Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ Mercy ❯ Adieu ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tiny droplets of water suspends in the air clinging to every thing then nothing. The moon and stars struggle to shine through to catch a glimpse between the breaks. The wind it self seemed to be strain under the tarp of heavy mist, chilling the very bones of any that it touches. Twenty-two stories above the ground floor this penthouse courtyard owned by Zacchaeus and Devi Mint is a miniature paradise. Arranged to lead the observer through a tranquil maze of color and scents it is a perfect setting for seduction. One is a man of average height; his skin is dark and smooth as velvet. His eyes are a hauntingly copper brown with flecks of gold and his hands as those of an artist in a word, beautiful. The other is a woman she meets him eye level and doesn't give and inch to anyone. She is stubborn as the very ground she walks on and just as giving. Opening his arms to her she steps in his embrace; a tear falls from his eye, a drop of blood shatters on the brick.
 
 
She leads them into the apartment, away from the gloom of the night and haunting noise of the city muffled by the fog. She turns towards the bar and pours some Greek wine from Patra; they are both in deep thought, of the same subject. He turns to close the doors the balcony, with a heavy heart. She disappears into the bedroom to shower and change. Letting the water cascade over her body, she remembers how they met over fifty years ago in a dusty bookstore tucked away on Twelfth Street not far from Broad St. They are in her bedroom; he is leaning against the windowsill waiting for her to change her mind, knowing deep in his heart that she won't.
 
 
“Are you sure that you want to do this Devi?” An elegant voice replied, “Please fill no guilt, I need you to do this. We both know that I have been fighting cancer for ten years. I am tired of dying, the doctors said that the cancer has spread and there is a very slim chance that I will survive. I want to die with dignity not like a hollow shell.” Shifting her eyes away from him, “full of pain and remorse” Bowing her head with a weakening voice “a person that everyone once knew.” He turns in anger “Then let me make you one of us.” Placing her small hand over his mouth, “No, I don't want to live forever.” Sighing, “I had my time on earth and seen my full, peace is all that I want now.” Arching his left eyebrow he removes her hand gently, “So this is you way of cheating death?” Smiling, her face beaming in delightful mischief “You know, you take all the fun out of it.” She places his hand on her breast, above her heart, “This I give willingly, matter of fact I insist on it.” She looks deeply in his eyes, hoping to draw him inside her so he can understand her request. “You were there when I married. At each of my children's birth and there when my husband died. And finally when I was diagnosed. I am pleading for you to take me.” She can feel him resisting her as she rushes on “I know that you see the difference already, how it tears my body down as well as my spirit. Tears form in her eyes as her hold tightens on his hand “Kevin, you know that I am not afraid of Death and what awaits me, what I am afraid of is that it will be in a cold room hooked up to machines, dragging the rest of my life out. The children will argue how I would want to die, but none will want to let me go. While I am connected to machine to breathe for me, put food in my body, take it out and dull the unending pain. All during my very being is sucked out before me. I won't be able to say what I want or do what I want or even think what I want.”
 
 
Removing his hand from hers, his faces changes from the loving and understanding to cold unyielding stone. He steps from her, with each step back he changes to his true form, a nightchild. His eyes are a bottomless black; his teeth are long as three-inch needles as saliva slowly drips off them. As he speaks his skin looks cold and gray, his hands are claws as he crouches ready to claim his pound of flesh and more importantly blood. “Devi, you speak about the children and their feelings, how do you think they will feel finding you home dead covered in blood?” He was mocking her and her fears; she couldn't believe that he was doing this. “You son of a bitch, you think that you can scare me? Your mind games will not work with me! I have seen you in your worst, you fucking blood sucking parasite.” Defiantly she stares him down. Her hair barely showed any gray, it flows around her shoulders. Skin the color of caramel with a few wrinkles and her mind was always learning and expanding. Through the years of knowing this creature she has shown him love in it's many forms. He admires and adores her, she is one of the few that just accepted him for what he was and asked for nothing more.
 
 
Indeed, she is one of the few fires that make his existence bearable. Kevin was jealous of her husband but understood that she wanted children and a man to grow old with her. His mortal queen and love of his many lifetimes, was dying and she would not let him help her. She loves so fiercely any would bow to her will. She is loved so, by her children husband and all that she touches. His vision clouds for a moment, as his blood tears threaten to fall. Her soft cry penetrates into his thoughts “Please don't leave me: Standing in the foyer he slowly turns to her, she leans against the doorway. Straining for breath she leans against the doorway. Straining for breath she erupts into a fit of coughs. Trying to stifle the spell staggers slightly, rushing to her he smells iron. Falling to her knees her body spasm, tears fall against his shirt as blood stains her hand. Looking at her hand in shock he swallowed his dread, she was closer that he wanted to admit. Picking her up, he walked to the living room. Decorated in warm colors of red, gold and brown he set her down in his lap. Delicately wiping the blood from her hand and mouth he murmurs sweet encouraging words. Both ignore the lush paintings antique furniture and carved figures. The plush pillows cradle the combine weight of them as he loving tends to her. Slowly her shallow, laboring breath becomes strong again. She need not say more. His denial was shattered by what he saw in her very eyes, hopeless fear.
 
 
After wiping away the distressful evidence of her illness he leaves her side, soon she hears him puttering around the kitchen. At her side once again he hands her a glass of water. Looking up his averts away but not before she sees the defeat in his eyes. Guilt claims her, she didn't think of how this may affect him. Her dark forbidden love, “Love me, Kevin.” Kneeling before her he smiles as she drank the water. “Later my love …later.” Taking the empty glass from her hand he sets in down on the coffee table lifting her close he walks to the bedroom. Curling her arms around him she sighs blissfully. Feeling her heartbeat echoing he savors the sound as her warm skin meets the coolness of his. Settling her down between the covers he softly kisses and caress her as she inhales his spicy cologne. Peace settles between them as her heartbeat fades away.