Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ What Exactly Is Involved In A Saiyan Mating Ritual? ❯ Vegeta Versus...? ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Again, a big thanks goes out to all those wonderful people that have reviewed or emailed me about this fic. Oh yeah and I've changed my email address, so its now ember_chan@hotmail.com. Now read chapter six and enjoy!

Disclaimer: *Pouts* Yeah, it's true I don't own Dragonball Z *falls into an uncontrollable sobbing fit* Please *sniff* don't sue!

Chapter six

An increase of the already substantial mist curled around the arena as Bulma watched her future mate, smirking in a slightly even more superior way than usual. She didn't mind admitting that it made her nervous. Arrogance was an everyday sentiment when dealing with the Saiyan no Ouji. It was part of what he was. Asking the tide to stop turning would be simpler than teaching him some modesty, but Bulma had only ever seen this type of arrogance directed towards two people.

The first was Yamcha, and she had no doubt that it had been a result of his jealousy of their relationship. She didn't have any fears now, though. Vegeta had never shown any desire to kill the warrior after Porunga had brought him back. He had proved his superiority once, and that was all that mattered to him. After they had split up Vegeta had no reason to resent him, and had dropped the grudge to a mere dislike. It was something that he showed to everybody and therefore wasn't destructive.

Her confidence shrunk when she thought of that second person, and her heart ached. She couldn't deceive herself though, and the more she thought about it, the more plausible it became. She took a step back and felt her stomach churn as the idea affirmed itself in her mind. "No Vegeta." She pleaded into the fog, "anyone, but him!"

A bright, white light shone out from underneath an intricately carved arch directly opposite her raised position. The rays streamed across the already confused floor, trying there hardest to burn into her vision.

A low rasping made her turn her attention away from the light show. Vegeta's voice always managed to make her heart skip a beat, and even the hairs on the back of her neck, stood up in excited anticipation as his words curled around the arena. "I choose the only fighter that has the audacity to say that he is stronger than me!"

Bulma closed her eyes, and felt as though her heart was about to explode. She was right! She had always known that this was one of his ambitions, and had tried hard to ignore it, hoping that it was just a way of saving face. Her reason had dictated that his desire would pass in time and familiarity, even entertaining hopes that he would realize how much it would pain her to witness, and, for her sake, restrain that thirst for supremacy. This proved that his threats were deadly serious and her blood ran cold, even before he spoke the corroborating words.

The whole stadium fell quiet, "I choose Kakarrot, second son to the third class warrior Bardok." The message was met with silence as all those spectators, not as well informed as Bulma, fumbled with the idea. There was a general whisper raised by the assembled Saiyans, before the relished idea of a fight, between two, very obviously strong men, overshadowed all confusion, and the customary ovation erupted from every margin of hearing, flooding the scene in anticipation of the impending carnage.

Bulma seemed to be the only being, less than happy, at the thought of observing the up coming battle. She slumped down dejectedly on the provided throne and cupped her head in her hands, rubbing her temples. This wasn't what she had expected when she had agreed to be his mate. This wasn't what she wanted.

A change in the general atmosphere among the spectators made her look up from her present miserable state. The almost deafening cheers had faded into a mixture of jeers and whispering and the light that had shone out from the stadium arches was now blocked under the prominence of a shadow. An all too familiar figure stood before the intense rays stopping them short and stamping an unmistakable outline onto her vision, "Goku?" she whispered, being far too emotional to speak any louder.

The shadow of her best friend moved away from the side of the stadium and walked casually down the centre of the lit torches. His stride was steady, and controlled as he made his way towards the fighting area. Stepping effortlessly through the flaming boundaries he strode over to a nominated starting position and the last two living members of a noble warrior race, stood face to face waiting for instructions to start.

Bulma closed her eyes, not wanting to think about what was going to happen. She could feel tears threatening, and couldn't risk letting them flood down her cheeks. "Why Vegeta?" she whispered, "You don't have anything to prove to me?"

A hand rested gently on her shoulder making her jump in surprise, "You do not wish them to fight?" asked a confused Kandai. "Why? It is traditional for the male to fight his greatest rival in the ritual."

"Well it's a crappy tradition!" she spat, "What's the point?"

"The point is to prove that he is worthy of you! You should take it as a compliment"

"Well I guess, the idea of being fought over is romantic, but Go… I mean Kakarrot is my best friend. We grew up together as children."

