Dragon Knights Fan Fiction ❯ Melt the Ice ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Melt the Ice

(Written to Acoustic #3 by the Goo Goo Dolls)

{Disclaimer: I do not own the copyrighted properties shown and/or displayed in the following work of fiction. They are copyright of the original creator and I do not claim any rights to them whatsoever.}

He could still remember when he'd first come to the Dragon Tribe. How kindly Lykouleon had treated him, how he despised them all for it. Lykouleon had promised him that no one outside the Inner Circle of the Tribe would ever know how Kharl had altered him. How that accursed alkahest had made him what he was.

{They painted up your secrets, with the lies they told to you.}

He remembered how wonderful it felt to get away when he and the other two Dragon Knights, Rune and Thatz, had gone to retrieve Nadil's head to prevent the resurrection the yokai of Nadil's Army were planning.

{And the least they ever gave you, was the most you ever knew.}

Rath Illuser sighed and propped his head up in his gloved hands. How had he gotten here? Why was he here? Forced to endure the presence of the one he loved but could never have? He'd had dreams once, goals. Where had they gone? He knew how and when they'd left him, but where? They had left him with his humanity. When Kharl had tampered with him so that his only goal was to get revenge through killing demons.

{And I wonder where these dreams go, when the world gets in your way. What's the point in all this screaming? No one's listening anyway.}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rune sighed dismally. Everyone had a lover except him, or at least someone to love. Even Fire was in a relationship! But he didn't even have anyone to talk to. Not without Tinlet, anyway.

{Your voice is small and fading, and your hiding here unknown.}

Glancing over at Lykouleon and Raseleane, he knew he'd never find consolation there. The queen was currently kissing the Dragon Lord passionately. Or at least she was until Lykouleon pushed her away. He was starring mournfully off to the left.

{And your mother loves your father, cuz she's got no where to go.}

Rune didn't know it, nor did the confused Raseleane, but Lord Lykouleon was starring at Ruwalk. He'd loved Ruwalk for many years, maybe he still did, he wasn't sure. For a long time he'd been sure that the Yellow Officer had loved him too. But it was Alfeegi that the dark haired man was blushing at and speaking to.

{And she wonders where these dreams go, cuz the world got in her way}

Ruwalk grinned widely, joyful tears filling his eyes. He then Alfeegi looked up now, a shocked look on his face. He said something and lunged at the White Officer, embracing him, kissing him, loving him. Loving him the way he had swore he'd only love Lykouleon. The Dragon Lord frowned sadly and walked over to the railing to gaze down upon the lower balcony and castle grounds.

{What's the point in all this trying? Nothing's changing anyway.}

Rath had abandoned his earlier chosen place of residence at the southern lower balcony and opted to go wonder off somewhere. Down on the emerald green lawn Thatz and Kitchel were engaged in what appeared to be a friendly game of tag, save for the large wooden mallet in Kitchel's hands. It seemed that Thatz couldn't keep quiet. Rune muttered something about rescuing Thatz from the easily angered girl thief's clutches. There were three figures sitting down beside the lake, little did Lykouleon know who they were or what was about to happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rath's eyes widened as he felt Cecia's lips press against his own.

"Oh, hold me Rath." She giggled playfully. "Take me into your arms, for I shall love your forever!"

Rath could tell she was lying through her teeth, but still her words felt good.

{They pressed their lips against you, and you love the lies they say.}

Suddenly something inside him clicked. Pushing Cesia off him and muttering a quick apology he ran the short distance between himself and the Blue Dragon Officer. Flinging himself down onto the ground, he buried his face deep into the soft scented cloth of Kai-Stern's shirt. He was ready to make a confession.

{And I tried so hard to reach you, but your falling anyway.}

"My muff vu, Kly-Blurn." he mumbled, his voice muffled by the material.

"What?" Kai-Stern raised an eyebrow and laughed.

Rath raised his head up and, having freed his mouth from anything mildly resembling shirt repeated what he said.

"I said, I love you, Kai-Stern," he explained, blushing.

"Oh. I know." The Blue Officer stated casually. "I've always known."

{And you know I see right through you.}

"But how?" Rath demanded. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"I had to wait for you to tell me in your own time." The blonde man explained. "Never rush love, sweet Rath. Never ever rush it."

{Cuz the world got in your way}

"What did you say?" Rath's eyes widened and he glanced over his shoulder to make sure Cesia wasn't watching. She wasn't though, Zoma was. But Rath didn't really care. "T-tell me Kai-Stern!"

"Shhhh..." Kai-Stern soothed him, rubbing Rath's dark hair out of his eyes. "Never rush love."

{What's the point in all this screaming?}

They were silent for a few minutes before he continued.

"However, I've been ready all along." He paused to pull Rath into his lap before pressing his lips gently against the Fire Dragon Knight's. "I love you too, Rath Illuser. I always have."

{No one's listening anyway...}

~*Owari*~