is over.” Marron nodded and stood, wandering over to the window. “Are you hungry? There’s some leftovers from breakfast in the fridge. I’ll heat them up for you.”
“Left overs in this house? I doubt that.” Marron said, glancing back at her mother.
“Well, Trunks didn’t come down for breakfast and Vegeta was out looking for you this morning.” Marron glanced back out the window before answering her mother. She felt the connection to the Saiyans grow as she thought about her response.
“I went for a walk around the city today. I haven’t been here in so long that I forgot how beautiful it is.” She lied. The connection dissipated and she sighed, relieved. Her mother eyed her suspiciously for a bit and then shrugged.
“Well, I guess I’ll go find Bulma so she can let her husband know you came back.” 18 said, leaving the room. Marron turned back to the window, looking at the tree line where she used to play with the boys. She walked out the kitchen door and made her way to the spot, remembering all the games of ‘damsel in distress.’ Trunks and Goten would battle imaginary foes and then turn on each other, vying for the title of ‘knight in shining armor.’ Trunks always won.
As Marron came to the tree line, she sat down on the boulder that used to be her inescapable tower and remembered back to the time, three years earlier, when Trunks had become her knight in shining armor for real. But the long distance relationship had put a strain on both of them and in the end, Marron refused to move closer. Satan City was so much closer to her parent’s than West City. Then, three weeks later, her father had passed and her mother had left. She could still see the sorrow in Trunks’ eyes on the day of the funeral, so full of anguish and guilt. He had come to her after the ceremony and, on his knees, had begged her to take him back. Reluctantly, she’d said no, wanting to stand on her own feet and be the mature adult she knew she could be.
With a sigh, she looked back at the gleaming yellow dome, feeling alone. Though there were people in the house that cared about her, she felt that none of them could understand her. Her mother had lost her husband and, in her grief, had abandoned her daughter in her greatest hour of need. Marron had the feeling that the only reason why her mother was here now was because she’d thought Marron was hurt.
Hearing footsteps approach, Marron turned and found Trunks walking slowly toward her. She could see the uncertainty in his eyes; she saw that every time he was around her now. Awkwardness surrounded him where before he would have been cloaked with confidence.
“You, uh… you look like you need some company. May I sit?” he asked, uneasily.
“Sure.” She answered, quietly. He sat next to her on the flat surface of the boulder. They sat in silence for a bit and then he chuckled, almost startling her.
“Do you remember when we used to play here, when we were little?”
“Yes.” She whispered, looking away to hide her tears; tears of sadness, knowing they could never go back to those days. He looked down at his hands, playing with his nails nervously.
“Marron, I know I can never understand what you’re going through, but I want you to know that I’ll always be here for you.” He took a breath and blew it out slowly. “The night we had the fight, I wasn’t just asking you to move in with me. The fight blew out of proportion before I could get to my real question.” She turned to face him, slowly, knowing where the conversation was leading but hoping she was wrong. “Then at your father’s funeral, I tried again but knew that I couldn’t ask you there.” She noticed then, that there was something in his hands.
“What are you trying to say, Trunks?” she asked, slowly, her voice shaking.
“What I’m trying to say, Marron, is that I’m a coward.” He stood, leaving the item in his hand in his place. “I want you to have it, Marron.” He said, walking away. She watched him take a few steps before she looked beside her. On the rock sat a black velvet box and she picked it up with shaking fingers. The lid creaked as she pushed it open and she stared down at a small silver diamond ring. She shut it quickly and balled her small fist around it, preparing to pitch it at his head, when she felt the connection to the Saiyan grow stronger.
“Wait,” the voice said. “What does this trinket mean?”
“He is asking me to marry him. To be his forever.”
She felt a chuckle whisper through her head.
“You will say yes.” He said, simply.
“No I will not!”
“Yes, you will, little girl.”
She felt pain like a lightning bolt rip through her brain and she gripped her head in her hands, the velvet of the box rubbing against her temple.
“Why?” She asked the voice, sobbing quietly.
“Because, this unforeseen event will play nicely into our plans. You will do this or you will wish you were dead. I promise the pain will be excruciating.” She sobbed for a few moments before she nodded her head in agreement.