"Ah yes… well I see how that could put a damper on things." Stammered the old man.

"I just can't believe he's doing this," she sighed, "and why the hell did Goku agree? It makes no sense!"

"Honour dictates that he must agree. He would be classed as a coward if he refused."

"That's not what I meant."

"Really then what…"

A low throated chuckle made the guardian stop mid sentence. Both he and Bulma turned to face the noise, only to see that Vegeta had left the ring and was floating in front of them. "Do you like my handiwork?" he asked, making a pointed reference by the tilt of his head, to show that he was talking to Bulma.

"What?"

"Baka! You don't really think this is Kakarrot do you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Have you forgotten already that this is only a simulation? Just as if we were playing the original game! The fool is probably tucked up in bed drooling in his sleep at this precise minute. He and I will meet at some point, but not like this! The Saiyan you see standing down there is based on the purple alien we fought in the final stages of the link, all I did was use some of Kakarrot's blood to reprogram his profile."

"Really?" she sniffed, brightening up a little.

"Yes." He said firmly.

"Then why didn't I sense it earlier?"

"Because you are far too emotional!" he scowled, "Emotions cloud judgement. They are dangerous."

Kandai blinked a couple of times, "Did I miss something?" he asked innocently.

"Never mind us Kandai" Vegeta replied turning his back and once again taking up his position in the fighting ring. "Carry on as before."

The guardian rubbed his temples. There had to be some sort of commandment that prevented mortals from confusing such respected and hard working deities like that! He sighed and tried to get his thoughts into order, "If this isn't the right person then I will have to stop the ceremony immediately!" he said quietly.

Bulma shook her head "Don't mind Vegeta." She smiled, "He's just trying to confuse you."

"Well he succeeded… tell me native of Chikyu… Is this the Saiyan that Vegeta wishes to fight or not?"

"Yeah, everything is just as it should be." She smiled dismissively, her conscience eased. Vegeta had told her the truth. The fighter standing opposite him was just some weird amalgamation he had thrown together, and made to look like Goku. The thought of the two of them fighting was definitely weird, but not anywhere near as overwhelming as it had been before.

"Very well!" Kandai spoke carefully, trying to shake off any remaining confusion. "This will be a five minute bout! There are only two restrictions! One… no flying, and two… no ki attacks. The first person to step out of the arena, break one of the rules, submit, or lose consciousness, will lose. Do you both understand?"

On cue, both competitors nodded their confirmation, neither taking their eyes off the other. He continued, but this time in Saiyan. At a relevant pause the fighters turned to face their god and bowed, respectively, if not grudgingly in Vegeta's case. They spun back to face each other and just about continued the gesture.

Vegeta lowered his stance and looked over at the incarnation of his greatest rival. The likeness was uncanny. He had never seen the baka wearing Saiyan armor before, but had to admit that it made him look more of the warrior that he should have been. What kind of idiotic fool, thought up the notion of fighting in pyjamas anyway? He thought distractedly, remembering Goku's usual orange and blue gi. Shaking off the bizarre thought he tried to turn his attention back to where it should be. The fight, but was caught off guard by a glimpse of the only spectator that mattered to him. The look of concern she had displayed earlier had gone and he wasn't sure whether to be glad or not.

He had expected her to feel anxious when she first found out about his opponent, but had no desire to check that feeling too soon. She had to become inured to the idea that a firm and violent rivalry existed between the two of them.

Unknown to Bulma his ambitions had changed slightly. Death didn't need to be the end anymore and he had it all meticulously planned out. The desire to battle with Kakarrot to the death, proving once and for all who the strongest was still something that he felt he had to do, but it didn't need to be the final showdown. Once it was affirmed that he was the more powerful he would simply use Bulma's spaceship to travel to new Namek, and wish Kakarrot back.

He had asked himself many times, why the total destruction of his greatest rival wasn't so appealing as it had been only a few weeks ago, but all his reasoning brought him grinding back to the one that he didn't want to hear. He wasn't controllable and she hadn't changed him, but she was making him want to change. Kakarrot's death was the only thing that Bulma would never forgive him for. He was her best friend, and although that didn't mean anything to the Saiyan no Ouji, she did. His job as her mate was to protect her and ensure her well being. He couldn't attack her in that way and still call himself her mate.