“That’s a good girl. Now run along.” She stood, wiping her tears on her long sleeve and ran after Trunks who had almost made it back to the house.
“Trunks, wait.” She hollered, catching up with him. He froze and turned to her slowly.
“If you stopped me to tell me no, you didn’t have to. I know what your answer is.” He said, sadly, looking at the ground.
“My answer is yes, Trunks.” She interjected. He stopped suddenly, and looked at her.
“What? Really?” He said, the light of joy gleaming in his eyes. His elation brought a true smile to her face and she nodded, taking the ring from the box. He took the ring from her fingers and slid it on to her ring finger. He swept her up into his arms and spun her in a circle, laughing.
“I love you, Marron.” She felt joy wash over her as he kissed her.
“I love you too, Trunks.”
The evening flew past in a blur; their mothers already planning the event. Only Vegeta was stoic through dinner, staring at Marron. He looked as though he was trying to read her thoughts. As the sun set they all sat in the family room talking about the upcoming nuptials. Marron’s eyes grew heavy and she started to nod off, jerking suddenly when she realized she’d fallen asleep. She kissed Trunks good night and made her way to her room. As she opened the door, a voice from behind her made her jump.
“You’re not doing this because they told you to, are you?” Vegeta asked her in a gruff voice.
“No, Vegeta. I love your son dearly.” Realization hit her then, she really meant those words. Without the Saiyans interference, she would’ve thrown the ring, yelled at Trunks, and then, eventually, fallen into his arms saying yes. That’s how it had always been with them, one struggle after another but always coming to an agreement in the end.
Vegeta nodded and walked away quietly.
“It’s time to wake up, Marron.” The voice pulled her from her dreams and she looked around her dark room.
“But the sun’s not even up yet. Can I sleep a little longer?” she asked, closing her eyes and settling back down into the warm blankets.
“I’m afraid not, my dear. You have an important mission today, remember?”
“Yes.”
She replied with an irritated sigh, getting up.
“You must look beautiful today. Wear the burgundy dress Bulma purchased for you yesterday.”
“But it will be cold out today and that dress doesn’t have sleeves.”
“It will not be cold where you are going, blonde angel.”
She showered and dressed quickly, sneaking out of the house before anyone else woke.
“You showed me a cliff yesterday. I want you to go there so I can see the colors in the rising sun.” She walked to the other side of the city in the cold morning darkness and as she walked, she notice people started following her.
“Why are people are following me?” she asked the voice.
“They want to see the beauty too. They are all like you, Marron. They have all lost things dear to them and they are tired. These people need a leader and I think you will be a great leader.” The cliff came into view and she walked as close to the edge as she dared.
“But where am I suppose to lead them?” she asked, feeling unease spread through her.
“You are leading them home, Marron. Show them the beauty they would never have seen otherwise in the canyon walls and then show them how to end their suffering. Lead them home, Marron.” The sun started to rise, painting the opposite cliff face with beautiful colors. She looked to the people gathering around her, their faces blank, eyes glazed over. Tears welled in her eyes as she looked down into the canyon, unable to see the bottom in the soft morning light.
“I can’t do it.” She whispered to the voice, tears streaming unchecked down her face.
“You will do it Marron. I don’t want to cause you pain but I will if I have to you and you know it.”
“You’re never going to leave me alone, are you?”
“No I won’t Marron. Now, lead these people home. Your father is waiting for you.”
She brought her hands to her face sobbing uncontrollable. The sun glinted off her engagement ring and she stopped, staring at it.
“Oh, Trunks, I’m sorry I got you mixed up in this. But don’t grieve for me. I’m going to see my father and, some day, I’ll see you again. And we’ll be together forever then. I love you.” Marron took a deep breath and wiped the tears from her face. With one last glance at the growing numbers of people surrounding her, she looked at the beauty in front of her and took a step.
Trunks woke suddenly, hearing a familiar voice speaking to him. He looked around his room and found himself alone. Thinking the voice had been a dream, he sank back down into the soft bed and fell back to sleep.