He took a final glimpse of cerulean eyes before Kandai blocked his view and reminded him that he had some business to take care of. The alien in Goku's body was no push over. In fact it was quite the opposite. If truth be told then Vegeta had only managed to beat the purple goon once before, and that was only with Bulma's help.

It wasn't a straightforward battle. Everything in the link was controlled by sheer mental thought. It was like playing an ordinary computer game only your mind was the game pad. Finding the right buttons to press was nothing short of trying to do the most advanced forms of algebra, whilst standing on your head. In short, it was mind-numbingly difficult. The slightest increase in power needed careful thought, and concentration otherwise it would simply dissipate as quickly as it was created.

He cleared his mind, enjoying the freedom of thought before the agony would begin. Then in an instant, like a shadow in the warrior's glaringly empty thoughts, one word intruded, "Hajime" and his eyes snapped open.

It was then, at the precise second of the last syllable as it faded out of even Saiyan hearing, that Vegeta had his first regrets. I really am a complete baka! He cursed inwardly. Why in HFIL did I choose the strongest character in this whole damn program to fight! It's only one of the most important battles of my entire life. Here I am, with this damnable blood of mine, not being satisfied with anything but the strongest opponent when, for probably the first time in my entire life, I want to get the fighting over as quickly as possible! Baka! Baka! Baka!

Then everything seemed to happen in slow motion. He caught a slight spark of movement out of his left eye. It was barely even visible for a fraction of a second, but it was just enough warning to give him time to dip his head to avoid the first blow. He knew the second would be on its way soon, and closed his eyes hoping from some help from his sixth sense. It kicked in, again just in time, and gave him the opportunity to put a hand up to catch hold of the flying fist, before it made contact with his nose.

He bared his teeth as Goku brought his only free fist at the shorter Saiyan, and only just about managed to block that one too. A silent consensus seemed to be agreed between the two warriors. Their fingers parted as each grabbed the others hand, and a mercy type strength contest began.

Vegeta felt the strain on his whole upper torso as each battled for supremacy. It started at the very tips of his fingers, ebbing through the numerous ligaments of his hand, straining its way down his well-toned arms and stretching across every computer generated fibre of his chest.

Again he closed his eyes and tried to battle with the logistics in his head as his body halted the onslaught, and allowed his mind time to work. He could feel it! He was close… just a little further… almost there! He just needed to concentrate a little more, and yes! He could feel the power. It burnt inside his chest and expelled along every fabricated nerve of his body.

An almost unnoticeable heat haze crowded around him as the energy flowed and flickered against his tanned skin, giving fortitude to his arms laborious duties, and tipping the favour ever so slightly in his direction. It was only now that he actually started to relax, enjoying the feeling of pure power as its caressing influence washed over him. As always, though, his arrogance was one of his major weaknesses, and the triumphant smirk was soon replaced with grim determination as Goku followed suit, matching Vegeta's power increase.

Both locked together and grunted as their power surged head on, neither refusing to budge an inch. Gritting his teeth and inspiring his mind into action again Vegeta managed to get the upper hand. He remembered his previous mistake and decided that, this time, it would be wisest to act quickly whilst he still held on to the slim advantage. Feigning an attempted knee to the groin, the Prince of the Saiyans managed to distract his rivals attention just enough to shake free his hands, raise them over his head and slam them squarely onto the lower lumber region of his opponents back.

Goku's computer induced image, had a brief struggle at dignity by staying stock still as the gloved hands made contact, and, giving credit where credit is due, for a few seconds it looked as though the blow hadn't fazed the taller Saiyan at all. Then almost in an instant the resilience seemed to completely buckle, and nothing but a face full of cold hard stone was able to give testimony to the violence at which his head hit the floor.

A steady stream of dust spewed up from the dry floor, billowing into the air and making the impact look even more impressive than it already would have done. Vegeta stood perfectly back up again after turning the follow-through at just the right moment to keep his balance. He kept his distance and lowered his stance in anticipation.

Eventually the dust settled and the image of Goku steadily got back up to his feet. The smallest dribble of blood appeared at the corner of his mouth, but was coolly brushed away with the back of a calloused hand. The grimace that had set his features, and distorted his usual cheery face, recovered quickly from the blow, to a simple innocent determination. His stance mimicked Vegeta's as they each glowed a light blue and concentrated on powering up to the next level.

Electric energy licked and sparked its way over the fighting arena, making the air thick with tension. Vegeta was feeling the strain as the power grew inside of him. He couldn't help but throw his head back as his eyes rolled to the back of his skull and the pure energy flooded down each and every nerve of his body. Veins pumped and muscles bulged under its influence. He was almost there now, and the slow trickle of power that had steadily increased his fighting level, suddenly burst out in a final flurry of fury. He screamed out under the immense pressurized release, trying to concentrate through the feeling and not loose control over it.

The last wave escaped in an explosion of ki and his head snapped back. He was greeted with the sight of his opponent doing the same. Almost instantaneously his eyes widened as the warrior pushed off with the back foot and ran directly at him. A smirk pulled at his face as the blows came in at him. They skimmed passed his head, as he skipped back dodging, blocking and throwing a few of his own. Then nothing.

Goku had fazed out of vision so quickly that even Vegeta's senses were lost. He tried desperately to lock onto his ki, but was a fraction of a second too late. An elbow slammed into the back of his neck, as his rival filtered back into normal perception behind him. He was knocked forward five or six feet and just about managed to keep his balance, stopping himself millimetres from the edge of the designated arena. He ducked down as Goku's attack continued and manage to barrel out of the way just in time. The warrior stopped just short of the flaming boundaries, crisscrossing the floor trying to confuse his opponent.

Vegeta was left in a daze as the taller Saiyan whizzed by him. He just about managed to keep up pace, changing stances to keep the other fighter in view, but it was sapping his energy and patience. "Will you stay still Kakarrot," he shouted angrily. He should have known better. Goku picked his moment, as the prince was distracted, managing to pick his way through the usually impenetrable defences, and slam an iron fist into his face.

Vegeta skidded backwards under the pressure, but stopped sooner than his competitor thought he would. His feet pushed at the dry stone, slowing the momentum and turning it to his advantage as he skipped out of the reverse action to repay the favour by landing his own blow.

Both were expelled away from the other as the powers collided. Vegeta managed to get his bearings quicker though and rebounding the energy spun away along the curves of the arena stopping in a low long stance, one hand stretched forward and tensed, the other guarding his groin. Goku controlled his slide and pushed off the stone, charging Vegeta. The Saiyan no Ouji was stunned by the brashness and tried his hardest to stay firm. His nerve lasted until the last split second. He twisted out of the way only to find one of his arms pinned up behind his back and expertly trapped in an agonizingly effective wristlock.

Arrogant scowl met abruptly with cold stone floor, as a leg snaked around royal ankles, taking them clean away. The solid floor cracked and split into fragmented sections, not too dissimilar to the effect of crazy paving, under the pressure. The prince's trapped limb was still retained in his competitor's grip of steel, only now the powerful upper part was pinned to the floor by an equally dominant knee. It was bent and twisted at the elbow, and coiled painfully in the same hold, only slightly revised, at the wrist.

Vegeta's bloodied, face rose out from the depths of the floor, under the intensified hold on his arm and he screamed out in pain. "I don't want to hurt you," came Goku's level voice, "Just say you quit and I'll let you go!" He turned on the pressure as inducement for Vegeta to do as he was told. The increase in pain scored along his arm, earning another cry to curl, bloodcurdlingly around the stadium.

High above the fighting area Bulma held firmly onto pious robes, and sunk her head into a holy shoulder, not being able to listen to the screams of the man she loved. "No Vegeta, don't put yourself through this! Just tap out please!"

An almost skeletal hand reached down and patted her reassuringly on the back. "Do not fear. Vegeta is strong. He can take it, and besides, I really don't think you want him to submit."

"What do you mean!" she sobbed into dusky robes.

"If Vegeta loses then the ceremony is over. There are no second chances! So if he submits, then that's it. No more mating ritual, no more tasks, and more importantly no *ahem* fornication."

Bulma's mouth dropped a full foot, as she looked on at the fighters with sheer terror on her face. "Don't you dare tap out Vegeta, do you hear me! I will never ever forgive you if you submit. Fight damn it! Fight! Pound him into the ground. I know you can do it! Do it for your pride! Do it for me! DO IT FOR THE SEX!"

**********

Whoa man that chapter was hard work! I really didn't want to upset any Goku fans, myself included, *yep, just because I think Vegeta is the sexier doesn't mean I hate Goku* and felt I had to disinterest it from Goku's perspective to keep with the impetus of wanting Vegeta to win. Holey crap I make things hard for myself, lol.